Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Her tenant has to pay $100 more on their rent and she's whining that she has to pay $11 more dollars on the mortgage. :qq:

The very obvious point is that she’s not even charging the tenant the increase that she herself has to pay, and that increases in rent can have some other cause beyond the landlord being a greedy piece of poo poo. To spell the math out: she has to pay 111 more dollars on the mortgage, while the tenant’s rent has only gone up by 100, yet complete morons would treat her like Scrooge McDuck for raising the rent.

In order to be a Good Person™ she should just keep the rents flat on lease renewal into perpetuity, forever ignoring any external factors that would justify or even necessitate an increase.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We don't know what she's charging for rent though, or her actual costs. Like, is she charging $1200 and her costs are now $1111? Or is she charging $3k and her costs are similar?

I'd like to see receipts before passing full judgement.

Without receipts I will make assumptions.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Always assume the worst about landlords.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Oh no don't post the magreaux dog

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Why hasn't the police brought in that dog for questioning?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

King Carnivore posted:

The very obvious point is that she’s not even charging the tenant the increase that she herself has to pay, and that increases in rent can have some other cause beyond the landlord being a greedy piece of poo poo. To spell the math out: she has to pay 111 more dollars on the mortgage, while the tenant’s rent has only gone up by 100, yet complete morons would treat her like Scrooge McDuck for raising the rent.

In order to be a Good Person™ she should just keep the rents flat on lease renewal into perpetuity, forever ignoring any external factors that would justify or even necessitate an increase.

Are you defending landlords because your rent will go up if you don't

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Let he who is without tenants cast the first stone

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

don't defend landlords

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

very bad dog

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
raising your rent without providing more services is nonsense. it's not the tenants' problem that you gambled on interest rates and lost. you don't have a right to be shielded from all your losses by stealing from your tenants.

ALAB

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

King Carnivore posted:

My brother in Christ, she is paying an extra 11$ and then tenant is paying an extra $100. It’s also extremely possible that even eating the full $111 increase that she would still be making a profit after making the mortgage payment.

This is also ignoring the obvious that mega profit or not the mortgage payments aren’t just disappearing into the ether to be lost, she owns the loving house at the end of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Besides property taxes other things go up each year. Gas, water, electricity, phone/internet and garbage. It’s not unreasonable to assume these could add up to a hundred or very close to. But her complaining at all is pretty silly because she’s using that money to pay principal on her property so she’s always going to come out ahead of her tenants.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

King Carnivore posted:

This is good content but it should be in the form of a picture.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This is good content but it should be in the form of a picture.

This is bad content and should be in the form of a picture.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Rent-seeking and capitalism has so thoroughly broken people's brains that they are arguing in favor of a landlord getting someone to pay their mortgage and then complaining about it. Oh boo hoo won't someone think of the landlords they have it so tuff

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah unless I'm missing something, it seems like her bill went up $111, so she raised her tenant's rent by $100 and is still complaining that she has to pay the remaining $11.

She's still turning a profit (she explicitly says she's making less money :qq:)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Her tenantS have to pay 100 extra

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

She's paying a TAX DEDUCTIBLE $11 more to keep someone from owning their own home. The people living there are now $100 further away from being able to get a deposit up for their own home every single time they hand her cash.

Verdict: Guillotine.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I can think of 3 reasons her mortgage payment went up, and none of them should elicit sympathy:

1. She has a variable rate mortgage. She would be charging her tenants more for her own bad financial decisions.
2. Her property taxes have gone up. Her property value has probably gone up, so her bottom line is fine and should definitely stop whining.
3. Her insurance payments went up. She's either paying too much (see #1) or she was under-insured before (bad landlord) - or her property value has gone up by a lot (see #2).

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Like gently caress. She has an asset at the end of it. She's getting a net $11 a month less for an asset that is almost certainly appreciating faster than that. She should tighten her belt, stop buying coffees and sell her properties and try living like a normal person for a while rather than a god drat drain on society.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Rent-seeking is immoral behavior. Full stop.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

King Carnivore posted:

I don't despise landlords, and I'm willing to believe they actually serve a purpose in society (not everyone *wants* to own a home, so they need to rent from *someone*), but your assumption that every investor deserves to never, ever, ever lose a single penny of profit on their investment is silly. Is she still profiting off her investment?

If this magnanimous soul is providing rent at exactly the cost of her mortgage, then yes, by all means, she shouldn't have to pay the difference out of pocket, and should raise the rent.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:wrong:

And if anyone is going to provide housing, it should be the government. Any income they generate from this housing should be used for other public goods.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bring back the cursed image rule plz

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
(crossing my arms) No, the tiktok screenshot wound me up into a self-righteous fury and I'm going to make it everyone's problem

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/poptepipic/status/1616616218026205186

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
This should be standard. But it should be a rotating laughing animated skull, and it should be playing a short laughing.wav file on repeat.

The internet has for too long forgotten it roots!!!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Should be a tootin’ mr. bones

too spoopy

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Bring back the cursed image rule plz

I just had a pizza with an outer crust like that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
So thoughtful, they wasted a ton of money on hiring Sting to entertain big-wigs days prior.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I want everyone who writes positive articles about layoffs to experience Bij

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I can think of 3 reasons her mortgage payment went up, and none of them should elicit sympathy:

1. She has a variable rate mortgage. She would be charging her tenants more for her own bad financial decisions.
2. Her property taxes have gone up. Her property value has probably gone up, so her bottom line is fine and should definitely stop whining.
3. Her insurance payments went up. She's either paying too much (see #1) or she was under-insured before (bad landlord) - or her property value has gone up by a lot (see #2).

Or like us, you had a fixed rate that's coming to term in the worst possible time for high interest rates, so when you renew it goes sky high. Yaaaay. (I think maybe its not the same in the States, but in the UK its only fixed for a set term).

We actually let our flat, because we wanted to move nearer ailing grandparents. We let it to someone on benefits, because no one will rent to them, and we did it in a way where we're not even quite covering our rent here, to be fair. With the interest rates being what they are, we just legit can't afford it and will have to kick out our tenant.

You know, or raise rent by a grand. Either way is utter poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm lucky that I renewed mine a couple years ago when poo poo was low as gently caress. Hopefully rates go back down in a year or two

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

!Klams posted:

Or like us, you had a fixed rate that's coming to term in the worst possible time for high interest rates, so when you renew it goes sky high. Yaaaay. (I think maybe its not the same in the States, but in the UK its only fixed for a set term).

30 year fixed rate is the default in the states.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Yea...if I went into a bathroom and saw this crap I'm just going to use your guest / hand / bath towel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Liquid Chicken posted:

Yea...if I went into a bathroom and saw this crap I'm just going to use your guest / hand / bath towel.

That is my guest / hand / bath towel :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Liquid Chicken posted:

why wouldn't you just get a bidet