Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Do you think we should set up a gofundme to help him pay the £100?

He can get a law passed to reverse the seatbelt wearing legislation no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Right wing Tory press have been proudly stating tonight that 'limited services' have restarted for Royal Mail international parcels and letters that require customs declarations.

So I had to go to the Royal Mail website and read the official statement, and half way down the page there it is:

Those limited services are only for people in Northern Ireland, and only for sending packages to Ireland. That's it. That's the 'workaround' and 'limited' services that are being offered, and that's likely all there will be for a while.

It's not been possible to send international parcels since the 12th

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 21, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
My passport renewal made it to wherever I sent it last week at least

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Whenever all the cool kids used to pile into the car and not bother with their seat belt and then stare as I dutifully put mine on, I reminded them my Dad was a Fireman and the stories I had heard.

Seat belts save lives.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

Those limited services are only for people in Northern Ireland, and only for sending packages to Ireland. That's it. That's the 'workaround' and 'limited' services that are being offered, and that's likely all there will be for a while.

It's not been possible to send international parcels since the 12th

I think its easier for NI to do this as everything gets sent to Belfast to get sorted, and all Republic of Ireland stuff is thrown onto the mail train down to Dublin.
So its all just there, don't need any cyber attack to gently caress it up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

Whenever all the cool kids used to pile into the car and not bother with their seat belt and then stare as I dutifully put mine on, I reminded them my Dad was a Fireman and the stories I had heard.

Seat belts save lives.

An American pro wrestler died in a car accident this week and it turned out he wasn’t wearing a seatbelt, and following the coverage in various places it felt like for every comment online about how the death is a tragedy and maybe if he’d worn his seatbelt he might have had a better chance (he was hit head on by another driver who also died but was wearing a seatbelt, so maybe not but still) there was someone else from :911: insisting that no, seatbelts aren’t that great, there’s also a chance that not wearing it could have let them be thrown from the wreckage safely, and so on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Still laughing at that American biker that died after falling off his motorcycle at the "bikers against helmets" rally

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

He can get a law passed to reverse the seatbelt wearing legislation no?
Wouldn't be the first time he got caught not wearing something for safety and got the government's official stance changed to "We recommend you wear it," thereby emboldening a nation of gammon dipshits to agressively accuse anyone of wearing the thing of tyranny.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

Seat belts save lives.
So should tories wear them or not?

History Comes Inside! posted:

it felt like for every comment online about how the death is a tragedy and maybe if he’d worn his seatbelt he might have had a better chance (he was hit head on by another driver who also died but was wearing a seatbelt, so maybe not but still) there was someone else from :911: insisting that no, seatbelts aren’t that great, there’s also a chance that not wearing it could have let them be thrown from the wreckage safely, and so on.
Being thrown out a windscreen into the road is only a safer option if you're wearing a full face helmet and biker jacket, and then you're wearing a full face helmet inside a vehicle, which increases your blood CO2 levels and thus your chances of an accident in the first place.

There's some argument to be made when the vehicle is on fire, but the best solution there is to make vehicles that don't catch fire as easily, and of course all the anti-belt arguments had their origins in vehicle manufacturers not wanting to do anything at all that might cost them money that got enthusiastically parroted by the anti-everything smooth brains.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Guavanaut posted:

Well, when you put it like that...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

preferably around their necks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:hmmyes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Working as intended, that’s to make sure you have a quick and painless death in the accident instead of racking up a 6 figure hospital bill that ruins the rest of your life

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith keithing…

https://twitter.com/milkgapes/status/1616624298441023488?s=46&t=ur482-65u32gvC2E6kg3VA

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
How do you gently caress up a photo opp like that?
Boris ran full-steam into a small child, flattening the poor kid in the process, and at least looked human doing it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Working as intended, that’s to make sure you have a quick and painless death in the accident instead of racking up a 6 figure hospital bill that ruins the rest of your life

why retrofit your car when you can just ride a motorbike

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

How do you gently caress up a photo opp like that?
Boris ran full-steam into a small child, flattening the poor kid in the process, and at least looked human doing it.

thats the most I've ever liked Boris. I have no doubt that kid deserved it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That man never balled a foot in his life

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

That man never balled a foot in his life

Ball so hard Durham police wanna fine me

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Career politicians are just so deeply inhuman.

Look at me! I'm relatable. Fucksake.

He'd be more relatable if he said "you know, I really like excel, let me show you my pivot tables" *alt tabs into giant table of ways to lock up the poor* "whoops not that one! Here! A statistical breakdown on the wetness of eggs"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

thats the most I've ever liked Boris. I have no doubt that kid deserved it

That kid was actually a young Boris Johnson. Boris Johnson was sent back in time to body him and become PM

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/milkgapes/status/1616625156876824577

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Kieth looks more like the sort of person who would 'ride to hounds'.
I can imagine him in a red tail coat, beige breeches & riding hat.

My god, you can actually buy these things on redbubble!

Narrator: Reader, she doesn't.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

[seat belts] ...thrown from the wreckage safely...

These people are lunatics similar to the flat-earthers. Have they given any thought to the logistics of how this would work? "Thrown from the wreckage" means you're exiting your vehicle though the windscreen at a relative speed of 100mph, probably leaving the lower half of your body behind, and coming to a stop 15 yards away having used your face as a brake. (I just made these numbers up to get the point across, in a similar way to these fantasists.)

Wear your seatbelts you silly bastards.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Catching up on the thread and I will say it's a shame that Sunak didn't go through a windshield because he'd absolutely fit between the gap of the passenger and driver the minute pissbag.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Making the rounds again: this poo poo

It's tempting to line by line dismiss it that pasta has a record in England dating back to the 14th century (possibly brought by Franciscans) or that herbal tea had a massive revival in the 20s with the modern herbalist movement or that Wales (and Cornwall and Ireland) have used lafwr/sleabhac in cooking since forever, but whatever refined Anglo palate wrote that probably thinks that Truro is that town in Spain where they found God's bedsheets so there's no point.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ball so hard Durham police wanna fine me
:lol:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Kieth looks more like the sort of person who would 'ride to hounds'.
That's Ian Austin.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In some ways I like Rishi because he convinces me that maybe I'm not so much of a privileged snobby oval office after all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Making the rounds again: this poo poo

I suppose it's meant to evoke some feelings of nostalgia for a better time, but to me it just sounds like the 50s were poo poo and the only food was fatty potatoes with sugar.

e: fatty peeled potatoes, sorry

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Who remembers proper Binmen?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

In some ways I like Rishi because he convinces me that maybe I'm not so much of a privileged snobby oval office after all.

he was raised upper middle class so all this stuff pretending to be royalty is hilarious

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Only Kindness posted:

These people are lunatics similar to the flat-earthers. Have they given any thought to the logistics of how this would work? "Thrown from the wreckage" means you're exiting your vehicle though the windscreen at a relative speed of 100mph, probably leaving the lower half of your body behind, and coming to a stop 15 yards away having used your face as a brake. (I just made these numbers up to get the point across, in a similar way to these fantasists.)

Wear your seatbelts you silly bastards.

They are often the same people who think that more people having guns would stop mass shooter instances.

Instead of it becoming a chaotic mess, each person with a gun is treated as having a Robocop style targeting system which allows them to only shot bad guys...in the balls.

It's the same with seat belts. They just imagine being ejected from the car, brushing off some small shards of glass and saying "that was a close one."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Rationing ended in 1954 in the UK.

REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS
WHEN YOU COULD LEAVE YOUR DOOR OPEN AND ONE OF YOUR BROTHERS WOULD DISAPPEAR WITHOUT A TRACE
NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

I suppose it's meant to evoke some feelings of nostalgia for a better time, but to me it just sounds like the 50s were poo poo and the only food was fatty potatoes with sugar.

Remember when things were poo poo? *eyes glaze over* yeah those were the days

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

When your mashed up potatoes, lard, white bread, sugar and gelatin is ready but you're sure that a Spaniard has looked at it.

smellmycheese posted:

Tom of Binman

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/David_Challen/status/1616708391405068288

He also had that £150,000 undeclared 'loan' from a Russian businessman and employs his wife as a £50,000+ a year aide

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The one crash I've been in, my seat belt kept me safely in my seat as the van rolled over and over down the embankment and we all walked away with some mild bruising. But I reckon being thrown around the inside of the cab like a bag of mince in a washing machine might have been even better.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Classic article:

https://www.theonion.com/chrysler-halts-production-of-neckbelts-1819564298

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUut4krfnak

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

I do remember in the 70s around Xmas time, there suddenly seemed to be a Very Large binman knocking on the door for the Christmas Box and if it wasn't big enough or didn't exist then your rubbish would be thrown all around your garden path for weeks on end.
Sigh - oh for the proper Binmen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1616712851049119745

You can clearly see Mr Haywards surname. Isn't this yet another GDPR breach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ironically, I’ve heard that Keith genuinely is a huge football fan, really into it and everything, in comparison to Corbyn who far more casually supports Arsenal. But because he’s such a weird robot man no one believes it, while Jeremy seems like a real person so everyone buys that he’s Arsenal to the bone.