Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just finished the episode.

... That kind of worked for an hour episode? I'd prefer a few more mintues but at least they got everything essential in.

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but there’s still no way you can convince me that they knew the episodes were going to be an hour long before they tried this

This might be the first time I ever felt sympathy for the editing team of any reality show ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I thought the Rosie was really bad and not funny at all.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The length absolutely did not work. There's no time to build up any sort of narrative. Every episode from here on out is gonna be 5 minutes post-lip sync, 5 minutes introducing the challenge (skipping the mini), 5 minutes of werkroom, 5 minutes of one queen's sob story, 5 minutes main challenge, 5 minutes shortened runway, 5 minutes judging, 5 minutes winner/lip sync/elimination. This sucks.

I hope they eventually release the proper cut, but the damage is done.

Irene's probably gonna end up having more screen time than the rest of the first 6 eliminated queens.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Luxx is absolutely drenched in Delusion (convince yourself), and I'm kind of living for it.

Her declaring herself high safe in Untucked, I disagree with, but I love that for her.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

helsabot posted:

"im going to do a youtuber" maybe don't,

The only youtubers I can see going well on Snatch Game are like. Jenna Marbles and James Charles. They have really Specific Brands with enough catchphrases that you can fall back on SOMETHING if you get stuck, and gay people know who they are.

Or Arin Hanson if you're going for a Michelle play.

(I haven't seen the episode and I won't until Monday no more replies from me)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Andrew_1985 posted:

Well after the intro, walkthroughs and prep, they’ll start snatch game.

From there we’ll intro the guest stars and RuPaul’s puns. They get one question and then onto the next round.

Trauma dump in the werkroom, say hello to the ‘hilarious’ Ross Matthews and start a 1.25x speed runway. After no deliberation two queens who flubbed their one opportunity do a quick lipsynch. We see a displeased Ru face so we know who is going home.
Shantay, Sashay, Flubbed catchphrase and lipstick message.

Then ‘If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody who else? Can I get an amen? Let the music play!’

Some camera mugging and NEXT TIME you have to design a couture look using unconventional materials found at a nursing home.

Its pretty funny how accurate this was except it was carson not ross

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Production pounced on the first chance they could to get rid of one of the twins cause Aura definitely shoulda been dancing. Really funny that the twins sabotaged the concept of LSFYL by doing a choreographed number though.

I feel bad for Robin Fierce though. The short episodes aren't helping but she radiates so much filler queen energy because I have no idea who she is aside from Not Being Terrible.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So is the new drag race good?

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I wonder how many youngins googled “Tan Mom” after this episode? What a discovery.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

So is the new drag race good?

We're only 3 episodes in, so it's hard to tell. It mostly seems like a talented cast. The first episode was 2 hours with the first 30 minutes introducing half the cast, the next 30 minutes introducing the other half of the cast, and then the final hour with them integrated.

We had the largest snatch game ever with 14 queens last night, split into two groups. It was decent, not the worst they've ever had.

But the rest of the season is going to hindered by the fact that MTV is forcing them to keep each episode to only 42 minutes because they're forcing The Real Friends of WeHo on us, whose biggest crime is being boring. Absolutely nobody asked for a reality show focused on Todrick Grifter Hall.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Jaxs mona lisa was good and i liked amethysts tan mom and we didnt even see them in the top and lucy nailed joan rivers so i think we can say it was a successful snatch game. Even sugar was kind of funny in how bad she was. The cut down runways are absolutely the worst part about the big cast and truncated run time but hopefully that phases itself out as the cast thins. I didnt even realise sasha was doing the televangelist in the top row of group 2 cause she barely got an answer in and didnt seem great but tbh if she wasnt top im happy to just have her ignored for snatch game. Having the pit crew as the contestants is cute, have they done that before?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I never felt older or more out of touch than not knowing who Trisha Petras was. My wife knew who she was and kept listing thing after thing and I still had no clue.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Noise Machine posted:

I never felt older or more out of touch than not knowing who Trisha Petras was. My wife knew who she was and kept listing thing after thing and I still had no clue.

To be fair, I didn't know and STILL don't know who Bretman Rock or Saucy Santana are, I just assumed Karen Huger was a Real Housewife of Something or Other, and I didn't know Jan Crouch either.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Pan Dulce posted:

To be fair, I didn't know and STILL don't know who Bretman Rock or Saucy Santana are, I just assumed Karen Huger was a Real Housewife of Something or Other, and I didn't know Jan Crouch either.

It's alright Michelle knows them all and is an expert on every one of them.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

Karen Huger is on the Real Housewives of Potomac, now in its 7th season and arguably the best housewives franchise out there these days. She's been on since the first season, and is actually a great choice for drag race, she's calls herself the Grand Dame of Potomac, but probably doesn't actually live in Potomac, and might not actually have a whole lot of money (she apparently rents a house for filming, and lives in an apartment by herself without her husband between seasons). She claims to have an epic love story with her husband, but apparently has a man on the side nicknamed Blue Eyes. She claims to be all about class and etiquette, but begins nervously adjusting her wig whenever she's caught in a lie. She thinks of herself as the hero of the franchise, but she would actually be more of a villain if she wasn't so delusional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBILLiLuIuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5B1wI_Bb4g

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Yeah Karen Huger is a great, great choice. Real Housewives is a super guilty pleasure of mine and Robin was pretty lackluster. She could have at least adjusted her wig or brought up her husband. Joslyn Fox's Teresa Guidice is still the top tier Real Housewife of blank on Snatch Game and Jackie's Lisa Rinna was pretty low key but very good too. The Real Housewife ladies are already charactures of themselves on screen so they make good Snatch Game options for queens who are fans and for ones who are aiming for safe.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The only good snatch game choices are people who would have appeared on Hollywood Squares in the 90s or earlier

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Normy posted:

It's alright Michelle knows them all and is an expert on every one of them.

I swear, between all her Ru-given gigs and British reality TV she's on, where does she get the time to see all these tv/film/YouTube/TikTok celebs and their work?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just watched the Untucked and it's insane to me all the online hate Sugar and Spice are getting. Can't believe RPDR is making me circle the wagons around the TikTok zoomer queens.

Related, the real trying too hard TikTok baby is Luxe, whew

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
This is a SHOCKINGLY good Tim Gunn and a not-so-shockingly bad Virgin Mary.
I didn't think we'd get the obligatory Twins Lipsync so early and I'm relieved it's not a double save.

I recently got into horror movies so I really appreciated Loosey's Jason outfit but she needed to be a LOT wetter. Dunk yourself in a bucket of slop before stepping onstage with that hockey mask.

Pan Dulce posted:

I swear, between all her Ru-given gigs and British reality TV she's on, where does she get the time to see all these tv/film/YouTube/TikTok celebs and their work?

I bet you $20 she's texting her daughter when the cameras are off and asking for quick rundowns of all the internet people. She does at least seem to have an awareness of G-list internet celebs though, given she once appeared on an episode of Game Grumps.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

curiousTerminal posted:

I recently got into horror movies so I really appreciated Loosey's Jason outfit but she needed to be a LOT wetter. Dunk yourself in a bucket of slop before stepping onstage with that hockey mask.

I was thinking of the Boulet Brothers the entire time this runway was going on

RuPaul: “We have Dragula at home”

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I haven't watched untucked yet but I knew Sugar and Spice were going to have to lipsych together against each other and OMG I loved the lip synch, sorry Sugar you both did an amazing lip synch together.

E: okay that was really sad listening to their family problems and making me cry listening to it. I have my own (not from being gay) just the suicides, so I don't like to talk about my biological family much.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2023

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
sorry for the double post but Jinkx Monsoon on the Seth Myers late night show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBV6hD44hbs

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 23, 2023

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I’m glad this inevitable Sugar and Spice lip sync happened early so we can get confessionals from other drag queens from now on. It feels like the entire show so far has been centered on Sugar.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have been playing an old pc game "Insaniquarium" and I named one of the fishies Estittites. Just that name makes me giggle a lot

E: I noticed I have a fish named gin - so I have to get another named tonic.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
If she doesn’t have a sign on her chest saying Estitties, is it even her?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
George Santos and Trixie Mattel are going at each other on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Santos4Congress/status/1617711083078451200

What is this timeline we're living in?

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
He is clearly a drag queen if he can throw shade like that

baronmasochist
Jan 17, 2004

colors

Ironic Twist posted:

Does Lemon doing JoJo Siwa on DR: Canada count

Thank you for reminding me of all the giggles I got from I can't pwonounce my awhrs

The main problem with Internet/YouTube celebrities on Snatch Game is that the queens lean so hard on being accurate that they forget to be funny. Accurate doesn't work if the judges don't know the celebrity. Sometimes accuracy isn't even necessary if it's funny in a way that Ru appreciates - Jujubee's Cher on UKvTW for instance.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

George Santos and Trixie Mattel are going at each other on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Santos4Congress/status/1617711083078451200

What is this timeline we're living in?

You know, this could have been progressive and revolutionary and HUGE, a drag queen politician in congress. Instead, it's this rear end in a top hat who lies about it before finally admitting it while forswearing all of what drag stands for.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It’s legitimately funny that a random Brazilian queen was so dedicated to keeping receipts that she basically scalped a US congressman. Like, Whitney would be proud.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'd say "I can't wait for next year's Snatch Game," but after Meatball's take we're done here. :allears:

https://twitter.com/fatdragmeatball/status/1617316550029234176

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

But the rest of the season is going to hindered by the fact that MTV is forcing them to keep each episode to only 42 minutes because they're forcing The Real Friends of WeHo on us, whose biggest crime is being boring. Absolutely nobody asked for a reality show focused on Todrick Grifter Hall.

No one gets anywhere in LA without connections and Todrick has kept appearing just adjacent to RuPaul for so many years - he was at this season’s premier for Ru’s sake - that I’m pretty certain he has the ear and favor of someone high up at WOW and/or RuPaul himself. So while it sucks for us it does make for a certain delicious irony that his biggest most legit ever media debut comes at the expense of Ru/WOW’s biggest and most successful product while he continues to be utterly unliked by the actual public. It’s what they (and MTV) deserve for enabling him to grift upwards as long as he has without any real consequences for his actions.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/callmespice_/status/1618382798599118848

Honestly, she was the most memorable part of the Snatch Game. I know Loosey's impression was spot on and funny, but I can barely recall any specific jokes. Spice's performance will stay iconic in the same vein as Laganja's stand-up, Farrah's roast, and of course Alyssa's "Ru, never".

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I regret watching all of ep1 of real friends of weho, in service of “how bad could it really be”. Apparently it had 2x less views than Untucked that came after it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

luminalflux posted:

I regret watching all of ep1 of real friends of weho, in service of “how bad could it really be”. Apparently it had 2x less views than Untucked that came after it.

It's worst crime is that it's boring. The guys barely know each other. These types of shows are always better when there is already an established relationship between the cast, and the drama is real. It's why the industry standard for this type of show is Bravo, they know what they're doing. Apparently in the industry, having worked at Bravo is seen as a major bonus on your resume. MTV is trying to imitate a Bravo show here, and they're not succeeding. Even when there was an argument at the end of the episode, it felt so forced and overproduced.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
No, no, but see, if you ask Todrick, you're obligated to enjoy the new show if you're LGBT+ or else you hate your own community and don't want gays to succeed! :jerkoff:

"Why do we only want to see queer suffering?" We don't! We just don't want to see YOU, dude.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

No, no, but see, if you ask Todrick, you're obligated to enjoy the new show if you're LGBT+ or else you hate your own community and don't want gays to succeed! :jerkoff:

"Why do we only want to see queer suffering?" We don't! We just don't want to see YOU, dude.

I think there are a few elements involving the disconnect.

We don't only want to see queer suffering. A lot of the backlash is because this show is actively taking away from a show that people that is 99% gay that people actually do want to see. We love to see the fun, the conflict, the creativity, all of that wonderful queer stuff.

Gay people have also been wildly popular on other reality tv shows, like Project Runway, Top Chef, and Survivor.

The problem is that with shows like The Real Friends of WeHo, The A List, Fire Island, Boy Meets Boy, etc is multifold.

One, they try and do a direct adaptation of largely straight properties with little change to make it relate to queer audiences. There have been multiple attempts at trying to do gay version of The Bachelor, and they don't work because the contestants are just as if not more interested in each other than the main suitor. I think the closest to acknowledge that problem was that MTV show where everybody was bi, although I never actually watched it.

Then these shows that are direct rip-offs of The Real Housewives franchise, they insult the intelligence of the audience. First, they think that people will just watch the show for hot people, and usually try and cast the kind of obscenely hot guys that just make the audience feel insecure and only remind them of some of the more toxic elements of the community. For diversity sake, they might cast one kind of chubby person as the token bear. We also have very easy access to hot men right at our fingertips. We're not going watch a TV show just because the guys are hot.

And I addressed it a little earlier, but the relationships and drama in these shows feel so inauthentic. A lot of us are seasoned reality tv watchers, and we can spot an overly produced moment a mile away. It's the kind of thing that happens when they cast people because they're hot, or because they have some name recognition, but without real relationships.

Looking to The Real Housewives, some of the best seasons were when the stakes were real with actual relationships. The early seasons of Beverly Hills between the Richards sisters, mostly Kim dealing with the fallout of an ugly childhood in Hollywood, and her present substance abuse. New York always worked well because most of the ladies were actual friends off the show, and could have a real heated argument, and then go out for drinks off camera once their tempers had calmed. The early seasons of New Jersey with all the Manzo, Giudice, and Gorga family drama, since pretty much everybody was actually related to somebody in the cast. Compared now to a show like Salt Lake City where it's clear that none of the ladies actually like each other, and it made this past season such a slog to get through.

If they want a gay docu-style reality show to work, they're going to have to cast real people with real relationships. Summer House would be a good show to model it on, the first few seasons at least. It featured an established group of friends who had been summering together in the Hamptoms for many years, and the show was developed around them. It even featured one gay guy who was a lot of fun to watch at first.

But shows like The Real Friends of WeHo, I don't even remember what that fight at the end of the first episode was about because none of it mattered as it was only for the cameras. The show just felt like a corporation saying, here's your gay content, now watch it and shut the gently caress up. In choosing to cast for name recognition, I think most people are okay with Brad Gorevski, but aren't really interested in watching him beyond judging on Canada, or the occasional red carpet. Nobody likes Todrick Hall. And nobody knows who these other guys are, or why we should care about them. They just failed on every element of the show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

And on top of all that, I expect that the scheduling decisions was all MTV. MTV totally missed the point, had they kept Drag Race at 90 minutes there would have been many less complaints if WeHo was between DR and Untucked. I still wouldn't have watched it, but now I REALLY won't watch WeHo.

e: In better news, here's Drag Race Belgium!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DIqBIH-Hj0

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Not to mention that apparently, a former castmate (Chris Salvatore) was apparently dropped from the Weho show because production/the rest of the cast was upset that he has an OnlyFans? Which is just the most :decorum: bullshit.

Nihonniboku posted:

I think the closest to acknowledge that problem was that MTV show where everybody was bi, although I never actually watched it.

Okay, as a :sueme: I feel like I'm obligated to find this show, although I have a feeling it's probably gonna be a bit :stare: as well, depending on when it came out.

Nihonniboku posted:

For diversity sake, they might cast one kind of chubby person as the token bear.

I'm still waiting for a member of the Pit Crew that's like, capital B Bear. :smith:

Nihonniboku posted:

Looking to The Real Housewives, some of the best seasons were when the stakes were real with actual relationships.

I'm re-watching early seasons of Housewives: Atlanta with my partner (he's a straight dude so he's newer to the reality show thing, but he absolutely loves them now, "it's trash, but it's fun trash") and we just saw the fight where Nene is hollering about how she's gonna pop Kim's eyeballs out of her head, :lmao: The good poo poo!