Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Who was that goon that replayed the second game an insane amount of times?

He probably played through it 12 times in one week.

magimix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
it was either the lizard pope avatar guy or the krogan american football dude avatar guy. Man time flies,, and I'm bad with names. I remember the number of playthroughs was in the high 20 maybe low 30.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In case people didn't know this. the ME1 opening is a direct homage to Top Gun

https://twitter.com/CaseyDHudson/status/1615580567176900608

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

christmas boots posted:

You don't say?

Arc Hammer posted:

Shepard your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash!

And if you screw up just this much you'll be flying a cargo freighter full of fishdog food factory poo poo out of Shanxi!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I made an "asari honey marinade" on the fly and I really wish I could remember that particular recipe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Halloween Jack posted:

I made an "asari honey marinade" on the fly and I really wish I could remember that particular recipe.

Did you get the ingredients from an Ardat-Yakshi monastery?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I think this is it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Thane goes in the vents because we saw him come out of a vent in his recruitment mission.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Wrex gets shot without me being able to do anything about it because he shot Fist without me being able to do anything about it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Thane goes in the vents because we saw him come out of a vent in his recruitment mission.

From vents he came to vents he must return

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I thought everyone had always known this since ME1 was a Xbox 360 exclusive.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I didn't know this because I haven't seen Top Gun in ages and I didn't read the posts itt from the past few days where someone also pointed it out.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Both Maverick and Shepard were obsessed with just barely skating on fraternization charges

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just finished the trilogy again after not having touched it for 10 years. I still remember how mad I was at the ending of Mass Effect 3 back then.

Maybe its due to being older and not getting as mad about video games anymore, or maybe I'm just crazy, but the ending is not as awful as I remember. I think the Leviathan DLC really helped with understanding what the hell was going on.

Anyways, I also picked up Andromeda for $5 after avoiding it for so many years. It can't be as bad as the internet has made it out to be.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Cardboard Fox posted:

Just finished the trilogy again after not having touched it for 10 years. I still remember how mad I was at the ending of Mass Effect 3 back then.

Maybe its due to being older and not getting as mad about video games anymore, or maybe I'm just crazy, but the ending is not as awful as I remember. I think the Leviathan DLC really helped with understanding what the hell was going on.

Anyways, I also picked up Andromeda for $5 after avoiding it for so many years. It can't be as bad as the internet has made it out to be.

It's the worst mass effect game, but it's ok

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Andromeda's combat is pretty good. drat near everything else about it sucks out loud.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Actual Satan posted:

It's the worst mass effect game, but it's ok

Pretty much sums it up. It’s not a trash fire, but it’s not remarkable either. Combat feels good though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cardboard Fox posted:

Andromeda is a passable, if a bit mundane, space shooter. If it didn’t have the words “Mass Effect” in front of the title it would have gotten 2.5 stars from everyone, and faded away like a million other mediocre games.

All the hate is because it was a Mass Effect game and carrying around all the baggage that went with that.

HaB fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 21, 2023

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I still think it’s just not very good. Even if it was just called Andromeda. Like everyone else said though, the combat is fun.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

It's a real shame, because there were little glimpses of genuine potential in Andromeda for me. I've said it before, but I genuinely think that Ryder is just a better character than Shepard on paper, with the unfortunate caveat that she is stuck in a much less interesting story with very little to actually do. From the moment that Shepard goes through the Spectre initiation, you don't really get much character development at all other than that brief moment of despair before hijacking the Normandy to chase Saren to the Conduit, dying in the prologue of the second game (which the series has no real idea what to do with until the last few hours of 3), and those clunky PTSD dreams that seem to exist almost solely for the illusion of pathos.

Ryder's struggle just felt a lot more personal to me, whereas Shepard's problems were almost entirely external — of having to just bulldoze through one obstacle after another to accomplish the mission. The main area where Shepard comes out ahead is that the Reapers started out as much more captivating villains than the Kett ever managed to be, which carried so much of the narrative weight throughout the main trilogy. Shepard was allowed to be boring because there were more pressing matters to deal with, and the story acted like it didn't have any time to waste on Shepard's feelings.

That, and I much prefer the Tempest's interior design to the Normandy. With how much it changed between each game, I'll be honest that never really found myself getting all that attached to the Normandy as this iconic ship outside of ME2, where it was sandwiched between being a lot more boring and empty in 1 despite trying to keep things cramped for that submarine vibe and being completely washed out by 3's gritty low-light aesthetic. By comparison, the Tempest felt so much more visually interesting from the very first moment that I stepped inside; even just comparing the cargo bays of each ship feels like night and day.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

HaB posted:

All the hate is because it was a Mass Effect game and carrying around all the baggage that went with that.

It's really not. I like bits of Andromeda a lot, but some of the writing is dire.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
if you lined up all the pointless dialogue trees straight you could make it to andromeda and back

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If Andromeda wasn't an official Mass Effect game and was instead some B-tier clone from a journeyman studio then maybe it would have been better received, but that's downplaying just how utterly indebted to Mass Effect it is. All of the storylines, characters, visuals, and gameplay systems are attempting to invoke the player's emotional connection to the original trilogy, and do so poorly. If you took away the Mass Effect branding it would only reveal just how shallow the entire product is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Generic American posted:

Ryder's struggle just felt a lot more personal to me, whereas Shepard's problems were almost entirely external — of having to just bulldoze through one obstacle after another to accomplish the mission. The main area where Shepard comes out ahead is that the Reapers started out as much more captivating villains than the Kett ever managed to be, which carried so much of the narrative weight throughout the main trilogy. Shepard was allowed to be boring because there were more pressing matters to deal with, and the story acted like it didn't have any time to waste on Shepard's feelings.

Yeah, Sara especially feels like a decent character in potentia because she's not even really military like Scott is. Just sort of stumbling her way through things and then every time she thinks she's got a grasp on something the story ramps up... or that's how it should have been and we do get glimpses of it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

If Andromeda wasn't an official Mass Effect game and was instead some B-tier clone from a journeyman studio then maybe it would have been better received, but that's downplaying just how utterly indebted to Mass Effect it is. All of the storylines, characters, visuals, and gameplay systems are attempting to invoke the player's emotional connection to the original trilogy, and do so poorly. If you took away the Mass Effect branding it would only reveal just how shallow the entire product is.

it's cargo cult Mass Effect. They're doing all the outlines of things and expecting them to work

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
You know, I don't even really remember anything about Andromeda but what I do remember is a friend of mine's reaction.

She's trans and was completely taken aback by that one side character just standing around a settlement with a conversation tree that was basically "Oh wow, you're Ryder? Hi, I'm irrelevant side character. Btw, I was a woman on Earth but now I'm presenting as a man! But enough about me, how about you?"

She was overly annoyed by the whole thing because it was such a personal detail that was pretty much just put on this character's business card and it just felt so.. pandery?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Subtext has never been Bioware's forte, but by the time of Andromeda their handling of it was akin to a brick with the word "INCLUSION" scribbled on it hurled at your face.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
There's NPCs all over the place that info dump their motivation for traveling to another galaxy when you talk to them in exactly the same way, but that one was a pretty clear case of "probably meant well but didn't actually run it by a transperson" because they didn't just mention their gender change up front, they also said their deadname

It was also pretty quickly patched so that it doesn't happen until after you've completed that characters quest chain about reuniting them with their partner rather than them blurting it out the first time they meet you, if I remember right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's easier to identify with Ryder than with Shepard but that doesn't make a good character. Shepard is an elite special forces operator with a troubled past, Ryder is just some professor's kid.

Look at the thousands of lovely animes and video games where the protagonist is designed to be a total nonentity, and/or a regular person who gets stuck with an important destiny.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Generic American posted:

It's a real shame, because there were little glimpses of genuine potential in Andromeda for me. I've said it before, but I genuinely think that Ryder is just a better character than Shepard on paper, with the unfortunate caveat that she is stuck in a much less interesting story with very little to actually do.

Yeah, I think I remember one thing from Andromeda (other than the doors taking forever) and it's a scene where Sarah confronts her own relative ineptitude and has to step up, which is more interesting than Shepard in every possible sense. Shame about everything else.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Halloween Jack posted:

Shepard is an elite special forces operator with a troubled past

I think this is my biggest problem with Shepard, because you can literally just scratch out that bolded part and absolutely nothing about the story changes. Shepard is just an elite special forces operator, and everything else about their character is neatly sectioned off into these isolated little corners where it can make a quick reference to "hey, remember that time your whole family was slaughtered by slavers?" or "by the way, you committed war crimes against a bunch of Batarians" before going right back to the assumption that Shepard is just the most generic soldier-shaped lifeform made of perfectly frictionless material in the entire galaxy.

Say what you want about Ryder: at least the nepotism of being some professor's kid is relevant to what Andromeda was trying (and failed) to do with her emotional arc. If it were handled in the same way as Shepard, we would never have seen Daddy Ryder (:shepface:) in the game and only gotten a few namedrops about how Sara was only chosen to be a Pathfinder candidate because she was personally trained by the best of the best.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I sorta like Shepard as just a boring, professional soldier. In my latest playthrough whenever there's an option to be like "It's Commander Shepard, let's keep it professional" I always take it

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Buschmaki posted:

I sorta like Shepard as just a boring, professional soldier. In my latest playthrough whenever there's an option to be like "It's Commander Shepard, let's keep it professional" I always take it

I agree, but also punching that reporter is really satisfying.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm kind of....enjoying Andromeda? First Cyberpunk and now this. I think that waiting years to play games a lot of people hated is becoming a new thing for me. Expecting the worst game in the world sets a more realistic expectation.

Sara Ryder is such a clueless and unintentionally hilarious character that I am just enjoying going around picking the most out of place dialog option to see what she will say next. The expression she has on her face at all times is glorious. I think I like her more than Shepard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Generic American posted:

I think this is my biggest problem with Shepard, because you can literally just scratch out that bolded part and absolutely nothing about the story changes. Shepard is just an elite special forces operator, and everything else about their character is neatly sectioned off into these isolated little corners where it can make a quick reference to "hey, remember that time your whole family was slaughtered by slavers?" or "by the way, you committed war crimes against a bunch of Batarians" before going right back to the assumption that Shepard is just the most generic soldier-shaped lifeform made of perfectly frictionless material in the entire galaxy.
Super soldier is also a pretty generic background, but at least they get into some questions about the nature of leadership, which is still better than most generic audience identification protagonists.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You have to hold your nose through like 50% of the dialogue but I like to imagine Shepard as an absolute desk pilot who just wants to do procurement liaison with the space MOD, but goddamn she saved some guys ONE TIME and now command are telling her special forces would look sooooo good on her application...

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
IGN: Mass Effect Writer Mac Walters Leaves BioWare After Nearly Two Decades.
https://www.ign.com/articles/mass-effect-writer-mac-walters-leaves-bioware-after-nearly-two-decades

Huh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's nice that ME3 has all these wacky sniper rifles, but I think I'm just going to stick with the Indra. I'm going to give the Black Widow a try at the shooting range, but Idunno.

I remember liking the Raptor a lot. But it seems to do exactly the same damage as the Indra and fires slower?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's nice that ME3 has all these wacky sniper rifles, but I think I'm just going to stick with the Indra. I'm going to give the Black Widow a try at the shooting range, but Idunno.

I remember liking the Raptor a lot. But it seems to do exactly the same damage as the Indra and fires slower?

Yes, but the Raptor has much less muzzle kick, and less of a hip fire penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Psyker posted:

You know, I don't even really remember anything about Andromeda but what I do remember is a friend of mine's reaction.

She's trans and was completely taken aback by that one side character just standing around a settlement with a conversation tree that was basically "Oh wow, you're Ryder? Hi, I'm irrelevant side character. Btw, I was a woman on Earth but now I'm presenting as a man! But enough about me, how about you?"
[spoiler][/spoiler]
She was overly annoyed by the whole thing because it was such a personal detail that was pretty much just put on this character's business card and it just felt so.. pandery?

That was edited somewhat in patch.

But the whole thing is weird. The Mass Effect universe in terms of humans was presented as fairly progressive(socially not economically). With racism, sexism and homophobia as non factors, a lot of that is because you can offload social issues onto aliens, so you can have a bright future and still talk about issues. And while human gender identity hadn't really been brought up it would have been safe to assume that Mass Effect in this area would have been progressive, especially as part of a 2017 release. But this NPC implies that trans people have it hard in Mass Effect. That gender transitioning is hard and not fully accepted.

But the NPC is also stupid, because if you couldn't transition in the old galaxy and your plan was to go to a new galaxy why would you tell people about transitioning? Everyone around are just people from the old galaxy, there isn't special about them that would make them more accepting. Just a poor handle on the issue and poor writing.