Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

As a kid I thought ash trays were rear end trays. Made sense; it's where you put cigarette butts :shrug:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
When Americans talk about "wiring" money, or "sending a wire", they just mean a bank transfer. It always seemed more complicated than that in films and tv.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rollick posted:

When Americans talk about "wiring" money, or "sending a wire", they just mean a bank transfer. It always seemed more complicated than that in films and tv.

it used to be/can be, if you don't have someone's bank details. Western Union is the classic and they make it a bit of a hassle (need a cashiers check, need id, etc)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InediblePenguin posted:

My doctor pronounces larynx as larnyx every time....

This seems MORE difficult to say.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

This seems MORE difficult to say.

What did you think all those hours in doctor school went into?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Illegible handwriting?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

rollick posted:

'Bank transfer' means some context dependent payment network. In Europe, it's probably going to mean a system specific to that country or group of participating countries with no reach beyond that. In the US, it would typically mean the ACH payment network, or something newer like Zelle payment network, which also won't reach outside the US. 'Wiring money' doesn't really mean anything specific either. Internationally, it typically means SWIFT. Domestically in the US, it usually means CHIPS or Fedwire.

There's nothing really qualitatively different about any of the networks, they're all just different combinations of finality/settlement speed/cost/etc... The ones that get called 'wiring money' are typically more final, faster, and more expensive so they get used for big transactions like buying a house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

'Bank transfer' means some context dependent payment network. In Europe, it's probably going to mean a system specific to that country or group of participating countries with no reach beyond that.

And where doesn't it mean that? What system can transfer funds beyond the reach of said system?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Blockchain solves this. :smug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can.

Give me your money

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Outkast's "So Fresh, So Clean" is from the same album as "Ms Jackson".

I'm finally getting around to listening to the whole album, to see if I like it, before I buy it. So far so good.

e: ha! apparently it's literally the track just before, too.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Outkast's "So Fresh, So Clean" is from the same album as "Ms Jackson".

I'm finally getting around to listening to the whole album, to see if I like it, before I buy it. So far so good.

e: ha! apparently it's literally the track just before, too.

Stankonia... good?
Next you'll be telling us about this young up and comer called Eminem or that Radiohead has radically changed their sound on Kid A.

You have so much music to catch up on!

Edit: And if you're just getting around to Stankonia now, I mean that last bit sincerely.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

stratdax posted:

Stankonia... good?
Next you'll be telling us about this young up and comer called Eminem or that Radiohead has radically changed their sound on Kid A.

You have so much music to catch up on!

Edit: And if you're just getting around to Stankonia now, I mean that last bit sincerely.

I only ever heard those two aforementioned songs.

I've recently been going back to "oh hey that song from 20 years ago was great, was the rest of the album any good?" with mixed results. The rest of Stankonia seems pretty good, very listenable, but not as phenomenal as those two tracks (though maybe that's just due to familiarity). And I can't remember who it was, but there was another group who sadly seemed to be a one-hit wonder.

On the other hand, I finally went and listened to the rest of Age of Winters by The Sword, who I only know from Freya being included in Guitar Hero 2, and it turns out I love the rest of the album just as much.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

I only ever heard those two aforementioned songs.

I've recently been going back to "oh hey that song from 20 years ago was great, was the rest of the album any good?" with mixed results.

That's because you're 20 years removed from the context of the music when it was created. Music is a living reflection of the surrounding culture (and trends happening in the music scene at that specific time) and when you listen to a groundbreaking (or even, of the time) album after the fact, suddenly it doesn't seem so groundbreaking/of the time anymore. Those tracks on Stankonia that you bounced off might have been completely fresh and trend-setting and unlike anything else at the time. But because music has been influenced by it and iterated on it so much you don't really see what's so special.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Probably, yeah :shrug:

But OTOH I went back to listen to Fear of a Black Tangent by Busdriver, and Power In Numbers and Quality Control by Jurassic Five, and British Steel and Painkiller by Judas Priest by pretty much the same process, and I loved them. So maybe, maybe not.

EE: at any rate: yeah, I am literally catching up on music I missed out on. I didn't buy a lot of CDs back in the day, and I refused to Napster music. These days I have the money to spare, so I buy music off of Bandcamp or Qobuz or failing that iTunes, because that gets the highest percentage of the money to the artist.

EEE: "Jurassic Park"?! What in the ungodly gently caress? :cripes:

I'm going to blame my phone for that

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Jan 21, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I know so little that I don’t even know what Stuff I Just Figured Out is ridiculous enough to post

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"author" is the root word of "authorise"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gonna authorize me a book someday

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I got hundreds of cavities in my early to mid twenties because I didn't know I was supposed to brush the whole tooth, not just the tip.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

InediblePenguin posted:

My doctor pronounces larynx as larnyx every time....

freeedr posted:

One of our providers mispronounces so many things but I always notice how he can’t say “dyspnea” and says “dipsnea” instead

I wonder if there is a word for this phenomena, because it isn't just a mistake a few people make. Most times I hear the word nuclear, they pronounce it "new-cue-ler" (that isn't just W. Bush), or jewelry as "ju-la-ree", or realtor/realty as "reel-a-tor/reel-a-tee". Of course everyone knows about "ath-a-lete". These pronunciations used to bother me when I young man with a linguistic stick up my rear end, but now I celebrate these kinds of quirks, especially since there is a reason for it.

Does still kinda bug me when fentanyl is pronounced "fent-in-ALL"

Edit: I realize the kind of mispronunciation I'm talking about is different than the ones I quoted lmao. Sorry about that

caspergers has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Jan 22, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

I got hundreds of cavities in my early to mid twenties because I didn't know I was supposed to brush the whole tooth, not just the tip.

Holy poo poo.

(Ur teeth, that is.)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Jan 22, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

We’ve all fallen for the ol’ “just the tip” once or twice

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

caspergers posted:

These pronunciations used to bother me when I young man with a linguistic stick up my rear end, but now I celebrate these kinds of quirks, especially since there is a reason for it.
They still bug me, but what can you do? :shrug:

One of my "favorites" is "foil-age" (foliage). And the one in your spoiler is especially grating when you hear it a thousand times on Intervention, even/often out of the mouths of trained interventionists. :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not usually big on prescriptivism because ultimately if a word gets mispronounced long enough, it'll just become the new word and people will be none the wiser (see "what" vs Old English "hwat"). But the one that actually bothers me is when people use "ambivalent" to mean "apathetic" or impassive. That's because ambivalent actually means "strong feelings in opposition," which is difficult to communicate in a single word while there are many ways in English to say you don't care.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When I point out someone just used a word that means literally the opposite of what they were trying to say and that's why I was confused, they always act like I'm a pedant instead of just trying to figure out what they're saying.

It's like getting mad I gave you a screwdriver when you said you needed to screw something in, and saying "obviously I meant a nail, you pedant, i just said screw"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I know somebody who thought that brushing your teeth was literally just a cosmetic thing so she only did it in the morning, and only if she was going out that day

6 root canals and a 15k dentist bill, no insurance

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not usually big on prescriptivism because ultimately if a word gets mispronounced long enough, it'll just become the new word and people will be none the wiser (see "what" vs Old English "hwat"). But the one that actually bothers me is when people use "ambivalent" to mean "apathetic" or impassive. That's because ambivalent actually means "strong feelings in opposition," which is difficult to communicate in a single word while there are many ways in English to say you don't care.

Am I missing something?

merriam-webster posted:

having or showing simultaneous and contradictory attitudes or feelings toward something or someone

Because that still works for "I can't make a decision either way, I've got feelings on both" doesn't it?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

exquisite tea posted:

ambivalent actually means "strong feelings in opposition,"

To be clear, because I misunderstood what you were saying at first, it means strong feelings in opposition to each other, not strong feelings in opposition to the idea.

It means you have mixed feelings or mixed emotions about an idea, and relates to being apathetic about two choices because both cause indecisiveness. Yeah, the one is more nuanced but it's easy to see where the confusion would come from when both result in "I don't know, you pick."

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jan 22, 2023

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

When I point out someone just used a word that means literally the opposite of what they were trying to say and that's why I was confused, they always act like I'm a pedant instead of just trying to figure out what they're saying.

It's like getting mad I gave you a screwdriver when you said you needed to screw something in, and saying "obviously I meant a nail, you pedant, i just said screw"

exquisite tea posted:

This is pretty much what's been happening with the word "apparently". Most people use it to mean supposedly/allegedly, but it actually means obviously; apparent means clear, which is obvious enough. Now this may have started as ironic or possibly hyerbolic (which we all know happened to "literally"), but I've seen it used as supposedly dating back to the 50s, in which case it's almost entirely lost its original meaning; this must be what happened the words awful and terrific.

But I'm not up my own rear end about it, cuz I use apparently as supposedly. Hell, one of my stage jokes I use it as supposedly, mostly because "supposedly" will sound pretentious to an audience.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
a troglodyte is not the same thing as a trilobite. i thought calling someone a troglodyte was comparing them to an ancient little bug creature. i guess i thought this because "troglobites" are animals that live in caves. a trifecta of confusion for me

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

caspergers posted:

I wonder if there is a word for this phenomena, because it isn't just a mistake a few people make. Most times I hear the word nuclear, they pronounce it "new-cue-ler" (that isn't just W. Bush), or jewelry as "ju-la-ree", or realtor/realty as "reel-a-tor/reel-a-tee". Of course everyone knows about "ath-a-lete". These pronunciations used to bother me when I young man with a linguistic stick up my rear end, but now I celebrate these kinds of quirks, especially since there is a reason for it.

Does still kinda bug me when fentanyl is pronounced "fent-in-ALL"

Edit: I realize the kind of mispronunciation I'm talking about is different than the ones I quoted lmao. Sorry about that

Nu-cue-ler is a real common one but I don't know about these other examples. I don't hear people say real-a-tor or ju-la-ree or ath-a-leet. But I also live in the PNW, which I've heard some people say is a place in America that has "no accent." I'm no linguist and this can probably be debunked immediately, but I will say that I find it striking how little flair our manner of speaking has. When I think of "ath-a-leet," what comes to mind is a kind of lazy sounding drawl, like a Texan accent; not so much a mispronunciation but just a flair of the accent. I don't know, though :shrug:

I try to pronounce things correctly, I've been anal about it my whole life, but there are one or two words I just cannot ever pronounce correctly without it sounding extremely strained and awkward. Like "asked." If I try to articulate the SK and the D, it almost sounds like two syllables. I'll always just say "ast"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

caspergers posted:

This is pretty much what's been happening with the word "apparently". Most people use it to mean supposedly/allegedly, but it actually means obviously; apparent means clear, which is obvious enough. Now this may have started as ironic or possibly hyerbolic (which we all know happened to "literally"), but I've seen it used as supposedly dating back to the 50s, in which case it's almost entirely lost its original meaning; this must be what happened the words awful and terrific.

But I'm not up my own rear end about it, cuz I use apparently as supposedly. Hell, one of my stage jokes I use it as supposedly, mostly because "supposedly" will sound pretentious to an audience.

I always took "apparently" to mean "in light of recent information". As in, it appears that this is the case. Sometimes snidely implying that information is dubious.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sometimes you're implying the surface reading is so clear it renders further considerations unnecessary, sometimes you're implying the surface reading says one thing, but you're not definite there isn't more to it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Apparently.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Allegedly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Brawnfire posted:

Apparently.

https://youtu.be/FEs12v_9NX4

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I often use "apparently" in the context of "it has become apparent to me", like apparently that thing is called an aglet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I use the synonym of apparently, no doy while I flap my hand against my chest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Len posted:

Am I missing something?

Because that still works for "I can't make a decision either way, I've got feelings on both" doesn't it?

Being either ambivalent or apathetic can make you feel indecisive, but it's the way in which you arrive at that state that defines their individual meanings. Ambivalent literally means "strong (feelings) on all sides," which implies that your thoughts are clashing with each other, whereas apathetic signifies impassivity or a lack of emotion.

Ambivalent is a cool word to me because we don't really have many ways in English to describe a state of highly mixed emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Conflicted.