Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah if I did my math right the chance of getting unlucky at least once with 100 dice rolls at 1% each is uh. 63.4%.

Everyone thinks it won't happen to them because we suck at mental math involving very large and very small numbers.

But it will. Eventually. If thou fucketh around enough, eventually thou findeth out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/jeremy-clarkson-amazon-grand-tour-canceled-1235490701/

Oh no. Anyway,

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I ain't gonna film on Clarkson's Farm, no more
No, I ain't gonna film on Clarkson's Farm, no more

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
The only really interesting thing to come out of GT was the Mongolia trip anyway and it would have been better with 3 new hosts who were actually trying rather than trying make a sitcom. Actual REALITY tv needs to be a thing and not just a YouTube thing.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 17, 2023

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Maybe it was just me, but even though I thoroughly enjoyed Top Gear, I watched like half the first episode of The Grand Tour and just turned it off. It felt like it was trying too hard to be a "better" Top Gear.

I'll still watch anything James May does though.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I was the same way. My wife even enjoyed top gear. The grand tour was just Clarkson unleashed and sucked as a result.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It felt to me like American writers didn't get the relationship between the three on the UK show and took it from them frequently teasing each other to acting like they genuinely hated each other. Or maybe they did genuinely hate each other at that point and it bled through, IDK.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I honestly thought the format change from “TG with the serial numbers filed off” to “Oops! All Travel Specials” was an improvement, but even by the end of their TG run it was clear they were running out of steam. GT definitely reflected that with its spotty quality. And James’ accident in A Scandi Flick was really alarming, so if putting GT out of its misery and letting James keep making Oh Cook! and Our Man In… is the end result of this, all the better imo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I fully admit that I always thought that Jeremy was hilarious insofar as his "character" was a schtick. But as the years go on and he's become confused himself about how much of his "character" is the actual him, he's become increasingly unfunny. If it was still a schtick I could forgive all, but I can't forgive actual blatant misogyny. I hate milkshake duck so bad, and I hope this doesn't rub off or effect Mr. May at all, as he's a saint.

I really just wish they had a regular "The Newwwwzzz" section for like 15 minutes once a week.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The problem with schtick is that it pollutes the well. Even if it's not who you are IRL, it attracts those types of people to your circle. Enough of them push out the people who remember who you were. Then it's the steep slope of falling into your character.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Since they killed GT to be just travel specials,because I guess those were the best episodes of TG, it was always on its last legs and Jeramy being a piece of poo poo who writes for The Sun just has allowed Amazon to eject from a project that wasn’t delivering.

More James May stuff thanks Jeffy B.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Since they killed GT to be just travel specials,because I guess those were the best episodes of TG, it was always on its last legs and Jeramy being a piece of poo poo who writes for The Sun just has allowed Amazon to eject from a project that wasn’t delivering.

More James May stuff thanks Jeffy B.

James May is doing a lot of good stuff, his series "Our Man In Japan" and "Our Man in Italy" are both really good, plus his independent car miniseries "Cars of the People"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

The problem with schtick is that it pollutes the well. Even if it's not who you are IRL, it attracts those types of people to your circle. Enough of them push out the people who remember who you were. Then it's the steep slope of falling into your character.

Seen a lot in the old WWF circles. It was called "living the gimmick" and it wasn't a good thing.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 20, 2023

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CommieGIR posted:

James May is doing a lot of good stuff, his series "Our Man In Japan" and "Our Man in Italy" are both really good, plus his independent car miniseries "Cars of the People"

I like James but Guy Martin's series Our Guy in Japan was better. The sword guy James goes to watch make a sword? Guy actually helps that same chap make one and the old fella who's been forging them for 70 odd years says he'd be happy to train him up and have him essentially take over the work. If you can understand what he's saying his shows are really good watching.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Our Man in X is nice to look at but it's simultaneously too shallow and filled with nonsense(that steals time from interesting stuff). Being an Italian, there is a shitloads of interesting places that got skipped to make time for stuff that "looked fun" in the mind of script writers only(like the nonsensical part with the juventus soccer player). His previous series on wines done with Oz was the correct amount of nonsense and interesting places.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like how all of the discussion of top gear is "Clarkson sucks poo poo" and "James May is dreamy" and not a single mention of the third little weasely guy

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

I like how all of the discussion of top gear is "Clarkson sucks poo poo" and "James May is dreamy" and not a single mention of the third little weasely guy

Cause Hammond shows are on discovery+ and traffic is far more scarce than Prime Video.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Cause Hammond shows are on discovery+ and traffic is far more scarce than Prime Video.

It just isn't very performant. Even with low traffic it has a habit of crashing and burning in spectacular fashion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

...and Hammond is just there...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I've watched some of Hammonds stuff and he's....a little out there as a presenter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah Hammond is a nice guy I suppose but his content is super boring.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Engineering Connections was pretty good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Hammond was in the news today because apparently his daughter is worried they won't be able to afford KFC if he doesn't get some work soon which is as hilarious as it is tone deaf. Hammond was just the 3rd person in the show, I don't think anyone actively dislikes the guy but likewise nobody actually cares much either.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

eh, i dislike Hammond for the whole mercilessly making GBS threads on Mexico thing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hammond made news today, but not the good kind like you want

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hammond always seemed like that mate you have that would do anything anyone told them too because if they didn’t they were a chicken. Which is why he did all the dumb poo poo and kept getting injured.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I agree vaguely with Steward Lee on Richard Hammond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

Hahahah oh i shouldn't laugh at that, serious face Hahahaha

Not with regard to him dieing though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Clarkson at it again, using the same boring chud attack lines on education and trans people. The man is absolutely not playing a part on the show and is every bit that dumb old bigoted (c-word in here for effect, thanks) relation you wish never got invited to family events.

https://twitter.com/TabitaSurge/status/1617094763416633344?t=WJr-1pf4c8-6zb6PWRCcHQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TabitaSurge/status/1617096643404509185?t=67SLwvEG64_Yv_Xb6MfrlQ&s=19

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Large Testicles posted:

eh, i dislike Hammond for the whole mercilessly making GBS threads on Mexico thing

May didn't do too well there either, with his joke about Mexican food being "a plate of refried sick".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Clarkson at it again

gently caress that guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Jesus it just gets worse and worse every time.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Trans people, pronouns, Islamophobia, and Greta Thunberg. Remarkable efficiency in hitting most of the chud talking points in just one column.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just another lead-brained boomer fading into the sunset, making sure to be as lovely as possible to as many people he's never met, while living in unbelievable luxury.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just Winging It posted:

Trans people, pronouns, Islamophobia, and Greta Thunberg. Remarkable efficiency in hitting most of the chud talking points in just one column.

Amazon just cancelled one of his series, wonder if that broke his brain a bit more.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CommieGIR posted:

Plus his The Toys That Made Us or whatever it was called.

Agreed on Guy Martin's Our Guy In series. India was a good one. The Boat That Guy Built is also pretty interesting.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

IDK if it actually means anything but on Finnegan's most recent video he got a signed NOFX flag from a fan that he was stupid happy about and was like, "They're one of my favorite bands."

It could totally be a "RATM is my favorite band" from Paul Ryan thing but I'd like to think good things about Finn.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

IDK if it actually means anything but on Finnegan's most recent video he got a signed NOFX flag from a fan that he was stupid happy about and was like, "They're one of my favorite bands."

It could totally be a "RATM is my favorite band" from Paul Ryan thing but I'd like to think good things about Finn.

he grew up in southern california during the 90s

he's basically legally obligated to like punk/pop punk

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

ishikabibble posted:

he grew up in southern california during the 90s

he's basically legally obligated to like punk/pop punk

I mean i get that, but NOFX is also like stupid progressive and I'd like to think if you'd say you're a huge fan of them in 2023 still, it should mean something.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

idk, I always get the impression that Finn and his crew are the type that need to take down their Trump 2024 flags before filming in one of their shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Lol

https://twitter.com/richardbrunning/status/1625064684184281089