Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)
best year for Youtube AMVs?
This poll is closed.
2005 38 25.68%
2006 20 13.51%
2007 19 12.84%
2008 16 10.81%
2009 15 10.14%
2010 1 0.68%
2011 9 6.08%
2012 6 4.05%
2013 2 1.35%
2014 3 2.03%
2015 0 0%
2016 1 0.68%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 0 0%
2020 1 0.68%
2021 1 0.68%
2022 16 10.81%
Total: 148 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm absolutely freaking twisted, sometimes I'll search a genre on mangadex and just browse it from earliest publication for new stuff. If I'm feeling especially juiced I'll hit "random page". That's how I found out abt Minamk Q-TA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in 2022 i watched 3 anime seasons (sakura quest, aggretsuko s4, vivy flourite eyes song), so far i have watched 2 this month (bookworm s3, bakarina s2) perhaps i will actually watch more anime this year than can fit on one hand

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Ohtori Akio posted:

i miss the thread for posting normal
||(Save Yourselves!!!)||

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Larry Parrish posted:

Got any other good poo poo for me to jack off to op?
by the ratings metric, mangadex users certainly do NOT like getting off that stuff

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Coaaab posted:

yet it's still rated above a 6.00 on mangadex

relatedly, the ten lowest rated japanese manga on mdex:

lmao gal cleaning

those two series that dethrone it from the Worst must be exceptionally bad

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I remember one time (a long time ago), I checked what the lowest-rated anime and manga were on MAL. It was about what you'd expect, but nothing was ever just 1 out of 10 (the lowest possible score you could give); there were 3s and 4s, sometimes even an errant 7 or 8. You'd also get 10s but I feel like those people were trolling.

Those middling scores though. I wanna know (or maybe I don't) the thought process of someone who comes out the other side of one of these and goes "Eh, 4 outta 10; pretty mid," or "Definitely an 8, but some things hold it back from true greatness."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

kirbysuperstar posted:

crunchyroll-hime fix your poo poo

I've had to manually turn on subtitles in every episode today. Whata poo poo show.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Bad Seafood posted:

Those middling scores though. I wanna know (or maybe I don't) the thought process of someone who comes out the other side of one of these and goes "Eh, 4 outta 10; pretty mid," or "Definitely an 8, but some things hold it back from true greatness."
It just goes back to people's worst/darkest fantasies, which everyone who has ever been on the internet is aware of by now, but hopefully not within someone they know

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Coaaab posted:

It just goes back to people's worst/darkest fantasies, which everyone who has ever been on the internet is aware of by now, but hopefully not within someone they know
I can believe that for the more obviously fetishistic works, but every now and then I'd get a series which just seemed inoffensively trite and poorly put together, which somehow still convinced someone to give it an 8 or 9. Maybe there's more to it that I just wouldn't understand without watching it, some darker fantasy not immediately self-evident from the description, art, and negative reviews; but someone got something out of it. I'd be interested to know what.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To put myself on the spot, while I wouldn't file this under the same category of thing, I really liked Five Centimeters Per Second, which a lot of people tell me they found "Beautiful but boring." It's not some tasteless show whose very name is verboten, but it's the closest I've personally come to liking an anime a decent number of people have looked at me funny for.

But when I first saw Five Centimeters Per Second, I was going through the prolonged mourning period that sometimes accompanies a messy breakup, so watching something where the message was "Sometimes you need to let go of the past, or you'll miss the present that's right in front of you," stirred something within me and broke me out of my depression. If I'd watched it under different circumstances, I might've found it "Beautiful but boring" too, but instead I was in the exact right time in my life and frame of mind to really get something out of it. So yeah, I liked it, even if a lot of people I talked to don't.

Again, not quite the same thing we've been discussing, but I wonder sometimes if there's a story there when someone gives a middling show everyone else seemed to dismiss a good score.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

To put myself on the spot, while I wouldn't file this under the same category of thing, I really liked Five Centimeters Per Second, which a lot of people tell me they found "Beautiful but boring." It's not some tasteless show whose very name is verboten, but it's the closest I've personally come to liking an anime a decent number of people have looked at me funny for.

I guess I could see why there'd be mixed reactions but those people are fools.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Gal Cleaning absolutely deserves to be on that shitlist. I don't think I've ever seen another author torpedo their career in such a magnitude-ten quake of slimy pettiness like that guy did.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo Gal Cleaning has drama?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
iirc for some reason in the last few chapters it spontaneously dives into an arc about someone getting raped. like it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the story, there was no set up for it to explore anything like that, and its approach was extremely tasteless

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Bocchi btw that was a cute lil season.

now to catch up on the manga

kinda in the mood to watch some more anime throw me some recs from the past couple years i havent kept up with poo poo

K-on

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

I can believe that for the more obviously fetishistic works, but every now and then I'd get a series which just seemed inoffensively trite and poorly put together, which somehow still convinced someone to give it an 8 or 9. Maybe there's more to it that I just wouldn't understand without watching it, some darker fantasy not immediately self-evident from the description, art, and negative reviews; but someone got something out of it. I'd be interested to know what.

i think its either like you said people just clicking with something because of some random reason like mood or not having seen other stuff in the genre, or theyre the kind of person that is ok with consuming complete garbage for whatever reason (theyre young, are a racoon etc)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think what you have to remember is that a lot of people tend to avoid the extremely high or low scores as well, so a 4/10 for one person means kinda mid, and for another person it means “kinda bad”

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

i miss the thread for posting normal

i step out for one weekend & people destroy this thread. this is on me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The Colonel posted:

iirc for some reason in the last few chapters it spontaneously dives into an arc about someone getting raped. like it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the story, there was no set up for it to explore anything like that, and its approach was extremely tasteless
the mangaka hopped on the gal express in a bid for popularity, no one (in japan) bit, had a complete professional meltdown, and no one (in japan) still cared

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am normal, and I am Calm.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

symbolic posted:

Hope you've learned your lesson

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if you step out for one weekend, dig two graves

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if you meet the moderator on the road, kill him

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My posts are very normal

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Happy birthday Kasukasu

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

symbolic posted:

hope you're ready for the post-apocalyptic arc

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I hope it's like the ykk post-apocalypse

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Coaaab posted:

I hope it's like the ykk post-apocalypse

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im hoping for more of a Dead Demon style apocalypse, personally

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

im hoping for more of a Dead Demon style apocalypse, personally
that's very small-minded of you

think of the chance to go to a cafe to have a nice cup of coffee

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

that's very small-minded of you

think of the chance to go to a cafe to have a nice cup of coffee

i prefer ed 209 blasting my nutsack off as the alien starship reactor goes critical and evaporates the biosphere

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know if it's Canada or a test, but Crunchyroll is putting unskippable ads before shows now on my paid loving account.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If Netflix can do it I guess everyone can

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Back to traditional Canadian methods then

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Get a Plex server

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Back to traditional Canadian methods then

covering your computer in maple syrup?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

sorry. i say that with a large amount of love for canada. a lot. i went to canada when i was nine years old and enjoyed some very nice pancakes and they were definitely better than american pancakes. 100 percent for sure.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

sorry. i say that with a large amount of love for canada. a lot. i went to canada when i was nine years old and enjoyed some very nice pancakes and they were definitely better than american pancakes. 100 percent for sure.

Perhaps surprisingly the blue berry maple syrup my grandparents brought back from Florida is actually really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Get a Plex server

I need to reinstall a torrent client :canada: on my Mac first :v: