Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Do not seek the USB drive. It does not reveal itself to those who desire it, only to those who have no need for it.

It's better to know the stick and not need it, than to need the stick and not know of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Just spawns as a scav with a usb drive and got immediately head eyed.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I finally got my 2nd skier flash drive last night. Cottage safe on shoreline.

Level 20 and only just unlocked friend from the West

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

hello internet posted:

I find them loose in the warehouses on customs all the time. Same with The National on interchange

I found one. Then I found two in the same raid about a hour later lol

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I don't think flash drives spawn sticking out of PCs anymore, i remember one wipe they were bugged so there sideways like they'd been glued on to the front panel, then they were removed entirely instead of fixed, they mostly spawn in safes now, occasionally filing cabs, and sometimes jackets/duffles/stashes.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Level 20 and only just unlocked friend from the West

This was me a few wipes back, just couldn't for the life of me find that last packet of emelya rye croutons

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
This loving game... Jesus.

So, I found a red flare. I've held on to it for a couple of days and finally figured "gently caress it, may as well die trying to use".

So I concoct a plan to go onto woods and use this thing at night, I know people like to skulk around and avoid anything they can at night on there. I decide the east side of the map is less populated, generally the south east corner is always empty and luckily I spawn by the roadblock.

I slowly take my time heading the very eastern edge of the map and hide in a bush somewhere between factory gate and UN roadblock. I can't equip it or use it from my inventory to quickly Google it. The first 2 links tell me what I need, but not how to use the bloody thing so I see a link for tiktok of all loving places.

Immediately it points out you need to bind the thing to a bloody hotkey to use it, clearly I'm stupid (Right BSG, it's my fault?). I bind it, then fire the thing and hear nothing, I know it's a little buggy so I look around from my bush, still see no plane and figure maybe I need to wait a little, I will finish the stupid tiktok video while I wait.

Video points out you need to shoot the flare up, I didn't, I just shot it and assumed it would shoot up. Welp. With that, I decided to think what to do next, I brought a long range rifle as I didn't think I'd be doing any major engaging, if any and fully expected to have PMCs all over me the moment I called it in.

Then I notice red smoke in front of me about 100 yards away, gently caress me. The drat thing worked. I slowly make my way over expecting to be mobbed and open it up to find a nice MMAC play carrier, awesome. I have no armour so it's perfect..

Turns out it had a few useful bits in, some food, a SMT whatever the gently caress that is, random bits of ammo, some TNT, Thermite and some big arse thing I've not identified yet so I examine it and gently caress me, it's a Tier 6 armour, A Tasmanian Tiger SK plate carrier.

I throw that on, grab as much as I can carry including an AK that was in the crate and run till I have no stamina left and try to take some cover in the woods.

I hear footsteps on wood and immediately bring my AK up but I can't see anything, can't hear anything. I go prone for a few seconds to be safe and then I hear footsteps getting close. I freeze...

A 2 stack spotted the drop and walk in front of me close enough I could smell them if It was possible. I poo poo myself and prey. They wander off slowly towards the drop and I belly crawl away once I can't hear they footsteps anymore....

I didn't plan to extract, I think maybe taking the bridge extraction is the best as it's closest and head that direction then I suddenly remember I have to wait a min to be extracted. I don't want to take the risk with this loot and slowly make my way around the southern side of the mountain and around the very edge of the sawmill, I can hear Scavs laughing and joking, it's tempting to try and take them down but I decide I don't want to give up my location to anyone and have no silenced weapons. I slowly carry on, dashing over the road between the sawmill and the checkpoint knowing I have Scavs on both sides.

I see the scope shack ahead and go left, there's a little more cover and I don't want to go around the front of it just in case when I hear shots behind me, someone's at the checkpoint.

I get up and run forward for a few seconds toward cover, I hear a player scav on my left and figure he's extracting so I wait for him to pass and head to the very edge of the map by the minefield then suddenly spot a PMC looking directly at me from outskirts he fires, then vanishes. He extracted. gently caress me. I run for the extract and dive in a bush, ny heart loving pounding.

I swear no other game, other than EVE online has given me such a loving stressfully fun experience playing it and I've given up with EVE, this could be my new long term love affair so long as the wife can tolerate it. :unsmith: oh, I got 2 flash drives from it too. :toot:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

grats on the exciting raid, that is Tarkov at its very best

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Definitely a game that’s given me the highest highs and LOWEST lows of any shooter I’ve played.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

One day early this wipe I got shooter born'd by scavs twice in a row

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Definitely a game that’s given me the highest highs and LOWEST lows of any shooter I’ve played.
Bullying the entire Interchange parking lot with Killa plate and an RPK only to get legged by a naked guy hiding on shelves with a Ks-23 has to be the maddest I have ever been over a game haha

Fast forward to early next season and I put a single round of green tip through some absolute mountain’s eye at the Hell Mouth and stole his underground exit too. I think that kit set me up all the way to the wipe.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man I think they upped the spawn rate for armors this raid, I keep finding a lot of tier 3-5 armors is caches and boxes. It's great! I didn't need to buy a single armor this wipe, Ragman pays me more than he earns :v:

I keep starting engagements with 2+ players on Woods only to skeedadle once they start shooting back and hitting me, now that's excitement. Never knowing if they will follow me or give up, maybe some of them have bled out? The mystery is killing me. Also the weekend curse is very real, on weekends Tarkov taketh, but during the week Tarkov giveth. Just yesterday I found a cyclone battery on Woods :eyepop: I am having more fun this wipe then ever, this is great.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I haven't had the opportunity to play a ton, so I'm still a couple of levels away from 15, but learning most of the stash spots on woods and customs has made me rich as heck, I already have 5m in the bank that I'm ready to blow on hideout upgrades as soon as I get the flea market

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I've had to buy a second junkbox for all the poo poo I'm hoarding for hideout upgrades.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Delivery From The Past has been brutal this weekend.

Killed 2 of a three man on Customs, died to third. Died to a gun jam on Customs. Died to an exit camper at ZB-011. Died twice to NVG-wearing tanks on Factory.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I can't believe you picked the PMC extract at night as your quiet place for the bright red glowing airdrop

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Toalpaz posted:

I can't believe you picked the PMC extract at night as your quiet place for the bright red glowing airdrop

Haha, the PMC extract was the other side of the map that game, I always seem to have outskirts as the extract and never the UN roadblock thingie.

I have a mission from fence to extract on woods but it didn't complete, are all his missions scav based?

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the quest side of the game, it's a very enjoyable game but the questing is almost impossible solo. I just tried 5 times to do the big sale quest for skier and died twice with 2 good gear, the next 3 times I took a pistol and rig and just ran, each time walking right into someone's line of sight while inside. It's not a fun map for quests.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Haha, the PMC extract was the other side of the map that game

Everyone gets a different set of extracts depending on where they spawn.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Everyone gets a different set of extracts depending on where they spawn.

RIP. I didn't realise that. I thought everyone got the same ones.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Bohemian Nights posted:

File cabinets or literally sticking out of the front of computer cases on any map that has em

I haven't seen a flash drive sticking out of a computer for 3 wipes now, I genuinely think they removed this spawn from the game.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Last wipe I found about a half dozen or so Flash drives stuck to the front of computers. This wipe I havent seen a single one, fwiw

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

RIP. I didn't realise that. I thought everyone got the same ones.

Each map usually has two sets of extracts and they tend to be split on an axis, i.e. everyone who spawns on the west half of the map gets the eastern set and vice versa. It's different per map and some, like reserve, just always have the same set for everyone.

Woods is very weird and the axis is set in anyway that means most players end up with the outskirts extract

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Yea woods is weird. The scav bunker/usec camp spawn even gets out skirts as it's extract, when un roadblock is probably 50% further away

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Customs has its own quirks with that too, where you spawn close to dorms/electric pole and have Old Gas Station as an extract, which while not always open and certainly on the "other side of the map" is also extremely close for an exit.

Do planes now spawn randomly without the airdrop? I've seen a few of them just fly over the map, make a big turn and leave. No countermeasure flares, no airdrops. No sound either, that's why I thought they might be decorations.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kikas posted:

Do planes now spawn randomly without the airdrop? I've seen a few of them just fly over the map, make a big turn and leave. No countermeasure flares, no airdrops. No sound either, that's why I thought they might be decorations.

Airdrops are super buggy right now. No sound so you might just look up and happen to see a box floating way up in the sky. Then suddenly it'll snap down to a hundred meters altitude gently descending with no parachute.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I fell onto an unlooted airdrop on woods last night during a scav run, I assume someone didn't get the plane spawn or something and it just teleported onto the ground.

Can you guys try to articulate the difference in this wipe with the sound issues for me? I'm curious just how bad it is compared to previously as I've no context. I wonder if it will make PvP easier when it's fixed.

Edit: unlooted not unlimited. Phone posting

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 18, 2023

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I fell onto an unlimited airdrop on woods last night during a scav run, I assume someone didn't get the plane spawn or something and it just teleported onto the ground.

Can you guys try to articulate the difference in this wipe with the sound issues for me? I'm curious just how bad it is compared to previously as I've no context. I wonder if it will make PvP easier when it's fixed.

Veritas has done some in depth sound system mechanics videos on YouTube that may be worth watching for more info, but the main one is like an hour and a half 3 loving hours long.

He released a shorter video recently after the new patch where he just plays different scenarios in game and asked the audience to guess where they are coming from with no visual in the new system and it's a complete crapshoot because now it's impossible to tell distance and relative location of a sound.

Previous issues were bad but it seems worse now tbh. Sounds like scavs yelling at you seem like they're ten feet away while they're in some building across the street, footsteps that sound like they're behind are actually above, no footsteps at all, etc.

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 18, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I fell onto an unlooted airdrop on woods last night during a scav run, I assume someone didn't get the plane spawn or something and it just teleported onto the ground.

Edit: unlooted not unlimited. Phone posting

When binaural audio came out it literally had flipped right and left for some players for a day. It also sometimes played a single sound like the source moved into your hair for a second, then it went back to it's proper distance. Item dropping, a single footstep, a lone gunshot. poo poo was wild. Oh yeah and it ignored elevation when counting distance to source, so people above you made noise like there were next to you

An unlooted airdrop could have been a random one. Before this wipe, for the last one, that was the only way to encounter it. Now you can summon with flares, but they sometimes still appear randomly. On Woods it's sometimes easier to say "yeah gently caress it" when it drops across the map.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

The Clap posted:

I haven't seen a flash drive sticking out of a computer for 3 wipes now, I genuinely think they removed this spawn from the game.

Just found one sticking out of the customs PC van while scaving. Also I died to a player scav during that run. Classic!

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I pretty much exclusively find my flash drives in stashes

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

poe meater posted:

Just found one sticking out of the customs PC van while scaving. Also I died to a player scav during that run. Classic!

Dang. It appears I simply need to get better at the video game

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I have found both my flash drives in filing cabinets. I have looted a lot of filing cabinets...

In better news, I got the cottage safe key and cottage backdoor key in scav raids, so I guess have some safe loot to grind.

I'm trying this wipe with no flea market and only scavs on factory. I'll probably have to make some exceptions, but I think it makes things much more interesting.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Was running my scav on Customs and had a PMC bleed out right in front of me. His dogtag gives his name as "GoonSeshMember1" and I was thinking 'one of us? probably not, but maybe?' and was gonna come here and say sorry you bled to death but you also had a dogtag from a level 1 guy, a pristine USEC newbie M4, a non-FIR MRE and bottle of water, and a bunch of STANAGs full of M855 so you're a bad person for taking a noobs gun but out of curiosity I decided to throw "goonsesh" into Google which gave me results for Gooning and basically I learned something awful today.

Also I kept the newbie's M4

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Gooning... Do I even want to.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

jacking off with zoomer characteristics

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Sheesh, you walk in for a drill and spawn in front of a mint fresh airdrop :v: And I've still had to discard stuff from it because my stash was full and I needed the space for the lightbulbs and the drill (finally found it in Techno, unlooted somehow).

Now just that brick of TNT and 2 dry fuels and I can keep on building my hideout.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Was running my scav on Customs and had a PMC bleed out right in front of me. His dogtag gives his name as "GoonSeshMember1" and I was thinking 'one of us? probably not, but maybe?' and was gonna come here and say sorry you bled to death but you also had a dogtag from a level 1 guy, a pristine USEC newbie M4, a non-FIR MRE and bottle of water, and a bunch of STANAGs full of M855 so you're a bad person for taking a noobs gun but out of curiosity I decided to throw "goonsesh" into Google which gave me results for Gooning and basically I learned something awful today.

First time hopping on this wipe, two different discord channels of tarkov going. After playing a minute a Goon immediate hops in the channel and was like “Did you just kill me???” Because someone with the same username minus some numbers kills him. Freaky

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Goon is Australian slang for boxed wine, so that may have been the sesh they are a member of.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Is there any way to get some kind of discount right now? The base game inventory is brutal. Not being able to basically stash anything on top of sucking rear end is like salt on a wound...

Those prices sure are high...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
There was a sale not long ago so I doubt it. It's what made me take the plunge to buy it.