Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The use of the mario coin sound effects in 80k gold coins made me chuckle a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

haypliss posted:

The pacing in general feels like the show should be twice as long as it's listed with how packed the setting is. Stuff like shots of fantasy fauna or the villain's lackeys just having a random conversation are great downtime bits, but this episode also ropes in the old Paladin and the officials from the imperial capital with no real progress on their threads. At least for the moment that all reads to me as charming (excess of) ambition, so it's a reason to keep watching. I know the action has been a big complaint, and those scenes have fully devolved into get-it-out-the-door mode. But thinking of that aspect as a second-string magical girl show (Jiro has a transformation sequence after all) is enough to pass my bar.
yeah, feels a lot like a show from 20-25 years ago where they could have several eps of the party just having random adventures and stuff before the main plot came into focus. kind of nostalgic in a way.

also l o l at the new ED for Blue Lock

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Someone needs to stop USG.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I wonder if Hikari no Ou is having production troubles as well, there were some gussied-up stills of what I presume were the storyboards used for a bunch of scenes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Buddy Daddies is great

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

I wonder if Hikari no Ou is having production troubles as well, there were some gussied-up stills of what I presume were the storyboards used for a bunch of scenes.

those are illustrations in the style of the ones from the books, theyre using them in a dezaki sort of way. storyboards do not have that amount of detail in the drawings lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

should probably get a thread where someone discusses just what the gently caress

haha yeah lets all get together and watch it. haha. what if we all took our pants off and watched it. haha. its okay bro were all in my basement theres no cameras haha. pretty chilly down here aint it? haha

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I've never heard of it but a quick Google shows that it looks like :suicide: and should probably get a thread where someone discusses just what the gently caress.

Basically the drunk late night anime watch kind of show.

That's really distinct from being a creeper or endorsing the show.

I’m still unsure if you’re a troll or just extremely stupid

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FilthyImp posted:

I've never heard of it but a quick Google shows that it looks like :suicide: and should probably get a thread where someone discusses just what the gently caress.

Basically the drunk late night anime watch kind of show.

That's really distinct from being a creeper or endorsing the show.

aids

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*busts down the door to your room* bro i got this vhs. la blue girl. see this poo poo bro? so weird. we gotta have a boys night and watch dis poo poo it's so wack bro haha

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

detective conan sure is an anime that is airing this season

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i dipped on 80k gold in episode 1 when family showed up and i didn't bother picking it back up, what do you think of it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Southern Cassowary posted:

i dipped on 80k gold in episode 1 when family showed up and i didn't bother picking it back up, what do you think of it

i can't honestly say it's a good show, it's just something i'm watching to turn my brain off for 20 minutes once a week
it's disappointing that so far the main gimmick isn't being explored that much, or the pacing's too slow - i want to watch this girl completely break this fantasy world's economy and society by introducing modern technology but 3 episodes in she's barely done any of that at all

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

marumaru posted:

i can't honestly say it's a good show, it's just something i'm watching to turn my brain off for 20 minutes once a week
it's disappointing that so far the main gimmick isn't being explored that much, or the pacing's too slow - i want to watch this girl completely break this fantasy world's economy and society by introducing modern technology but 3 episodes in she's barely done any of that at all

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Absolutely relate to watching mediocre shows that hit certain spots to get some escapism once a week.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remembering the anime news network article where a guy talks about watching hentai with the bros the day after 9/11 and goes 'in a way, this felt like a small victory over the terrorists'

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

marumaru posted:

I thought the writing was pretty bad when it had her come up with this super long and convoluted fake backstory when the actual truth of "my family died in a transportation accident then I got mixed up with some jerks and wound up here" would have worked just as well even in fantasy world with only the slightest alterations/omissions and would be way less suspicious.

But yes, seeing her bring in more salt/pepper/sugar/machined goods and breaking medieval fantasy world economics over her knee would be much more entertaining.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

remembering the anime news network article where a guy talks about watching hentai with the bros the day after 9/11 and goes 'in a way, this felt like a small victory over the terrorists'

you still making jokes about people being weirdo perverts higher up in the thread or did this actually happen

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marumaru posted:

if it goes with the season finale I think it will, don't worry, she will big time

more specifics on what I think they'll end the season with, only look if you're not planning on continuing I guess: enemy nation invades, she takes the gold coins used as currency in the fantasy world and teleports back to our world, sells the gold coins for stupid money because they're GOLD COINS, and hires an entire PMC which she transports back to the fantasy world to fight for her. anti-aircraft batteries may be used against dragons

I know it's been done in other series before but it's still funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

you still making jokes about people being weirdo perverts higher up in the thread or did this actually happen
it 100% happened but i cant find the article lol. ann has had dozens of random feature columns over the years

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
On retrospect, we should have known that there was no "Anime" badge in scouts. :smith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Kvantum posted:

They're called "Chapeaus". This gives me the sneaking suspicion that the "hats" are the important part of each of them. My money's on an alien race that cloned the girls as hosts.

alien ten/six

probably too long a bow to draw to make both parts of this joke work

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I appreciated the reference, at least.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I keep seeing clips of Not-Anya from Buddy Daddies and I'm sort of convinced to watch but then I remember it's a PA Works show so the chances of everything completely to pot for the characters is practically 1 in 1, and I'm just not in the mood to see sad girl (or, worse, grown up) in snow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is that a thing that happens in pa works originals?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yes, but it's more like a coin flip, not 100%

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

ConanThe3rd posted:

I keep seeing clips of Not-Anya from Buddy Daddies and I'm sort of convinced to watch but then I remember it's a PA Works show so the chances of everything completely to pot for the characters is practically 1 in 1, and I'm just not in the mood to see sad girl (or, worse, grown up) in snow.

i've enjoyed it so far, outside of one of the buddy daddies giving a stupid lecture about maternal instincts in the newest episode. the characters have some baggage and they're going to shoot a lot of people, but i can't really imagine why it would end in a horrible tragedy based on the tone of the first 3 episodes

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

it 100% happened but i cant find the article lol. ann has had dozens of random feature columns over the years

all good. i believe you and the description is funny enough

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Endorph posted:

is that a thing that happens in pa works originals?

i have to assume they only watched the jun maeda ones. unfortunate but understandable

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

marumaru posted:

Hey now, in ep 3 she introduced the idea of crop rotation farming which will save the entire country from famine, announced she was going to open a general store which sold cosmetics and also realised that their food is incredibly bland which means she can make a fortune selling food from Earth. That's pretty much most of the stereotypical "isekai get rich quick" schemes, she's just missing the printing press

The gimmick where she constantly remembers advice from her dead brother so he's continually popping up throughout every episode like a Family Guy cutaway gag is real weird

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any isekai world that hasn't figured out crop rotation deserves to starve.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Not really sure why she went to go get gun training from a PMC rather than... like... a gun instructor. Going to some PMC headquartered in the 3rd world is like the last place I'd think to go.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly she could make a fortune just importing 1 lb bags of table salt. High quality granulated salt is rare in mediaeval societies (they mostly get by on rock salt or if they live by the ocean, sea salt) and she could also do the same with dried spices. If they even have certain spices in their trade network they'll be expensive as hell because spice cultivation is difficult with the temperate climate and primitive agriculture of the kingdom she finds herself in.

There's another show, Campfire Cooking in Another World With My Absurd Skills, where the guy blows a merchant's mind with some table salt and pepper that cost him next to nothing because he pays modern prices for goods using his cheat skill to shop. It's basically similar as far as potential economic disruption as he can get spices and groceries unknown to the world he's in at bargain basement prices, but he's not trying to make serious money from trading, more's the pity. He could become a salt baron and effectively control the economies of several nations, but he's boring and doesn't want to make waves. I might end up dropping the show if the next episode isn't interesting.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly she could make a fortune just importing 1 lb bags of table salt. High quality granulated salt is rare in mediaeval societies (they mostly get by on rock salt or if they live by the ocean, sea salt) and she could also do the same with dried spices. If they even have certain spices in their trade network they'll be expensive as hell because spice cultivation is difficult with the temperate climate and primitive agriculture of the kingdom she finds herself in.

It's pretty funny that she thought to bring along a cultured pearl necklace to sell for some $$$$ and the reaction from the artistocrats was OMG THIS IS A GIFT FROM THE GODS WHICH IS WORTH A KING'S RANSOM, YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET MURDERED IF YOU TRY TO AUCTION IT OFF

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not really sure why she went to go get gun training from a PMC rather than... like... a gun instructor. Going to some PMC headquartered in the 3rd world is like the last place I'd think to go.

Might be kinda hard to find one in Japan. I think the important thing for her was to find someone who won't ask questions when given a suitcase full of money.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Training in real guns and especially automatic weapons is unheard of in Japan. The only gun you can legally own is a pump action hunting shotgun that has been deliberately nerfed with add ons to reduce its ammo capacity and the ammo you can get isn't suitable for self defense, only hunting. She would need to go to another country to get weapons and ammo without having to cultivate Yakuza contacts (who mostly only deal in handguns and other easily concealable weapons) so contracting with a PMC makes the most sense, as they'll provide her with the tools and training and as another poster pointed out, not ask questions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in countries with pmcs, they probably also have regular gun instructors. like, just sign up for a class somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Episode 2 and Fire Hunter already running into budget issues.