Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
finally watched that white power slap festival and if you find that poo poo entertaining than gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

finally watched that white power slap festival and if you find that poo poo entertaining than gently caress you
Warming to the idea of Dana White’s Ow My Balls but instead of striking the ruleset is slow, deliberate, homoerotic pinching

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Shumagorath posted:

Warming to the idea of Dana White’s Ow My Balls but instead of striking the ruleset is slow, deliberate, homoerotic pinching

Competitive Endurance Tickling

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

This really should be banned immediately, and I'm kind of shocked that it hasn't been.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LobsterMobster posted:

Competitive Endurance Tickling

Dana White's Competitive Tickling Endurance League

Bucky Fullminster posted:

This really should be banned immediately, and I'm kind of shocked that it hasn't been.
He's not even putting his legs into it like the other clip I saw. Just loving awful; worse safety precautions than Jackass.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shumagorath posted:

2 points if you say “no homo”
KO if you say “bro, stop!”

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

I wish thread title fields were longer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

2 points if you say “no homo”
KO if you say “bro, stop!”
Obey my commands at all times
Maintain eye contact at all times

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shumagorath posted:

lmfao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently other, finger quotes "safer" slap fight competitions strictly ban stepping into your swing and hitting with the base of your palm, because, DUH. And both of those things are all over Powerslap sooooo congratulations to Dana on taking this whacky carny poo poo and making it even more dangerous, I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I refuse to watch even a single second of this monstrous show and even just the single frame in the thumbnail makes me feel revolted.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The power slap league is for Dana to get some practice tape for using on his family.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shumagorath posted:

Been laughing at this for about an hour.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

even just the single frame in the thumbnail makes me feel revolted.

I’m being serious here when I say that maybe you should take a hard look at being an MMA fan. The number of people involved in it and other combat sports far outweighs slap fighting, as do the number of fencing response highlight pictures from fights.
I assume that the slap fighters only train offense, so they also wouldn’t get the volume of subconcussive blows.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I’m being serious here when I say that maybe you should take a hard look at being an MMA fan. The number of people involved in it and other combat sports far outweighs slap fighting, as do the number of fencing response highlight pictures from fights.
I assume that the slap fighters only train offense, so they also wouldn’t get the volume of subconcussive blows.

I think the objection is knocking out someone who is not allowed according to the rules to defend themselves in any way, not the injuries sustained.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Even if you were a complete sociopath who didn't care about defenseless people getting hurt, it's just not that entertaining in and of itself. Like why would I ever watch power slap over an actual MMA/boxing match?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

I think the objection is knocking out someone who is not allowed according to the rules to defend themselves in any way, not the injuries sustained.
It was a reaction to the picture of the effect of getting hit.
You’re not guaranteed to get KOed in MMA, but the numbers are high enough that having the ability wirin within the ruleset to defend against a KO strike doesn’t absolve the sport of a moral failing wrt safeguarding the participants.

Queering Wheel posted:

Even if you were a complete sociopath who didn't care about defenseless people getting hurt, it's just not that entertaining in and of itself.

You’re just wrong, bro. loving wrong
— Dana

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Digital Jedi posted:

PPV this weekend. Get your picks in!!!

https://www.tapology.com/groups/998

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Queering Wheel posted:

Like why would I ever watch power slap over an actual MMA/boxing match?

There's a not insignificant number of people who have no real interest in MMA or boxing who just think it's all about watching people get knocked out.

In practice of course, that's loving boring and stupid, just like if football was just a quarterback throwing straight pass touchdowns over and over or if hockey was just a guy slapshotting 100 pucks into a net, but most people are also boring and stupid.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure Jerusalem, who's been watching MMA with us for years at this point, is mostly fine with seeing people get knocked unconscious. I felt the exact same thing he did, as well

chaleski fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 21, 2023

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

You shouldn’t confuse the virtue signaling itt for genuine feelings people will act on.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/SecondsOutLive/status/1616878970804338690

Never going to happen, but funny.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The statements "MMA causes concussions and that's bad" and "slap fighting is garbage and it's rational to feel worse about it" are neither mutually exclusive nor even remotely hypocritical in concert with one another, and it's weird to cite the number of people participating in combat sports vs slap fighting as a balancing factor when half the reason people are disgusted by slap fighting is the astroturfed attempt to push it into the mainstream and make it more popular.

blue footed boobie posted:

You shouldn’t confuse the virtue signaling itt for genuine feelings people will act on.

Also, I think the concept of critiquing "virtue signaling" is already inherently silly but it feels real, real weird to accuse people of it re: being grossed out by slap fighting, which is objectively gross.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ah but u participate in combat sporting; curious!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The statements "MMA causes concussions and that's bad" and "slap fighting is garbage and it's rational to feel worse about it" are neither mutually exclusive nor even remotely hypocritical in concert with one another
I’ll concede that maybe Jerusalem has the same reaction to any picture of someone in immediate TBI. And certainly lots of us react the same way when a fighter is laid out for minutes after a KO.

quote:

and it's weird to cite the number of people participating in combat sports vs slap fighting as a balancing factor when half the reason people are disgusted by slap fighting is the astroturfed attempt to push it into the mainstream and make it more popular.
My critique is of being able to enjoy fighting to the degree that I and others do — that our viewership has enabled a platform of legitimacy for the sport, and that then we have a much shorter horse from which to try to gatekeep slap fighting. Our pirated PPVs paid the abuser who’s trying to mainstream slap fighting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

ah but u participate in combat sporting; curious!

I’ve received a concussion in a kickboxing match, one that more or less spelled the end of my willingness to compete, and I still teach kickboxing now. I stew over the ethics a lot.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

Also, I think the concept of critiquing "virtue signaling" is already inherently silly but it feels real, real weird to accuse people of it re: being grossed out by slap fighting, which is objectively gross.

I think you’re confusing complaining about virtue signaling with actually thinking something is okay. This thread has a bad habit off going through cycles where everyone has to announce that mma, the sport we all watch and are here to discuss, is evil, which is basically the definition of virus signaling. Now we’re going on for several pages about how slap fighting is bad and dumb (it is), and it’s getting tiresome.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve received a concussion in a kickboxing match, one that more or less spelled the end of my willingness to compete, and I still teach kickboxing now. I stew over the ethics a lot.
It's ok, I understand that perspective. I've never fought for money and been very lucky with my neurological / other health related to combat sports, but a friend of mine can't even hold Thai pads without getting dizzy these days.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's perfectly fine to have your own limits on what you're comfortable with in combat sports. I personally don't care for stomps and soccer kicks (grounded knees are fine).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

It's perfectly fine to have your own limits on what you're comfortable with in combat sports. I personally don't care for stomps and soccer kicks (grounded knees are fine).
Yeah... as Wanderlei Silva Fan A #1 when I first got into MMA, I thought that was the coolest thing ever, but noted firearms trafficker Dr. Johnny Benjamin made the excellent point that any untrained idiot can break someone's neck with either of those techniques.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

I think you’re confusing complaining about virtue signaling with actually thinking something is okay. This thread has a bad habit off going through cycles where everyone has to announce that mma, the sport we all watch and are here to discuss, is evil, which is basically the definition of virus signaling. Now we’re going on for several pages about how slap fighting is bad and dumb (it is), and it’s getting tiresome.

Ok but if that's what you feel a problem is, the solution to that isn't posting about posting, it's actually coming up with another subject to talk about. There's an actual ufc card tonight that starts in like 2 hours, say something about it.

Any guesses as to how Vacant will keep their belt tonight?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

boobie, I feel like your point about the cyclical thread guilt-ponderance is also kind of answered in this point. Combat sports are pretty hosed up, both in the direct toll they take on their participants and the indirect toll through the culture and politics they tend to embrace, and the fact that we love and keep coming back to them anyway is a thing that, for some people, bears some recurring introspection and venting. I disagree that critiquing or even just feeling bad about a thing you enjoy, saying so, and continuing to enjoy it anyway is virtue signaling--it's just being a person with conflicting feelings on things.

I do get being tired of the slapfighting discourse when said discourse is a pretty unequivocal "it's bad" and the conversation is just reiterating that it's bad, but there's also barely any MMA this month and the slap league that's been getting lovely hype for months only debuted two and a half days ago, so I dunno that expecting people not to ruminate on how much it sucks it is realistic. UFC 283 is going to overtake it in a few hours, but until then it is unfortunately the biggest thing happening in our industry this week.

kimbo305 posted:

My critique is of being able to enjoy fighting to the degree that I and others do — that our viewership has enabled a platform of legitimacy for the sport, and that then we have a much shorter horse from which to try to gatekeep slap fighting. Our pirated PPVs paid the abuser who’s trying to mainstream slap fighting.

See, that I don't disagree with. We helped make Dana White: American Icon and this is an unfortunate byproduct of that, and it is important to keep that in mind. But for one, I don't think the culpability of individual fans and their comfort levels with slap fighting is worthy of dismissal because they like MMA, which had absolutely nothing to do with slap fighting until a few unfortunate months ago, and for two, I think there's a broad distance between saying we have some level of collective responsibility for our enjoyment of fighting enabling this dumb poo poo and saying someone should rethink being an MMA fan because seeing someone knocked out in slap fighting grossed them out when they enjoy people getting knocked out in MMA, because the contexts of those knockouts, their respective abilities to defend against them and the sports in which they occurred are so drastically different.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

UFC/MMA February: I’m pretty freaking stupid and it’s a bummer, every single day I gotta deal with it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah... as Wanderlei Silva Fan A #1 when I first got into MMA, I thought that was the coolest thing ever, but noted firearms trafficker Dr. Johnny Benjamin made the excellent point that any untrained idiot can break someone's neck with either of those techniques.

I get it. Shogun was my dude. But once I started to notice stomps and downed kicks were being used to hurt people that were already mostly out of it I just preferred they stay illegal. No reason to make things even more harsh and brutal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

saying someone should rethink being an MMA fan because seeing someone knocked out in slap fighting grossed them out when they enjoy people getting knocked out in MMA, because the contexts of those knockouts, their respective abilities to defend against them and the sports in which they occurred are so drastically different.

I see this two ways:
From a sporting perspective, comparing the two rulesets (and I’m stooping to grant that term for slap fighting), yah, slapping is beneath contempt. Just idiotic. MMA has a vast array of techniques, strategies or lack thereof play out in infinite unexpected variety, the athleticism — that’s why we watch it.

From an “inevitably, you’re gonna get hurt from participating in this and you might not feel like it was with your labor” perspective, they’re much closer to each other than other sports without expected head contact. The deep visceral discomfort with seeing someone laid out like that — that can’t be canceled out by a more legitimate sport built on top of it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The only thing hypocritical is that we are complaining about slapfighting and yet that is the very thing we are doing in this thread

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

From an “inevitably, you’re gonna get hurt from participating in this and you might not feel like it was with your labor” perspective, they’re much closer to each other than other sports without expected head contact. The deep visceral discomfort with seeing someone laid out like that — that can’t be canceled out by a more legitimate sport built on top of it.

And I think this is a point of philosophical divergence. The context may not cancel out that visceral discomfort for you, but I don't think that's an inherently objective experience, the same way traditional boxing fans are cool with fighters getting punched again after knockdowns but disgusted by the sight of ground and pound and people wise enough to stay away from combat sports think we're all crazy for not turning and running away from people getting hurt for sport period. For whatever credit it's worth to the fanbase, we're seeing a slow but visible arc towards the slightest improvements in the way we think about fighter health, and I think that also informs this whole thing--when you look at stoppages from the mainstream breakout years they were much, much closer to 'punch until they stop moving no matter what' on average, and the decades of conversation about fighter safety and health have led to slightly better stoppages. Standing TKOs didn't really exist in MMA in the mid-2000s. That, too, is part of why slap fighting's reversion to 1990s toughman contest ethos is an outlier shock.

But also, like. Before my brief life in training several of my friends were considering it, but no one in the group had ever been flat-out punched in the face and thus had no idea how they'd react to it and were pretty sure they needed to figure that out before knowing if it was worth pursuing, and because we were dumb kids, our solution to this was strapping on boxing gloves and trading a single hard jab to the face apiece. Some people were fine with it, some people had mixed reactions, and two friends cycled through about a dozen facial expressions in the five seconds after getting hit, went 'nope, not for me,' and never tried it again. Knockouts are knockouts, and "people getting knocked out is bad" is a very rational point of view, but when you get into what people do and don't find acceptable in their flavors of received knockouts, irrationality isn't that weird and I'm not sure we could enjoy combat sports period without at least some of it.

Bluedeanie posted:

The only thing hypocritical is that we are complaining about slapfighting and yet that is the very thing we are doing in this thread

See, I think getting into the weirdness of our brains and how we deal with the nature of combat sports is fascinating, but if it's just grating the thread we can also knock it off and wait for Glover Teixeira to make us all sad.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

We’ve been doing it for over a decade and failed to monetize it.

It’s simple: we sue the bald man

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I look around and see shitheels in every kind of field, they don't all exist just in MMA.

That said powerslap is loving dumb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022219&pagenumber=1#lastpost

The UFC abruptly moved the timeslot up by half an hour, I guess because no fights got cancelled, so head to the GDT, UFC 283 prelims have begun.