Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Altered Innocence (a partner label of VS) confirmed they'll be releasing the Straight Cut of Irreversible, a 2K restoration with the film playing out in chronological order

First it'll be hitting limited theaters next month https://theplaylist.net/gaspar-noe-irreversible-straight-cut-finally-comes-us-feb-chronological-restoration-infamous-films-20230117/

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Red Eye is a perfect movie.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I don't have any specific info to cite but everything I remember hearing about those Shout Factory UHDs is that they're pretty much the same as the existing ones, at least in terms of the actual movie. Maybe the person you heard on the stream was talking about packaging and special features?

Thanks! I've bought these movies so many times since the VHS days, and didn't want to buy them yet again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Got my VinSyn and Severin orders in on the same day! :woop:

I think I'll do the sensible thing from now on though and keep all of them sealed until I actually decide to watch each of them. I don't see myself ever not watching them, but there are a few unwatched blus and DVDs on my shelf right now that I kinda wished I'd kept sealed. I might like them, but every once and a while I look at them and wonder why I bought them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Chris James 2 posted:

Altered Innocence (a partner label of VS) confirmed they'll be releasing the Straight Cut of Irreversible, a 2K restoration with the film playing out in chronological order

First it'll be hitting limited theaters next month https://theplaylist.net/gaspar-noe-irreversible-straight-cut-finally-comes-us-feb-chronological-restoration-infamous-films-20230117/

As much as I liked that film, this has no appeal to me for some reason. I looked up the changes, and the new title cards and such sound cool, but I'd rather have a 4k with the theatrical and this as a second disc or something.

Same goes for memento

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

Got my VinSyn and Severin orders in on the same day! :woop:

I think I'll do the sensible thing from now on though and keep all of them sealed until I actually decide to watch each of them. I don't see myself ever not watching them, but there are a few unwatched blus and DVDs on my shelf right now that I kinda wished I'd kept sealed. I might like them, but every once and a while I look at them and wonder why I bought them.

Yeah, I used to open them all and inspect them before watching them. Then my pile got too big, and I couldn't figure out what I had and had not watched, and in a few cases some unwatched discs made it to the shelf. Now I keep them sealed, unless for whatever reason at the last minute I decide I'd rather watch Critters 2 again instead.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AGFA (another VS partner label) announced theatrical screenings of a new 4K restoration of the original Assault on Precinct 13. Physical release likely to follow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmuM704bMjM

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31991

Amazing to think it's been 20 years. I think we all can remember where we were when we saw this one for the first time. A true cinema landmark.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've seen The Core like a dozen times, it was on every pay cable channel 24 hours a day from '04-'08

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea make no mistake I'll be buying that UHD.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chris James 2 posted:

AGFA (another VS partner label) announced theatrical screenings of a new 4K restoration of the original Assault on Precinct 13. Physical release likely to follow

:pray: VS Slipcover :pray:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Isn't there a similar contemporary movie to the core? Kinda like a dantes peak/volcano thing.

e: or deep impact/armageddon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

Isn't there a similar contemporary movie to the core? Kinda like a dantes peak/volcano thing.

Not really, unless you're talking about 2012, which was like seven years after The Core.

Maybe you're thinking of Deep Impact/Armageddon, which did come out the same year(1998).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

Not really, unless you're talking about 2012, which was like seven years after The Core.

Maybe you're thinking of Deep Impact/Armageddon, which did come out the same year(1998).

weird, coulda swore there was another go to the center of the planet movie..Mandela effect maybe

e: journey to the center of the earth was 2008 so i don't think that's what it was either

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 18, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Chris James 2 posted:

They played this trailer in front of my (35MM) screening of Maximum Overdrive last night. Stupidly excited for this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31991

Amazing to think it's been 20 years. I think we all can remember where we were when we saw this one for the first time. A true cinema landmark.

The Core is a real “pretending to be sick/actually sick at home during a school day” guilty pleasure, so yeah, absolutely picking that up at some point.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Chris James 2 posted:

AGFA (another VS partner label) announced theatrical screenings of a new 4K restoration of the original Assault on Precinct 13.
Laurie Zimmer in 4K. :swoon:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

Laurie Zimmer in 4K. :swoon:

yes, but more Nancy Kyes in 4K

:sweatdrop:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I hope this gets a screening near where I love. What a great loving movie. I don't give a poo poo what anyone says, Assault on Precinct 13 is a perfect goddamn film and this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

edogawa rando posted:

I hope this gets a screening near where I love. What a great loving movie. I don't give a poo poo what anyone says, Assault on Precinct 13 is a perfect goddamn film and this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

I don't think you'll get any disagreement around here

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

edogawa rando posted:

quote:

1/11 – 1/13 – Globe Cinema / Calgary, Canada
week of 1/20 – Gateway Film Center / Columbus, OH
week of 1/20 – Screenland Armour / Kansas City, MO
week of 1/20 – Majestic Theaters Tempe / Phoenix, AZ
week of 1/20 – Music Box / Chicago, IL
week of 1/27 – The Beacon / Seattle, WA
week of 1/27 – Somerville Theater / Somerville, MA
week of 1/27 – Plaza Theater / Atlanta, GA
week of 1/27 – Charlotte Film Society / Charlotte, NC
1/22 – Digital Gym / San Diego, CA
1/26 – Crosstown Arts / Memphis, TN
starting 1/26 – Rio Theatre / Vancouver, BC
1/27 – 1/30 – Frida Cinema / Santa Ana, CA
1/29 – 2/1 – Metro Cinema / Edmonton, Canada
throughout Feb 2023 – Winnipeg Film Society / Winnipeg, Canada
2/3 – Charles Theater / Baltimore, MD
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse DTLA / Los Angeles, CA
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Lower Manhattan / NYC
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse New Mission / San Francisco, CA
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Park North / San Antonio, TX
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Raleigh / Raleigh, NC
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Sloans Lake / Denver, CO
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar / Austin, TX
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Staten Island / NYC
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers / Yonkers, NY
week of 2/3 – Mayfair Theater / Ottawa, ON
week of 2/3 – Hollywood Theater / Portland, OR
week of 2/3 – Cinema Arts Centre / Huntington, NY
2/6 – Nitehawk Prospect Park / NYC
2/17 – 2/18 – Late Nite Grindhouse / St. Louis, MO
2/25 – University of Wisconsin Cinematheque / Madison, WI
week of 3/10 – Ragtag Cinema / Columbia, MO
3/17 – 3/19 – Trylon Cinema / Minneapolis, MN

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I don't live in North America.

Bring it to the Southern Hemisphere, AGFA and VS, you cowards.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm so glad my local Australian government funded art gallery has a penchant for showing trash film and importing 35mm reels from AGFA and Severin and Arrow and Criterion for their retrospectives

They did the insane thing of showing Pink Flamingos for free at 3pm on a Saturday during school holidays one year. I loving love the programmer because they must be insane.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

morestuff posted:

I got that four-pack with Escape From New York / Fog / They Live / Prince of Darkness on sale and I'm very happy with the PQ. From what I remember it's the same transfer, just light on extras

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1615353677576916993?s=20&t=93jOfSd1dF6KcGwagfIDUg

Red Eye is a banger but I can't imagine it'll benefit too much from the upgrade, might just wait for it to drop under $10

any idea if this'll be available for pre-order at any non-amazon retailers? not seeing it elsewhere unfortunately.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

any idea if this'll be available for pre-order at any non-amazon retailers? not seeing it elsewhere unfortunately.

Best Buy always takes forever with getting their listings up. Dunno about everyone else.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arrow's got the Female Prisoner Scorpion boxset down to 30 bucks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

might be a touchy subject, but here goes. is there any way to get non-special editions of the original star wars trilogy in 4k uhd, or has every release since those special editions been hosed? would love those originals done right somehow, and figure there might be a slight chance disney decided to unfuck the films.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

abelwingnut posted:

might be a touchy subject, but here goes. is there any way to get non-special editions of the original star wars trilogy in 4k uhd, or has every release since those special editions been hosed? would love those originals done right somehow, and figure there might be a slight chance disney decided to unfuck the films.

Piracy only.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

abelwingnut posted:

Officially? No.

Unofficially? Look up Ohteedee's restoration (D+77/D+80/D+83). Uses the newest 4K discs as a base and then replaces the Special Edition'd shots with footage from original 35mm theatrical prints.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The retails are such trash, a straight scan like the 4K77 ones is my preference.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, so i've heard. i just can't stand the special editions so i'm not even going to try the retails i know are out there.

i also just learned there's a disc in the 2006 release with the original, pre-special edition versions on there. but i guess solely to troll the true fans the studio didn't touch them up whatsoever.

pretty brazen.

it's also wild how there're like 4 different versions of the touched-up, non-special editions. the 4k__, the despecialized, the silver screen edition, and something else i can't remember the name of right now.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Serious question.

What am I supposed to do with all these Severin stickers? I only have so many flat surfaces.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Serious question.

What am I supposed to do with all these Severin stickers? I only have so many flat surfaces.
You got the back of stop signs around town, right?

You know what to do.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This is so good.

https://twitter.com/JillKrajewski/status/1616434242652602370

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Amazing

That is one of those things that can't be as easy as it looks. It'd be hard enough to do, without a suit on and thousands of people looking at you

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1616442850174185475?s=20

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

yea, so i've heard. i just can't stand the special editions so i'm not even going to try the retails i know are out there.
I hope Disney makes an Even More Special Edition where Jabba the Hutt is a CGI poop emoji and the opening crawl is replaced with narration by Blippi, because adults who care about Star Wars are weird and dumb.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Jar Jar is now friends with Caillou

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wanna see Disney try and update prequel cgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I hope Disney makes an Even More Special Edition where Jabba the Hutt is a CGI poop emoji and the opening crawl is replaced with narration by Blippi, because adults who care about Star Wars are weird and dumb.

Sure there’s plenty of people who take it way too far, but you can be a rational and sane person who watches the films and would prefer not seeing late 90s CG and lovely jokes added when it was perfectly fine as it was.