Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game will be really, really good in a couple years when there are 8-12 classes to choose from and they got around to fixing most of the blatantly broken stuff where they added or removed a extra 0 from some code, plus they never said WHICH december crafting would be fully added in.

On another note, any enjoyers of the heavy swords/tactical axes/combat axes out there that can recommend which of the many, many marks are the "good" ones and which should be ignored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kith posted:

this may come as a surprise to you but not everyone plays a game for the same reasons

Pretty sure fun is the predominant reason to partake in a form of entertainment.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Stanley Pain posted:

Pretty sure fun is the predominant reason to partake in a form of entertainment.

oh yeah? then explain the dark souls series

Passburger
May 4, 2013

mexi posted:

Masochism is fun!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another note, any enjoyers of the heavy swords/tactical axes/combat axes out there that can recommend which of the many, many marks are the "good" ones and which should be ignored?

The Mk8 combat axe is good, most of its attacks are headshots (excepting the first heavy attack) so although it doesn't do much collateral damage, it kills single targets really well. Combine it with a flamer or braced autogun for handling hordes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mexi posted:

My favourite part about the souls series is watching everyone say how hard it is and then watching my friend slam every point he gets into health and just meatheading his way through it.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Game will be really, really good in a couple years when there are 8-12 classes to choose from and they got around to fixing most of the blatantly broken stuff where they added or removed a extra 0 from some code, plus they never said WHICH december crafting would be fully added in.

All the heavy swords are great because you just spam the light attack and cleave 8 guys at a time - you can't go wrong

Antax Mk V Combat Axe is the one good vs hordes because it comes with cleave stat and with Brutal Momentum it gets wild; the other combat axes (Mk 2 Rashad and Mk VIII Achylys) are better vs single target which is good on like a flamethrower build

Tactical Axes are similar enough that you won't go wrong; I find the Mk IV is pretty balanced on ease of use

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

ijyt posted:

Yes devs should crunch more. :nallears:

ijyt posted:

I have more issues about the outrage that they went on holiday to spend time with families and recover from the past year of making the game.

ijyt posted:

Nah it's definitely a finished game IMO.

Better a fuckwit than lumped in with the entitled gamer crowd that have no concept of publisher deadlines, and generally the business side of videogames.

If no-ones complaining the went on holiday why do they keep bringing it up, would honestly prefer your lot stick to complaining in the scheduled darktide tweet comment section, or reddit.

Qmass posted:

ijyt, you are being a fuckwit and everyone thinks less of you every time you post

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Devs taking vacations is fine, great even! Everyone deserves a decent amount of vacation time and no crunch. Whats not okay is taking money for a game with missing features, tons of bugs, performance problems out the rear end and pushing that game to release in the christmas shopping window knowing full well that the game is broken.

Whats not okay is promising fixes and features only to stonewall people when those features and fixes dont appear.

The gameplay may be fun but there just isnt enough of it. Not enough maps, not enough classes, not enough variety. Just look at their previous games, the content is on par with (maybe even worse than) VT1.

If you like the gameplay, great! Just dont defend companies / corporations for doing hosed up poo poo. They are not your friends and see you as income, nothing else. Hold them goddamn accountable for gently caress-ups, or they will keep loving up.

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 22, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Performance problems, with a couple of exceptions, seem to have been wildly improved since they released. I used to crash every mission, now I don't at all.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You can enjoy a game while being critical of it

You can praise a games successes while criticizing its shortfalls

You can wish devs were responsive, and planned their release date better, while also being glad they have good working conditions with lots of vacation time

The desire to lump an entire spectrum of opinions about Darktide into two camps, standing in opposition, is counter-productive and exhausting.

It's okay if you have no problems at all with Darktide. I think that's great. But it's okay for other people to have problems with it, and it doesn't mean they are FURIOUS, or want devs to crunch for months, or that they are entitled babies. Just try to pretend that people aren't assholes just for feeling differently about something.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 22, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

40 Proof Listerine posted:

All the heavy swords are great because you just spam the light attack and cleave 8 guys at a time - you can't go wrong
Specifically it's the heavy sword's light "vanguard" type attacks (check the weapon's inspect screen) that can hit 8 guys with very low damage dropoff, and the MkIX is the only one that's full vanguard on all its lights. The MkVI and VII mix in a couple "relentless" attacks which aren't bad either but those are more for staggering and only hit 4.

As such I think the MkIX is slightly better than the other two, but with the caveat that it also has a bunch of heavy vanguard attacks that are actually worse most of the time compared to the lights, since they only hit 4 and with more damage dropoff. Luckily it still has a heavy strikedown opener though, so with some effort you can just repeat that one for your anti-armor needs.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 22, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Personally, post level 30 playback should literally exist solely because the game is fun, not because you're grinding for a red/perfect weapon like you could in V2. No one in this forum has said "gosh this game is balls and sucks because it's simply not fun!", instead they've all made valid complaints while praising core gameplay mechanics.

The argument about the lack of content that was promised is a justified complaint, people simply want what they were sold/paid for. I'm old enough to remember when games were released completed lol, and watching decade after decade of corpos dropping the ball to the point where betas and alphas are justified releases is pathetic. No one blames the actual developers/labor for what is ostensibly a managerial/parent company gently caress up.

As an aside though, it's like people/corpos forgot that not every game needs a Diablo 2/Path of Exile grind. Left 4 Dead literally had no grind and it's one of the most beloved releases for that specific reason (the other reason was core gameplay). Darktide has the capability gameplay wise to stand on its own and be the best, they just need to strip the bullshit out.

I mean the weave system was excellent in VT2. They could have done a simpler system like BF 2042's weapon attachment system and that would be a major improvement over what was implemented. Hell Planetside 2 figured out weapon attachments ages ago! It's just maddening to see such piss poor decisions being implemented.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Stanley Pain posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I still have people crash in my missions at least a couple of times per day. The game is unfinished, and crafting is not something that is going to "ruin the endgame" it depends on the implementation. Someone did the math, and I think they didnt count the tier level of blessings or perks either, and found that it takes like 17000 hours of combatting RNG to get a gun with the right stats, perks, and blessings currently. This went down to like 5000 hours if you can reroll 1 blessing.

"Why do you care about 5% crit!!??" <-- No one cares about 5% crit, what matters is that the developers implemented a weird mark system and then a very graduated system of weapon power wherein to play on the hardest difficulty with certain weapons you need to hit certain break points in both stats and perks for the weapons to function anywhere close to the best in slot guns. You need 78+ in the 2 offensive stats + at least 20% dmg to certain monster classes to achieve 1/2 shots on damnation. Thats not a small deal! Obviously you can just play with your much worse weapon, but it feels bad! It feels bad that they made it work like that and you have so little recourse to fix it! "Just play with the guns you get why do you care?" because they made it this way!! They specifically made the game this way and made it in such a way that certain stats/blessings on guns are very important and then made it so it was very hard to get them! This is actually a very big deal, I have 2 bolters that both deal the same damage but due to blessings/perks one takes 4 bolts on damnation to kill an ogryn class enemy and the other one takes 7, not counting headshots. Thats almost twice as much ammo on a gun thats ammo hungry, and obviously you could play around this but why are you even in a situation where this is possible?

I have played for nearly 400 hours and I don't have a thunderhammer I can bring into damnation or heresy on my Zealot. The only one I have is like 330 in stats and it takes 2 or 3 uncharged hits to kill a pox walker and like 4 hits to kill anyone else. Its trash! How do I get a better one?

Part of playing the game for fun is being able to play with the weapons and playstyle you want. I can't run certain builds because I don't have the guns for them! I still don't have an antax with brutal momentum. I don't have a good lacerate knife. It takes so loving long to grind for the materials to even attempt them and then I have to camp a shop IRL to buy them, thats crazy. If they let me just HAVE the weapons I wanted I would keep playing because the core gameplay is fun and I could try out other builds. I run antax on my Zealot because I have a 500+ rated one that one shots most things in melee but it doesn't have brutal momentum so I can't do the reaaally good meme build, so it takes me way longer to clear hordes. Its FINE but annoying. I can't do the cool build yet because crafting isnt in the game and I literally can't get a good rolled antax with the blessing I want.

There's no story in the game, theres no good non-premium cosmetics, there is a lack of diversity in the missions and modifiers, the weekly contract system blows. These things actively put off the playerbase to the point where I spend most of my time playing heresy and damnation with less than 4 people on the team. Yesterday we had a bot use up 3 medicae charges in a medicae while no one was looking during an event which hosed us over. You can't even complete some of the weekly contracts with bots because they can't pickup scriptures, which was a feature in vt!!!!

If this is a finished game its not a good one, and I love the core gameplay. I've played for SO LONG and I have ZERO GUNS with their "best in slot" stats or perks or blessings. Thats wild!! Not 1!!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 22, 2023

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Really the point of a baroque weapon system combined with classes and talents is to try out weird combinations of things to see if they work or fill a niche nobody has tried yet. Crit-stab Zealot actually can use the Refresh-on-Crit talent that is otherwise a complete waste of space in their character sheet and doing so plays significantly different from Eviscerator-plus-2x-Ult Zealot. Getting +5% to crit is a pretty major part of that. There is a system for acquiring new weapons now, but it doesn't feel good to use, so if you're the kind of person who wants to play with stats to make things work, you can, but with a significant QOL barrier to entry.

It's not that the game isn't fun if # doesn't go up, it's that there's a part of the game - theorycrafting - that is much less pleasant than it needs to be because simple systems haven't been implemented. Because shop refresh gameplay sort of sucks. And that's just dealing with one aspect of the game that feels unfinished.

There's nothing wrong with FS taking a vacation, people just want a vague roadmap. They should have had that before they went on vacation.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Has anyone started hearing convos that go a bit harder in on Rannick lately? There have always been convos like "I like Zola, I dislike Zola, where did you used to work Zola? I like Hardon, I hate hardon, Rannick is a coward for sitting on the ship, Rannick is doing what hes good at sitting on the ship, Morrow fought at every war ever" - but lately I've heard more conversations calling out Rannick as possibly being compromised or unfaithful????

This seems to me like that something that should be accompanied by some cutscenes or maybe Rannick as the actual mission briefer (of the FLASH missions maybe??????????) where his orders get sketchier and sketchier. Is some poo poo missing? Whats your take on this.

When is the live service story season going to begin

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Jerkface posted:

When is the live service story season going to begin

Coming soon!

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

ijyt posted:

Nah it's definitely a finished game IMO.

Better a fuckwit than lumped in with the entitled gamer crowd that have no concept of publisher deadlines, and generally the business side of videogames.

How dare Fatshark publishing give the Fatshark devs such a terrible release timeline. Also how many finished games have Coming Soon! signs attached to core systems?

I have around 40-ish hours in the game and I'm not exaggerating when I say between 6-8 of those hours are simply dead time either waiting for the interminably long loading times or waiting in the lobby for my friends to reconnect or load or simply stop crashing. Haven't played in around 2 weeks or so but last time I did it was basically guaranteed that at least 1/4 of us in the lobby would crash or drop, every single game. That's not acceptable in a "finished" game

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
It would be interesting to see another version of this game with all weapons available and balanced, with the same preconfigured stats, and all the rest of the time that they wasted on a scrapped crafting system spent on making the other game systems better. The gameplay loop is then based on playing the game and playing with builds rather than shop/mission RNG. I guess that’s kinda what DRG did? But instead they have incentivized people to chase 1% better weapons and have therefore cultivated their own negative feedback since they couldn’t deliver on the crafting/drop system, leaving no one happy.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah tbh i would rather not have a loot system at all. Don't get me wrong, I love a loot treadmill, but I don't think it makes this game stronger. Would strongly prefer more levels, more weapons, more enemies, more (reasonable) penances, challenge modifiers, etc. A bad loot system does a good job of illustrating how some games just don't need loot systems at all.

Or give us a loot system but it's all cosmetic. Or give us minor consumable buffs like in Dead By Daylight, just have a "private" option for your loadout so grognards don't yell at you for taking +5% crit instead of +10% cdmg or whatever weird level of interpersonal micromanagement assholes like to do in pug groups

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I am 100% on board with playing the game entirely for fun; I still play Nuclear Throne and I unlocked literally everything in that game years ago. But if you want me to play like that, your game has to have enough content that I want to. You need a ton of weapons or classes or levels or enemy types or boss types to give some variety to the gameplay. Peferably, all of the above. This game has:

• A tiny pool of weapons, 90% of which are generic rifles or melee sticks differentiated only by having 0.05% more fire rate or slightly different combo patterns. If you lump together all the generic ones, there are probably a dozen actually-distinct weapon types.
  • Four classes, and they're not even that different outside of the ogryn.
  • What, 8 missions now? And even then, they share three visual environments, you could count the number of different objective types on one hand, and they all have exactly the same enemy rosters, because:
  • There are like 20 enemies in the entire game, and half of them are just "normal human dude with/without gun."
  • One boss, and it's utter poo poo. It just blows my mind that "make one (1) decent boss" wasn't considered a blocker for release.
I've played this game for like 50 hours and I have seen and heard every single thing in it a hundred times. That's the problem for me: not the lack of progression, not the shop, not the dummied-out crafting, but the suffocating dearth of variety. Fixing that other poo poo would ultimately just be papering over this flaw, in my eyes.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Avoid the mk6, if you find a good mk7 or mk9 give'em a go. They're pretty fun.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the technology to implement such a feature, along with the developer who made that game, have been lost to time
If anyone finds the STC for it they'll give you a planet!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
for 2400 aquilas

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think a better system would of been having every base weapon being easily available with the same stats, but you chased attachments of various rarities that affected the modifier bars.
"Bruh I finally got a max roll Thunderhammer Power Amplifier that maxes out the AOE stagger and damage on a charged hit"
"Nice, I finally got my x3 scope for my MK12 lasgun and a battery that has a 33% chance to give back ammo on headshot kills"

Evil Kit posted:

Avoid the mk6, if you find a good mk7 or mk9 give'em a go. They're pretty fun.

Heavy swords yeah?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 22, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

There is so much they could have done different with the weapons and blessings. Its stupid that there are blessings that are like +12% power on kill, stacks 5 times, and then blessings that are "up to 2% power based on continuous fire time" - the first is like several orders of magnitude stronger than the latter. The latter is pointless, barely able to be felt by the player at all. That should be like up to 200% power based on fire time for it to mean anything.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Someone make a LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE.gif but its devs so we can just post that every time someone white knights :fatshark: .

I was wondering if GW might take steps because it could damage their IP but then i looked at all the other 40k games and went, oh yeah that didn't happen. I want the DRG devs to get a license and make an amazing melee based warhammer fantasy DRG--4 dawi mining in the depths with a overseer dwarf just shouting down the mine shaft really loudly.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Loaded this game for the first time in a week, start a T4 mission at the start screen with a full roster of real people. Game loads into the actual level, they're all now bots.

:wtc:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I wish GW was smart enough to actively care about their IP in games.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I hear the total war games are good but that isn't my vibe. I want something similar to that but turn-based battles, oh well.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Heavy swords yeah?

Yeah mb, I meant for Heavy Swords. It's basically the bull butcher for the Ogryn. The special attack has a bit of a wind up but is one that ignores Stagger Res

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

I hear the total war games are good but that isn't my vibe. I want something similar to that but turn-based battles, oh well.

They are indeed very good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Good news if you were looking for tactics style games or something akin to nu x-com style there's a couple of games in recent years. Both are 40k based, one is about techpriests and the other is space marines. Warhammer: Chaos Gate is the space marine one I believe?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's interesting how often people undercount how many maps are actually in the game. I myself didn't realize there's actually 14 maps until I tried to count them earlier in the thread, but people often guess as few as 7-8 maps. Something about the design of weapons and maps with reused parts and gibberish names just makes this game's content roll off of your brain like water.

Jerkface posted:

There is so much they could have done different with the weapons and blessings. Its stupid that there are blessings that are like +12% power on kill, stacks 5 times, and then blessings that are "up to 2% power based on continuous fire time" - the first is like several orders of magnitude stronger than the latter. The latter is pointless, barely able to be felt by the player at all. That should be like up to 200% power based on fire time for it to mean anything.

I'm really curious to know the story behind how the game's itemization/progression mechanics ended up being the way they are, because it's all so obviously cobbled together at the last second that there's no way it's whatever the devs originally planned or wanted to do (and allegedly there's evidence that they spent time working on a weapon attachment system that didn't end up in the game). I largely try to ignore it because 90% of the perks being tiny invisible bullshit like "+5% power for 1.25 seconds on close range kill" is legitimately infuriating to look at. Anytime someone wonders what they "intended" behind the use of a particular perk or blessing has the same answer: they didn't intend anything, no one actually put serious thought into the use case of "+2% reload speed while sliding," it's all just some placeholder poo poo they slapped in there at the last second because they couldn't implement whatever they actually wanted to. But it'd be interesting to know what went on during development that led to that outcome.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i mean, does 14 really count when it's all the same sort of corridor? the maps i can recall are the one with the bridge, the smelter, the map with the desert bit and the higher up level where the posh people live.

e: oh yeah, there's a sewer/water treatment one but that's mixed up in my brain with the bridge level

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 22, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

Good news if you were looking for tactics style games or something akin to nu x-com style there's a couple of games in recent years. Both are 40k based, one is about techpriests and the other is space marines. Warhammer: Chaos Gate is the space marine one I believe?

I got the techpriest one when it was free and it didn't really hit with me, maybe I'll like the space marine one. What I meant is I'd love a game with big tabletop+ size battles that are turn-based. I've never been able to figure out how to enjoy an RTS

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Theres 14 maps but only like 5 "areas" , though each of the maps themselves do have significant unique portions, the biggest issue is that there should be more unique set piece locations within the levels to give them more of a feel.

Some of the final locations are cool (smelter and repair are great!) but some just lack enough oomph (water purification should be way crazier when you activate the purge).

Also the attachment system got scrapped and turned into the mark system, its been datamined and through early screens\video that you'd have like a base lasgun and then build it out. When they scrapped it they basically used the attachments to create 3 individual marks per gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It's interesting how often people undercount how many maps are actually in the game. I myself didn't realize there's actually 14 maps until I tried to count them earlier in the thread, but people often guess as few as 7-8 maps. Something about the design of weapons and maps with reused parts and gibberish names just makes this game's content roll off of your brain like water.

If you had to talk about a vermintide2 map but without mentioning it's name, you'd probably say something like

"you know it's that map in the farmland with the barn in the middle"
"This is the one with the giant bell at the end"
"That's the one where we fight the skaven boss in the dwarven city"
"This is the one with Burblestew Hellscrooge"

And you'd know exactly what map they were talking about, if you were to do that in Darktide it would be something like

"It's the one where you use a servoskull and defend for awhile"
"That is the one in the desert area"
"It's that one where you use the scanner on 5 things"
"This is the one where you hit the tentacles to make the eyeballs pop out"
"It's one of the two with the same boss at the end"