Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Congrats, Vulpes!

I dunno if you can answer this or not, but did you get to choose the members of the team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

It was funny in Fallout: New Vegas.

I never said it wasn't, I meant goons attacking people for making in-jokes was bad. I mean I get it can be obnoxious if overdone but it's nice as a treat.

Codependent Poster posted:

Congrats, Vulpes!

I dunno if you can answer this or not, but did you get to choose the members of the team?

Obviously I'm not Vulpes but I feel like the only mandates would be that there have to be a Captain America and Iron Man (or characters close enough to them, a la War Machine) I'm just trying to think in a corporate mindset of promoting most popular characters and characters that are or will be featured in the MCU

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 21, 2023

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Open Marriage Night posted:

One of his first Marvel gigs was the first Spider Punk story. It was only a matter of time until he was given the keys to the kingdom.

Bendis, Hickman, Waid, Aaron, Mackay . No pressure.

Busiek too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And of course who can forget Geoff Johns?

The is me. Please. I want to forget.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It has been a hot minute since I read Avengers but I couldn't be more pumped to hear this news. It still blows my mind that not only do "we" have a guy in legit comics, he's also real fuckin good, and now, I mean this is the big time, isn't it? As much as Moon Knight was a big deal, this is a big fuckin deal. Even if it doesn't end up being a big giant multi year run, it's Avengers!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Edge & Christian posted:

Children’s Crusade

But that just removes all agency from Wanda and completely absolves her of her actions for a nonsensical reason!

I can see why nobody talks about Children’s Crusade.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thank you, HW! You have such a thoughtful and considered way of looking at comics that I'm happy to hear that.

People ask me why I won't have Moon Knight do meme poo poo and every time I point them at BSS's reaction to that Sonic comic.

I wanna know what that is, googling Sonic meme comic didn't do it oddly enough.

Kudos by the way!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1616645403469815809?s=20

Ok but hear me out this is why I think Bats is a perfect fit for the Avengers

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Homer Simpson is owned by the same corporation as Marvel and I see no reason why he shouldn't be on the Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Is there any one story where they reconcile with her role in Disassembled and House of M or is that just sort of the bedrock of the character now?

She sort of made peace with the X-Men in Trial of Magneto.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Vulpes, you can post ONE vague, cryptic, and mysterious spoiler and none of us will get upset.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

She sort of made peace with the X-Men in Trial of Magneto.

but that story was also a huge fuckin' mess.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As a person who never read Avengers as a kid, and only got back into comics around House of M, it is really mystifying that everyone cares about Scarlet Witch.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Vulpes, you can post ONE vague, cryptic, and mysterious spoiler and none of us will get upset.

It's just one word: "Ewing"

I do the Vince McMahon gif IRL

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Looks like Avengers is going back on my pull list. Congrats Vulpes!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As a person who never read Avengers as a kid, and only got back into comics around House of M, it is really mystifying that everyone cares about Scarlet Witch.

This was my feeling about almost all of them until Bendis got a hold of them. Hell, I didn't care about Cap until Chris Evans made him a human.

But Wanda, Vision, Wasp, Hawkeye and pretty much anyone that Kurt Busiek liked were particularly bad. My Life as a Weapon made Clint make sense to me, but the rest? Eh.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Deleted that tweet as it got a little cattier than I like to be online.

Congrats, Vulpes!

Generally speaking, you can pick whatever team you want, you just have to get it approved by the editor and the higher-ups who are looking a bigger financial picture. For instance, I had put together a pitch to keep in my back pocket for Avengers when I realized that Jason would be finishing up in the next couple of years, which was a lineup of characters that fit the Avengers archetypes but weren't themselves traditionally Avengers- in part because I thought it would be interesting to have a team where all the characters' home book would be Avengers, not their own solos (as is the case with X-Men and Fantastic Four). When I was actually asked to pitch, I tossed that pitch over to see if it had any legs while I started working on a more traditional Avengers pitch- as expected, a team of b-list oddballs didn't meet the mark of what they wanted an Avengers book to be.

This team composition came from a few different angles- I wanted a team that made the book feel big, feel current with what's in the public eye, while also having a bit of retro sensibility to fulfill my own ideas of what an Avengers team should be from when I was a kid. Basically, something classic and modern at the same time. I also wanted to flex a different set of creative muscles than I usually do, and wanted a team of hitters to take on bigger threats than I've worked with in the past. An Avengers book, or rather the Avengers book shouldn't feel small or inconsequential- it should be big and loud, the book you point to when someone wants to see all of the big characters (sans Spider-Man and Wolverine, I guess) doing their thing together.

So: Thor, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, Black Panther, Captain America, Scarlet Witch and Vision are all characters that the general public are familiar with in a way that wouldn't have been thought possible ten years ago, forming a sort of pantheon in the same way Morrison approached the JLA way back (a concept I pored over as a kid, reading the Wizard JLA special). Wanda and Vision specifically are there as a nod to the old comics I came up reading, and they're both characters that have considerably less baggage than the others in modern times (having had less solo books). Sam as Cap in the Avengers fulfills a couple goals: A) he's the MCU Cap going forward (or at least I think so) so there's that brand recognition, B) a "classic" Avengers lineup is, unfortunately, very white and this helps to counteract that and C) an actual story reason that we get into in Avengers #1 that makes him more suited for the role than Steve when it's time to put the band back together.

It's undeniable that there's some MCU influence in the lineup- that's just kind of the business we're in. But the idea is to, like we did with Moon Knight, Strange, et al, is to not have the MCU repattern the comics, but instead to draft off whatever slipstream of popularity and hype they put off. MCU popularity translates into comics opportunities- I doubt I'd have had the chance to write a Taskmaster book if not for the Black Widow movie, even though the two are completely unrelated. Same with Moon Knight.

That said, it's not all nuts and bolts- these are some of Marvels biggest characters and it's a lot of fun to take the big toys out of the box. They're all characters I like and want to work with, and to see how they interact with one another. It's an interesting mix of personalities that's really exciting to play with.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 21, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thanks for answering! Yeah I think a lot of people like the idea of b-list oddballs as Avengers but it makes sense that wouldn't exactly be what Marvel wants.

I think Wanda and Vision are the ones I'm most excited to see so I'm glad they were your picks.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
B-list oddballs is a lot of fun, but I think they were right to turn it down- that's basically Savage Avengers, not The Avengers. Not to take anything away from Savage Avengers, but ultimately they're different books with different expectations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Probably should have said this sooner so it didn't get lost in the goon chorus, but better late than never I suppose. Congratulations Vulpes! I agree with everyone else that you've earned this, and I'm looking forward to reading your Avengers.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Wanda and Vision specifically are there as a nod to the old comics I came up reading, and they're both characters that have considerably less baggage than the others in modern times (having had less solo books).
Oh hey did you have an uncle that collected everything from 1970ish to 1993ish in giant cardboard boxes too? Great relative to have.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’m really excited to see where this Avengers book goes

https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1616511531658711051?s=46&t=Bl5KZke4Bl7pClVOrEqxpA

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i agree, ditch the summer events, bring back the summer swimsuit issues

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Fall Line of X Swimwear

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The green/yellow parts aren't just his skin also? Well I learned something today

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Deleted that tweet as it got a little cattier than I like to be online.

Generally speaking, you can pick whatever team you want, you just have to get it approved by the editor and the higher-ups who are looking a bigger financial picture. For instance, I had put together a pitch to keep in my back pocket for Avengers when I realized that Jason would be finishing up in the next couple of years, which was a lineup of characters that fit the Avengers archetypes but weren't themselves traditionally Avengers- in part because I thought it would be interesting to have a team where all the characters' home book would be Avengers, not their own solos (as is the case with X-Men and Fantastic Four). When I was actually asked to pitch, I tossed that pitch over to see if it had any legs while I started working on a more traditional Avengers pitch- as expected, a team of b-list oddballs didn't meet the mark of what they wanted an Avengers book to be.

This team composition came from a few different angles- I wanted a team that made the book feel big, feel current with what's in the public eye, while also having a bit of retro sensibility to fulfill my own ideas of what an Avengers team should be from when I was a kid. Basically, something classic and modern at the same time. I also wanted to flex a different set of creative muscles than I usually do, and wanted a team of hitters to take on bigger threats than I've worked with in the past. An Avengers book, or rather the Avengers book shouldn't feel small or inconsequential- it should be big and loud, the book you point to when someone wants to see all of the big characters (sans Spider-Man and Wolverine, I guess) doing their thing together.

So: Thor, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, Black Panther, Captain America, Scarlet Witch and Vision are all characters that the general public are familiar with in a way that wouldn't have been thought possible ten years ago, forming a sort of pantheon in the same way Morrison approached the JLA way back (a concept I pored over as a kid, reading the Wizard JLA special). Wanda and Vision specifically are there as a nod to the old comics I came up reading, and they're both characters that have considerably less baggage than the others in modern times (having had less solo books). Sam as Cap in the Avengers fulfills a couple goals: A) he's the MCU Cap going forward (or at least I think so) so there's that brand recognition, B) a "classic" Avengers lineup is, unfortunately, very white and this helps to counteract that and C) an actual story reason that we get into in Avengers #1 that makes him more suited for the role than Steve when it's time to put the band back together.

It's undeniable that there's some MCU influence in the lineup- that's just kind of the business we're in. But the idea is to, like we did with Moon Knight, Strange, et al, is to not have the MCU repattern the comics, but instead to draft off whatever slipstream of popularity and hype they put off. MCU popularity translates into comics opportunities- I doubt I'd have had the chance to write a Taskmaster book if not for the Black Widow movie, even though the two are completely unrelated. Same with Moon Knight.

That said, it's not all nuts and bolts- these are some of Marvels biggest characters and it's a lot of fun to take the big toys out of the box. They're all characters I like and want to work with, and to see how they interact with one another. It's an interesting mix of personalities that's really exciting to play with.

I kinda want to see your initially proposed roster, now. I've always had a soft spot for the smaller names (maybe because Avengers Academy was the first Avengers book I ever read). But I guess that's an idea you could use for another day.

Excited to see your Avengers either way, though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel like the oddball squad will find a way of spinning out of the main title at some point, like an expansion team if the main book goes well.

I’m a huge sucker for dual Avengers books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

B-list oddball team gave us one of the best Justice League runs.

But I can also totally understand why that's not what editorial is going for.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Vulpes I have an OC from when I was 9 that would be PERFECT for the avengers. I can get you the details as soon as I remember my old friendster account password. You're gonna love it!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Fall Line of X Swimwear

Beast's page has no swimsuit, it's just him drowning prisoners

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Beast's page has no swimsuit, it's just him drowning prisoners

Remember when it was Cyclops we were making these jokes about?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No, because Cyclops never did anything wrong.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

B-list oddballs is a lot of fun, but I think they were right to turn it down- that's basically Savage Avengers, not The Avengers. Not to take anything away from Savage Avengers, but ultimately they're different books with different expectations.

So editorial didn't want a reprise of Cap's Kooky Quartet, huh?

Moon Knight, Timeless, Black Cat have all been great books since you took over, can't wait to see you bring some street cred to what used to be an industry joke effort

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Can you confirm or deny bomber jacket appearances? They've been sorely missed in the book for years now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

So editorial didn't want a reprise of Cap's Kooky Quartet, huh?

Moon Knight, Timeless, Black Cat have all been great books since you took over, can't wait to see you bring some street cred to what used to be an industry joke effort

Also Strange, which is great for my daily nutritional requirement of Bats the Ghost Dog.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
There is not enough acid in the world to truly appreciate this tradd moore dr. Strange series.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Can Rek-Rap be on the Avengers?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I wanted to hate him, but I am an unabashed Rek-rap fan (blatant-tmnt ripoff?)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I wanted to hate him, but I am an unabashed Rek-rap fan (blatant-tmnt ripoff?)

I feel like he's more of a Bizarro ripoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I feel like he's more of a Bizarro ripoff

Weird of them to homage the best episode of SeaLab 2021, but I can’t say I don’t approve.