Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've really been enjoying Return to Abyss, it's got an incredibly deep weapon modification system even before you get to weapon evolutions, and all of the pure-color evolutions all dramatically change how a weapon behaves. There's so much of a sense of discovery and experimentation when customizing weapons and combining mods with evolutions that I'm honestly kind of overwhelmed by how fun it is.

It's got a mostly positive reception but you can see the occasional negative review from someone who played less than two hours, got mixed up by their first weapon evolution, then wrote a thousand words about how it "misses what makes vampire survivors great"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Morter posted:

Lost Judgment (2021)

Tony Lazuto says hello.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Rain World update seems interesting, though I'd heard the recent update erased some people's save files. I was in the middle of my first run myself, so I went to check up on it. Seems it's still intact, but worth spreading the word just in case.

I want to like Rain World a little more than I actually do, but the same things that are neat about it can sometimes make it hard to love. Enemy randomization in the more linear stretches has not been particularly kind to me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bad Seafood posted:

The Rain World update seems interesting, though I'd heard the recent update erased some people's save files. I was in the middle of my first run myself, so I went to check up on it. Seems it's still intact, but worth spreading the word just in case.

I want to like Rain World a little more than I actually do, but the same things that are neat about it can sometimes make it hard to love. Enemy randomization in the more linear stretches has not been particularly kind to me.

I believe they fixed the "nuking old saves" bug in a day 1 patch for the DLC, for what's worth.

Honestly, Rain World is the game that has scratched the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. itch the best of games released in the last decade, such an amazing package, but it really requires the right attitude for it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, as a piece of art and tech, Rain World is super impressive. I'm glad it exists and I'm happy to have patronized its creators with my money. When you're playing though, trying to navigate the Exterior, and emergent enemy behavior and semi-randomized placement keeps congregating five invisible lizards right next to the single drainpipe you need to access, on the other side of which is a giant jelly spider thing that nabs you immediately, I start to lose patience with it as a "Game."

In the parts of the game where it's open and non-linear, it works like a charm. Whenever it funnels you somewhere, however, it gets a bit dicey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Gripper posted:

Tony Lazuto says hello.

He's taken out 5 Tojo Clan Chairmen like this....

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harvestella doesn't get enough love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwFYXPFeuWk&t=2970s

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, as a piece of art and tech, Rain World is super impressive. I'm glad it exists and I'm happy to have patronized its creators with my money. When you're playing though, trying to navigate the Exterior, and emergent enemy behavior and semi-randomized placement keeps congregating five invisible lizards right next to the single drainpipe you need to access, on the other side of which is a giant jelly spider thing that nabs you immediately, I start to lose patience with it as a "Game."

In the parts of the game where it's open and non-linear, it works like a charm. Whenever it funnels you somewhere, however, it gets a bit dicey.

My favorite part of rain world besides the uncomfortable controls and infuriating swimming was the fact that you can go left or you can go right, except going left secretly traps you in hell and you're apparently a moron for going that way even though you chose it because the game randomly spawned all the enemies on the right while left was easy to reach.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Rain World is great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn't follow it that closely so I don't know if this should be much of a surprise, but The Division seems quite good. The premise notwithstanding (and it's a bit hard to ignore when you're constantly ordered to shoot on "rioters"), I really like it so far.

The shooting feels great and the presentation is slick. And they did a really good job with the city. I'm not sure how to describe it but it both feels tightly designed and wide open like a real city (though it's not exactly; you usually need to take specific entryways to access mission areas).

It's been surprisingly tactical. It's the first shooter in a while where I'm consistently blind firing from cover (and feeling good about it).

And though it's been surpassed graphically, it still looks good. And there are a poo poo ton of art assets.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I didn't follow it that closely so I don't know if this should be much of a surprise, but The Division seems quite good. The premise notwithstanding (and it's a bit hard to ignore when you're constantly ordered to shoot on "rioters"), I really like it so far.

The shooting feels great and the presentation is slick. And they did a really good job with the city. I'm not sure how to describe it but it both feels tightly designed and wide open like a real city (though it's not exactly; you usually need to take specific entryways to access mission areas).

It's been surprisingly tactical. It's the first shooter in a while where I'm consistently blind firing from cover (and feeling good about it).

And though it's been surpassed graphically, it still looks good. And there are a poo poo ton of art assets.

Highly recommend you give Survival mode a try.

Really should've been expanded on, either within Division 1/2 or a separate game altogether.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Bad Seafood posted:

I've played through most of the game three times, this being my fourth go, and for the first time the other night I got absolutely owned by lizards/vultures/scavengers down to zero karma at the Industrial Complex/Shaded Citadel gate that requires full karma. It took me maybe four hours and 30 deaths to get back to start of the Outskirts/Industrial gate and farm up karma and karma flowers to actually push on. The new enemy variation and randomness (at least I assume something there has been tweaked since I never had such a rough go in the past) kept it pretty interesting but drat did that suck. The best recommendation I can give to avoid situations like this where backtracking becomes a grind is to get The Survivor passage achievement as early as possible followed by The Saint and The Monk (easy to get both by bouncing between the Shaded Citadel and Shoreline junction) but your p much SOL when this happens while pushing forward--aka The motherfucking Exterior.

To be fair, the game has a ton of movement mechanics that can allow you to absolutely clown on most predators, and the new tutorial screens really help with that, but the controls just aren't responsive enough to make most of them feasible, especially when the ground is covered in bumpy geometry. Still, the game is the closest thing to that dark souls style risk/reward and adrenaline/dopamine feedback loop (better than souls games imo) so the attrition is kind of a necessary evil.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

^^ (ed) Oh hey, :same:

Bad Seafood posted:

This is the situation I'm in right now. Damned advisor guide fucker led me through the part of the Industrial Complex that leads to the Shaded Citadel before I realized I was on the hard route, and trying to get back to wherever I got off-track has been... well, now I'm better at fighting lizards, annoyed with scavs (& they me), piss-scared of vultures, and no closer to getting back :smith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 22, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol I remember on my first playthrough I went west and down into the water area and holy poo poo, was that hell. I've never loved a game that pissed me off so much before or since.

And yeah, I have to admire the ~auteur~ approach to the controls. They can feel awkward at first, but once you learn enough movement tricks you're like a goddam slug god. High level play in RW is downright insane.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The sequel improves some things that were desperately needed in the first but the original still has plenty going for it, from a better DZ to much less intensive “raids” in the end game. Also Survival mode if you bought the DLC. I actually reinstalled it recently to play that Survival mode again and it’s still fun no matter how many people are in the game with you, even 0 other people.

If you’re still interested when you reach the end game and want to try one of the raids or the legendary difficultly on some of the missions with slightly less matchmaking let me know and I can break out on of my old characters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks. The season pass is $5 atm (on Ubi’s store), might pick it up.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

treat posted:

I've played through most of the game three times, this being my fourth go, and for the first time the other night I got absolutely owned by lizards/vultures/scavengers down to zero karma at the Industrial Complex/Shaded Citadel gate that requires full karma. It took me maybe four hours and 30 deaths to get back to start of the Outskirts/Industrial gate and farm up karma and karma flowers to actually push on. The new enemy variation and randomness (at least I assume something there has been tweaked since I never had such a rough go in the past) kept it pretty interesting but drat did that suck. The best recommendation I can give to avoid situations like this where backtracking becomes a grind is to get The Survivor passage achievement as early as possible followed by The Saint and The Monk (easy to get both by bouncing between the Shaded Citadel and Shoreline junction) but your p much SOL when this happens while pushing forward--aka The motherfucking Exterior.

To be fair, the game has a ton of movement mechanics that can allow you to absolutely clown on most predators, and the new tutorial screens really help with that, but the controls just aren't responsive enough to make most of them feasible, especially when the ground is covered in bumpy geometry. Still, the game is the closest thing to that dark souls style risk/reward and adrenaline/dopamine feedback loop (better than souls games imo) so the attrition is kind of a necessary evil.

If I just got to the Industrial Complex, is there a direction I should avoid going if I don't want the hard route just yet? I had a hard enough time getting there as is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i think it'd be legit faster for me to get back to that junction by simply starting over lmao

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Sailor Dave posted:

If I just got to the Industrial Complex, is there a direction I should avoid going if I don't want the hard route just yet? I had a hard enough time getting there as is.

From what I hear the intended route sort of is the hard route--it's where the yellow overseer thing guides you and it's the only route I've taken at the start of the game apart from the one time I got hopelessly lost in Garbage Wastes--but the increase in difficulty is rather gradual as you move from one zone to the next, and each one teaches you a bunch of the mechanics you'll need to exploit throughout the game. It gets hard, particularly in The Exterior like I said, but it lets up after you reach Five Pebbles and by that point you're skilled and poised enough to explore more freely, plus you'll have seen a lot of the surrounding landscapes and can piece the map together better to avoid getting lost. I'd argue that ignoring the overseer and getting lost as gently caress is the hard route, because without that little dude's guidance the early game is super unforgiving since he leads you toward food, safe spots, story beats, and characters who will help you make sense of the world and direct you toward your ultimate goal.

Alternatively, you can be an absolute dickhead to the first character you meet and gain a whole new but less reliable method of directing you toward where you should go that will give you more freedom to explore wherever you want. There are a lot of ways to play the game and explore the world, and they're all unforgiving as gently caress so :shrug:

tl;dr go right

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sailor Dave posted:

There are three ways you can go (aside from returning to the starting zone). The exit you want is at the bottom of the area. If you travel straight to the right you end up here:

Ciaphas posted:

^^ (ed) Oh hey, :same:

This is the situation I'm in right now. Damned advisor guide fucker led me through the part of the Industrial Complex that leads to the Shaded Citadel before I realized I was on the hard route, and trying to get back to wherever I got off-track has been... well, now I'm better at fighting lizards, annoyed with scavs (& they me), piss-scared of vultures, and no closer to getting back :smith:

And if you take the exit at the top of the area you're in for a different kind of pain.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

treat posted:

My first time through I went from the Outskirts through to the Industrial Complex, where I almost had to reset when a lizard ended up following me into the safe room during a rainstorm (and would subsequently try to kill me - and succeed - at the start of every cycle for like 10 cycles). From there I hit the Shaded Citadel from what was apparently the back door (since the guy who lets you buy a lantern was at the opposite end), and tackled the whole thing in the dark (save for those brief periods I could find and capture a lantern mouse). After that was the Shoreline, which proved a bit tricky but I eventually progressed. Despite the sometimes punishing difficulty, I actually found it pretty enjoyable. I'd heard about the game through Matthew Matosis' video, who discusses its difficulty but also its intentions to create a believable, living ecosystem in which you are both predator and prey, so I was prepared for a little finagling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Un2L5tF1w

It was only once the little guy lead me up to tackle the Exterior my patience started grinding down. The game does give you a lot of options to fight and flee, and so long as there are seemingly at least two routes to take, you have some wiggle room to proceed. There are sections of the Exterior though, the Leg and the Underhang, where there's basically only one way forward, and when the enemy's pathing bunches several of them up in front of an important junction, trying to get past them becomes a chore. "No worries though," I thought, the first time I died: this game seems to shake up enemy placements every cycle. Let's try again. I just got unlucky.

Then I got unlucky again. And again. And again. And again. And again and again. These lizards just had nothing better to do than ALWAYS crowd around one side of a few specific bottlenecks. The Leg in particular has a lot of choke points between two safe rooms such that even if one of them opens up, there's always the others. Eventually I got past it, after several days, but by that point I was a bit put out and set the game aside for a little bit. And because it's all random, emergent behavior, I don't even know if anyone else had this happen to them. I always expect (and sometimes get), "What are you talking about, climbing the Leg was easy."

I'm currently running around the Chimney Canopy, having gained new insight regarding the world. The game's good again, but man, the Exterior nearly rung my interest out. It's the one thing I warn people about when they ask me if they should play it. When you have the freedom to choose a direction, the game is at its best. The more your options narrow, the more frustrating it becomes.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Rain World is an extremely ambitious art piece (?) that's also really unfun to play. I like looking at it or reading about it but have zero intention of going through it at any point.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

treat posted:

Unfortunately that was never changed as far as I know. I died mostly because of clunky movement behaviour/hard to see traversal options and a lot less because of the actual predators or rain timer. Like the choice of putting "let go immediately" just on downward movement from analog stick instead of a button...

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I was using a keyboard initially, but I've been getting around a lot of the clunky movement issues so far by using a steam controller, since it lets you set up complicated bindings with fancy timings and I don't have the physical dexterity to do these things with a keyboard or controller normally. I've got the slide + leap bound to my paddles, backflip bound to the shoulder buttons, and a crouch + drop + stand bound to Y as a quick 'let go' button. Autohotkey would let you do all the same stuff on keyboard and mouse if you wanted.

I don't want to trivialize the movement too much, but it's made getting around a lot more pleasant.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao @ putting your 70€ game on a 50% sale less than 2 months after release.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i wanted to like rain world but the weird controls didn't mesh with me at all and it's obtuse and hostile enough without that

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been very curious what everyone was talking about with Rain World's controls so I looked up the wiki and https://rainworld.miraheze.org/wiki/Controls :psyduck:

It has 4 movement directions + 3 buttons. This wiki page and its subpages feature instructional gifs of about 70 different contextual actions you can perform by using combinations of those same 3 buttons + 4 arrows. It looks like it'd be fun and fluid after figuring them all out but noooo thanks :effort:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao @ putting your 70€ game on a 50% sale less than 2 months after release.

Trying the free trial on EA and having the PS4/5 contoller controls be jumbled like someone picked them at random immediately soured me on the game, even if the aesthetics looked cool as hell. How does that even happen? It's an arcade driving game, nearly everyone playing it will use one of two controllers, how is that not one of the first things nailed down?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been very curious what everyone was talking about with Rain World's controls so I looked up the wiki and https://rainworld.miraheze.org/wiki/Controls :psyduck:

It has 4 movement directions + 3 buttons. This wiki page and its subpages feature instructional gifs of about 70 different contextual actions you can perform by using combinations of those same 3 buttons + 4 arrows. It looks like it'd be fun and fluid after figuring them all out but noooo thanks :effort:

90% of the stuff on the wiki is not actually baked in controls but are just emergent 'tricks' players figured out since the movement is all physics-based
the basic controls are just "you can jump, walljump, charge up a longjump, and climb up poles and short ledges"
being able to pull of tricks like backflipping is a big deal since you can use it to do stuff like turn a straight run into a backflip to suddenly end up behind a hungry alligator that was chasing you and get away (or throw a spear downwards while you're midair backflipping over it) but none of that stuff is actually required to beat the game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Trying the free trial on EA and having the PS4/5 contoller controls be jumbled like someone picked them at random immediately soured me on the game, even if the aesthetics looked cool as hell. How does that even happen? It's an arcade driving game, nearly everyone playing it will use one of two controllers, how is that not one of the first things nailed down?

I tried it on the free trial and while the gameplay seemed...okay, the performance was god awful. I couldn't not get stable 60fps no matter what.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am going to say that Rain World is a legit fun game. It has a very obtuse learning phase and like others here I almost called it quits on the Exterior, but then I looked up on Youtube the following area and was like "holy poo poo, I have to check that out" and by that time I had crossed that point I was good enough at the game that I brought extra thingmajigs to Looks-to-the-Moon on my way down, which is literally playing the game with both hands tied behind your back, and it wasn't that difficult of a time. There really isn't any game that has quite scratched the ecological exploration bug in my brain to the same degree and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Subnautica are the only other ones I've played that have really done it for this particular itch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morter posted:

Any thoughts on Roboquest? Even though i'm not a fan of roguelikes, it looks polished and fun compared to the other roguelike shooters I've picked up and dropped in my library.

I've beat runs of it before (and even had metaprogression maxed out earlier in EA when there wasn't much to it) but they are disgustingly long and I start hating playing it like halfway through the first area (of... 5? that get much longer as you go?)

It's just like the most generic-feeling game imaginable to me, I suppose.

e: People on the Steam forums say a run takes about 45 minutes but in my experience it feels more like a 3-4 hour slog that takes place over 45 minutes. But TBF I have that problem with other FPS roguelites, every time I get to the snow level in Gunfire Reborn I groan and alt-f4 despite really enjoying that game for the first ~20-30 mins of a session.

Grain of salt, since despite owning the game I've only been scoping out streams as I wait for it to get out of early access. But the vibe I get is that there's a very specific power curve you have to get on, probably related to keeping weapons leveled (or being willing to pick up new weapons frequently) since that's usually the difference I see between newbies slowly plinking away and experts rampaging through runs. Though even then there's still a bit of a pacing snag going from the more linear levels to the open ones.

To me the big distinction between Gunfire Reborn and Roboquest is that the former captures the Isaac style "assemble these random ingredients to break the game" feast or famine build thing, while the latter often comes off as more of an old school FPS with a thin layer of roguelike stuff layered on top. You can still assemble some kooky stuff in RQ but builds seem much more measured and ultimately you gotta be dialed into the shooting much more. Closest thing I can think to compare it to is Doom 2016, where you're always getting a bit stronger with each upgrade but no single one completely upends the difficulty curve or radically shifts your focus away from rip and tear.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

First time I beat the game I didn't know about any of these. They're fun to do but you definitely don't need them.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

The sequel improves some things that were desperately needed in the first but the original still has plenty going for it, from a better DZ to much less intensive “raids” in the end game. Also Survival mode if you bought the DLC. I actually reinstalled it recently to play that Survival mode again and it’s still fun no matter how many people are in the game with you, even 0 other people.

If you’re still interested when you reach the end game and want to try one of the raids or the legendary difficultly on some of the missions with slightly less matchmaking let me know and I can break out on of my old characters.

2 kind of improves some of the functional aspects of 1, but it's alot less atmospheric than 1 and the gameplay is alot more generic. They're both good pick up and play games however.

Try not think too hard about the ridiculous story or background reasoning for a division team.

EDIT: Also 1 has alot more depth to it with the zones, the subway and survival mode. 2 really lacked that.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Has anyone played exoplanet first contact? It's been in early access for 7 years and a lot of reviews say it's kinda short or lacking but it seems cool

https://store.steampowered.com/app/531660/Exoplanet_First_Contact/

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

2 kind of improves some of the functional aspects of 1, but it's alot less atmospheric than 1 and the gameplay is alot more generic. They're both good pick up and play games however.

Try not think too hard about the ridiculous story or background reasoning for a division team.

EDIT: Also 1 has alot more depth to it with the zones, the subway and survival mode. 2 really lacked that.

Believe me I could write a way too long post about the seemingly well intentioned but ultimately harmful changes made from 1 to 2 but also to itself. Ubisoft’s ongoing development floundering didn’t help either.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/1616988999419035648

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:blastu:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I see the $70 price tag is to support the loads and loads of professional writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm contemplating the sentence "open world tropes like heaving collecting and extra quests, but you can make it palpable."