Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oh check it out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64338010 FTX can come back baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

oh check it out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64338010 FTX can come back baby
Sounds like a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of an exciting new project.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Haven't heard people talking about paper/diamond hands lately after all the coins/NFT projects crashed. guess it's all just poo poo-hands now.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Haven't heard people talking about paper/diamond hands lately after all the coins/NFT projects crashed. guess it's all just poo poo-hands now.

member what matt daemon said?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

RIP Phil Collins, he really did throw it all away.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

LifeSunDeath posted:

What's this paper/diamond hands thing?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

What's this paper/diamond hands thing?

oh okay so a sub reddit called wallsreets bets was meme'ing stocks like game stop and amc. IF you remember a hedge fund was shorting them hard.

The nerds with their robin hood aps were driving up the price, creating a hell of short squeeze.

The "financial media" went full mask off, calling them nerds, billionaires were crying etc.

Anyway its a poker term, being your holding your bed, paper hands fold and sell while the diamond hands will never fold.

fold meaning to cash out.

So the diamond hands are the ones going

I ll never sell my cyrpto just because its dipping.

Edit: and its going up again!

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 21, 2023

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
:gonk:

quote:

AITA for screaming at my dad when he lectured my brother about losing lots of money on crypto??

My brother (23m) was dumb and invested a lot of his savings in crypto. He bought at the peak, sold at the bottom, and lost a lot of money. He’s been depressed/anxious about this and beating himself up over it.

My dad (48m) is ironically a financial advisor and found out today when my brother admitted it. He had told my brother and me not to invest in crypto when we joked about doge coin last year and he told us millions of times to diversify diversify diversify. Well my brother didn’t listen to any of that and my dad when he found out started being a total sh*thead to my brother (in my opinion). Saying things like “tell me you’re joking. You’re joking, right?? why on earth would you do such a dumb thing?”, “I told you millions of times last year not to buy crypto! you should only be buying diversified mutual index funds”, “you made these choices and now you’re learning your expensive lesson”. Things that are NOT HELPFUL and not serving any purpose other than to fill my dad’s ego and make my brother feel even worse. Like seriously, why even say these things???

I (22f) told my dad to shut up since he’s not adding anything to the conversation (btw my brother at this point was near tears). My dad got mad at me and maybe I went overboard, I was very upset for my brother, I screamed at my dad that this is exactly why my brother and I never confide in him about anything important and we go to our mom (they’re divorced) instead since my mom actually has empathy. He yelled back that he does have empathy, I said if he did then I wouldn’t be so excited to remove him out of my life when I’m older and not financially dependent on him. Now we are not speaking. He didn’t even apologize to my brother either. My brother left and is probably still depressed.

I feel bad now for making my dad so upset but also, I feel like he reacted so sh*ttily to my brother for no reason! But now I feel guilty. I also live with him currently.

AITA for screaming at him for what he said to my brother??

:goleft:

quote:

INFO

He bought at the peak, sold at the bottom, and lost a lot of money.

why on earth would you do such a dumb thing?

Why on earth did your brother do SUCH a dumb thing?

:gonk:

quote:

Of course if he knew it would crash he wouldn’t have bought it in the first place but he didn’t know that and couldn’t have known in advance. He bought because he did research into it (like reading books about crypto and how the currency works) and thought it was a good idea. He sold it because he was freaking out about losing so much money and didn’t want to risk losing more.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

loving lol

Edit: that has to be fake, it’s perfect

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It's an expensive lesson for him in the art of the hodl.

If he'd have done that he'd have been all good as I saw a YouTube with Elon Musk that said Bitcoin is going to the moon.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. He read books about crypto as research.

I'll never read a book about crypto because I assume it's just a few hundred pages of repeating, "you're gonna be rich buy crypto" in different ways and charts they sourced randomly on the internet.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna think its fake

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

At some point a decade or so ago kiyosakis brain stopped functioning properly and never recovered. Coincidentally right when he went to monetize his entire existence.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

At some point a decade or so ago kiyosakis brain stopped functioning properly and never recovered. Coincidentally right when he went to monetize his entire existence.

Is he rich dad/poor dad?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I can never not read those things as "my dad (43 metres)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'll never read a book about crypto because I assume it's just a few hundred pages of repeating, "you're gonna be rich buy crypto" in different ways and charts they sourced randomly on the internet.

bitcoin super star Andreas Antonpolous released a book to teach you the basics of bitcoin a few years ago. The errata page afterwards was extensive, if you followed its instructions on how to set up a wallet you were almost guarenteed to get your money stolen.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I honestly don't see how anyone besides crazy ancap people get into crypto. As my dad's perfect understanding of the FTX collapse, "People give real money for fake money?"

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
You motherfucker, the minute I don't need you to pay for everything for me I am OUT OF HERE.

That's, uh... that's some threat right there cap'n.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

her dad does sound like an rear end in a top hat tbh. your kid hosed up and made an expensive mistake by not following your advice and feels lovely about it, your response should not be to make him feel worse

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

more falafel please posted:

her dad does sound like an rear end in a top hat tbh. your kid hosed up and made an expensive mistake by not following your advice and feels lovely about it, your response should not be to make him feel worse

Counterpoint: the kid is a loving idiot and should be mocked without mercy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

what about attack of the 50 foot blockchain though

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the whole family seems like assholes. i mean yeah maybe the dad told them not to buy crypto but it was probably yelling poo poo like, "YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MONEY. DON'T BUY CRYPTOS YOU DUMB SHITS" and then the younger son's all, "I'll show you DAD" and bought a bunch of crypto.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

coolusername posted:

Of course if he knew it would crash he wouldn’t have bought it in the first place but he didn’t know that and couldn’t have known in advance.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1512169603539292160

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The “kid” is 23 as well.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So is Attack of the 50ft Blockchain a good read? I just learned about it and it seems like a pretty accurate description of everything.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The fact that he had to go around hiding the fact he was investing in bitcoin implies that this wasn't the first time he's done something monumentally stupid.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lammasu posted:

So is Attack of the 50ft Blockchain a good read? I just learned about it and it seems like a pretty accurate description of everything.

you should ask divabot

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lammasu posted:

i actually couldn't get into it, not because it wasn't written well, but because it was all stuff i already knew. so i couldn't tell you if it's good or not, i just automatically started skimming it instead of reading :/

e: give divabot ten bux anyway tho

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

“Don’t put your dick in the blender, I’m literally a doctor it will hurt you”

“Shut the gently caress up dad! Ouch my dick!”

“I tried to warn you!”

SA Poster: hmm, seems like everyone here is equally bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fur20 posted:

what about attack of the 50 foot blockchain though

Don't know, don't care, because I'm not dumb enough to buy crypto anyhow.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sophy Wackles posted:

Because they were businessmen, running a very legitimate and upstanding business.

If I remember right at some point one anti-virus/anti-scam company actually did a review of the various ransom gangs' customer service and found they were usually surprisingly good, which was moderately funny.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't know, don't care, because I'm not dumb enough to buy crypto anyhow.

You're missing out, it's a genuinely good book, though you've already learned the central lesson it's trying to impart. But it still has value in chronicling some of the absolutely dumbest moments of crypto, for excellent comedy.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Foo Diddley posted:

i actually couldn't get into it, not because it wasn't written well, but because it was all stuff i already knew. so i couldn't tell you if it's good or not, i just automatically started skimming it instead of reading :/

e: give divabot ten bux anyway tho

I read the blurb and I'd never heard of the physics student hiring hitmen.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lammasu posted:

I read the blurb and I'd never heard of the physics student hiring hitmen.

well if you never heard of ross ulbricht then you are in for quite a story

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

PurpleXVI posted:

You're missing out, it's a genuinely good book, though you've already learned the central lesson it's trying to impart. But it still has value in chronicling some of the absolutely dumbest moments of crypto, for excellent comedy.

I'm just not the target demographic.

My father is an MLM junkie and has metal-bug tendencies, so I'm just overall suspicious of anything "new" or trendy in finances.

I've dabbled in silver but sold all of it years ago for about what I paid for it. And I'm always tempted to buy an RV and go up to the mountains an hour from here and stake a claim. So the junk finance gene didn't skip me entirely, but focuses on its' own crazy poo poo.

Thankfully weed suppresses those dumb thoughts.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Foo Diddley posted:

well if you never heard of ross ulbricht then you are in for quite a story

*looks up Ross Ulbricht* Oh the Silk Road guy.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
is this uh is this good for bitcoin

https://twitter.com/wallstreetpro/status/1616931880749895680?t=GrONVSlWSUcsurYpQckqZw&s=19

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I predict cryptobros posting memes of doogie howser in starship troopers mindreading fiat banks and proclaiming “they’re afraid!”

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Please destroy Binance (and Coinbase, Kraken, Gemini, et al)... :pray:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

How much is this going to affect the exchanges? Will they be completely hamstrung and be dealing with huge bank runs and die, or is this something where it'll be easy to concoct a workaround to keep business as usual? I know Swift is very important for international finance but I don't really know how it functions at the transaction level. The Binance message on Twitter makes me hopeful for the former, but blockchain and crypto refuse to loving die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

If somebody referred to me as a Binancian, I would assume it was an insult or a slur

Like they thought I looked like the Ballchinian from Men in Black II