Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

P5 Stage Play: The names were submitted by the fans and changed for every performance. :v:

So was there a stage play where Joker's name was "Weed Man"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That is the best way to do canon names for nameless main characters and I am upset that isn't more common.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
they could just have an official name right from the start but they don't specifically to annoy me

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I checked out P3P on PSP mods and I found it's pretty empty atm but hopefully it will pick up soon. Also, thanks to the modder who changed Ken's route to friendship.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

AlternateNu posted:

P4 Manga: Souji Seta
P4 Anime + P4 Arena + BBCT + most other poo poo: Yuu Narukami
P4 Visualive: Hayato Asakawa

You left out the real canon name though: Charlie Tunoku

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trying out Persona 3 Portable on PC Game Pass on a high refresh rate monitor and the transition for the dates seem to be like 20fps or something really low and it really bothers me when every other frame is running at like 120fps

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Shouldn't be. It's 60FPS on Steam, at least with the frame counter on. It's just "slow" because that's how the time-move-forward animation has always been.

Anyway (minor spoilers for Persona 3 Portable):

You will come to Tartarus for the first day.
Once inside, you will automatically head into the Velvet Room.
Igor will ask you about his attendant; you can choose either answer.
Appearances will change, but nothing else.

I forget if this was in the PSP version, but with Steam it's no longer a thing and if you're Minato, you have the normal route. No choice there?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Steam version made basically no changes so I am going to assume it was always like that.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, I thought Theo was only on FeMC route anyway.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Theo is FeMC only, his existence is not a spoiler

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Shouldn't be. It's 60FPS on Steam, at least with the frame counter on. It's just "slow" because that's how the time-move-forward animation has always been.

I know that's how it should be, but uh, it's definitely not, at least for me. Like I can see it chopping briefly, only on these date transitions. But also, I'm on Game Pass, so maybe it's a n optimisation thingamabob.

That said, FemC all day err day!!!!!!! The original Kassandra!!!!!!!!!!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Started my first ever P3P playthrough last night. Following a spoiler-free guide because cheeeeevos.

Initial thoughts:

I know it's a game from 3-4 console generations ago, but I think I thought it was close enough to P4 to at least let me walk around when not in Tartarus, so that was super jarring.

Slowly getting used to basically playing like it's a point-and-click game, but it's super clunky. Otherwise, I am enjoying it so far.

Did have a question, tho:

What am I supposed to do when I go to Tartarus and there's no way to progress? By that I mean: red hair girl was all "go as high as you can" but kept mentioning a "big energy signature that's getting closer!" so I assumed similar to Mementos there'd be some kind of mini boss fight. But no - I got to the 4th floor, and got the whole map open. No stairs to keep going up, and a teleport to take you back to the entrance.

Is this just a thing that happens or did I miss something? Are there illusory walls or something?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

HaB posted:

I know it's a game from 3-4 console generations ago, but I think I thought it was close enough to P4 to at least let me walk around when not in Tartarus, so that was super jarring.

It's a consequence of being the PSP version; in both PS2 versions (original and FES), you could walk around town just fine.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

HaB posted:

What am I supposed to do when I go to Tartarus and there's no way to progress? By that I mean: red hair girl was all "go as high as you can" but kept mentioning a "big energy signature that's getting closer!" so I assumed similar to Mementos there'd be some kind of mini boss fight. But no - I got to the 4th floor, and got the whole map open. No stairs to keep going up, and a teleport to take you back to the entrance.

Is this just a thing that happens or did I miss something? Are there illusory walls or something?

The Barriers to progress should be pretty obvious like a massive wall of stacked school desks. And you should be able to go higher than 4 on your first non forced visit, have you tried splitting up the party to find the entrance? They should give you an option to move up as soon as it's found. Otherwise it might have just bugged out, try reseting the layout and giving it another try.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

There is a mini boss on floor 5 and nothing else so maybe you miscounted floors and missed them or it did actually bug out.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

HaB posted:

Started my first ever P3P playthrough last night. Following a spoiler-free guide because cheeeeevos.

Initial thoughts:

Slowly getting used to basically playing like it's a point-and-click game, but it's super clunky. Otherwise, I am enjoying it so far.

Did have a question, tho:

You got bugged. The first block is floor 15.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I don't think I've ever heard of Tartarus generating invalid floor patterns

I wonder if that's a bug in this re-release in particular?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Everyone posted:

:words:

Ah okay. I will try again. Does resetting the map just mean I need to go out to the Entrance again? I'm pretty sure that's the last thing I did before I went to bed.

A Bystander posted:

It's a consequence of being the PSP version; in both PS2 versions (original and FES), you could walk around town just fine.

Weird. Odd choice that they didn't make the city walkable in the update.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

HaB posted:

Weird. Odd choice that they didn't make the city walkable in the update.

It's because this is a straight port of the PSP game with AI upscaled art, they didn't do any "update" at all really.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. This is just a reres of the art assets. They never made a 3D model of the FeMC for use outside Tartarus (or for any of the unique FeMC social interactions). So they couldn’t just port her side to the FES engine.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They are also remaking P3 properly for current gen consoles (or maybe last gen knowing Atlus) if you just want to wait. Supposed to be announced this summer. Likely won't include the FeMC though so that loving sucks.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Butthole-kun, it's our chance for an ALL OUT ATTACK!!!!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

cheesetriangles posted:

They are also remaking P3 properly for current gen consoles (or maybe last gen knowing Atlus) if you just want to wait. Supposed to be announced this summer. Likely won't include the FeMC though so that loving sucks.

I've been chasing this lead since I heard about it in this thread and so far it looks like unsubstantiated rumors. I could be wrong, but unless you were able to find something I couldn't from what I can tell the Persona 3 modern remake is just wishful thinking.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know where people are hearing that the P3 remake wouldn't have FeMC but that would be insanely dumb/pointless and also:

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1615812679767101444

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've been chasing this lead since I heard about it in this thread and so far it looks like unsubstantiated rumors. I could be wrong, but unless you were able to find something I couldn't from what I can tell the Persona 3 modern remake is just wishful thinking.

Leaks from people that have had good Intel in the past is basically how it all goes. This person had reliable info about x company a couple years ago what they are saying might be reliable now it might not who knows fun to speculate. Like we got the original leak about p4g and p3p coming to PC at the same time in the weeks leading up to P4G releasing on Steam in 2020. P3P was listed at the same time but took two years to finally be announced. A lot of game info leaks long before and becomes public and there's a lot of bad info along with good. I remember a podcast email describing taking part in a playtest for the terf wizard game that's about to release and the email was years before that game was ever announced. Just part of following rumors.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm skeptical, it seems dumb to release a remaster of P3P then immediately shoot your sales in the foot by announcing a full-on remake of the same game. If it does exist I'll be pleasantly surprised, P3 is definitely the game most in need of a remake at this point, but the timing is too weird to make any sense to me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I'm skeptical, it seems dumb to release a remaster of P3P then immediately shoot your sales in the foot by announcing a full-on remake of the same game. If it does exist I'll be pleasantly surprised, P3 is definitely the game most in need of a remake at this point, but the timing is too weird to make any sense to me.

The timing is the part that's the weirdest for sure. I could see why they might want to do a remake as it definitely could use it.

Honestly though I'd rather just get news on a potential Persona 6 rather than any remakes. I presume we're still years out from that though

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Honestly though I'd rather just get news on a potential Persona 6 rather than any remakes. I presume we're still years out from that though

SMT 5 needs to come to pc first :colbert:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's not really shooting yourself in the foot to release a full fledged remake of a game probably years after you release a basic port of it on other platforms. Like if there is a full remake it'd be getting announced, not releasing anytime soon presumably? They get the true Persona heads to plunk down £15 now, the market for a proper remake of P3 with much better graphics and other QoL updates would be a lot more.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

HaB posted:

Ah okay. I will try again. Does resetting the map just mean I need to go out to the Entrance again? I'm pretty sure that's the last thing I did before I went to bed.

If you leave Tartarus, the game moves forward in date. So no. If you're asking if you can leave the floors and head back in: Yes, they'll reset.

This is what it should look like if you've "gone as far as you can go" (though I think the barriers change depending on block/floors):

If the game is not letting you hit these roadblocks, it's a glitch or a bug. I have never ran into the game stopping progress unintentionally before the actual "roadblocks" in P3, FES, and Portable.

That said: Unless you're attempting to do max social links, don't worry if you quit before you hit the roadblock. You can always go back and grind/try to go further so long as you do enough to be comfortable enough to attack the full moon deadlines.

thebardyspoon posted:

It's not really shooting yourself in the foot to release a full fledged remake of a game probably years after you release a basic port of it on other platforms. Like if there is a full remake it'd be getting announced, not releasing anytime soon presumably? They get the true Persona heads to plunk down £15 now, the market for a proper remake of P3 with much better graphics and other QoL updates would be a lot more.

I mean they have the Dancing in Moonlight models, they'd be crazy to not attempt to use those if anything.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I'm annoyed they didn't add manual skill selection to P3P

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ah a new Persona game *furiously googles to check whether the first name entry field is for Japanese or American first name*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I forget the others, but I remember appreciating that Persona 5 graciously labeled the fields "given/family name" instead of first/last

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Hope the Persona 3 full remake rumors are not true since it sounds like a huge waste of effort that could be put into an actual new game instead. Also while I have nostalgia for it like a lot of other people, outside of some cool vibes/atmosphere and maybe character development, it's easily the weakest of the modern games overall. Outside of character development I also think it has the weakest story in the whole series (including the PS1 games).

The one thing it would be cool to see if there really was a remake is if it had a version of Tartarus that lived up more to the cool exterior art of it being some kind of twisted physics-defying M.C. Escher nightmare tower instead of just a lot of dull random corridors. But I suspect it'd be too much :effort:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Just beat Jail 6 in Strikers, and I really appreciate how the pacing holds up better than in the original game. You get your big climactic battle with the shadow, pit your ideals against one another, and then straight away in the real world you see the results in a proper payoff rather than the guy going into seclusion for two weeks while Ryuji keeps texting you to ask if you think it worked.

The confession also was a lot more satisfying than Shido's breakdown, the guy just conclusively owned up in unambiguous terms to everything.

Also props to Thor for being MVP persona both times Rivers in the Desert got played.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

yeah but persona 5 never tries to pretend that politicians are good people

except Yoshida, who is an actual good person and spends his entire arc getting bowled over and accepting that he may never personally make a difference, but that's no reason to stop fighting for those who some day might

The funny thing about Yoshida is that his actual speeches and talking points are mostly the same as Shido's only with a pro-Phantom Thieves angle. We're just informed via the story that he's supposedly being genuine about it.

If elected he probably would have sucked rear end, because one of his talking points was something like "other politicians are making grand promises they can't keep, while I will stay realistic and pragmatic." His others are mostly generic comments on "the youth having a hard time."

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I hope the persona 3 remake rumors are true. It has the best story and best soundtrack. Just make tartarus less tedious and it's a perfect game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Man, I dunno about this here P3 Portable. I thought I’d be okay with it essentially just being a visual novel but I really miss being able to walk around physical spaces and it’s kind of making the game a drag. I’m early on, but still. Weird version to port. I guess it was a big enough deal that they wanted the version with the female protagonist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"P3P but with the P3 engine and environments" is pretty much what people have been fantasizing about for years and it's still as unlikely as ever even with this rumored "remake" on the line. It'd be an insane amount of work for a game that's really showing its age compared to its successors.