Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

I don't know if the Hell Was Full comics are being posted in any particular order, but having two separate but adjacent hot-dog themed comics... maybe he was just hungry when he drew them.

They're daily comics, he drew one a day for a year and I'm posting them in date order so it's entirely possible Branson just spent two days wanting a hot dog, and I choose to believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

When you've got H-Dogs* on the mind it can be hard to focus on anything else, let alone drawing comics

*This is what cool kids call hot dogs

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

ETA: been thinking a lot about A Softer World lately. One of the few good comics I discovered as a sheltered mormon adolescent. This is my favorite one from flipping around the archives this morning:

miracles bring tourists

oh jesus christ i haven't thought about a softer world in like 15 years

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

In Hokkaido, girls are judged harshly on their.... calves :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Joost and Eren set sail for America! The pair of lovebirds hold each other on the deck as they watch another pair of lovebirds!

Read right to left:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

quote:

Gee whiz! These guys are just terrible at making a Medieval film. Don't they know anything???

Just kiddin' you guys, no one would ever try to shoot a movie in Chaucer-y English like the 4th comic, and if they did they probably wouldn't know their way around the actual grammar if Chaucer himself had a Dummies book explaining it. That poo poo is hard!

I think most people who like to nit-pick historical inaccuracy in films do it for a few reasons:
- it's fun
- it's silly to think that movies aren't "important" because they're entertainment, movies are the way most people come across with representations of histories they don't know much about! So I can't blame anyone for caring that they get the details right.
-it's... fun.

If you don't believe me, take a look at one of my favorite terrible movies, The Norseman starring Lee Majors. It's got it all! Bad Viking movies somehow earn a trophy for being even more bad than most bad movies. How DO they do it??

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HYO_Bb8D14

(mad props to this random person who uploaded only this random ten-second bit of one of the best Venture Bros. episodes so that I could link to it years later)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Blind Alley

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

DACK FAYDEN posted:

same one as in Yoshi's Island

I always chalked it up to "weird Japanese melon" as a kid

I've always just passed these as net melons with the netting pattern exaggerated in size because of the resolution.

Edit: "cantaloupe" in English apparently? But I get more green melons that look more like the one in-game from googling the Swedish word, while the English one has more yellow melons with less obvious netting, so maybe not the exact same species.

Phosphine has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jan 21, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
At first this was a Seuss-ified version of Drop Out, but re-writing the suicide confessions in schoolkid-friendly words felt Not Great. So have this instead!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

As someone currently living in semi-rural Hokkaido, I want to say thank you for the cow-lady comics.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm sorry to say however, this is the final chapter of translated Hyakushō Kizoku/Noble Peasant. The company that had licensed it went under after just one volume and I had to use a Python script someone else prepared to get all my purchases off the online reader before the site went down. As far as I can tell, no one ever picked it up again, not even fan translators!

I'm going to break the final chapter into two parts.

Emzedoh posted:

This chapter of the Noble Peasant made me go reread a pile of Silver Spoon, a manga set in an agricultural high school by the same author.

Silver spooning continues.

One day weekends, that's obscene.

Edit: Holy poo poo Tree

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/fakehistoryhunt/status/1597290024877182977

Thread.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jan 21, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Tree Bucket posted:

At first this was a Seuss-ified version of Drop Out, but re-writing the suicide confessions in schoolkid-friendly words felt Not Great. So have this instead!

Now THIS gets what the GOF was all about.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tree Bucket posted:

Outstanding

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Love it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

h*ll yeah

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kinda glad i don't have to see what a dr seuss style cat-thong looks like

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Ok, you all heard the guy, from now on this is a serious straightforward account of the end of warring states period in Japan, no more tea pot aesthetics shenanigans, wrap it all up.

Yeah man, why don't you blow yourself up with a tea kettle??

Sasuke's cold turkey getting off of wares plan lasted... 8 pages.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Good point actually ahaha

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Thanks for the nice comments on the photos. But really it's mostly because Hokkaido is a very pretty place and very much worth the visit.

We did go to one of the touristy yubari melon farm and those things are absurd. I enjoyed it but one of my travel companions who's been to mexico said it's pretty much similar to good cantaloupe there. We didn't eat one of the ridiculously priced ones though so idk

To be fair a good cantaloupe is delicious as all hell.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Uramachi Sakaba

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Oh boy. Guess we're here now.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

You draw it, then you look at it in silence for a while, then you hit Delete

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

Ha, yeah. Back in 2011 I decided I had to start posting daily or be forever stuck in a loop of working on them a few days in a row and then months of nothing. And then I just never stopped. I do find that it helps a lot to lower the pressure of each individual attempt but to make frequent, consistent attempts. Slow & steady &c.

Same same. An okay-ish picture is better than a perfect drawing that never gets finished!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
All I know is make art, eat hotchip, and lie.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Holy poo poo me too, is there like a club? Or like... a support group haha

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There is no support, the making art disease is inside you, if you have it it'll bubble forth until you are empty and barren. Your lands fallow. Your creations numerous, both beloved, and hated by yourself.

Then you draw a titty (or dong.) This is the fun part.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Your new av reminds me of an old meme image that was like 'you vs the girl he tells you not to worry about' and the other girl has like a long string of equations tattooed on her arm while you just have the pythagorean theorem on your back.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Today's 2000AD entry is by Alan Moore, and you can see he's been experimenting with the comic format with all kind of narrative styles very early on. The Vocosonics Futura Transliterator sadly only makes one appearance, and probably would have been a very popular comic when people on social media in the mid 2010s were trying to claim traveling is ableist, for some reason (i think they were just mad at travel influencers tbh).

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Uramachi Sakaba

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Boba Pearl posted:

All I know is make art, eat hotchip, and lie.

:hai:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Your new av reminds me of an old meme image that was like 'you vs the girl he tells you not to worry about' and the other girl has like a long string of equations tattooed on her arm while you just have the pythagorean theorem on your back.

It's from the song of songs, "I am my beloved and my beloved is mine." It's about dedication to your partner kind of? Like the actual context is this woman has a scary dream and freaks out that her partner is cheating, but in reality he's just picking flowers in the garden because he loves her so much.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

If you're at a place and you've made some mistakes, Ray just wants you home safe.

Bensington Butters is just poor American trailer trash?

Bensington's theme for that year is Gordon Gekko. AKKOLADE's theme is that he is at the spinach dip, and not pictured.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Achewood is about to get really, really, really loving weird.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Fagtastic posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Is there any suggestion at all that the blone girl has any idea whatever that homo is intended in this situation? At least in the music shop lesbian anime there is a heavy romantic implication on both sides, however farcical. Feel like I'm missing something.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Both are oblivious in their own special ways.

Qi Fang/Mophead got hung out to dry

-Insert segue here-

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

drop out

drop out

CW: Suicidal thoughts / ideation

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Footnotes: “Takizawa” is a pretty common Japanese surname, the first element of which means “waterfall”. In Japanese-imported-from-Chinese mythology, carp who can successfully swim up waterfalls become dragons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

That shirt looks like it's being censored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It is, he's wearing an ahegao shirt.