Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
bring back Pride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/ErimusSports/status/1616949920191184896

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lol, real convenient litmus test.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That ref is just like "nah he dead"

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

oops!

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 22, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

Please don't take this as me starting poo poo I am genuinely interested to know if you can see a clear line between a brutal knock out in a sanctioned, established sport where both competitors are capable of defending themselves and white power slapping.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Marching Powder posted:

Please don't take this as me starting poo poo I am genuinely interested to know if you can see a clear line between a brutal knock out in a sanctioned, established sport where both competitors are capable of defending themselves and white power slapping.

To be fair, UFC isn't a sport.

e: the slap poo poo is sanctioned too by Nevada

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

UFC is like watching high level Starcraft, slap fighting is like watching your 8 year old play checkers. But both with brain damage.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fozzy The Bear posted:

UFC is like watching high level Starcraft, slap fighting is like watching your 8 year old play checkers. But both with brain damage.
Is Anderson-Forrest Boxer's 12-Carrier Lockdown?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Shumagorath posted:

Is Anderson-Forrest Boxer's 12-Carrier Lockdown?

Anderson (in his prime) was Flash :laugh:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

What is the composition of wrestling fans in terms of awareness of and sympathy for CTE? Iow, are they more or less disdainful about slapping vs the average (yuck) mma fan?

From what I remember, there was a guy in the WWE who was a former football player (I think only at a college level) and he was very big on the "Hey....concussions are not good and WWE's system/policies (at the time) are trash" and most people agreed with him.

I think when it was more or less revealed that Chris Benoit had CTE and went on to murder his wife and kid wrestling fans pretty universally said "CTE is bad and should be avoided"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also cross posting this from the grappling thread but Fight Pass finally has new content that will be worth subscribing to for a bit.

Mekchu posted:

In more positive news, and will likely see try a crack at doing more of those write ups/previews because.....

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ne...aming-agreement

UFC Fight Pass and ADCC Submission Fighting World Federation announce exclusive multi-year streaming agreement

UFC Fight Pass to showcase over 40 events through 2024 including the ADCC Opens, Trials and Championship.

LAS VEGAS – UFC Fight Pass, the world's leading streaming service for combat sports, today announced a multi-year partnership with global submission grappling organization ADCC Submission Fighting World Federation. Under the terms of the agreement, UFC Fight Pass will exclusively stream over 40 ADCC events through 2024, including the ADCC Opens, Trials, and Championship in Las Vegas in September of 2024. The partnership will kick off with ADCC Opens in Mexico in March of this year.

"Apart from UFC events, grappling is among the most popular content on UFC Fight Pass," said Crowley Sullivan, vice president and general manager, UFC Fight Pass. "We're excited to add ADCC, which is arguably the most prestigious submission grappling competition in the world, to UFC Fight Pass."

Established in 1998, ADCC is an international submission grappling competition that is held every two years and features 100 of the top grapplers from all over the world. Each event is tournament style, with winners moving forward to the ADCC Championship. Previous events have included grappling superstars such as five-time ADCC world champion Gordon Ryan, UFC Hall of Famer and former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz, and many more.

"ADCC is thrilled to work with UFC Fight Pass and showcase the brilliance of grappling to fans in the United States and around the world," said Mo Jassim, head organizer, ADCC. "This deal includes our premier event ADCC 2024 in September 2024 in Las Vegas – an event UFC Fight Pass subscribers will not want to miss."

UFC Fight Pass features live events from dozens of combat sports promotions around the world. Subscribers of the platform also have 24/7 access to the world's largest fight library featuring over 20,000 bouts, as well as every fight in UFC history.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Slap fighting is dumb as hell, but I've watched Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama 20 times at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1iHdAQTPPY&t=44s

e: what I'm trying to say is I'm a dirty degenerate, but even I won't watch slap fighting.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 22, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Don't forget that Figgy was spreading social media posts inciting the Jan 8 insurrection, and that Moreno has a Mexican folk ballad about him.

I wanna hear this ballad now.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

for the record, the 15-minute beating Lauren Murphy took bothers me an awful lot more than this did

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mekchu posted:

I wanna hear this ballad now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJLRZJRqmo

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fozzy The Bear posted:

e: what I'm trying to say is I'm a dirty degenerate, but even I won't watch slap fighting.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grats to DRAMAKANE for being #1 in the group.
I'm not certain you are a goon and I just let some random person in.
If you don't respond to this within a day or so, I'm kicking you out
And Boco_T gets to rename the group

Also, grats CarlCX for not being in last

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

saved my rear end, gilbert

That event was almost eight hours long and I am very tired. Jamahal Hill's improved his takedown defense an awful lot, and I'm real, real curious to see if the UFC rebooks the Anthony Smith fight, gives Blachowicz/Ankalaev another chance, or just embraces full chaos and books Johnny Walker part two or something.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Digital Jedi posted:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Mekchu posted:

From what I remember, there was a guy in the WWE who was a former football player (I think only at a college level) and he was very big on the "Hey....concussions are not good and WWE's system/policies (at the time) are trash" and most people agreed with him.

I think when it was more or less revealed that Chris Benoit had CTE and went on to murder his wife and kid wrestling fans pretty universally said "CTE is bad and should be avoided"

Yea this was Baron Corbin, who was at least in the NFL long enough to be a part of a lawsuit against them for concussion related injuries. He was in a talent meeting challenging Joseph Maroon; the literal bad guy in the movie, "Concussion," over him basically saying CTE isn't that big a deal.

Also while we're maybe a group outlier, all of us in the AEW thread(s) are pretty appalled by the slap league too & extremely sympathetic to concussions taking out our favorites for potentially months at a time. A huge star just came back from one such recovery, and there's actually a separate concussion related storyline going on right now!

Tweak fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 22, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CarlCX posted:

for the record, the 15-minute beating Lauren Murphy took bothers me an awful lot more than this did

also allowing shogun a fight.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It was pretty hosed they threw poo poo at Brandon Moreno but he seemed pretty geeked still. My man had more heat than the nWo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCFfVhx4PRw lmao

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

I don't. For one thing,

Fozzy The Bear posted:

e: the slap poo poo is sanctioned too by Nevada

in this age, absolutely no one will stop you from legally ruining yourself. As I said earlier, MMA's an established sport because there's enough bloodlust to support it.
To me, the line is not that clear.

CarlCX posted:

Absolutely. Getting concussed is bad for your brain, but the training you have to do to get to a high level in a combat sport means you take a lot of hits to the head.
And the accumulation over years is likely more dangerous for you than, say, a one hit KO.
Getting caught with a punch out of nowhere doesn't have the same ethical burden on the corner when a fighter is getting rocked from bell to bell.
It's a two tier failure between the corner and the ref to let any overwhelmed fighter keep going. Comebacks are great and obviously a huge part of sports in general, but it's totally fine to have fewer of them for the sake of protecting the fighters more.

Glover should also have been pulled before the end. He had self awareness about it post-fight, but just not the mentality to actually quit himself.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Yeah fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I think you're insane, but at least I understand where we disagree.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/antontabuena/status/1617213368762503168

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

kimbo305 posted:

in this age, absolutely no one will stop you from legally ruining yourself. As I said earlier, MMA's an established sport because there's enough bloodlust to support it.
To me, the line is not that clear.

Can't speak for the person who initially said that the slap league stuff makes them feel physically ill, but for me the difference context makes in a subjective response like that is gonna be pretty varied. Like, watching footage from a warzone in which somebody is seen to be shot in a firefight and falls is going to produce a different emotional response to watching somebody executed by firing squad. The damage is identical for argument's sake, but the context is quite plainly not. The line isn't clear ethically, like how much risk is acceptable for entertainment or sporting purposes, but I think the line for how an individual reacts is only ever going to be clear to that person.

I got a buddy who can watch all kinds of gruesome stuff as long as nobody's head gets chopped off. As soon as somebody is beheaded he gets super grossed out and uncomfortable. He recognizes it isn't proportional or sensible, but it is what it is.

But I also think your point is a fair one that if you have a strong emotional reaction to the damage being done in one context, it is worthwhile to re-examine your position on a similar amount of damage being done in another context.

One interesting thing I remember a pro wrestler saying in an interview (I think it was Steve Austin): he said his body is all hosed up from being a wrestler, but that he has buddies who are in flooring, and their knees are ruined from spending so much of their lives down on their knees putting in linoleum. From his perspective he got a better deal as he made a lot more money and did something much more fun and fulfilling for him, and while it had a physical toll, so would a lot of the alternatives for him. I don't really agree with that exactly, but it's worth remembering that a lot of fighters probably would. Many of them come from working class backgrounds and may have found themselves in laboring jobs if not for MMA. They run the math and consider that they would rather their body be put at risk doing something like fighting rather than slowly grinding it down for wages.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

they could definitely find someone else that is a domestic abuser and will also gently caress over fighters at every opportunity

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Carlisle posted:

they could definitely find someone else that is a domestic abuser and will also gently caress over fighters at every opportunity

They could easily just pick someone from the Dana sycophants/fans defending ANY coverage saying "don't hit your wife after you aggressively grab her while you're drunk."

Their booking/promotion knowledge would basically be the same as Dana's at this point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's hot.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Digital Jedi posted:

Grats to DRAMAKANE for being #1 in the group.
I'm not certain you are a goon and I just let some random person in.
If you don't respond to this within a day or so, I'm kicking you out
And Boco_T gets to rename the group

Hi if it was Spaced God that's me :)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
WE GOTTA MOVE SOME TICKETS, THAW THE BOY
https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1617524528363585536

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/RiniMMA/status/1617445058625544193

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mekchu posted:

I think as a whole, wrestling fans are probably the most aware of concussions compared to other sports because with Benoit and the immediate reaction, it wasn't just people thinking "yeah, maybe unprotected head shots aren't good". Even the people that on!y care for blood and don't care about safety were forced to care because there was a real threat of wrestling not existing any more if things didn't change.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lucasar posted:

One interesting thing I remember a pro wrestler saying in an interview (I think it was Steve Austin): he said his body is all hosed up from being a wrestler, but that he has buddies who are in flooring, and their knees are ruined from spending so much of their lives down on their knees putting in linoleum. From his perspective he got a better deal as he made a lot more money and did something much more fun and fulfilling for him, and while it had a physical toll, so would a lot of the alternatives for him. I don't really agree with that exactly, but it's worth remembering that a lot of fighters probably would. Many of them come from working class backgrounds and may have found themselves in laboring jobs if not for MMA. They run the math and consider that they would rather their body be put at risk doing something like fighting rather than slowly grinding it down for wages.

I understand the rationale (and tragedy) of trading your bodily condition / health for money, but CTE is a different case for me. It's super scary to be precipice of painkiller addiction for when your joints are destroyed, but it's another to have your personality and ability to think erode around inside your head.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e: just posted!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm going to put the in-line Tape Delay Kickboxing posts in the kickboxing thread so go ahead and bookmark that and we'll try to get it to live again. But I will still post a link to the blog version in here.

Tape Delay Kickboxing 7: Bigbang 44 - 2023-01-22
The first installment of 2023 features the minor league at Korakuen, two title fights, and an exhibition between two guys with a 50kg weight difference! No spoilers, free on Youtube!
https://bocot.substack.com/p/tape-delay-kickboxing-7-bigbang-44

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm 38 and my body is completely destroyed from a lifetime in the restaurant industry BUT I probably don't have a degenerative brain disease so I kinda see both sides.

e: posting on a dead VB forum has left me way more functional than getting into social media

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
posting on SA has made me less able to function in public than any accumulated head trauma