Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

She repeated herself like 4 or 5 times in a row, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

1) lmao

2) reminds me of this
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1563127781604872193

Is "repeat the same line over and over" the hot new thing in AAA gaming?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
They Forspoken now!
They Forspoken now?
They Forspoken now.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The writing there is not to my taste but Marvel still sells like gangbusters so somebody must like it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

big cummers ONLY posted:

The writing there is not to my taste but Marvel still sells like gangbusters so somebody must like it

Normies FTL

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

1) lmao

2) reminds me of this

roiland's logorrhea is a separate flavor of awful from marvel's compulsive wry detachment, but forespoken's not doing a very good job of copying the latter so there's probably some crossover

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is this the game where everyone was making fun of the dialog in the trailer?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Believe me I could write a way too long post about the seemingly well intentioned but ultimately harmful changes made from 1 to 2 but also to itself. Ubisoft’s ongoing development floundering didn’t help either.

1 and Watch Dogs 2 came out in the same year and something about both of them is a lightning in a bottle situation that ubisoft destroyed and will never be able to replicate again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kazil posted:

I see the $70 price tag is to support the loads and loads of professional writers.

*80€

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mystes posted:

Yeah. There was some hope that it was just a matter of a separate trailer production team going for a weird tone that wouldn't necessarily be reproduced ingame, but now it sure seems like that was on purpose and the whole game is like that. :psyduck:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mystes posted:

she says one of the worst lines from the trailer in this clip

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forespoken is a chained and sealed box frantically rattling around and in two days it's going to burst open

it has such sights to show us

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do zoomers like that type of writing maybe and all of us are just too old for it?

EDIT: I mean...someone must've thought that it was a good idea.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

forespoken is a chained and sealed box frantically rattling around and in two days it's going to burst open

it has such sights to show us
it opens with the main character in a courtroom for their third felony charge, who is told by the judge to look at court documents, which includes... her high school diploma and a picture of her as an orphaned baby

luminous has no idea how to organically tell a story

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Forspoken looks really stylish with the spell effects and the weird menu designs

like instead of gear you equip different magical nail polish, here's the menu for it

(sadly it still has the AAA gamedesign rot of randomly generated loot with "+3% to random stat" instead of being a smaller pool of actually interesting equipment to craft/discover/earn)

From the demo it seems like it is basically just one button combat though which sounds extremely lame. If you equip the pebble throw then all you're doing is mashing r2 to throw pebbles over and over while damage numbers pop out of baddies

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Do zoomers like that type of writing maybe and all of us are just too old for it?

It's Whedonism so it's all Millennials in their 30s and 40s writing this poo poo 4 to 5 years ago if you account for AAA production time lines.

edit: regurgitated stuff a late Boomer was writing to sound youthful to Millennials

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goons' blind obsession with generational divides will never stop being tiresome.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

Goons' blind obsession with generational divides will never stop being tiresome.
I didn't know that goons controlled every media outlet

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm contemplating the sentence "open world tropes like heaving collecting and extra quests, but you can make it palpable."

You're a puke collector, but you can put some feeling into your work.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Mordja posted:

Ugh. Being cynical about the prescriptive nature of generational divides is so gen-x.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

The only game I've seen do quippy writing actually well is Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

As someone with a teenager, this dialog is way too realistic.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

I tried it on the free trial and while the gameplay seemed...okay, the performance was god awful. I couldn't not get stable 60fps no matter what.

Weird, it performed better than NFS Heat for me. (PC AMD CPU, nVidia GPU)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

that game is going to be 50% off in the summer sale

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Could I be any more forspoken?!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

More like, Fart-spunk-en.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a shame that Forspoken looks like it's going to be trash, because I feel like there's room for a game to play as a wizard with spells that actually feel good.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

The only game I've seen do quippy writing actually well is Guardians of the Galaxy.

GotG was a marvel movie with a game installed in it. I haven't seen most of them so I never got tired of them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The magic nail polish thing is pretty neat. Maybe some better game can copy that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

kazil posted:

that game is going to be 50% off in the summer sale

too optimistic

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a shame that Forspoken looks like it's going to be trash, because I feel like there's room for a game to play as a wizard with spells that actually feel good.

Yeah, it’s a shame. From what I’ve played of the demo it seemed it’s all style and no substance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

cuff is sus

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I did think it was a little overindulgent when Frey said "Wow I'm literally dead no cap" on the killscreen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked the demo, but yet I still feel uneasy about the game. There are so many red flags, and it feels like its going to turn out the demo was the best slice of the game that Square could put together, and the rest of it is a disaster. It's bad enough that Forspoken shown two years ago, and then what was shown in the demo, is a wildly different game fidelity wise. Like, this is worst than Watch_Dogs E3 footage vs. actual release. Yet the game struggles on even the PlayStation 5.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fingers crossed for dragon's dogma 2.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

exquisite tea posted:

I did think it was a little overindulgent when Frey said "Wow I'm literally dead no cap" on the killscreen.

I respawned and she said "So...that just happened."

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

deep dish peat moss posted:

1) lmao

2) reminds me of this

I would argue that the Forespoken clip is worse because at least the High on Life clip is an in-gameplay thing you can easily walk away from, from what I could tell. That Forespoken clip was literally a cutscene that they make you watch (Putting aside if cutscenes are skipable).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s got kind of David Cage vibe. The slightly uncanny facial expressions and stilted speech.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

fingers crossed for dragon's dogma 2.

I don't normally like Capcom titles, but Dragon's Dogma 2 is a game I am positive i'll lose my poo poo over. Unless its development turns out like Deep Down (still waiting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally, I would find it a bit more cute, if still cringe but at least nomoreso than usual, if it were just some gameplay banter while you are doing the tutorial and if it was half as long.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 23, 2023