Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can but also you don't have to.

Like for example I will not buy the Factorio DLC

This game has been on my wishlist for years and never gone on sale. gently caress that entitled piece of poo poo, i play satisfactory now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i've been playing some Dwarf Fortress and I don't get it. I like building bases and stuff but I'm just not seeing all the wild stuff that people always talk about. It's just little dudes runnin around and sometimes one of them will murder or we'll get raided or something. Don't get me wrong I like it but it is pretty overblown.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Reading the stuff is a lot of the fun, too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i've been playing some Dwarf Fortress and I don't get it. I like building bases and stuff but I'm just not seeing all the wild stuff that people always talk about. It's just little dudes runnin around and sometimes one of them will murder or we'll get raided or something. Don't get me wrong I like it but it is pretty overblown.

I think you need to read the logs that get generated or something. That tells you what everyone is up to.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

MarcusSA posted:

I think you need to read the logs that get generated or something. That tells you what everyone is up to.

ah ok, I'm missing like half the game here apparently

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

poverty goat posted:

This game has been on my wishlist for years and never gone on sale. gently caress that entitled piece of poo poo, i play satisfactory now

Go try out Dyson Sphere Program if you haven't yet, it loving rules and the combat update that's coming out eventually looks nutzoid. Like someone mixed Factorio with Planetary Annihilation

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh so you're going to be posting evidence as to why this isn't so black and white right? I mean I've seen plenty of evidence why I shouldn't support Vavra certainly somebody will come along and post some to support him.

I mean I could but I'm not gonna because he's a contrarian rear end in a top hat.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Go try out Dyson Sphere Program if you haven't yet, it loving rules and the combat update that's coming out eventually looks nutzoid. Like someone mixed Factorio with Planetary Annihilation

DSP is real good

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

dwarf fortress feels very similar to eve online to me. in that it's way more interesting to just read other peoples stories about crazy things that happened, rather than play the 5000 hours required to come across your own.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

dwarf fortress feels very similar to eve online to me. in that it's way more interesting to just read other peoples stories about crazy things that happened, rather than play the 5000 hours required to come across your own.

I had a lot of fun in my time in eve, but I would never even think of going back to that slog now that the people I played with have largely moved on to not playing eve.

The stories that came from the hours of doing nothing were worth the time I spent playing eve while writing history papers and poo poo, but yeah.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Duck and Cover posted:

Going "THERES NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION IN CAPITALISM" while a fine statement is a lazy as gently caress excuse people use to avoid making anything that could possibly even remotely be considered a sacrifice. Oh that and "it's okay I'm supporting the art not the artist", yeah no that's just dumb. Nobody expects people to do research before buying a video game but maybe avoid the ones that you do find out about? Fine too much to ask how about not saying people are imagining things when they point it out. No? Okay at least you can shutup when they provide convincing evidence that they are right? No? Okay gently caress you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like it too but yes, like 90% of the stories you hear about it are people drawing lines between random procgen dots that they found while reading a giant text dump about the lore of their world. The world simulation stuff is really cool, like the geography and erosion and etc. But my fort has over 250 dwarves in it, they are 100% soulless, nameless beings with no real personality, and the game is extremely, extremely easy to even accidentally "break" by just like, making the slightest attempt to optimize anything about your builds.

Mostly I am surprised that like, the entire playerbase of Dwarf Fortress seemed to not really know much about the game before the Steam release, and in particular the things they didn't know about it were how most of its systems do virtually nothing: like you can keep your dwarves happy as clams by never building meeting areas like taverns or temples. Those buildings ostensibly exist to fulfill their needs and make them happy, but you can 100% ignore them and stick everything else in your fort in one giant dorm room, and that is the best possible powergaming strat and keeps them far happier than a "well-built" fortress as far as I can tell, because meeting areas are physical places your dwarves go to, and being (even temporarily) separated from friends/family is a far worse happiness malus than not having all those amenities. But maybe this is just something that changed in the steam version, idk

A lot of the "dwarven war crimes" kinda stuff, or colonist personality, or story generation, is just flat-out done better in other games like Rimworld.

It's kinda just like a lil' lego ant farm at the end of the day. The dwarves have about as much personality as ants, anyway.

Edit: I will dare to say that Songs of Syx is a straight up better version of Dwarf Fortress: The Game, but it goes in a different direction instead of all the world sim stuff (grand strategy + total war)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 21, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

precision posted:

Part of the problem is that social media brained people only think in black or white. To them Vavra "is" a horrible unperson rather than thinking about the truth which is like, complicated and nuanced and stuff

Edit: and now to watch people reply to this post in a way that only proves my point, they're gonna yell at me

Please dont kill yourself

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 21, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anyway separating the art from the artist is fine unless the artists lovely ideology is actually present in their art otherwise who cares

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

fridge corn posted:

Anyway separating the art from the artist is fine unless the artists lovely ideology is actually present in their art otherwise who cares

The artist's ideology always is a part of their art, though.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember being very disappointed about the views of one of my favorite game developers after reading a quote from them. Fortunately it turned out to be a false quote and Miyamoto never said that Donkey Kong Country had mediocre gameplay.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on

FoolyCharged posted:

The artist's ideology always is a part of their art, though.

I don't think most people who are into cthulu are racist though.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

hey everyone WHAT VIDEOGAME DO YOU LIKE for chrissakes

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the persona games are all garbage cant believe people "play" this poo poo

also blasting yourself in the head with a gun to summon pokemon or whatever is not a great look

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

unknown butthole posted:

I don't think most people who are into cthulu are racist though.

A huge part of Lovecraft's work was extremely thinly veiled eugenics and this comes across when people mindlessly adapt his poo poo and still implement those ideas - they may not consciously be doing it, but then you're dealing with artists/consumers who are too dumb to look at the obvious implications.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the persona games are all garbage cant believe people "play" this poo poo

also blasting yourself in the head with a gun to summon pokemon or whatever is not a great look

no no i asked what game you LIKE

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Witcher 3 has more fun combat system than souls games.
edit: I like the new Witcher 3 Raytracing edition. Really pretty

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

no no i asked what game you LIKE

wrong thread m8

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Meta progression is dogshit the majority of the time. Most roguelites are interchangeable bullshit. So many people in the indie game community have taken an air of superiority over the AAA market when the vast majority of the indie game market is shovelware and minor variations on existing ideas while relying on game design that can barely be rated above a pachinko machine when it comes to carrot on a stick nonsense.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I remember being very disappointed about the views of one of my favorite game developers after reading a quote from them. Fortunately it turned out to be a false quote and Miyamoto never said that Donkey Kong Country had mediocre gameplay.

drat that quote always bummed me out, im glad to suddenly discover its fake

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain

A huge part of Lovecraft's work was extremely thinly veiled eugenics and this comes across when people mindlessly adapt his poo poo and still implement those ideas - they may not consciously be doing it, but then you're dealing with artists/consumers who are too dumb to look at the obvious implications.

Tolkien wrote about swarthy easterlings who were easily led by evil due to their very nature. Are we just supposed top not credit him for defining fantasy stories as we know them?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Meta progression is dogshit the majority of the time. Most roguelites are interchangeable bullshit. So many people in the indie game community have taken an air of superiority over the AAA market when the vast majority of the indie game market is shovelware and minor variations on existing ideas while relying on game design that can barely be rated above a pachinko machine when it comes to carrot on a stick nonsense.

people still walking around saying they loved Braid

there is no cure for gamers

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

Their whole "thing" has been shouting from the rooftops that it will never go on sale, and will be $30 forever, because that's the value they've strictly placed on their product.

Well it turns out their conviction is actually only against never putting in on sale

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Liking video games: the ultimate unpopular opinion.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

unknown butthole posted:

Tolkien wrote about swarthy easterlings who were easily led by evil due to their very nature. Are we just supposed top not credit him for defining fantasy stories as we know them?

i think you're just supposed to acknowledge how Tolkien's influence helped cement racism into the core of fantasy for the next almost hundred years

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

unknown butthole posted:

Tolkien had a knack for worldbuilding and used his knowledge of history and linguistics to craft a believable world that people to this day still fail to match with its level of detail and competence regarding internal consistency. He still had some lovely ideas, but his work stands on its own because of how much of a craftwork it is as a whole.

Lovecraft on the other hand, had clumsy rear end worldbuilding, his prose sucked poo poo, and his ideas had already pioneered by others before him and in much, much better execution - the fact that he's credited with cosmic horror is just a joke born of chance and him knowing other prolific and well known authors like Robert E. Howard. His legacy is an aesthetic with some vague, meandering ideas about "the unknown is scary" and has no real specificity about it like Tolkien.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When it came out that Sunless Sea and Cultist Simulator were made by a sexpest I don't recall anyone talking about "separating" those works from their awful creators, a lot of people dropped those games without question. He wasn't even part of the Fallen London (Failbetter) team anymore so Sunless Sea should have been in the clear but that didn't seem to matter

I don't think anyone expects you to thoroughly research a game's developers, but if you happen to know that they're directly holding up someone terrible then you should consider not supporting them. This is one of the only meaningful actions that you can take as a consumer and it takes literally no effort, in fact it's really less than no effort - you just have to not do something. It sounds like Kingdom Come Deliverance was made by a white nationalist so I'm going to not buy it, it's so easy

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

as always, the answer is :filez:

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain

site posted:

i think you're just supposed to acknowledge how Tolkien's influence helped cement racism into the core of fantasy for the next almost hundred years

That's my point though. Before Tolkien that kind of fantasy story didn't exist. You can appreciate what was good in it while acknowledging the bad. Or is Tolkien suddenly the shittiest writer in all of history or something?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

unknown butthole posted:

Thats my point though. Before Tolkien that kind of fantasy stroy didn't exist. You can appreciate what was good in it while acknowledging the bad. Or is Tolkien suddenly the shittiest writer in all of history or something?

Tolkien wasn't a poo poo writer, Lovecraft was.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Tolkien wasn't a poo poo writer, Lovecraft was.

Tolkien was a poo poo writer. He was a great linguist and world builder, but he was not that good of a writer.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Issaries posted:

Tolkien was a poo poo writer. He was a great linguist and world builder, but he was not that good of a writer.

I disagree with that. It's a very common assessment of his work, but I don't think it's true, he's not Joyce or Faulkner or Hemingway, but his prose was functional towards its purposes and he managed to imbue the trilogy with an emotional core that you just can't manage unless you have some ability. It's sure as gently caress better than the vast majority of fantasy fiction which is a dreadful genre for the most part.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain

Tolkien had a knack for worldbuilding and used his knowledge of history and linguistics to craft a believable world that people to this day still fail to match with its level of detail and competence regarding internal consistency. He still had some lovely ideas, but his work stands on its own because of how much of a craftwork it is as a whole.

Lovecraft on the other hand, had clumsy rear end worldbuilding, his prose sucked poo poo, and his ideas had already pioneered by others before him and in much, much better execution - the fact that he's credited with cosmic horror is just a joke born of chance and him knowing other prolific and well known authors like Robert E. Howard. His legacy is an aesthetic with some vague, meandering ideas about "the unknown is scary" and has no real specificity about it like Tolkien.

I am a fan of Robert Howard, and I guess I do see what you're saying. I think you were right earlier about other people using Lovecraft's ideas better than he did. I was more arguing the point that you can't just discount genres wholesale due to a problematic artist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

unknown butthole posted:

That's my point though. Before Tolkien that kind of fantasy story didn't exist. You can appreciate what was good in it while acknowledging the bad. Or is Tolkien suddenly the shittiest writer in all of history or something?

in my experience, extending this into hyperbole of people's real position (the acknowledgment of the bad to move beyond it and its baggage) is mainly an excuse to say it's they're wrong and not have to deal with it. it's okay to just say that tolkien's writings were a huge influence on the genre, and also that it's okay for current fantasy authors to not use the racial stereotypes of tolkien's material even though it's now considered archetypal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I read some Lovecraft as a teenager and was supremely disappointed to learn that pretty much all of the Cthulhu mythos was built up by extremely talented artists creating derivative works.

I also read Tolkien as a teenager and found those books to be timeless classics

It really does paint a contrast between these two authors