Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball
"We're just gonna keep laying the blame on my sister. Disregard completely the fact she had every right to think you were loving dead after two years without a word."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

While it was fun to have another "Val massacres the people who crossed him" story, I was hoping for a twist where Aleta managed to manipulate the Petchenegs into trading with and collecting tolls from the portage rather than trying to murder everyone they see.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pancho Jueves posted:

How do you gently caress up drawing a catalog so badly it looks more like an ice cream sandwich?

"ART MUST CONTAIN TRUTH"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pancho Jueves posted:

How do you gently caress up drawing a catalog so badly it looks more like an ice cream sandwich?

the seed catalog was not made for long journeys through the congelation, and was badly damaged 'pon its arrival

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail is still down.

Popcom

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 21, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 24, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 8, 1989)

Cranky Shafterbean

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 23, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 18-20, 1940)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Speaking as someone who was here for it, it wasn't that grand. I do vaguely recall that there was some theft of personal health information involved.

Gil Thorp

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/12-14/49

Archie 4/18-20/46

There are a lot of ways this story could have gone, but I'm pretty sure no one was expecting "weird farmer in zoot suit" to be one of them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I feel like Gil Thorp might actually be a strip if it slowed down and showed more than one out of three beats in any given story.

quote:

Gil Thorp

Gil Thorp

Like is the woman in red some sort of... vape wholesaler? She sounds more like a fundraising organizer or something. And you know, vapes being treated with the same casual shadiness of hard drugs instead of something sold everywhere. In that last panel these two guys are up to something but I'm not even sure the author knows what.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

I feel like Gil Thorp might actually be a strip if it slowed down and showed more than one out of three beats in any given story.

Like is the woman in red some sort of... vape wholesaler? She sounds more like a fundraising organizer or something. And you know, vapes being treated with the same casual shadiness of hard drugs instead of something sold everywhere. In that last panel these two guys are up to something but I'm not even sure the author knows what.

I suppose there's profit to be made in illegally reselling vapes to a school full of teenagers who can't buy them at the gas station yet. But there can't be that much money in it, and it seems pretty clear that once you scale up operations beyond buying for a few people you personally know, you're just begging to get caught.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins posted:

They're raising money for school sports by secretly selling vapes instead of candy or wrapping paper or whatever school approved nonsense they're supposed to be selling. But the pacing makes it hard to put that together because it jumps around from plot to plot seemingly at random without really giving you a chance to get a handle on what's going on. A lot of jokes have been made over the years about how newspaper comics repeat themselves over and over and constantly recap the plot, but there's a reason they do that, you know?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ohh. Ohhhh. That first panel makes a lot more sense if they're delivering money to her instead of getting product from her. Yeah I get it now, and an extra strip of set up to go with each of these two would've smoothed it out a lot.

I'm fine with newspaper strip redundancy because the good strips know how to get it over with. It's your Rip Haywires and Mark Trails that'll shamelessly stretch two days of strips into a week.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This is probably the laziest individual comic I've ever seen. It's just an exchange by static characters. Literally, a conversation I've had multiple times before (although replace Chipotle with Papa Murphy's). The "joke" is the weakest possible premise, the art is offensively bland.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ralph Crammed In posted:

This is probably the laziest individual comic I've ever seen. It's just an exchange by static characters. Literally, a conversation I've had multiple times before (although replace Chipotle with Papa Murphy's). The "joke" is the weakest possible premise, the art is offensively bland.
I hate to break it to you, but you live in a comic strip.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I don't disagree, but I think it's nice that it almost resembles a character moment. Usually mom is the stick in the mud about eating right and making the kids do their chores and homework, and usually Tweety is sulking on the phone away from the family. Very rarely do they have any wholly positive interactions with each other, and they don't get as many panels as the men in the first place.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Darthemed posted:

I hate to break it to you, but you live in a comic strip.

And a lovely one at that :(

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 4, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 28-29, 1992)

Big Nate

Holy poo poo that's brutal, lmao. Was not expecting a punchline this good from Big Nate.

Somewhat related: I watched some of the Big Nate cartoon on P+ and now that I've read enough of the strip to have a feel for what it's about I have to say I really hate some of the decisions it made. Some of them are kind of obvious like adding a bunch of unnecessary grossout humor or the presence of social commentary about underfunded schools that either goes nowhere or blatantly contradicts itself by making the teachers kind of evil but I think the thing that bugs me the most is that they changed the world a bit to make Nate essentially correct about everybody around him.

One of the things I enjoy about the BN strip is that everybody is fairly neutral most of the time but because Nate is a narcissistic little poo poo they get transformed in his mind into idiots, losers or outright villains (his teacher being the best example of this) and the strip then draws humor from the gap between reality and whatever mental image Nate's spun up in his head. It's not laugh out loud funny but it can be relatable in it's own way and basically works. The show on the other hand takes these ideas about people that Nate dreams up in the strip and then makes them the reality of the show. His teacher is no longer a normal person dealing with a kid who hates her irrationally but a psychopath who actively hates her students, Francis is the loser nerd Nate thinks he is, his dad is a pathetic loser and so on. I hate it so much. I wouldn't call the Big Nate strip a masterpiece by any stretch but the show takes whatever emotional IQ the strip had and replaces it with the same kind of generic mean spirited cynicism we've seen in most media since the 90's (think Dustin but nowhere near that offensive). It's *very* frustrating because the show is well animated/acted and could have been a pretty good adaptation under different circumstances.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 21, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Yeah, that’s the kind of material he was putting out for the first year that made it a thread non favorite. He turned it around really well but sometimes it is bad.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Kennel posted:

Solution for the cheaters: https://imgur.com/a/3LtZ9OU
there's 5, unless you count eyes or clock hands separately

In the 3rd panel the window divider is higher.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:iia:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

TEN THOUSAND YEARS OF MOUSE BOYFRIEND, like one and a half weeks of "murder having social consequences"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

And to simply moonwalk away

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

"Gotta hang someone!"

I don't dislike new Popeye as much as some people here but I'll agree that it is getting kind of tired with the soap opera stuff and twee about how much Popeye loves Whaler Joe and his sister and Bluto loves his niece and all that. That's why I actually kind of like the Ham Gravy strips going on now. Yes, it's just an excuse for the author to draw a bunch of "Look how many old Popeye villains I know" but it's a story arc! It involves characters going to different places and doing things! It almost sort of feels like the old Thimble Theater instead of as another poster put it, a Something Positive strip with Popeye characters.

Cowslips Warren posted:

of all the stupid poo poo in K&K, and nearly all of it is, I do not understand why the titled couple is so loving special when almost EVERY COUPLE IN THIS STRIP IS PREY/PREDATOR.

What especially pisses me off about it is these old strips being posted and the current storyline are both kinda doing the same thing. "I don't know if I can love this person because they might have murdered my parents." Like, this should be the light bulb moment for all these characters that they live in an extremely hosed up society! I'm not saying they necessarily have to do anything about it, like become activists or anything, like I'm aware we live in an extremely hosed up society but I'm still posting about comic strips on the internet. But I want them to at least acknowledge it. I want them to do anything to acknowledge that they do in fact live in Hellworld and whatever passes for "laws" there is insane bullshit.

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (May 28-30, 1923)

Holy poo poo this man is part owl.

Actually I'm curious. I love OBH but I don't think I've ever learned these two guys' names, or been able to tell how we're supposed to differentiate them from Dugan and Dixon (though I guess the caption always points out when it's D&D, or in the case of the one with the pitcher the little label that says "The Hammer Duet"). So what are the other two guys' names?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 31-June 2, 1923; timg'd for a certain line of jargon that skates up to the borderline)

Tonight's bonus: two testimonial ads for the venerable Lydia Pinkham Vegetable Compound for "feminine disorders".

Here's that "text-book", if you're curious.

Incredibly, a version of the Pinkham compound is still manufactured for a company that specializes in "legacy brand" pharmaceuticals, but I'm pretty sure the current formula leaves out the active ingredient that made the original a hot seller in the Prohibition 1920s: 40 proof drinking alcohol.

And yeah, the same lady from that song. Maybe not the same one who's in this video, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5byhBdqcURY

Toonerville Folks (August 5-7, 1920)

Dok's "Enough Is Enough" Duck (July 20, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 2-4, 1937)

A good start for looking into that Christmas campaign is page 7 of the December 1936 Labor Defender.

e:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Actually I'm curious. I love OBH but I don't think I've ever learned these two guys' names, or been able to tell how we're supposed to differentiate them from Dugan and Dixon (though I guess the caption always points out when it's D&D, or in the case of the one with the pitcher the little label that says "The Hammer Duet"). So what are the other two guys' names?

The black-haired one is Mack and the blonde one is Clyde...I think.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2023

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Looks like Ajara is done? Not that you could really tell. But Q-Rais is launching another comic, this one called Um Bread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Giant Ethicist posted:

The Antique Dealer’s Tale

I'm expecting it to turn out that the key isn't what they thought it was and instead activates something that fucks them over. Should've respected history more, fuckos.

Also looking forward to this bread comic. :getin:

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what is going ON in that Archie comic

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 18, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I like that Estelle gets to be happy with hot vet, but I'm waiting for a rug pull.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Rudy stinks at tracking? Since when? Wasn't he a star player on the hunting team? How do you hunt without being able to track?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry gets some rephrenology inflicted upon him, or timg'd for old man rear end, or Well, at least there's mood music

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Some Guy TT posted:

Rudy stinks at tracking? Since when? Wasn't he a star player on the hunting team? How do you hunt without being able to track?
He's team co-Captain, aka he just helps them figure out the plan, the team does the actual hunting. He's poo poo at scent tracking but he's good at explaining things to other people.
It's basically the in-universe equivalent of dyslexia. Don't think too hard about it.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 22, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Let's hope for their sake Chako isn't around

Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New comic:
Lunch

Imagine a office strip made by someone that aren't a raging rear end in a top hat and you get Lunch. It's also worth noting that unlike almost every other scandinavian comic creator, the creator of Lunch has really "seized the opportunity to branch off", or "selling out" according to himself. There's no Pondus live action series or Zelda bread, but recently a live action version of the Lunch strip was filmed and there's been an official bread based on the strip for ages.

Meanwhile the closest thing you get to Pondus merch is a couple of bookends: