Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)
best year for Youtube AMVs?
This poll is closed.
2005 38 25.68%
2006 20 13.51%
2007 19 12.84%
2008 16 10.81%
2009 15 10.14%
2010 1 0.68%
2011 9 6.08%
2012 6 4.05%
2013 2 1.35%
2014 3 2.03%
2015 0 0%
2016 1 0.68%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 0 0%
2020 1 0.68%
2021 1 0.68%
2022 16 10.81%
Total: 148 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
grandbruise is a loving incredible translation though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-01Q8dTPKo

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
dear god episode 9 of gridman is good. have some pictures of akane falling apart

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I absentmindedly wrote a big post but then had that moment where you hit preview reply and think to yourself "Nobody is going to read this."

So instead of all that, I'm just gonna say I actually agree with the claim the writing and pacing is a bit wonky across the whole Persona series since 3, but 4 and 5 worked for me as experiences in aggregate while 3 was plagued by some specific issues that have since been fixed or softened, but which my peers (at the time) defended. Shinji's death didn't tank my investment all on its lonesome, it was just one more thing that shook me free of the sunk cost fallacy.

It's also funny to talk about, in a way some of the series other writing problems are more mundane to discuss.

I can get behind this post. I think I’d say that the battle mechanics and overall presentation of the persona games have taken a step forward over the years. The social links have probably gone sideways at best, and I think the stories have taken a step backwards as both 4 and 5 defend the status quo to some extent.

I’d disagree with the one goon who said that the supernatural ending in persona 5 came out of nowhere though. There’s a few clues throughout, not least of which is the game throwing momentos at you early on and being clear that it’s not really connected to the palaces.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Big Leg posted:

dear god episode 9 of gridman is good. have some pictures of akane falling apart

Be sure to track down the sequel series Dynazenon after you’re done as that one’s pretty good too (and if you want, the original live action Gridman the anime is technically a sequel to is available in full as well but it’s not crucial)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

El Burbo posted:

free stair
but op, i'm already protected???

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Namtab posted:

I can get behind this post. I think I’d say that the battle mechanics and overall presentation of the persona games have taken a step forward over the years. The social links have probably gone sideways at best, and I think the stories have taken a step backwards as both 4 and 5 defend the status quo to some extent.
Yeah, in terms of taking narrative risks, Persona 2 (both halves together) is still the stand-out game in the series. Shame it's kinda clunky to play.

Social links have always been a bit hit and miss, but it probably hasn't been helped by the increased visibility of dating sims and relational games that filled the gap between 4 and 5. Back when I played Persona 3 and 4, the only games I had on hand to compare them to were each other. Games before that had character development, of course, but the concept of picking and choosing who to spend time with, having ownership over their character arcs, was more novel to me then, and I ultimately preferred 4's over 3's. If I revisited the game now, having familiarized myself more with the genre it's aping, I'd probably be considerably less impressed. It's not that Persona 5's social links are "Worse," but rather they really just haven't improved.

I gotta say though, unrelated to all the above, I never cared for 3 and 4's procedural dungeon generation. 5's handcrafted levels were an enormous improvement to me, and I wouldn't mind if they kept on that track.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly, when I look back at all the SMT games I played when I was younger, the one that holds up the best is Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. It's a little too easy, certainly, but when it comes to revisiting an old favorite, that's a fairly forgivable sin I think. It also has the distinction of being the only SMT game where the choice between Law and Chaos was actually difficult.

Port the Raidou games, Sega.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I still have my limited edition Raiho sitting on the shelf in my gaming room.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
TONIGHT on Gundam the Witch from Mercury.

Sulletta wears a nice dress.

Mio does a Seto Kaiba impersonation.

And Niko doesn't know how to order food.

I think this episode brings G-Witch from a "Nice and fun" anime to a "Holy poo poo that's awesome" anime for me. :)

Endorph posted:

ryo writes the sheet music, bocchi writes the lyris, generally it seems like whichever one of them finishes first uses the other's as reference.

you can tell ryo writes the music cause half the full songs have a bass solo

That's actually really funny.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, in terms of taking narrative risks, Persona 2 (both halves together) is still the stand-out game in the series.

persona needs to have another game where half your party are 25 and sad about it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Namtab posted:

I’d disagree with the one goon who said that the supernatural ending in persona 5 came out of nowhere though. There’s a few clues throughout, not least of which is the game throwing momentos at you early on and being clear that it’s not really connected to the palaces.

I was absolutely lumping 4 and 5 together somewhat unfairly where the swerve is ridiculous in 4 and I was just kind of checked out of the plot at the end of 5 and thought to myself "Oh, they're doing this again huh."

I might actually remember 3's plot better than 5's and I haven't engaged with it since borrowing a friend's PSP to play P3P after they did.

Patware posted:

persona needs to have another game where half your party are 25 and sad about it

poo poo, I want a Persona game where your entire party is an adult and sad about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think digital devil saga is pretty good. it's got decent cast dynamics and the plot moves at a good pace and has some cool sequences.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Digital Devil Saga has my favorite take on the silent protagonist trope in all of video games.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I still have my limited edition Raiho sitting on the shelf in my gaming room.

As do I!

I was dusting the shelf a few weeks back and only just noticed that they are apparently numbered?

e: NISA is porting all the old PS1/PS2/PSP games to Steam, why is Sega taking so long to port Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga, and Devil Survivor??? :mad:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 21, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bad Seafood posted:

Digital Devil Saga has my favorite take on the silent protagonist trope in all of video games.

i like ace combat 3 where some people occasionally go "heh. you don't talk much, do you?" and then one of the endings is someone in complete distress pouring their heart out to you and then going "h... hello? can you hear me? why... why aren't you saying anything...?"

and then in one of the other endings they open your plane's cockpit and there's no one inside

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Larryb posted:

Be sure to track down the sequel series Dynazenon after you’re done as that one’s pretty good too (and if you want, the original live action Gridman the anime is technically a sequel to is available in full as well but it’s not crucial)

i will be for sure. still have 3 episodes left but i have no idea what a sequel would be like

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

新nyan kawai乐, fellow weebs

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Big Leg posted:

i will be for sure. still have 3 episodes left but i have no idea what a sequel would be like

its not really a sequel, just a separate story in the same 'franchise'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Brutal Garcon posted:

新nyan kawai乐, fellow weebs

why are you using a kangxi radical

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tales of Woe posted:

its not really a sequel, just a separate story in the same 'franchise'

it's got some pretty big shoes to fill as long as gridman doesn't collapse into a black hole the last couple episodes. but if it's the same director they've earned my trust

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Big Leg posted:

it's got some pretty big shoes to fill as long as gridman doesn't collapse into a black hole the last couple episodes. but if it's the same director they've earned my trust

its a more orthodox & thus less impactful story imo but yeah same director/writer and still very strong

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what i think dynazenon REALLY excels in is the directing. the story is not super wild but it is fascinating to watch it told

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And there's also a crossover movie between the two coming out in a couple months.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh yeah i think dyna is a tick better visually, especially the fights are improved

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm in love with how much the camera will just SIT on dead air in dynazenon

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tales of Woe posted:

oh yeah i think dyna is a tick better visually, especially the fights are improved

Patware posted:

i'm in love with how much the camera will just SIT on dead air in dynazenon

these posts make me extremely happy

Big Leg fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 21, 2023

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
edit: double

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Waffleman_ posted:

And there's also a crossover movie between the two coming out in a couple months.

you have successfully detected my unstated desire to sit around angrily for a year waiting for the movie to be available

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
While I enjoy gridman more overall, dynazenon is still a solid show. I think where it surpasses Gridman is in its action scenes and giving the side cast a bit more personality.

Dynazenon spoilers I actually thing the core theme of dynazenon is stronger than Gridman's, but I didn't feel like it quite effectively communicated that theme as well as Gridman told it's story with Akane, Rika, and the rest of its cast. The wrapup to Yume and her sister's plot line in particular really rubbed me the wrong way, and certain things like the villain fraction never getting fully fleshed out makes their motives confusing. I think if a few elements were modified a bit, the story could have been just as strong if not stronger than Gridman's, which left me with a tad of a disappointed feeling after having finished the show

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

i like ace combat 3 where some people occasionally go "heh. you don't talk much, do you?" and then one of the endings is someone in complete distress pouring their heart out to you and then going "h... hello? can you hear me? why... why aren't you saying anything...?"

and then in one of the other endings they open your plane's cockpit and there's no one inside

i like how basically all of ace combat 7s dialogue is people doing this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larry Parrish posted:

i like how basically all of ace combat 7s dialogue is people doing this

To the point where people in-universe basically say "This dude has protagonist vibes, if you stick with him, you should be fine"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I was looking for a copy of a anime opening I really liked, and it wasn't for sale anywhere. A quick google search and I find it just sitting on the Internet Archive. Please never die, Internet Archive.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Waffleman_ posted:

To the point where people in-universe basically say "This dude has protagonist vibes, if you stick with him, you should be fine"

lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
That last two minutes of Gundam Witch episode 12.

Holy gently caress :stare:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-01-20/kadokawa-troyca-reveal-overtake-original-motorsports-anime-with-director-ei-aoki/.194013

Oh this is up my alley actually

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Just got the itch to play Muramasa: The Demon Blade again. Annoyed that it's only on the Wii and Vita still, would absolutely purchase a reasonable port of that on Steam or PS5 immediately.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjuqElLI9Yw

drat, finally a killer app for the switch

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
time to finish the rest of ep 12 of bocchi because i didnt for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Bocchi btw that was a cute lil season.

now to catch up on the manga

kinda in the mood to watch some more anime throw me some recs from the past couple years i havent kept up with poo poo