Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey, I'm vacillatin' over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

Being either ambivalent or apathetic can make you feel indecisive, but it's the way in which you arrive at that state that defines their individual meanings. Ambivalent literally means "strong (feelings) on all sides," which implies that your thoughts are clashing with each other, whereas apathetic signifies impassivity or a lack of emotion.

Ambivalent is a cool word to me because we don't really have many ways in English to describe a state of highly mixed emotions.

I never realized that ambivalent had a specific meaning other than just not having a particular feeling one way or the other, interesting. Do I plan to change my usage of the word? Five minutes ago, I would've said I was ambivalent.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It doesn't mean strong (feelings) on all sides imo. It's refers to there being merit, significance (strength) to both sides of an argument. It says nothing about how strong any feelings need to be. You can be ambivalent and apathetic at the same time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dip Viscous posted:

I got hundreds of cavities in my early to mid twenties because I didn't know I was supposed to brush the whole tooth, not just the tip.

That’s like six cavities per tooth on average, and that’s only if still had every tooth in your mouth.

:psyduck:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

each contact surface between the teeth was like a metro station for branching cavities

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Platystemon posted:

That’s like six cavities per tooth on average, and that’s only if still had every tooth in your mouth.

:psyduck:

Stuff I can't believe I just figured out: forums user Dip Viscous is actually a shark.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

credburn posted:

I use the synonym of apparently, no doy while I flap my hand against my chest

i sometimes imagine that posters who use the r-word as an insult are making the hand gesture while they type

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

I don't hear people say real-a-tor or ju-la-ree or ath-a-leet.
Hell, Jaime Pressly currently plays a real-estate agent on network television, and she said "real-a-tor" her first few episodes. I don't think the affectation belonged to her character. And you'll often hear athletes say "ath-a-leet." This is not regional.

Now I'm wondering if one of my bugaboos, "vet-rin," came about due to overcorrecting "veteran."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

When I point out someone just used a word that means literally the opposite of what they were trying to say and that's why I was confused, they always act like I'm a pedant instead of just trying to figure out what they're saying.

It's like getting mad I gave you a screwdriver when you said you needed to screw something in, and saying "obviously I meant a nail, you pedant, i just said screw"

The one that annoys me is when people use the word "literally" when they literally mean "figuratively". :argh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm drawing a blank trying to think of a way to pronounce veteran that doesn't sound exactly the same as pronouncing vetrin. Certainly there's no such thing I've ever heard anywhere.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm drawing a blank trying to think of a way to pronounce veteran that doesn't sound exactly the same as pronouncing vetrin. Certainly there's no such thing I've ever heard anywhere.

That second e's there for a reason, buddy :toughguy:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That second e's there for a reason, buddy :toughguy:

And colonel doesn't have an r in there at all

Language is weird just let people pronounce things

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I first picked up on the ath-a-lete thing around 15 years ago on these forums. People in a PC hardware thread kept typing "Athalon" and I asked if they pronounced it that way too and the answer was yes.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Bed sheet ghosts are a thing because ghosts were depicted as returning wearing their burial shrouds, not as a weird way to try to simulate etherealness. :ms:

Actually the story behind it is pretty interesting, traditionally ghosts were described generally dressed as they had normally looked when they lived, but the burial shroud/bedsheet look became the cultural norm as an artistic shorthand for showing someone being a ghost in illustrations and plays - if they're dressed like normal people it's a lot harder to tell at a glance.

There are preserved reports from as a early as the mid 1700's of people terrorizing neighbourhoods by dressing up as spooky bed sheet ghosts, pretty cool. :ghost:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

I first picked up on the ath-a-lete thing around 15 years ago on these forums. People in a PC hardware thread kept typing "Athalon" and I asked if they pronounced it that way too and the answer was yes.

:chome:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Covski posted:

Actually the story behind it is pretty interesting, traditionally ghosts were described generally dressed as they had normally looked when they lived, but the burial shroud/bedsheet look became the cultural norm as an artistic shorthand for showing someone being a ghost in illustrations and plays - if they're dressed like normal people it's a lot harder to tell at a glance.

Ah, like ninjas in kabuki

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Covski posted:

Bed sheet ghosts are a thing because ghosts were depicted as returning wearing their burial shrouds, not as a weird way to try to simulate etherealness. :ms:

There are preserved reports from as a early as the mid 1700's of people terrorizing neighbourhoods by dressing up as spooky bed sheet ghosts, pretty cool. :ghost:

For MR James it was just a literally spooky pile of sheets.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Last night while I couldn't sleep, I looked up an old song whose lyrics I had floating around in my head.

It turns out it's Garnet from Steven Universe, featuring loving Ye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAD_5NWzM5g

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That song is so catchy and Estelle owns. It is the one song featuring shithead kanye that I still listen to.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Not five minutes before reading your post I was reading up on Sade on Wikipedia. Both she and Estelle released albums called "Lovers Rock". So there's that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't worry, she fixed her mistake later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1g_SOqGmI

This version still gets tons of radio play around here, but I haven't heard the original in years

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Last night while I couldn't sleep, I looked up an old song whose lyrics I had floating around in my head.

It turns out it's Garnet from Steven Universe, featuring loving Ye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAD_5NWzM5g

I'd love to hear Estelle duet with Afrikan Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kBcm-ls8Y

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hirayuki posted:

Hell, Jaime Pressly currently plays a real-estate agent on network television, and she said "real-a-tor" her first few episodes. I don't think the affectation belonged to her character.

The Netflix show "Santa Clarita Diet" pokes fun at this pronunciation. The main characters (Sheila and Joel) are a husband-wife Realtor team, who are used in competition with another husband-wife team.

Sheila and Joel pronounce it as "Real-a-tor" and the other two (one is Joel McHale, forget who the other is) always correct them that it's just Real-tor, and they argue that both are acceptable.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I started a Pitch Meeting about the/a new Clash of the Titans movie1 and the guy said "a remake of the 1981 movie clash of the titans". That movie with the stop-motion skeleton fight must have been remade once already in 1981 apparently.

This one, the ~1930s or 40s classic:

From the dawn of stop-motion cinema, alongside King Kong (1933).

Clash of the Titans was from 1981 the whole time. What I thought was the patina of an industry pioneer was actually just thin wood panelling, or possibly dust on the disc (figure 9a).

figure 9a - contemporary consumer release of the Film

1 Clash of the Titans Pitch Meeting on YourTube.com by Pitch Meeting LLC

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what the gently caress!!!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That first one was from 1963 and was a movie day staple at schools across the US in the 80s

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

That first one was from 1963 and was a movie day staple at schools across the US in the 80s

The 1963 film is Jason and the Argonauts, not Clash of the Titans. I suppose OP could have gotten the name of the one confused with the scene from the other, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The effects in both were created by Ray Harryhausen, who'd seen King Kong in the cinema back in '33 when he was 13 years old. He got his start in the industry around 1940 and was active for over 70 years until his death in 2013.

Here he is doing a cameo in the 2010 film Burk And Hare:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you like special effects or the history of you'd probably regard Harryhausen almost as a god.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Kantesu posted:

The 1963 film is Jason and the Argonauts, not Clash of the Titans. I suppose OP could have gotten the name of the one confused with the scene from the other, though.
In a nutshell, this apparently.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you like special effects or the history of you'd probably regard Harryhausen almost as a god.

Truth. He did all his stop-motion work by himself, never with a team. His work on Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger is still mindblowing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gun is good but the penis is bad, apparently!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Truth. He did all his stop-motion work by himself, never with a team. His work on Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger is still mindblowing.

His work was just astounding. There are a couple of good videos on his craft here, esp. the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO0Di-Iczuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQfXO5DkHQ

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The effects in both were created by Ray Harryhausen, who'd seen King Kong in the cinema back in '33 when he was 13 years old. He got his start in the industry around 1940 and was active for over 70 years until his death in 2013.

Jason and the Argonauts was one of my favorite movies as a kid and was responsible for my love for mythology in general. I did not realize any of this, but this is awesome.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I always adored Jason and the Argonauts, but the scenes with Talos frightened the absolute crap out of little me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo. I knew he'd worked in the industry for basically forever, but I wouldn't have guessed he did it for seven decades

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Harryhausen's best friend was Ray Bradbury who he met at an LA Science Fiction Society meeting in the 30s. They kind of worked on one movie together, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, which was based on Bradbury's short story, The Foghorn.

All of his movies are stunning,. 20 Million Miles to Earth is my personal favorite.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My dad showed me all the HH movies as a young kid so I definitely have a soft spot for Jason and the Argonauts as well as Sinbad.

Probably why I appreciate Evil Dead/Army of Darkness so much.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
Never really thought about it before, but there probably isn't someone in the back of the store punching holes in donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Harry and Hausen were two differnet people. Like a Powell and Pressburger thing