Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Great, thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Jesus loving christ this is right in my backyard. One of my friends was there but thankfully she's okay...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

After 2 years of constantly putting off getting my car detailed, I took it in today. The catalyst was my wife getting sick and puking all over herself and the car. My car was a little ripe this morning. Thankfully seems like just a bout of food poisoning for my wife.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I might have to download Control today after reading the premise.

I’ve been hopelessly locked into mindlessly optimizing Hades runs for like 6mo.

I still need to sit down and finish Yakuza 0 and Far Cry 5 though….

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

I just finished up Fuzz by Mary Roach that’s a really good and episodic little nonfiction about laws and policies around human-animal interactions all over the world (attack investigation, nuisance mitigation, etc).

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 22, 2023

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Taming down the Christmas lights today and feeling kind of blah about it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

LeeMajors posted:

I might have to download Control today after reading the premise.

I still need to sit down and finish Yakuza 0 and Far Cry 5 though….

I finished up Yakuza 0 a couple of weeks ago ( I was in the endgame for a while, but went through a period where I was just playing koi-koi for weeks), and moved on to Kiwami 2, and I'm already almost finished with that. Turns out when you don't have to grind Mr. Shakedown and mini-games for money to level up, Yakuza moves pretty fast!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quiet Feet posted:

Taming down the Christmas lights today and feeling kind of blah about it.

I like to think this just means you're grooming them in some fashion and they stay up all year.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

LeeMajors posted:

If you want another version of this itch, Slay the Spire is a card-based rogue like. Overall a slower burn with no real story beats, but if and when you start seeing synergies between cards and relics it becomes an addiction.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Grittybeard posted:

This is probably a boring overly recommended book that half the thread has read (possibly including you) but I'm finally getting around to Nixonland.

So far I'm having fun? (???) looking up all of the people and events that are randomly mentioned and moved away from that I knew a little but not a lot about [note: much of the further reading is not particularly fun]. There's just a lot there and it's a well documented period that's easy to look up further information online if you're a history dork.

I'm trying to get into this book and it's just not cooking yet :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Control was so good I gave Max Payne and Max Payne 2 a try for the first time afterwards (which hold up pretty well)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am getting back into Destiny 2 and I simultaneously hate and love it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I'm trying to get into this book and it's just not cooking yet :(

I'm not a fan of a lot of the framing Perlstein does, I got the notion of the Franklins vs the Orthoginians in a few pages, it doesn't need to be repeated over and over again in words that just mean the elite or the working class.

I spend half my time reading it and half looking up stuff that sounds interesting. But, yeah, I'm not you, so, your mileage may vary for sure.

e: didn't mean that to sound condescending if it came off that way, just I like nerdy stuff like that and you may not. I probably only feel like I have to note this because we're getting into a whole lot of condescension talk where I am in the book.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 22, 2023

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Grittybeard posted:

I like to think this just means you're grooming them in some fashion and they stay up all year.

I await our cyberpunk future thing where we have plants that naturally grow Christmas lights.

But then, I also hate yardwork so I don't know how I'd feel about that.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

I just finished up Fuzz by Mary Roach that’s a really good and episodic little nonfiction about laws and policies around human-animal interactions all over the world (attack investigation, nuisance mitigation, etc).

I’m listening to this right now and the chapter near the end about trapping and poisoning “invasive” predators is… a little rough to get through. Mary Roach is a really good writer though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

I’m listening to this right now and the chapter near the end about trapping and poisoning “invasive” predators is… a little rough to get through. Mary Roach is a really good writer though.

Ah yeah, the stoats in New Zealand

She does put a good perspective on the practice and the futility of trying to control nature at least, and how conservation is always focused on some arbitrary point in the past.

Coco13 posted:

If you want another version of this itch, Slay the Spire is a card-based rogue like. Overall a slower burn with no real story beats, but if and when you start seeing synergies between cards and relics it becomes an addiction.

Ill have to check this out when I’ve got some time thanks for the rec. Hades was my first roguelike and im not sure if it’s the genre that appeals to me or that particular game.

I’ve got too many games I want to play and too few hours to do so.

:negative:

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 22, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’ve been craving some type of strategy stuff and dusted off Into the Breach which is fun for 15 minutes while you’re on a roll but then RNG fucks you with four spawned enemies to gang up on your defense objective and the one existing fucker webs two of your three mechs and then your game is done and you have to start over, and then you remember why you haven’t played it in forever

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I pretty much only play Roguelikes at this point, just because you can be playing in 5 seconds and walk away whenever. StS has insane replayability, I have like 700 hours in it. My only pet peeve (that StS does not have) are the ones where you are sleep walking through hours of gameplay because it is so easy, and then you just explode.

Also, just cashed my middle class tax refund from the state of CA, thanks for the free money.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah like trimming the azalea bushes or making a topiary like Edward Scissorhands.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anyone else hyped for wo long fallen dynasty

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

T-Square posted:

I’ve been craving some type of strategy stuff and dusted off Into the Breach which is fun for 15 minutes while you’re on a roll but then RNG fucks you with four spawned enemies to gang up on your defense objective and the one existing fucker webs two of your three mechs and then your game is done and you have to start over, and then you remember why you haven’t played it in forever

That’s not rng

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alaois posted:

I'll have to wait a bit on it, but yeah, it looks fantastic

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alaois posted:

Think it's on gamepass so I'll give it a go.

Hopefully I last longer on that then Monster Hunter Rise

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bills fans are weird but I gotta respect it

https://i.imgur.com/zR42ods.mp4

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hell yeah Odo Monster Hunter gear in Assassins Creed

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

Ah yeah, the stoats in New Zealand

She does put a good perspective on the practice and the futility of trying to control nature at least, and how conservation is always focused on some arbitrary point in the past.

Yeah it was really well presented and I agree with the point of view she was presenting, but it was hard to hear about the different types of traps and how 3 minutes to unconsciousness was considered “humane”. I also got really angry about the domestic cats and their role in it all.

I read a book a few years ago called Rambunctious Garden, the thesis of which is basically that. Humans in general basically want to think that they exist outside of these systems and as such can choose when and where to exert influence on them, when the fact is we are irrevocably intertwined with them. One of the stories relayed in that book is about Yosemite, and how white America in general thinks that it is a place that is kept like it would be when it was untouched by people, when in reality it’s a reflection of how indigenous people maintained it centuries ago. Our perception of what nature is and how it works is pretty myopic imo.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

That’s not rng

I thought rng was randomly generated poo poo but okay then whatever the term for “randomly generated poo poo that fucks you” is

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

if you are not playing in a way that ensures your mechs can stay mobile, and/or controlling spawns, and/or moving your units to occupy the squares needed to protect objectives, that's not random lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol I’m being lectured for being bad at video games by an anime av Games poster I’ve never heard of in the TFF chat thread

Go Bengos

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lady Radia posted:

if you are not playing in a way that ensures your mechs can stay mobile, and/or controlling spawns, and/or moving your units to occupy the squares needed to protect objectives, that's not random lol

Shut up

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

T-Square posted:

Lol I’m being lectured for being bad at video games by an anime av Games poster I’ve never heard of in the TFF chat thread

Go Bengos

Maybe you should git gud?

i have never played that game and I would probably suck at it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol fukkin nerds

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

Fast Food Nation. Don't judge the excellent nonfiction book by the horrible fictional adaptation.

If it hasn't scared you enough, feel free to follow up with Command and Control, by the same author.

A more light-hearted read on an incredibly nerdy subject is The Box, which is a blow by blow of how the standardized TEU shipping container came to be.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fast Food Nation is good as hell.

I’ve got a stack of books I need to plod through.

Just picked up Blitzed, I think from a rec in this thread. Also Mosquito about how the mosquito has killed like 68bn people and completely shaped humanity and culture, Cataclym about the politics of WWI, and I need to revisit and finish 1491 and 1493.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

T-Square posted:

Go Bengos
cry harder lmao

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've got Trust checked out from the library to read once I finish my non-fiction book about Japanese history up to the Meiji Restoration. I want to say I heard about it from the thread but I genuinely can't remember. At some point I'll probably re-read the Tale of Genji.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

cry harder lmao

I hate being owned this hard

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've been slowly reading through the Sharpe series of novels. It's kinda similar to the Master and Commander series in that it's historical military fiction during the Napoleonic Wars, but it focuses on a low born infantry Rifleman rising through the ranks, instead of ships.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

God I’m waiting to pick up my car from the detailer and there’s this guy going around asking everyone if they like the bets he made on the SF-DAL game. I think I found what a gambling addict looks like.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I dug out A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet unpacking some more boxes the other day and remembered really enjoying it and forgot it has two more books so I’ll probably get those soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joey Freshwater posted:

American On Purpose, Craig Ferguson's autobiography, is excellent.