Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Log082 posted:

Day 14: Shodai was ROBBED.

Huh?

If you only watch one match from day 14 it should be endo vs abi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Random thought that popped up in my head: anyone know how Ishiura is doing? He's been out with injury for almost a year now

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Brut posted:

Huh?

If you only watch one match from day 14 it should be endo vs abi

Dunno, I laughed when Tobizaru pulled off the 360

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Beeswax posted:

Random thought that popped up in my head: anyone know how Ishiura is doing? He's been out with injury for almost a year now

I think I read that he's retiring due to injury.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

I think I read that he's retiring due to injury.

Yeah I sort of assumed he had retired but his Wikipedia page only states that he withdrew from the March 2022 basho due to injury and he seems to still get a spot on the bazuke each basho. His current rank is Sd30w

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i've been a really half-hearted takakeisho evangelist for a while now. i've maintained the opinion that when he's on, literally no one can stop him. consistency is obviously a problem, but i genuinely believe if he gets the rope, keisho will use the expectations of the office to make noticeable improvements to his already formidable game and will go down as a legitimately great rikishi.

i'm rooting for the guy.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Hokutofuji vs Takarafuji looking like a drat mirror match

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I'm ridiculously exited for tomorrow! May the best man win

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

If Takakeisho loses, he'll end with the exact same record as 2 years ago when Tokushoryu took the yusho from M17. :eng101:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 14: It looked like they went down at the same time to me. Should have at least gone to a mono ie.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
D14 Abi v Endo gyōji bowling!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This basho is so henka and violence heavy.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Day 14:

Kotoshoho yes!

Ichiyamamoto vs Azumaryu should have been called a matta. Azumaryu didn't have his right hand fully down before Ichiyamamoto started moving.

Glad my whole active stable has their KK.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i love Hiro Morita and would totally have a beer with him

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Just putting it out there if kotoshoho henkas keisho I will buy his tegata and construct a shrine to him in my living room.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

verbal enema posted:

i love Hiro Morita and would totally have a beer with him

Absolutely

Day 14: Sumo rocks :hellyeah:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Luck on my side I’ll get tickets to the May basho so I want to go have a beer with Hiro :thumbsup:

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Day 14: Hoshoryu clearly trying to mess with Takakeisho and then just getting instantly owned is insanely funny. He makes a good heel, fun to watch win and fun to watch lose

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Eldoop posted:

Day 14: Hoshoryu clearly trying to mess with Takakeisho and then just getting instantly owned is insanely funny. He makes a good heel, fun to watch win and fun to watch lose

Totally agreed I just wish I wasn't watching my fantasy stable rely on him and hokutofuji to win really touch matches on the final day to make things look less like a total disaster :smith:

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 22, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Beeswax posted:

His henka on tochinoshin is one of the best I've ever seen.

His traps were ridiculous too

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Great basho, sorry I haven't been able to update the thread with fantasy results. This is a big field, and there's been quite a few kyujo so my spreadsheet is pretty unwieldy, especially trying to catch up on like 6 days of action. I hoping (hoping!) to get day 14 results up before senshuraku but realistically I doubt I'll be done before then. Luckily, there shouldn't be 20 inches of rain in the Bay Area during the March tournament, and also I should probably take another pass and automate even more of my spreadsheet.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

My all SHODAI strategy has not paid off this basho but I keep the faith that he will reward me with SHODAI antics.

Pulling for Takakeisho. Been a beast all tournament and would like to see him pull it out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Play Shodai games, win Shodai prizes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think if Keishi takes the yusho he gets the rope.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think they'll be tempted to do it just so that he gets locked in as yokozuna-ozeki and solves their banzuke issue until they have to medically retire one of them.

I do have to admit that I want to see Kotoshoho take it, though, just because everybody has Takakeisho on their fantasy roster so a win from him is sorta score neutral.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 22, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He was runner-up in a playoff last time. It would be ridiculous to withhold it after he's been a solid ozeki for 4 years. He's got 2 yusho and 8 jun-yusho. He's earned it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

YDC decides to not award him the rope, announcing that even with his Ozeki records, they feel that bleeding from the nose is not upholding the dignity of the position. :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Day 14, but don't think it needs spoilers: lol at the abema color comentator expressing surprise at Aoyama having a green mawashi because 'i just associate him with blue you know? his name starts with Ao (blue) and he's from Blue-garia'
It's a pretty good pun in Japanese! :shobon:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think overall Takakeisho will have earned it if he wins but I would have liked to see him pull off at least 13 wins. Unless I'm missing one, Hakuho only ever had a single 12-3 yusho and I'm going to hold his standard as my unfair bar for the rest of my life.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 22, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Shiroc posted:

I think overall Takakeisho will have earned it if he wins but I would have liked to see him pull off at least 13 wins. Unless I'm missing one, Hakuho only ever had a single 12-3 yusho and I'm going to hold his standard as my unfair bar for the rest of my life.

this is probably the actual bar to look at

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Special prizes:

Kiribayama gets the Technique prize

Kotoshoho gets Fighting Spirit and, if he wins, Outstanding Performance too

Onosho gets the Fighting Spirit only if he wins

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
they absolutely won't do it, but the way things have worked out so far today, you could make a mathematical case for having five or six sekiwake at the next basho lmao

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Once again, as is tradition, Shodai.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
That's the first time in a good while I have seen an unambiguous hair pull and DQ, usually there's some leeway/hand-tangled-in-hair on viewing it but, no, just clean grabbing the topknot for a solid amount of time. What a way to lose an award

e: Do they recycle or re-use those advertisement banners, or do they sell them off? I kinda want a HOT STAFF to hang on my wall for the giggles.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Heck of a day 15. Was wondering if they'd give Hoshoryu a conditional fighting spirit award for pushing through on one ankle, but he's a sekiwake, 8-7 normally wouldn't merit one.

The next banzuke will be interesting. Particularly what they do with sekiwake, and what they do with Asanoyama.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

JohnCompany posted:

The next banzuke will be interesting. Particularly what they do with sekiwake, and what they do with Asanoyama.

Eh Asanoyama will either be in a top Juryo slot or a near bottom Makuuchi slot, pretty mundane either way.

As for sanyaku hmmmmm

I'm thinking:

Sekiwake: Wakatakakage and Hoshoryu (obviously), and Kiribayama as 3rd.
Komusubi: Wakamotoharu, Kotonowaka and Daieisho.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[banging cutlery on table] give him the rope! give him the rope!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: Dare we hope... Yokokeisho?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
day 15 we stuffed the sanyaku as full as we possibly could and only one komosubi finished within striking distance of the yusho, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Well I had fun watching at least.