Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cdkeys is a "these cheap polish keys happen to activate in the US" site and not a "this user bought 10k keys with a stolen credit card" site like G2A so you won't have any issues with the former

consequently cdkeys' inventory has gone way down since more devs have gotten smart on region restrictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For legit key resellers you should be looking at IsThereAnyDeal.com

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I prefer CheapShark imo

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Or gg.deals

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ymgve posted:

Would be an acceptable solution if pirates didn’t stop releasing updates after the first couple patches

This is not really true

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm too dumb to grasp obra dinn. I liked those logic puzzles as a kid but my brain just can't parse that games systems

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Only real issue is steam might just gently caress you out of a resold key.

Otherwise who cares? Piracy means "I dont have the money but I want the thing." Everything else is just garbage blowing around on an empty beach.

This happened to me with Dawn of War 3. Worked for 6 months and then steam removed it from my account. Was pretty cheesed (that I gave money to key scammers, not that I didn't have it), but I didn't really like the game that much.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I really enjoyed Endless Legend, but couldn't get too into Endless Space 2 when I tried it. I'm interested in Humankind, but the mixed reviews give me pause. Anybody have impressions on it? What's it do well, how does it fail, etc?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This happened to me with Dawn of War 3. Worked for 6 months and then steam removed it from my account. Was pretty cheesed (that I gave money to key scammers, not that I didn't have it), but I didn't really like the game that much.

Do you get a message or something if this happens? I'm honestly not sure I would ever notice if something I bought a year ago disappeared out of my account if they didn't tell me. I end up trying to rebuy stuff I already own nearly every sale already.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

Do you get a message or something if this happens? I'm honestly not sure I would ever notice if something I bought a year ago disappeared out of my account if they didn't tell me. I end up trying to rebuy stuff I already own nearly every sale already.

You get a notification through your steam notifications. Really easy to miss if you don't know where to look for them. I didn't get an email or anything.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
This time last year someone mentioned Everett Kaser's games and since then I've bought all of them and spent hundreds of hours playing them. Sometimes I end up just compulsively playing them without really wanting to. Complete addiction. gently caress you, past game-mentioning poster. Seriously, His Last Bow is unreasonably good. I love these ms paint looking windows 95 freeware cd rear end games.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

skeletronics posted:

I really enjoyed Endless Legend, but couldn't get too into Endless Space 2 when I tried it. I'm interested in Humankind, but the mixed reviews give me pause. Anybody have impressions on it? What's it do well, how does it fail, etc?

We just had a chat in the Endless/etc thread, myself and others where unimpressed. And we're the target audience of people who love Amplitude games and like civ! Conversation starts here.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Serephina posted:

We just had a chat in the Endless/etc thread, myself and others where unimpressed. And we're the target audience of people who love Amplitude games and like civ! Conversation starts here.

Ah, doesn't look very promising. I'll look in to Old World instead.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

IMO Amplitude's biggest strength is their surreal brand of French weirdness in world building. They create fascinating worlds and fill them with fascinating inhabitants and stories. Their 4x games themselves have always been competent and fine (and Endless Legend was even Good) but rarely anything more than lukewarm mechanically, it's the vibrant and imaginative worlds that drive them along. So it's just really strange that for Humankind they chose to go with a historical, grounded-in-reality game about combining modular pieces of real, existing Human cultures on Earth. And it went about as well as could be expected.

e: Which is pretty much the same sentiment echoed in that thread :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 20, 2023

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

deep dish peat moss posted:

IMO Amplitude's biggest strength is their surreal brand of French weirdness in world building.

Backed/supported by incredible soundtracks, still some of my favourite vg music.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SavageMessiah posted:

This time last year someone mentioned Everett Kaser's games and since then I've bought all of them and spent hundreds of hours playing them. Sometimes I end up just compulsively playing them without really wanting to. Complete addiction. gently caress you, past game-mentioning poster. Seriously, His Last Bow is unreasonably good. I love these ms paint looking windows 95 freeware cd rear end games.

Hah, I only played the demos and had to delete them after a month, because they took way too much of my free time (and also working time :ssh:)

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Kennel posted:

Hah, I only played the demos and had to delete them after a month, because they took way too much of my free time (and also working time :ssh:)

I uninstalled them once previously but left them installed on a different PC. Getting to the point where I need to uninstall them again lol.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ninjoatse.cx posted:

How do you know Gabe wasn't doing you a solid?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

SavageMessiah posted:

Guilty as charged.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

SavageMessiah posted:

Blattdorf posted:

Guilty as charged.

Well, drat you both then, because I'd never heard of these and now I'm trying to decide which bundle is the best.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
New Octopath 2 trailer detailing two more characters and some mechanics:

https://youtu.be/eZH4D9tHOb8

I really enjoyed the first one, and the sequel is looking solid so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Really more of a decapath traveler at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm getting real mad cause bad at NFS Heat. I suck at driving, so I knew what I was signing up for, but my lizard brain still can't help but get frustrated.

It's also weird to be drifting with nothing but the gas pedal (you initiate a drift by letting go, turning, and then hitting the gas pedal again when still turning).

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I'm getting real mad cause bad at NFS Heat. I suck at driving, so I knew what I was signing up for, but my lizard brain still can't help but get frustrated.

It's also weird to be drifting with nothing but the gas pedal (you initiate a drift by letting go, turning, and then hitting the gas pedal again when still turning).

I've played so much Forza I just can't wrap my head around how cars handle in this game. I've tried to get into it so many times but I just get frustrated. It's like I have to unlearn everything.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
weeb

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rinkles posted:

You can change that in the options.

I never got around to trying out the new NFS before I cancelled my Game Pass. Dang.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I'm replaying Rain World with the new patch and it truly is a singular experience. the way the lizards (and other very freaky things later on) behave is so unlike any other game that you can't help but ascribe intelligence to them.

they should have updated karma gates though because its too frustrating to go through a gate, die and then have to do a food gathering loop to level up enough to get through the gate again. and if you die during that loop you just want to turn the game off

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

mistermojo posted:

I'm replaying Rain World with the new patch and it truly is a singular experience. the way the lizards (and other very freaky things later on) behave is so unlike any other game that you can't help but ascribe intelligence to them.

they should have updated karma gates though because its too frustrating to go through a gate, die and then have to do a food gathering loop to level up enough to get through the gate again. and if you die during that loop you just want to turn the game off

Believe there's options in the new remix menu to either make all gates work like they do for Monk (unlock once and then stay unlocked for good) or just disable karma checks completely.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rinkles posted:

It's been mentioned already but you definitely should change the drift style in the car settings, that helped me a lot.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Any thoughts on Roboquest? Even though i'm not a fan of roguelikes, it looks polished and fun compared to the other roguelike shooters I've picked up and dropped in my library.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm giving Rain World another shot, ty thread. They really did pull of some cool poo poo with the animations/emergent behavior -- I was cornered by a lizard, completely hosed with no escape route, but then ANOTHER lizard crawled out of a pipe, saw the first one, and immediately tackled it and they started fighting. I was able to climb up on some pipes and managed a few tricky jumps to get past their dogpile and on to the next room. Very tense, very cool!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lets hang out posted:

Believe there's options in the new remix menu to either make all gates work like they do for Monk (unlock once and then stay unlocked for good) or just disable karma checks completely.

thats good, I didn’t want to do the monk difficulty. its really just the early gates I remember being annoying, the other karma checks werent so bad

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Morter posted:

Any thoughts on Roboquest? Even though i'm not a fan of roguelikes, it looks polished and fun compared to the other roguelike shooters I've picked up and dropped in my library.

I quite like it: like you say it feels very polished, fast-paced and exciting to play and has a lot more fun verticality, guns, movement, and cool bosses compared to other shooters like Gunfire Reborn, though I've only played a little bit because it's in early access and I noticed that there were making some big design changes here and there (stats affecting guns, health management, etc) so I wanted to hold off for the complete package. As a side note, if you're on Humble Choice it was part of the November 2022 package (probably not the case for you, but you never know).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone been playing dream light valley? It looks like a nice chill deck game b

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Morter posted:

I cannot get into it after 8 hours of trying over several months, I'm not really sure exactly what it is and I know a lot of people consider it the "best feeling" of the FPS roguelites but I guess I just have different tastes because it's the worst-feeling of the ones I've played IMO; it's floaty and weightless, the guns have no punch and are very unexciting, none of the enemies or areas are particularly memorable. But I think my main complaint about it is that it's one of those FPS where you're expected to be bunnyhopping and jumping on bounce pads (with like full air control I think? I can't remember) and moving at max speed constantly and that's just never fun to me in a FPS. There's also an obnoxious amount of dialog/text in it for this kind of game (I believe most of that was added by the newest patch a few days ago)

I've beat runs of it before (and even had metaprogression maxed out earlier in EA when there wasn't much to it) but they are disgustingly long and I start hating playing it like halfway through the first area (of... 5? that get much longer as you go?)

It's just like the most generic-feeling game imaginable to me, I suppose.

e: People on the Steam forums say a run takes about 45 minutes but in my experience it feels more like a 3-4 hour slog that takes place over 45 minutes. But TBF I have that problem with other FPS roguelites, every time I get to the snow level in Gunfire Reborn I groan and alt-f4 despite really enjoying that game for the first ~20-30 mins of a session.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 21, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rinkles posted:

You can also initiate it by tapping the e-brake while turning and accelerating, which is my preferred method. Best way to escape cops are jumps, you can pause and go to the map and route to the nearest jump and hit that and lose them pretty easily.

Croccers posted:

You can change that in the options.

I never got around to trying out the new NFS before I cancelled my Game Pass. Dang.

I like Unbound a little more than Heat but I think I'm in the minority. IMO the music in Unbound is a lot better than previous games and the day/night cycle stuff is handled more interestingly. Heat does have a pretty map though, especially the view when racing down the mountain toward the city, that was breathtaking the first time I saw it the morning with the sun coming up after some rain.

Whatever you do, avoid Need For Speed 2016 like the plague though. The other NFS games up through Hot Pursuit (2010) still hold up and look pretty good except Rivals, which is locked at 30fps and feels like poo poo. There's a 60fps workaround but if you ever drop below 60fps the physics go to poo poo because they're affected by framerate.

Always invest in the highest tier of radar jammer you can afford for your main vehicle, it increases detection time and lets you just blow past cops 90% of the time. Though if you are coming up on cops and have heat it's just as easy to ram them at full speed and one shot them if they're solo.

Helicopters I don't hide from once detected, I just get on a freeway and drive until they run out of gas, then ditch whatever cops are still tailing me if any, they don't last that long.

Got into a racing kick recently and played through Unbound, Heat and Payback recently with a little bit of Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted. They fill a niche for me that Forza Horizons and Motorsports don't.

Thank you for reading my NFS dissertation.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 21, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Wiltsghost posted:

I've played so much Forza I just can't wrap my head around how cars handle in this game. I've tried to get into it so many times but I just get frustrated. It's like I have to unlearn everything.

I like NFS's drifting tracks way better than equivalent in Forza. Forza just feels like I'm trying to randomly spin and slide around everywhere with no real goal except not breaking the "skill chain" whereas NFS actually has actual drifting tracks with a guided path and poo poo setup for you to drift through and it feels like you have some guidance and actual goals other than just "do poo poo randomly until you hit something or the skill chain timer expires then do that again".

Though I generally don't like drifting in racing games, NFS Unbound and Heat are probably the first two racing games where I've enjoyed it once I got used to it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lost Judgment (2021)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone been playing dream light valley? It looks like a nice chill deck game b

It's pretty nice but I've only played on gamepass, and I haven't got my Deck set up for that so haven't tried it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

It's pretty nice but I've only played on gamepass, and I haven't got my Deck set up for that so haven't tried it there.

Thanks! I did some YouTube work and it looks like it runs pretty dang well on the deck.