Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

404notfound posted:

Green is good and red is bad, you guys are really overthinking it

I have a simple rhyme I use in my job at the kindergarten: "Green man is go man, red man is dead man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They had ones that made a loud “INFECTED” noise but that kind of gave away the game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I have a simple rhyme I use in my job at the kindergarten: "Green man is go man, red man is dead man."

You are going to ruin these children's tomato eating experience.

bobjr posted:

They had ones that made a loud “INFECTED” noise but that kind of gave away the game

This plays whe you test positive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1x8htvixY

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Bugblatter posted:

Horizon is getting a show at Netflix (it’s more of a prequel, before the apocalypse, with small bits of the Alloy’s time period, though).

That sounds like it could have potential. I think the backstory would make a really good sci-fi show just by itself.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I thought they did a great job of the first episode. Unlike most game-TV/movie adaptations, TLOU already has a well-written story behind it, they don't have to try to make one up.

I didn't cry at the Unfortunate Event!

Well...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

404notfound posted:

Green is good and red is bad, you guys are really overthinking it

Plenty of secondary information too. One goon subtly flashes the display to the other, and then she starts tearing up slightly talking about all the toys the kid is gonna have. Just from that I had no doubt about what was happening.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stoatbringer posted:

That sounds like it could have potential. I think the backstory would make a really good sci-fi show just by itself.

eh it's netflix so expect 1 season setting up the show and then canceled

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love that some people watched that scene and briefly assumed the kid was going to get some toys and snacks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It’s probably more that had he been clean and they treated him well, that it was a sign the authoritarians in charge were not sadistic or overly suspicious while still setting up that they have technology to mitigate the spread of the infection.

Instead it’s used that to show that they remain calm, put infected down peacefully and that Joel has no overt qualms disposing of children’s bodies/is a good juxtaposition from the scene of him last holding a child in the previous scene/20 years earlier.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shannon Berry is rumored to be cast as Abby in a theoretical season 2 of TLOU, by the way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NieR Occomata posted:

Shannon Berry is rumored to be cast as Abby in a theoretical season 2 of TLOU, by the way.
Just looked her up and I can definitely see it.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
poo poo, that'd be good casting.

She's got the right build to get ripped too.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

People are already “she doesn’t look like she could crush my skull with my thighs when will the woke madness stop?!?”

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Wonder if they'll have to balls to put her through a steroid cycle like they do with male actors. Just get her super yoked, practice swinging them golf clubs

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Hope whomever takes on the Abbey role knows what they are getting into. Put it into your contract that HBO has to provide someone to vet all incoming social media.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

We're missing the obvious choice here. Frankie Adams would make a great casting choice for Abbie. She played Bobbie in The Expanse.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cactus posted:

We're missing the obvious choice here. Frankie Adams would make a great casting choice for Abbie. She played Bobbie in The Expanse.

Actually yeah I want this. If only because Frankie Adams should be in more stuff.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

E: incorrect info removed

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Cactus posted:

Nah, already too old, Abby’s only a couple of years older than Ellie. Adams is pushing 30.

Mega Comrade’s right, whoever does play her is gonna need support, she’ll get a lot of poo poo from morons. And god, all that gym time too. Nightmare role really.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cactus posted:

Holy poo poo this would rule

Bugblatter posted:

Like I said in the other thread, it’s ridiculous for cordyceps to survive being baked but no more ridiculous than the rest of the cordyceps aspects in the series. It wouldn’t work on a central nervous system, it wouldn’t magically give sonar vision, it wouldn’t make you super strong over time.

The wheat thing is fine.

Yeah plus the prologue goes out of its way to lichen ( :D :D :D ) it to ergot which already infamously is heat and water resistant enough to survive getting baked into bread and consumed and still greatly effect humans irl long before global warming was even a thing.

Like as far as sci-fi zombie outbreak reasons go there's nothing particularly egregious here. It's nothing compared to stuff like the extra abilities it imparts on the human body over time and the extremely video gamey way the video game handles going from areas with and without spores floating around.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 21, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sentinel Red posted:

Nah, already too old, Abby’s only a couple of years older than Ellie. Adams is pushing 30.

Mega Comrade’s right, whoever does play her is gonna need support, she’ll get a lot of poo poo from morons. And god, all that gym time too. Nightmare role really.

I don't think Abby's age matters enough to discount someone because they're a few years older.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jlia Vins should play Abby. She's probably pretty used to weird internet guys

https://twitter.com/VinsJulia/status/672856716099325961

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Pedro Pascal is 47 and plays both 36 and 56 on the show with the only indicator being some spray on gray.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you imagine honest to god fight scenes with Frankie Adams vs Bella Ramsay though? lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

veni veni veni posted:

Can you imagine honest to god fight scenes with Frankie Adams vs Bella Ramsay though? lmao

It'd be like Maisie Williams versus Gwendolyn Christie in GOT Season 8 except hopefully not poo poo.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

It'd be like Maisie Williams versus Gwendolyn Christie in GOT Season 8 except hopefully not poo poo.

I can’t remember l, do you play as Abby or Ellie in the big set-piece fight between them in 2? I feel like it’s Abby, with Ellie running around setting traps and poo poo?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

navyjack posted:

I can’t remember l, do you play as Abby or Ellie in the big set-piece fight between them in 2? I feel like it’s Abby, with Ellie running around setting traps and poo poo?

Yeah. It's a great fight because your finally at the stabby end of Ellie's slippery bullshit. She's like a xenomorph with guns and traps, just constant ambushes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t know who Abby is (never played the game) but it sounds like Tess is not gonna be around much longer and that’s a shame. They should just have Anna Torv play Abby. In Fringe she played multiple different versions of her character and was pretty good at it. I don’t care if it doesn’t work for the story I just want more Anna Torv.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I keep seriously considering starting up part one on ps5 again. I mean, I bought the goddamn thing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t know who Abby is (never played the game) but it sounds like Tess is not gonna be around much longer and that’s a shame. They should just have Anna Torv play Abby. In Fringe she played multiple different versions of her character and was pretty good at it. I don’t care if it doesn’t work for the story I just want more Anna Torv.

Why are you in this thread? There is a non-spoiler thread!

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

blue squares posted:

Why are you in this thread? There is a non-spoiler thread!

lots of people don't care about spoilers and/or already read the plot summary

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

stev posted:

I don't think Abby's age matters enough to discount someone because they're a few years older.

They would probably need a younger actress to play the 14 year old version of her to be fair, if they decide to show those flashbacks (which I think they should), but I agree that a 30 year old can play an 18-20 year old no problem. Especially one that has bulked up and spent years consumed by hatred. That poo poo does physically age you.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Here's a quick run down of what I remember of Abby's story
Joel kills a doctor at the end of the first game to save Elly. Apparently this doctor was the world's greatest vaccine scientist and could have made a cure/vaccine. The only way to get the samples needed were to get them from Elly's brain, which would kill her. Joel kills the doctor to save Elly. Abby is the doctors daughter, and she finds his body, then makes it her mission to hunt down and kill Joel, which she does in first act of the second game. Elly witnesses it, makes it her mission to hunt down and kill Abby. Elly then travels to Seattle where Abby is and kills all her friends. Then the game goes back in time about a week and you play as Abby going about her business until she finds all her friends are being murdered. She comes across weird cult no.67529 and befriends a trans boy name Lev, who is running from the cult.She then tracks down Elly and fights her. It's a draw and they both gontheir own ways. Then you play as Elly, going after Abby down in San Diego I think. Abby gets captured by evil cannibal gang no. 47295. Elly finds her, beats the poo poo out of her and lets her go.

The usual suspects of idiot gamers flipped out because theres no way a women could get that buff and that there was a trans person in it.

Her existing was a literal call to male gamer genocide

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
While that summary is technically correct it should be noted that both Ellie's and Abbie's stories are absolutely phenomenal gameplay that make it very hard to hate either character. There is also the narrative gut punch of making the "final boss" of Abbie's story Ellie who is now acting like the stealthy murder demon you played her as during the first part of the game.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

I keep seriously considering starting up part one on ps5 again. I mean, I bought the goddamn thing.

Careful. I was just going to play the prologue to get hype for the first ep and Ellie and Joel just escaped from the University. poo poo sucks you in.

That said if Bella nails that scene of getting Joel out after the…incident…as badass as the game did, all the Ramsey haters gonna have to eat poo poo because that was awesome.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

acksplode posted:

Plenty of secondary information too. One goon subtly flashes the display to the other, and then she starts tearing up slightly talking about all the toys the kid is gonna have. Just from that I had no doubt about what was happening.

But maybe they were just tearing up getting a kid toys and ice cream and maybe they gave her new shoes so they put her old shoes on a corpse…. Because.

I know this because my parents told me this and also all my old dogs live on a farm in Saskatchewan. I’m also going to go on a trip next month to Mexico to see my adopted Monarch Butterfly parents who raised me as a eight year old.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

thats not candy posted:

lots of people don't care about spoilers and/or already read the plot summary

Yeah it kinda depends on the show for me. I stay out of spoilers for shows with stories I care about and/or can't guess, but TLoU seems like generic zombie show #69 so idgaf.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm sure they'll do something to achieve the physicality for the character with the actor they cast for Abby since her physicality has meaning in the story but I imagine they'll just do whatever they did for Natalie Portman in Thor 4.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

While that summary is technically correct it should be noted that both Ellie's and Abbie's stories are absolutely phenomenal gameplay that make it very hard to hate either character. There is also the narrative gut punch of making the "final boss" of Abbie's story Ellie who is now acting like the stealthy murder demon you played her as during the first part of the game.

The forest section of Abbie's part is one of the best levels in any video game. But it's really stressful, I remember thinking "I finally get to play this part from that trailer:allears:" and then seconds after thinking "I finally get to play this part from that trailer:magical:"
It goes on for a long time without any pause and when you finally get a small breather you just know something bad is happening very soon.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Seriously though, you should consider going to the other thread, because this thread is gonna discuss who's going to die in the first season and who could die in the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Day 2 Abby is the best sequence Naughty Dog have ever done