Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/disclosures-101-social-media-influencers

The FTC's rules on this matter aren't especially concrete. They have the overarching rule that sponsorships must be disclosed in a way that's clear to the viewer, but they only give general guidelines on how to best follow that rule. The FTC doesn't have any platform-specific rules, so they don't try to dictate how titles or descriptions must be formatted, for instance.

This is interesting because the FCC, rather than FTC in this case, is more specific about these practices on radio and TV. It's called payola and plugola and the station can be fined and lose their license. Obviously the FCC has no authority to do that with something like internet videos so the regulation falls under vaguer areas of trade law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Even my local FM radio is now full of the "tell me about advertisements without telling me they are advertisements" bullshit

the moment the hosts talk about their .~* personal preferences *~. its definitely 99.99% gonna be selling something

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 22, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I struggle to believe anyone actually thinks those "I personally use and endorse this service or product" are genuine, I think I mentioned this when Hardware Unboxed were doing Starlink ads. Like yeah sure dude who needs fast internet for your job I totally believe you use satellite internet.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

njsykora posted:

I struggle to believe anyone actually thinks those "I personally use and endorse this service or product" are genuine, I think I mentioned this when Hardware Unboxed were doing Starlink ads. Like yeah sure dude who needs fast internet for your job I totally believe you use satellite internet.

lol. really? look at react content. people are dying for someone else to tell them what to think about a thing

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

Steve 100% uses starlink. He chatted a lot about the service and his experiences with it when he switched to it in the HUB discord, which was months before he got any sponsorship deal. I'm skeptical of the service too, but that ad spot was genuine and reflected everything he was saying about it behind the scenes before he was paid to say it in a video.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

doesn't australia have pretty terrible internet infrastructure, especially in more remote areas?

starlink may be the least bad option available

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, and he basically lives out in the sticks I believe, so it probably is the best internet he has available to him.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

repiv posted:

doesn't australia have pretty terrible internet infrastructure, especially in more remote areas?

starlink may be the least bad option available

The NBN was a shitshow and hasn't left us much better off. I know Dankpods uses starlink though I can't remember if that's for his house or workshed, one of them is on 5G and STL for the other

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
in rural australia satellite is pretty much your only option if you want a high-speed connection, it's very plausible that starlink was the best option around for him

australian internet infrastructure is nowhere near as terrible as it was a decade ago, it's at least basically adequate now - just it's still fairly mediocre compared to a lot of the world because everywhere else has further improved as we spent far too long struggling to build the bare minimum usable infrastructure due to political meddling and incompetence. i still had barely usable adsl only around five years ago

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How does Starlink work with online gaming and latency? I remember back when I lived in the sticks, HughesNet (forgot the former name) was $70 in 2006 money, had ridiculous data caps and I’d get latencies of 600-800ms when trying to play online games.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

buglord posted:

How does Starlink work with online gaming and latency? I remember back when I lived in the sticks, HughesNet (forgot the former name) was $70 in 2006 money, had ridiculous data caps and I’d get latencies of 600-800ms when trying to play online games.

Reports vary. They advertise sub 40-60ms last I saw, but people with it that I've talked with (and various sites that have looked at it) say it can easily jump into the low hundreds just because.

The coverage that was claimed isn't there yet, due to multiple factors. Add in the throughput looks to be not that great. It could work depending on the game, but probably not the best time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

It was pretty good, 50ms or less -- the satellites are vastly closer than geostationary so the delay to bounce up and down isn't high. Totally playable for online games.

OTOH starlink is a lot like wifi where congestion will both decrease throughput and produce nasty inconsistent ping spikes. Playing games on over-crowded wifi also sucks. So as more people have gotten it you see much worse reported results.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

buglord posted:

It's fine. My connection is pretty stable at 60ms to EU servers from the UK playing online FPS games. You do get the occasional spike in latency or a few seconds of packet loss but imo it's worth it to have a 300mbps connection instead of a 20mbps connection with 20ms latency.

Compared to everything I've read about traditional satellite services, Starlink/LEO is very good.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's fine. My connection is pretty stable at 60ms to EU servers from the UK playing online FPS games. You do get the occasional spike in latency or a few seconds of packet loss but imo it's worth it to have a 300mbps connection instead of a 20mbps connection with 20ms latency.

Compared to everything I've read about traditional satellite services, Starlink/LEO is very good.

I don't think anyone has claimed that Starlink doesn't work, the issue is, in typical Musk fashion, the service clearly cannot scale to deliver on the promises, it just doesn't have the backhaul capacity. Also in typically fashion, Musk claims that next one version and the one after that is magically going to solve the backhaul issue with laser interconnects, etc, etc magical ideas while he wastes billions of dollars on satellites that he knows can't meet service expectations if widely deployed.

Yeah, right now, it works OK-ish, arguably better and cheaper than some of it's more traditional satellite competitors because not many people are using it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
They also need around 10x their current userbase to break even, they won't even finish launching the full constellation before the initial sats run out of juice and need to deorbit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, and Musk's clearly stopped caring about it. I'm sure he's willing to pull out all the stops to try and keep Tesla going, I can't imagine him doing that for Starlink.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

Yeah, and Musk's clearly stopped caring about it. I'm sure he's willing to pull out all the stops to try and keep Tesla going, I can't imagine him doing that for Starlink.

Nah they'll just IPO and get a bunch of dumb money in to kick that can down the road.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I saw a thumbnail from Paul’s Hardware about defending his choice of the best GPU of all time and it was the 1080ti and my dude that is the coldest take you could possibly have.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

njsykora posted:

I saw a thumbnail from Paul’s Hardware about defending his choice of the best GPU of all time and it was the 1080ti and my dude that is the coldest take you could possibly have.

ati radeon 9700 pro?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Paul is impressively beige in a sea of beige dudes

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

njsykora posted:

It's also a really dumb premise because the greatest GPU of all time is objectively whatever is the fastest, latest GPU available.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's also a really dumb premise because the greatest GPU of all time is objectively whatever is the fastest, latest GPU available.

Most underwhelming would be funner. I'd vote 20x0 series of most recent vintage.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Geforce 2 MX or TNT2 m64, more like.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah but at least they were cheap

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kerbtree posted:

Geforce 2 MX or TNT2 m64, more like.

TNT2 would be one of my picks. gently caress the voodoo VGA passthrough making the screen blurry, and also playing homeworld in 32bit color.

My other one would be the radeon 7870 GHz, which is the type of card that started the "AMD fine wine" meme. But it really did hold up. Basically identical to the console Xbone/PS4 GPUs so was a optimization target for a long time, but with more cores and clock. It was the right time to buy in to AMD as far as them getting their poo poo together with drivers. And it was $350.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I personally would make at least an argument for the 750Ti, the budget god for a long rear end time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My vote would go to the Vega 3 on the Athlon 200ge / 3000g

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 1080 Ti was one of the best GPU deals ever. There’s definitely something to be said for GPUs that hit the trifecta of power, cost, and longevity.

The ATI 9500 Pro might have been that for me if the core unlock had actually worked instead of causing glitches

The TNT 2 is sentimental for me, though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah people say all the time the 1080Ti is a mistake Nvidia will never make again.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My 1070 is still kicking and I've had it for 5ish years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In a similar vein, the GTX 970 I gave my brother got a second life now that it’s paired with a decent enough CPU (2600X). It continually outperforms my expectations. Most recently, with Forza Horizon 4 where it’s a locked 60 at 1440p at fairly high settings.

I can’t overstate how much the i5 6400 it was previously with was holding it back.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Fx 5200

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SalTheBard posted:

My 1070 is still kicking and I've had it for 5ish years

Same but I stopped playing as hard as i used to, I could easily go with the integrated Xe graphics and not miss much.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

970 is a strong contender as is 1060 6gb, but the 1080ti has to take the crown, the power per dollar is off the charts and it’s still a decent gpu today.

If we’re gonna go old school I’m gonna say Riva 128, but that’s mostly driven by my nostalgia

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I bought my 1060 6GB when it was new, and still use it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

It's been all downhill since the 8800GT, top end performance for 200 bucks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's been all downhill since the 8800GT, top end performance for 200 bucks.

100% this. I did an evga trade up and the pricing was so insane the difference to pay was $0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Aware posted:

Most underwhelming would be funner. I'd vote 20x0 series of most recent vintage.

GTX 770 could be a stealth choice, fast enough when new but the consoles having 8GB unified memory rapidly made the 2GB VRAM obsolete, then the 1070 came out and just killed it.