Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I have a 4-year old HP Spectre ultralight that is all I need for work and more with Arch Linux on it. All of work is remote - Zoom and Citrix don't take up much CPU, though Zoom is wasteful of battery when idling. Lots of Chrome tabs, youtube videos, it runs like a champ.

Wayland works well on the integrated GPU, didn't have to do anything Arch selected Wayland.

Gaming is the only reason I'd need another machine, really. With RDNA2 APUs or maybe the RDNA3 APUs, I suspect I'd be happy enough for gaming too on an ultralight from the next couple of years. On Linux, of course - Linux gaming is so good now with Wine/Proton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

v1ld posted:

I have a 4-year old HP Spectre ultralight that is all I need for work and more with Arch Linux on it. All of work is remote - Zoom and Citrix don't take up much CPU, though Zoom is wasteful of battery when idling. Lots of Chrome tabs, youtube videos, it runs like a champ.

Wayland works well on the integrated GPU, didn't have to do anything Arch selected Wayland.

Gaming is the only reason I'd need another machine, really. With RDNA2 APUs or maybe the RDNA3 APUs, I suspect I'd be happy enough for gaming too on an ultralight from the next couple of years. On Linux, of course - Linux gaming is so good now with Wine/Proton.

The 680m has been a hot mess for me under Linux. Hopefully the rdna3 ones coming out are better.

Had to switch from amd p state back to acpi cpufreq to stop constantly crashing, and still can't get display output using USB c docks with Wayland - only x11.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

You'd think so but just a few tabs open in a modern browser is enough to bring most mid-range laptops to their knees.

Ublock is a better PC upgrade than a $1000 CPU.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

The 680m has been a hot mess for me under Linux. Hopefully the rdna3 ones coming out are better.

Had to switch from amd p state back to acpi cpufreq to stop constantly crashing, and still can't get display output using USB c docks with Wayland - only x11.

Ugh, that's sad to hear.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

v1ld posted:

Ugh, that's sad to hear.

Yeah it was quite frustrating. On the bright side, now that I know the caveats I finally have a stable machine running fedora 37, and it's possible not all implementations have the problem. I think most of the reports were Asus or Lenovo. Details here:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2068

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Keito posted:

You'd think so but just a few tabs open in a modern browser is enough to bring most mid-range laptops to their knees.

Websites that show ads have ads and tracking use all available resources. Websites that show anything else have the website developers implement their own VMs in javascript, that your poor browser then has to run.

https://www.nullpt.rs/devirtualizing-nike-vm-1
https://www.nullpt.rs/reverse-engineering-tiktok-vm-1

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Klyith posted:

Ublock is a better PC upgrade than a $1000 CPU.

This so much. I also had to switch to old reddit because the new site was destroying my 8c Ryzen with so much loving JavaScript that I was getting 3-4 word lag in typing.

Developers should have to test their apps on bog standard machines before release instead of saying ”well it works great on my 6c 9th-gen i9 w/32GB RAM, ship it". But that would require effort.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's always weird for me to use a browser that doesn't have NoScript and uBlock Origin running.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

uBlock Origin can do what NoScript does via the medium blocking-mode.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't doubt that, but I have years of ingrained habit using both, and my NoScript settings synced across machines, so a little redundancy doesn't bother me. If I'm running a seriously underpowered machine I might keep it in mind as an option, though.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Unless I'm missing something, that isn't the same because it only blocks 3rd party js.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Unless I'm missing something, that isn't the same because it only blocks 3rd party js.
Hmm, then I don't know where my rules are from, but I have this:
pre:
no-csp-reports: * true
no-large-media: behind-the-scene false
* * 3p block
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
behind-the-scene * * noop
behind-the-scene * 1p-script noop
behind-the-scene * 3p block
behind-the-scene * 3p-frame block
behind-the-scene * 3p-script block
behind-the-scene * image noop
behind-the-scene * inline-script noop

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you really want to lock things down, uBlock Origin's creator also provides uMatrix, which is definitely a gun to the knife fight of blocking content.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

If you really want to lock things down, uBlock Origin's creator also provides uMatrix, which is definitely a gun to the knife fight of blocking content.
uMatrix is more like bringing a precision kinetic bombardment system to a knife fight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

uMatrix got EOL'd didn't it? I used it for years and loved it but I think it got pulled off extension sites.

If it's back that's rad and I have something to do tonight.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

uMatrix got EOL'd didn't it? I used it for years and loved it but I think it got pulled off extension sites.

If it's back that's rad and I have something to do tonight.

It's on Firefox and Chrome?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/umatrix/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/umatrix/ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf

No updates since 2021 but I figure its core functionality is pretty stable?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VorpalFish posted:

Look again, you can block
inline scripts
1st-party scripts
3rd-party scripts
3rd-party frames

Ublock is actually finer-grained than noscript, but if you already have noscript fully set up I can see being reluctant to switch over. I bet it would be relatively to convert an export of noscript's rules into an import to ublock though. I should look into that.

Tesseraction posted:

uMatrix is not being developed anymore, so I would generally not recommend picking it up now

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ah, the uMatrix repo has been archived over on github.
In an ideal world, there'd also be deprecation notices on the add-ons.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

pre:
* * 3p block
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block

Huh. Is it as easy/quick to whitelist by domain on a permanent/temp basis as noscript? I run both but could see consolidating if it does the same thing and is as easy to use.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Huh. Is it as easy/quick to whitelist by domain on a permanent/temp basis as noscript? I run both but could see consolidating if it does the same thing and is as easy to use.
It's been so long since I used NoScript that I don't remember how it's done there, but I'll describe my process:

Go to site. If site is broken, click ublock origin icon (read: use the keyboard shortcut). Select FQDNs based on what's likely to be a CDN and/or what's hinted as having a bigger share of the traffic (going by the number of plusses, though this doesn't always work), and make these FQDNS per-domain noops.
If that fails and I can't find an alternative elsewhere, I set a temporary noop for third-party scripts on the domain (ie. the right part of the columns), and look for FQDNs through the same procedure as above. Finally, if I get a site to work, I make sure to save it.

It's a lot of work to start out with, but it quickly becomes second-nature and I'd much rather do it this way than trust sites with third-party javascript on first-pageload.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 22, 2023

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

pre:
* * 3p block
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block

The behind the scene rules are set automatically on a new install - I noticed those too recently and did a bit of googling. In short, they have no effect unless you go out of your way to delete them and enable "hard" mode. https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/1068

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VorpalFish posted:

Yes.

Here I've just clicked the microsoft.com box on the local side. That gives you a handy refresh to see if the page is working without closing the UI. Also a padlock to save or an eraser to revert. Anything you don't save is temporary by default.

Once you get used to it, it is IMO a way better way to manage it than noscript. But it's also a bunch of totally unexplained boxes so it takes a minute to learn. For normal people noscript is easier, but if you're in this thread you can probably handle an impenetrable UI.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Satire Forum Mom posted:

The behind the scene rules are set automatically on a new install - I noticed those too recently and did a bit of googling. In short, they have no effect unless you go out of your way to delete them and enable "hard" mode. https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/1068
Ah, I hadn't realized you need to do that nowadays.
My profile is getting on in years, so it's likely that quite a few things have changed.

Alternatively, I've just forgotten that I did that at some point - because it sure looks like it's been done/hasn't been needed.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

For normal people noscript is easier, but if you're in this thread you can probably handle an impenetrable UI.

Maybe it's changed since then but last time I used noscript its interface sure as hell was much less intuitive then uBO, advanced user or not.

There's also the master setting to allow/deny all JS execution (1st and 3rd-party) that can be toggled for each site with a click on the </> icon on the right-side of the panel, and that functionality is available even when "advanced user" mode isn't.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Been playing with it in a vm and it is... not intuitive. Imo way steeper learning curve than noscript.

Neat though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Normal people won't bother to learn either Noscript or UBO's advanced mode. Nor to deal with the occasional web-designer-didn't-test-for-Firefox issue.

If I were to setup a non-nerd friend's browser, I'd just put them on Brave and install UBO with default settings + ClearURLs + maybe Decentraleyes (it's maintained again). Add Sponsorblock and I Don't Care About Cookies for convenience.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doesn't Brave use some weird cryptocurrency token?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tesseraction posted:

Doesn't Brave use some weird cryptocurrency token?

You have the option of enabling Brave's non-tracking ads in exchange for a token that you can then gift to your favourite youtubers or whatever. It's turned off by default so I don't consider it a problem.

If you want a 100% pure Chrome-based browser the best choice is Ungoogled Chromium (or Bromite for Android), but non-nerds will get annoyed when Prime or Netflix refuse to stream in HD on it, and updating it isn't always fully automatic. I consider Brave as the next best option. Vivaldi is almost certainly fine too, but it isn't open-source so you need to really trust the devs.

---

New question: I was trying to read some EPUBs on my Fedora PC, and I noticed that the selection of available fonts was pretty minimal. I'm not interested in adding individual fonts one by one, is there a package somewhere that will provide a reasonable selection?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My BF used to work for Opera and lost his job around the same time as the rest of the Oslo office, when the Chinese investors took over and moved development to Poland.

He's now in Vivaldi (with many of his old colleagues), and my impression is that it's mostly "Jon von Tetschner just wants to make a browser" - so the feature priorities are more about what he finds interesting that day and less about what makes market sense. They're really bad at monetisation, though (they rely on von Tetschners private income to break even) - which I guess could be seen as a plus?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Computer viking posted:

my impression is that it's mostly "Jon von Tetschner just wants to make a browser"

Being fair to the guy that's basically been his entire Thing since the mid-90s. If there's one thing you can trust him on, making web browsers is his cocaine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

but it isn't open-source so you need to really trust the devs.

I've said this in the browser threads, but I trust just about anyone more than I trust a crytocurrency company. Brave are a bunch of grifters, they've demonstrated it with previous behavior.

All I can hear when someone says they're trustworthy is "well I haven't been a victim of the grift". Yet.

VVV e:

Nitrousoxide posted:

unless folks fork and disable that.

Vivaldi and Brave are both continuing to support manifest V2. Edge is not. In the long term, I'm not sure whether manifest V2 will continue forever, or if the chromium forks will go with a hybrid approach where they use Manifest V3 but with additional capabilities.

FWIW that seems to be Firefox's plan: they will eventually be removing support for V2, but the Firefox version of V3 will include WebRequest blocking and other APIs that google is not.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 23, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NihilCredo posted:

You have the option of enabling Brave's non-tracking ads in exchange for a token that you can then gift to your favourite youtubers or whatever. It's turned off by default so I don't consider it a problem.

If you want a 100% pure Chrome-based browser the best choice is Ungoogled Chromium (or Bromite for Android), but non-nerds will get annoyed when Prime or Netflix refuse to stream in HD on it, and updating it isn't always fully automatic. I consider Brave as the next best option. Vivaldi is almost certainly fine too, but it isn't open-source so you need to really trust the devs.

---

New question: I was trying to read some EPUBs on my Fedora PC, and I noticed that the selection of available fonts was pretty minimal. I'm not interested in adding individual fonts one by one, is there a package somewhere that will provide a reasonable selection?

Brave has the advantage of having a built in ad blocker that will ignore the change to manifest v3 since it doesn't use the extension API by virtue of being baked in. So it will probably be the most powerful blocker once manifest v3 is enforced upstream for chromium browsers in a few months unless folks fork and disable that.

Font Manger has a gui that makes downloading whole font families easy
https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.FontManager

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

I've said this in the browser threads, but I trust just about anyone more than I trust a crytocurrency company. Brave are a bunch of grifters, they've demonstrated it with previous behavior.

All I can hear when someone says they're trustworthy is "well I haven't been a victim of the grift". Yet.

*rolling in in a wheelchair from all the times my legs have been shattered by a rugpull* I'm sure THIS crypto dev team won't rugpull my investment!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
what Linux should I run on the random HP thin client that I have which has a surprisingly powerful CPU on it?

I'm tired of running my various Dockers on my Mac because all they do is leak memory, but I've never lived on any server-y platform for more than a few hours.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For use as a desktop or (mostly) headless server?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Headless server to mostly just be a reverse proxy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'd probably pick ubuntu server. Lots of good docs and answers on the internet for "how do I do x" questions. All the crap that's made ubuntu annoying or bad on desktop doesn't apply. And it's free.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Again I'd personally recommend Debian or something based off RHEL.

But, you know,

"Which distro is best" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have no background or preference for a distro I'd avoid RedHat derivative stuff at this point. The OS works fine and all that, there's nothing technically wrong with it right now but the company has made some dumb decisions in the past few years and it feels like IBM is slowly loving the whole organization up.

Fedora will probably be just fine for many years to come but I don't like the vibe coming from the company anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, that's fair, I don't like the precedent of them ditching CentOS, so I'd probably push more Debian - I've tended to be a bit sceptical of Ubuntu ever since that abortive Amazon partnership debacle.