Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Still Toney time

Tony Abbott advising controversial conservative lobby group Advance Australia

quote:

Former prime minister Tony Abbott is among a group of advisers to a conservative lobby group that last month was found to have published false information about the Voice to Parliament proposal in Facebook ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Comstar posted:

I spent 2 days telling the doctors "I don't care about the time line, my entire body going bright red is a reaction to one of the several antibiotic's you've got me on for 12 hours of the day". To be fair, I could not tell them which one. They figured it out eventually.

Also, I found out why Oxy-Codene is a narcotic. Being able to turn on and off my dreams and dream-state at will and have imaginary people standing around and talking is what I presume getting high is like? Wasn't very pleasant though, I'm not sure it's that enjoyable. I tried making a movie in the dream but it didn't work.

Is that why they took Codene off the Coles shelf?

A now very distant friend had smoked heroin once or twice and said it was basically that yeah. 'like a big warm hug from every good memory you've ever had, all at once, for the whole time.'

Codeine is basically nurofen in comparison to oxycodone.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Hmm, pretty sure if Aurora Borealis is actually visible in Alice, worlds electrical grid is probably in the middle of getting proper hosed up.

Be bloody great sight thou.

Pine Gap weather control program malfunction

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SCheeseman posted:

Oxy is basically diet heroin.

All the taste, none of the calories?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I just learned Contrapoints got hooked on opium.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Resident Idiot posted:

I remember we thought that in 2013.

The '13 result stemmed more from "hatred of Julia Gillard" rather than "love of Tony Abbott."

Not discounting that Abbott was instrumental in stoking that hatred, and the tactic might be useful again, but not its practitioner. We've been there and done that and Australians mostly dislike him, and if the Libs want to try the pit bull method again they need to pick a more unknown backbencher to do it.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
To be honest I don't know if they do hate him so much any more - I think he's largely forgotten, and Scott Morrison has absorbed most of that contempt. Tony Abbott has almost been redeemed a little by comparison.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Julia Gillard had an extermely hard battle if there was ever any chance of winning the 2013 election. She was fighting the "perfect" opposition leader in Tony Abbott, who along with Peta Credlin really knew how to be an obstructive brawler. The media campaign was unbelievable vitriolic, far beyond any of the usual anti-Labor bias seen before or since, and she was getting white-anted by Rudd - a complete narcissist who would rather take down government then have it lead by someone else.

Put on top of that the personal factors of being an unwed childless woman (with a boyfriend who was a hairdresser), striking a deal with the greens, and what some people considered a grating personal style on TV, she was on a hiding to nothing. No amount of good governance or policy was going to win that battle.

btw, I had no problem with her personal qualities above but it was easy fodder for the pub types not to like her.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Resident Idiot posted:

To be honest I don't know if they do hate him so much any more - I think he's largely forgotten, and Scott Morrison has absorbed most of that contempt. Tony Abbott has almost been redeemed a little by comparison.

Yeah Scomo’s “I don’t hold a hose mate” episode even had people in this thread saying at least Are Tones was a volunteer firefighter.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

The '13 result stemmed more from "hatred of Julia Gillard" rather than "love of Tony Abbott."

I'd say more the Labor infighting and backflipping leading to them looking inconsistent and incompetent (despite all the things Gillard actually got done), whereas Abbott ran a tight ship in regards to messaging.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Resident Idiot posted:

Abbott at least in my mind still represents the purest form of the Liberal Party's creepy old-school misogyny, which is an even worse look in 2023 than it was in 2015.

I don't doubt they'll parachute him into the Senate, I just don't think that's a good idea for them. Abbott's brand of conservatism is less popular with every passing year and every old fogey who dies and/or young person who turns 18. When the Liberals win government again it'll be in spite of culture warriors like him, not because of them.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also I think y'all are forgetting that Gillard didn't even contest that election.

Rudd knifed her at the last minute and ran a milquetoast third-way campaign that traded on none of the awesome work the Gillard govt/43rd parliament had done over the previous 3 years.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
abbott's since clarified that he's not interested in a senate seat and would only run for a for a house of reps seat if the party overwhelmingly wants him (which isn't going to happen - certainly some would but it'd be too divisive)

but it was very funny at least that the idea was even raised

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...8682a571abb?amp

quote:

But when asked about the prospect of standing for a seat in western Sydney he said it would depend on the Liberal Party.

“I have got to be first and foremost a servant of the party and it would depend very much on what the party wanted,” Mr Abbott said. “And the last thing I would want to do is do something in a way which was highly contentious inside the party.

“I think if I were to do anything for and with the party, it ought to be something that has overwhelming support.

“The last thing I want to do is be difficult, to make difficulties for Peter Dutton, who’s a friend of mine. I admire him very much and I think he’s doing a good job.

“I think the only way an ex-party leader could go back is if there was an overwhelming demand for it.”

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1615211331946258432?t=6lz7H8dgeRovmgP-HcJagA&s=19

quote:

In the past 50 years, as helmet designs have become more sophisticated, adult cycling deaths in the United States have not declined—they’ve quadrupled. As I dug into the history of these humble foam-and-plastic shells, I learned that helmets have a far more complicated relationship to bike safety than many seem ready to admit.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I feel like Abbott getting turfed out of a formerly safe seat and basically precipitating the Teal Wave may have leant him some clarity.

It's also a shocking juxtaposition to the right wing demagogues of today, who absolutely would not have learned a single lesson and are more likely to blame others/ call the validity of the election into question than accept the will of the people.

Absolutely agree with the poster above, Scotty makes Abbott look better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think the fundamental difference between Tony and Scomo is that although Tony’s political views were absolutely wretched and I vehemently object to just about all of them, everyone who knew him personally (including members of my own family) was lining up to talk about what a decent/honest/etc person he was. He also seemed to genuinely believe he was doing the right thing. As I’ve said before, Scomo doesn’t hold a hose. Tony would have had to be physically restrained from going out there with a hose; even if he swore up and down afterwards that the fires had nothing to do with climate change.

With Scomo, he only cared about himself, and power, and everyone who actually knew him ended up despising him and talking about what a liar, and a manipulator and a fraud he was.

In many ways it almost feels like an analogy to Catholicism and traditional religion as represented by Abbot, and new age wank churches as represented by Scomo.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

I feel like Abbott getting turfed out of a formerly safe seat and basically precipitating the Teal Wave may have leant him some clarity.

It's also a shocking juxtaposition to the right wing demagogues of today, who absolutely would not have learned a single lesson and are more likely to blame others/ call the validity of the election into question than accept the will of the people.

No, clearly the LNP defeat at the last election was because Scomo was a crypto-woke-lefty and the only answer is to double down on the right wing cooker stuff. This will mobilise the vast base support of the party, that untapped resource of over 70 christian fundamentalist racists.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I have to admit I am unfamiliar with the "cooker" term. Where does that come from?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Coward posted:

I have to admit I am unfamiliar with the "cooker" term. Where does that come from?

their brains are cooked

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
From the sort of people who cook meth.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Coward posted:

A conspiracist, “plandemic, covid is a hoax and the vaccine is poison” type, who have always been seeking but who’s numbers dramatically swelled in 2020. They were the ones who drove to Canberra and camped for a few days. I think Tom Tanuki takes credit for the term.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cooker is dumb. Hopefully it's just a shortened, monetisation friendly way of saying cooked oval office because calling them cookers sounds dumb as poo poo and is too adjacent to kooka(burra)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
the convoy to canberra twitch streams were fantastic entertainment. It's a shame they don't do it every year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

So yes some of the slides are dense but the point is to communicate as much information as efficiently as possible. I guess if I was presenting it (really only want 10-15 minutes of their time), I might use a trimmed version, and if I was just sending it it might be closer to this

Communicating efficiently doesn’t mean dropping the typeface down until it technically fits on a slide

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If I got that slidedeck I’m definitely chucking some notes in the CRM about you bucky fwiw

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Laserface posted:

Cooker is dumb. Hopefully it's just a shortened, monetisation friendly way of saying cooked oval office

Im pretty sure it is fwiw

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the convoy to canberra twitch streams were fantastic entertainment. It's a shame they don't do it every year.
It was like its own fringe festive. Only with the actual fringe self owning.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Didn't cooker really start getting used after the Canberra protests where they took over a park for a week+, but a lot of people were really badly sunburned because Canberra is higher than average above sea level meaning thinner atmosphere, meaning easy sun burn the microwave vans the secret police had parked all around.

Oh yeah and they were using car boots for toilets.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
PwC hit with wet lettuce for cheating the people of Australia out out of Billions

quote:

A scandal has engulfed accounting giant and key government consultant PwC after it emerged one of its top tax gurus has been disciplined after the firm’s corporate clients were given a heads-up on government tax reform plans to crack down on multinational tax avoidance.

You can think about it like insider trading on tax and an embarrassing lesson for the government on conflicts of interest. It’s also a warning about whom it lets inside its tent.

It raises questions about the use of private accounting firms to help formulate tax laws, when it is also serving its clients interests by ensuring they pay as little tax as is legally required.

These accounting firms, like their clients, are motivated by revenue and profit and their staff are in part remunerated by their contribution to the firm’s financial coffers.

The tax guru in question – former head of international tax for PwC, Peter-John Collins – was armed with inside knowledge of how the government was looking to change the rules to tap increased tax revenue, according to a review by the regulator of tax advisers, the Tax Practitioners Board. That review found Collins divulged this sensitive information to others within the firm. The intel was ultimately passed to the firm’s clients and used to market to prospective clients.

Collins had a solid reputation in the sector. His inclusion in a group of experts to advise the government on tax was testament to his expertise.

Collins was trumpeted by PwC in 2016 for being awarded the Tax Institute of Australia’s 2016 Corporate Tax Adviser of the Year and being the firm’s market voice on base erosion and profit sharing.

Base erosion and profit shifting is the tax planning strategy used by multinational companies to exploit gaps and differences between tax rules of different countries. This is done to artificially shift profits to low or no-tax jurisdictions where there is little or no economic activity.

Successive governments have been attempting to crack down on his kind of avoidance for years with large technology companies often cited as significant culprits.

Collins signed confidentiality agreements with Treasury in December 2013, April 2016 and February 2018. These agreements allowed him wide access to policy deliberations as he advised on Australia’s Multinational Anti-Avoidance Law.

In 2016, former Australian Tax Office deputy commissioner Mark Konza, who was in charge of the tax office’s big business and international division, declared to the media that he was shocked by a new scheme used to escape the consequences of the Multinational Anti Avoidance Law shortly after the new rules were put in place. Other ATO staff were also reportedly questioning the speed at which new anti avoidance structures had been put in place.

The entire affair is a black eye for PwC – one of the largest accounting firms in the world which has now been sanctioned for failing to have adequate arrangements in place to manage conflicts of interest.

The Tax Practitioners Board said that internal communications within PwC indicated that Mr Collins was aware that the confidential knowledge he gained from the consultations with Treasury would be leveraged to market PwC to a new client base. And having the privileged information enabled clients to potentially influence the structures “in a manner that may be perceived to circumvent the intent of the proposed legislation” regarding the OECD profit shifting provisions, according to an adjudication by the board.

In other words multinationals that would have been targeted by the tax changes had the opportunity to undertake a workaround.

The latest accounting scandal suggests the federal government may need to rethink its use of tax experts from large private firms to help it formulate policy to crackdown on multinational tax avoidance.
But it is these experts from top firms who are best equipped to help the government devise mechanisms that can combat tax avoidance.[

Billions this would have cost us. PwC is corrupt and should be annihilated.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1617451816043827203

every young liberal must have the same shaped head

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dude on the right looks more deserving of a name like “Chugg”

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Assuming that they got rid of the Cooley kid because he seemed to have a skerrick of a brain.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Assuming that they got rid of the Cooley kid because he seemed to have a skerrick of a brain.

I'm assuming they got rid of him because he looks like he's 45 years old

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Can we be sure they aren’t just rolling out a fresh clone of the same guy? The photo on the right looks like what you’d get if you put the one on the left through an ageing filter.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Lord Bude posted:

Can we be sure they aren’t just rolling out a fresh clone of the same guy? The photo on the right looks like what you’d get if you put the one on the left through an ageing filter.

Clark Cuuley

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Comstar posted:

PwC hit with wet lettuce for cheating the people of Australia out out of Billions

Billions this would have cost us. PwC is corrupt and should be annihilated.

It's a slight reputational hit for PwC and I'm sure there was some email sent around ensuring that partners actually use the special teams which manage conflicts of interest but not much will actually change here.

Theres a lot of focus on isolating the audit components from the consulting components in the Big 4 (IIRC at least one Big 4 spun off it's management consulting arm in an attempt to de-risk) but what's harder is when you have clients with potentially competing interests. It's why we have the many consulting firms as not one single firm can manage such a huge variety of competing interests but normally it's better managed than this.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Recoome posted:

It's a slight reputational hit for PwC and I'm sure there was some email sent around ensuring that partners actually use the special teams which manage conflicts of interest but not much will actually change here.

Theres a lot of focus on isolating the audit components from the consulting components in the Big 4 (IIRC at least one Big 4 spun off it's management consulting arm in an attempt to de-risk) but what's harder is when you have clients with potentially competing interests. It's why we have the many consulting firms as not one single firm can manage such a huge variety of competing interests but normally it's better managed than this.

I mean throwing some people in jail for twenty years as an example would be a pretty good first step.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Recoome posted:

EY is in the process of completely separating the audit/assurance and consulting businesses globally - the assurance side will remain a partner-model style firm, while they’re planning on listing the consulting business on (presumably) the NYSE with existing partners still owning ~70%.

The tech consulting teams currently are not allowed to recommend or supply AWS services because EY audits Amazon as an example, this is meant to alleviate those conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Here’s a radical idea, what if government retained some kind of capability for policy analysis and development within the public service :aaaaa: