Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Al! posted:

lmao kitchen islands are the worst if you actually intend to use your kitchen

Why's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's a defensive fortification. The enemy tries to bust down your door you poo poo on their heads

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Troutful posted:

Why's that?

Counter space is good, but effectively putting more distance between the sink/stove/fridge is pretty bad. You also need a lot of space on all sides, and there are so many houses out there where someone shoehorned an island in and completely ruined the kitchen's functionality because there wasn't enough space. You kind of need them in open floorplans, but that's only because open floorplans suck and require a lot of compromises.

I don't think they're the worst, but they're a net negative in a lot of kitchens because most people don't have kitchens big enough to support them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

don't forget about saloon doors

lol this triggered weird memories for me. my grandmas house that they built in like early 80s had this between the entry hall and the kitchen. i always thought it was weird but didn't understand that it's actually really weird. i think they took em out around mid 2000s.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
any "door" sequestering the kitchen from the living space is a net good

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Al! posted:

my neighbor who otherwise tends to have good design insights felt she just had to have an island. So the island is now between the appliances and the table. Also she didn't really have enough space for it, so now the table is only about two feet from the island (you always want at least 36" of clearance). so if anyone wants to get by, the person sitting down has to get up and walk to another area first lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i mean look at this poo poo. that island shouldn't even be there by itself, let alone stools? you can't even open the fridge without it hitting those

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Al! posted:

they work if you have a massive kitchen, but that's only if the island is not too big. The new style is massive single island and they aren't very useful unless you're building a lego city

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

forbes actually right about something

https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/kitchen/standard-kitchen-island-size-guide/

quote:

The first step in planning your kitchen island is determining the size. The minimum recommended size of an island is 2-by-4 feet. However, the island’s total area should be at most 10% of the kitchen area.

For example, if the kitchen is 150 square feet, the island should be at most 15 square feet.

You’ll want to make sure people can easily walk around the island. The industry standard is to include 36 to-42 inches of walking space around the island. This space also ensures cabinet and appliance doors won’t hit the island.

However, you must remember that the spacing behind any seating needs to be bigger. For the most part, 44 inches is enough space to allow someone to walk behind a seated person without needing to squeeze by.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

actionjackson posted:

i mean look at this poo poo. that island shouldn't even be there by itself, let alone stools? you can't even open the fridge without it hitting those

An island layout like this is so loving pointless. You're literally putting a massive obstacle between the fridge and the rest of the important appliances, leaving yourself no room to walk around, and you're gaining absolutely nothing. There's already a ton of usable counter space without the island.

Like, why would you actually want to sit down at that island? What's the point of those stools? It arguably makes sense in a very large kitchen or an open floorplan where the island might be a reasonable place to sit down for breakfast, but why would you ever want to jam yourself into that tiny area next to the fridge when there's almost certainly somewhere better to sit down and drink a cup of coffee in the morning.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

islands are another one of those things some folks just must have, but much dumber and less functional than the second bathroom.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I would simply keep my island in my second bathroom. Would probably count as a 1.5 bath by itself, if my understanding of real estate math is correct

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

toilet island

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

toilet island

I had a friend in high school whose family had an RV that had a toilet in the shower

Not sure why this never took off

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I had a friend in high school whose family had an RV that had a toilet in the shower

Not sure why this never took off

That's most RVs/travel trailers, for a long, long time now. When you get into 6 figure class As, they start coming separated.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what if all my counterspace is covered in crap and there's no space left for cooking? I need the island! (to put more crap on)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Homes need to be cheaper because the only solution when you've filled your kitchen with crap is to sell your house and buy one with a kitchen that you haven't yet filled with crap.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's a housing crisis. A crisis of poor taste in interior decorating.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like islands with the oven and stove in them, I think that's cool. I personally have a weird L shaped galley kitchen which is good for just me cooking and has decent motion economy but it feels real crowded with more than one person in there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Paradoxish posted:

An island layout like this is so loving pointless. You're literally putting a massive obstacle between the fridge and the rest of the important appliances, leaving yourself no room to walk around, and you're gaining absolutely nothing. There's already a ton of usable counter space without the island.

Like, why would you actually want to sit down at that island? What's the point of those stools? It arguably makes sense in a very large kitchen or an open floorplan where the island might be a reasonable place to sit down for breakfast, but why would you ever want to jam yourself into that tiny area next to the fridge when there's almost certainly somewhere better to sit down and drink a cup of coffee in the morning.

the stools are so that you can slam your kneecaps right into the cabinet underneath when you try to scooch close enough to get to your plate.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the stools are so that you can slam your kneecaps right into the cabinet underneath when you try to scooch close enough to get to your plate.

god i loving hate island stools so much gently caress what a dumb loving concept

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

you could have had a table in your kitchen but instead you chose... the way of pain

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Islands are primarily gathering spaces in kitchens like that, a place to put your drinks and arrange food and not much else

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Just remembered my goonish friend who inherited the house when his mother died but instead of moving out of the basement he just rents out the first floor.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what about DOUBLE ISLANDS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actionjackson posted:

what about DOUBLE ISLANDS

And three of those stupid looking led chandeliers

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
housing pls

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

And three of those stupid looking led chandeliers

i don't mind linear lighting for long countertops, but why are there three little ones instead of one longer one (if you are going to do that)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PyPy posted:

housing pls

You can sublet an island

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

actionjackson posted:

i don't mind linear lighting for long countertops, but why are there three little ones instead of one longer one (if you are going to do that)

Because the three little ones are off-the-shelf from Amazon, while the one longer one is a custom job that would blow your flip's budget

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Islands are primarily gathering spaces in kitchens like that, a place to put your drinks and arrange food and not much else

The point is that it's way too small to be a gathering space, there's basically no way to use an island like that in a kitchen that size without it being crowded or awkward.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nothus posted:

Because the three little ones are off-the-shelf from Amazon, while the one longer one is a custom job that would blow your flip's budget

yes tho that seems awfully big to be a flip, prob just some rich white ppl, we got plenty of those in the western suburbs

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

PyPy posted:

housing pls

You haven’t created enough value. Back into the mines with you.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MickeyFinn posted:

You haven’t created enough value. Back into the mines with you.

drats

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

downturns over

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

capitalism and housing; two great tastes that taste great together

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Yeah, rents around me have started increasing again

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rents never stopped going up around here, the standard house in this neighborhood is a 3br/1ba ~1400sf house built 1900-1930 or so and those are up over $1700/mo now. Standard pre-pandemic was maybe $1200 a month if the place was remodeled.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Rents never stopped going up around here, the standard house in this neighborhood is a 3br/1ba ~1400sf house built 1900-1930 or so and those are up over $1700/mo now. Standard pre-pandemic was maybe $1200 a month if the place was remodeled.

The only time I have seen rents stop going up (not go down) was the first few months of the pandemic. About 6 months ago I saw a UC Davis law professor who was aghast that his survey found that most Californians do not believe that a sudden 10% increase in units will cause rents to drop. I’m not sure what scenario could be posted to make me think rents would go down short of executing landlords for not lowering the rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Did anyone ever claim rents were going down? I thought it was just a slowing rate of increase, same as nearly every other kind of inflation other than gas prices.