Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Weka posted:

I'm willing to believe trebuchets cause cancer but I'd like to know how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

Rotting cow corpses are bad for you, probably not cancer bad, probably something faster acting though

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

i did specify hot weapons

trebuchets and air compressor pumpkin chuckers don't run the same way

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

thread making me wistful for the days of homemade potato cannons that somehow didn't kill any of us

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

atelier morgan posted:

i did specify hot weapons

get a load of this dunderhead who doesn't recognize the sheer sexiness of the noble trebuchet

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm still waiting for siege towers to make a comeback

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

get a load of this dunderhead who doesn't recognize the sheer sexiness of the noble trebuchet

gently caress you i've built a trebuchet before, trebuchets are great

don't accuse me of this heresy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
rats all die of cancer in a couple of years anyway so

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

gently caress you i've built a trebuchet before, trebuchets are great

don't accuse me of this heresy

But did you gently caress it?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

But did you gently caress it?

i am not and have never been a marine

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s 54 not 64.

if these two upload I’ll go back and take images of all of them later.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That’s gorgeous.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1616901046777057281

2030 is way after all those taiwan wargame dates lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

huh that’s an interesting variant of the bulbous bow. looks like a pain in the rear end to make.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we going back to trireme ramming boats, nice. america got a lot of practice crashing lately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they definitely want to mitigate this risk. but how the trade war a few years back went is strong evidence they have not.

Ardennes posted:

Also, China came out of the trade war with pretty well, and I think it is a stretch to call any of this imperialism to be frank.

The section 301 tariffs are still in effect and have increased since Biden's been in. They just got extended through September 2023 (and will be extended again before then)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

right and Chinese have been buying soy at near the rate they did before the trade war. they were able to go for about six months. and that six months is deceptive. they stopped buying before the end of the normal export season and… basically went back to buying a bit before the normal start of the next export season.

but somebody is going to post to tell me this thing I observed in person ain’t true, so I’ll preemptively lmao. I sure as hell didn’t get to catch a real break on grain work. I was intensely worried about it at the time, before they started buying again nobody really knew how long they could go with US grain for.

it’s intensely stupid that we still have the expanded tariffs up though.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

ClassActionFursuit posted:

The section 301 tariffs are still in effect and have increased since Biden's been in. They just got extended through September 2023 (and will be extended again before then)

Right, and China US trade is at a record high. China side ain't hurting from the tariffs, but the US consumer is since all that extra cost is being passed off onto them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I was just pointing out that the trade war isn't over. And yes, China seems unaffected.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Uh that isn't much of a war

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trade stern letter

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

god i hope this is true

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ardennes posted:

Uh that isn't much of a war
The trade war where one side has the sole capability to make stuff and the other side screams and shits their pants.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

cat botherer posted:

The trade war where one side has the sole capability to make stuff and the other side screams and shits their pants.

I'm sure once the majority of the US Pacific fleet is sunk stopping the invasion of Taiwan I'm sure the treats will have no disruption

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
"No one could have predicted this, but the death squads I trained in Afghanistan are now mercenaries for Russia and not defenders of truth and justice."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/24/opinion/afghanistan-ukraine-putin-special-forces.html?searchResultPosition=1

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

ma i married a tuna posted:

"No one could have predicted this, but the death squads I trained in Afghanistan are now mercenaries for Russia and not defenders of truth and justice."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/24/opinion/afghanistan-ukraine-putin-special-forces.html?searchResultPosition=1

https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-russia-ukraine-iran-europe-taliban-30e2b1ffc7c5ecf2847b654f862723b8

quote:

Mulroy was skeptical, however, that Russians would be able to persuade many Afghan commandos to join because most he knew were driven by the desire to make democracy work in their country rather than being guns for hire.

Lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: yes yes, democracy, I love it now give me the rifle

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

In July, during a video conference with members of the various nongovernmental organizations, Secretary of State Antony Blinken voiced his gratitude toward these groups, acknowledging our assumption of the State Department’s responsibilities, and expressing that “We need you to continue to do so.” Why though? Why is it incumbent on American civilians, veterans and active service members to dedicate our own time and resources to rebuild our nation’s honor?

Huh, I had no idea USA was offloading state functions to just rando volunteers. I thought it was only Ukraine and Russia doing that :lmao:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/WarThunder/status/1615663032893317120

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I loving love doing daily stand ups and dev sprints to do agile development on the software for a trillion dollar warplane

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
dude, you dumb motherfucker paid $2 trillion for something you don't even own the IP rights for and now you are shocked that you got fleeced

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Huh, I had no idea USA was offloading state functions to just rando volunteers. I thought it was only Ukraine and Russia doing that :lmao:

State was totally and fully gutted under Trump and it's never going to be rebuilt.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I loving love doing daily stand ups and dev sprints to do agile development on the software for a trillion dollar warplane

Agile means I can deliver nothing and you still pay me

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

State was totally and fully gutted under Trump and it's never going to be rebuilt.

The State Department has been little more than an auxiliary wing of the DOD since Bush

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

The State Department has been little more than an auxiliary wing of the DOD since Bush

Ok now replace "auxiliary wing" with "empty building"

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So now that Russia is losing its war against NATO without NATO even showing up, can we conclude anything out of it regarding WW3?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fish of hemp posted:

So now that Russia is losing its war against NATO without NATO even showing up, can we conclude anything out of it regarding WW3?

Yeah, Westerners are going to be subject to completely idiotic propaganda and swallow it hook, line, and sinker unless reality imposes itself upon them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Agile means I can deliver nothing and you still pay me

Implementing an rsync cronjob on a two month timeline.