Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

silence_kit posted:

The sensibilities of New SA are a little strange. The first impression you might get about New SA from reading posters moralize about certain selective topics, is that SA is largely a positive community which is all about doing good works and making the world a better place.

BUT if you look a little more closely, you'll find that the Something Awful Forums are almost the complete opposite of that kind of place. We largely do NOT post about how we spend our time helping the disadvantaged, serving the poor, participating in local government, etc. etc.

INSTEAD, we post or post about :

- playing video games
- watching movies and TV
- purchasing and using consumer electronics
- using recreational drugs
- our alternative sexual lifestyles, either with a 100% deadly serious tone, or in jest
- our jobs in the information technology industry
- our impotent rants against our ideological doppelgängers, sometimes containing violent fantasies about their impending demise

This HUGE disparity between how Goons moralize/preach on certain selective topics and what Goons ACTUALLY spend their time doing is one of many Great Goon Paradoxes.

This is a hard one because 1.) you're not wrong but also 2.) you're the one who evidently made up some rule about not being allowed to talk about anything being good unless you're doing it yourself but also 3.) you're definitely right

Gripweed posted:

Considering the rising rates of loneliness and unfuckability in America today, the government should start a program where if someone goes too long without a serious romantic relationship they get automatically paired up with a person of similar age and attractiveness.

This is literally the prime incel tenet and doesn't address the issue of surplus men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

you're the one who evidently made up some rule about not being allowed to talk about anything being good unless you're doing it yourself

Of course you can talk about right and wrong while not being a saint. BUT if you don't always walk the path of righteousness AND if you were to talk about [honestly minor issues w.r.t] right and wrong with an air of moral superiority, it would be more than a little hypocritical.

For a common SA Forums example, posters who spend much of their time on SA insulting others by calling them 'smooth-brained' or 'brain-damaged' will regard other posters who use the term 'r*tarded' as being barely one step below Adolf Hitler on the cosmic scale of evil-doers. It really doesn't make much sense. It is one of the Great Goon Paradoxes.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Jan 22, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Look I'm really just trying my best.

But seriously if I could go back in time and pay for Shibwanko's abortion

edit: It does make me wonder though, why abortion jokes are in such poor taste? I guess because I'm really pro-choice and live in a really pro-choice state, it's not seen as such a controversial or traumatic thing here? I mean, I know it can be. And I know that it's a right not afforded to like half the world, including people in my own country. But I'm just trying to dissect what makes the topic offensive or taboo; I get why using slurs is frowned upon, or say making jokes about sexual assault or what have you. I feel like abortion jokes are bad, but I'm not sure why.

credburn has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Jan 22, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

credburn posted:

edit: It does make me wonder though, why abortion jokes are in such poor taste?

Kill yourself. You have nothing to offer. You never did and you never will.

How's that feel?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Throw in an abortion joke and you sound like my mom :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is literally the prime incel tenet and doesn't address the issue of surplus men

Do you think that when people talk about “surplus men” they literally mean there’s more men than women? Because that’s not what it means, in America at least.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Do you think that when people talk about “surplus men” they literally mean there’s more men than women? Because that’s not what it means, in America at least.

Lol why would you assume the dumbest possible interpretation of a common sociological term

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

silence_kit posted:

The sensibilities of New SA are a little strange. The first impression you might get about New SA from reading posters moralize about certain selective topics, is that SA is largely a positive community which is all about doing good works and making the world a better place.

BUT if you look a little more closely, you'll find that the Something Awful Forums are almost the complete opposite of that kind of place. We largely do NOT post about how we spend our time helping the disadvantaged, serving the poor, participating in local government, etc. etc.

INSTEAD, we post or post about :

- playing video games
- watching movies and TV
- purchasing and using consumer electronics
- using recreational drugs
- our alternative sexual lifestyles, either with a 100% deadly serious tone, or in jest
- our jobs in the information technology industry
- our impotent rants against our ideological doppelgängers, sometimes containing violent fantasies about their impending demise

This HUGE disparity between how Goons moralize/preach on certain selective topics and what Goons ACTUALLY spend their time doing is one of many Great Goon Paradoxes.

I think this is the worst post I've ever seen on these forums, what the gently caress. It's a forum where people talk about video games, movies, tv, yeah god forbid "alternative" sexual lifestyles. Talking about normal good things while being sensitive towards slurs isn't a paradox its being a normal human being. It's also normal to strongly dislike people with strongly opposing hateful political beliefs.

Honestly everything you posted just sounds like you don't like living in modern society, or more specifically anywhere slightly left leaning in modern society.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well I mean if you interpret it generously they're just saying that internet people are generally boring, ineffectual hypocrites which is a very correct opinion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well I mean if you interpret it generously they're just saying that internet people are generally boring, ineffectual hypocrites which is a very correct opinion

How is it hypocritical to not want to see people using slurs?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Accusing people of being hypocrites is the laziest insult possible though. I don't even think goons go around acting like they are the greatest people ever, but even if they are, I don't see how liking chatting about movies/tv/sex like normal people invalidates that. Is everyone supposed to spend all their time posting about how much they donated to charity?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
It is extremely loving weird to think that not wanting to see slurs all the time is somehow inauthentic virtue signaling.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Annabel Pee posted:

Talking about normal good things while being sensitive towards slurs isn't a paradox its being a normal human being.

Here we go with the moralizing . . . the implication you are making here is that e.g. using the term 'r*tard' makes you less than a normal human being.

Annabel Pee posted:

It's also normal to strongly dislike people with strongly opposing hateful political beliefs.

That's really a generous way of putting it. The politics talk on these web forums quite often goes WAY MORE than a little beyond 'strong dislike'. I'm an American who votes straight ticket Democratic Party, and I find the way many Goons talk about politics to be very embarrassing.

Annabel Pee posted:

Honestly everything you posted just sounds like you don't like living in modern society, or more specifically anywhere slightly left leaning in modern society.

This is SO overly dramatic and sanctimonious. Yes, by replacing the term 'r*tarded' with 'smooth-brained' or 'brain-damaged' you are pulling society out of the Dark Ages. Good job. Bravo.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jan 22, 2023

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

It is extremely loving weird to think that not wanting to see slurs all the time is somehow inauthentic virtue signaling.

Did you have a stroke or something this morning? You're coming up with complete non sequitur interpretations of very basic ideas

It is not hypocritical to not want to see slurs

It is hypocritical to try to police the use of slurs while using slurs yourself

This is not hard

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Did you have a stroke or something this morning? You're coming up with complete non sequitur interpretations of very basic ideas

This is not hard

Who is doing that?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Who is doing that?

I don't give a poo poo because I didn't say it and also you are a little more dense than I want to deal with on a lovely Sunday morning

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't give a poo poo because I didn't say it and also you are a little more dense than I want to deal with on a lovely Sunday morning

He posted, letting everyone know how loving rad he is while defending the 'let us call people slurs' guy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't give a poo poo because I didn't say it

Then why the gently caress are you arguing? You’re the one throwing out weird nonsequitors and getting mad about them

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is not hard

i think actual slurs suck and are extremely crass but oval office or retarded arent slurs anymore than "fatso" or "nerd" are. i also think theres something creepy about wanting to lord over others in every detail

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Here we go with the moralizing . . . the implication you are making here is that e.g. using the term 'r*tard' makes you less than a normal human being.

Lmao. Okay please keep using that word with all your friends and family and co-workers, I'm sure they all think your really cool and badass, I bet it really owns the wokes when you get fired.

E: No seriously where have these people come from in the last couple of days, "have you considered discriminating against be for using slurs is as bad as being discriminated against?" Yes using slurs does make you less than a normal human being. Feels like a few people on SA have woke up from 4chan 15 years ago all of a sudden.

Annabel Pee has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Jan 22, 2023

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

i think actual slurs suck and are extremely crass but oval office or retarded arent slurs anymore than "fatso" or "nerd" are. i also think theres something creepy about wanting to lord over others in every detail

The punishment does not fit the crime. It's true that using the terms 'r*tarded' or 'c*nt' certainly isn't good for society, and doesn't really make the world a better place. It's also not really the Great Evil that some posters ITT are making it out to be.

But since when did SA Forums posts have to be good for society? It's hypocritical and strange to use that as a standard for moderating posts, given ALL OF THE OTHER CONTENT in SA Forums posts.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Jan 22, 2023

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Annabel Pee posted:

Yes using slurs does make you less than a normal human being. Feels like a few people on SA have woke up from 4chan 15 years ago all of a sudden.

I didn't need for you to spell it out for me in this post. I was able to gather from your first post ITT that you believe that by not using the term 'r*tard', you are performing a noble service for the world, and regard people who use the term to be beneath you. I disagree with this--I think not using the term 'r*tard' in your speech is really not a very meaningful moral action.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Jan 22, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

silence_kit posted:

The punishment does not fit the crime. It's true that using the terms 'r*tarded' or 'c*nt' certainly isn't good for society, and doesn't really make the world a better place. It's also not really the Great Evil that some posters ITT are making it out to be.

But since when did SA Forums posts have to be good for society? It's hypocritical and strange to use that as a standard for moderating posts, given ALL OF THE OTHER CONTENT in SA Forums posts.

How is this an issue of good or bad for society? Some people just don’t want to see women being called cunts on the forum they post in. Yeah you can respond “don’t like it when I call women cunts? Leave.” But if you keep doing that, that’s how you end up with a 4chan.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gripweed posted:

How is this an issue of good or bad for society?

Have you been reading the responses to me ITT? It is totally 100% about that.

Gripweed posted:

Some people just don’t want to see women being called cunts on the forum they post in. Yeah you can respond “don’t like it when I call women cunts? Leave.” But if you keep doing that, that’s how you end up with a 4chan.

I don't believe that the SA Forums moderators and their stupid word filter policies are the 'thin blue line' preventing the SA forums from descending into right-wing-extremist anarchy. I think describing this issue in this way is very misleading.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There are suddenly multiple reports coming out of a thread that has never generated reports before, I wonder what the cause could be? Oh, it's a tedious slapfight and it is not an unpopular opinion to say that no one wants to read this. Take it to PMs if you want to continue sniping at each other, but otherwise this derail stops here.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The king size Reese’s Fast Break is the king of candy bars.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

This was a very stupid moderation decision.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

alexandriao posted:

he consistently has ignorant takes and just made an abortion joke at me

I think you're cool too and wish he was less reactionary so he could recognize it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
PHUO: It's weird that the Damar Hamlin thing is being treated as a referendum on the dangers of football or a possible death knell for the sport. It was a freak thing that could happen in any contact sport, basically unprecedented at the professional level. The NFL has survived years of public knowledge about massive head trauma that is actually inherent to how the sport is played, arguably becoming more popular than ever.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

silence_kit posted:

This was a very stupid moderation decision.

Unfortunately a large section of the site staff are hugely enamoured with word filter modding, and weigh heavily in favour of it. I doubt you'll shift them on the issue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Henchman of Santa posted:

PHUO: It's weird that the Damar Hamlin thing is being treated as a referendum on the dangers of football or a possible death knell for the sport. It was a freak thing that could happen in any contact sport, basically unprecedented at the professional level. The NFL has survived years of public knowledge about massive head trauma that is actually inherent to how the sport is played, arguably becoming more popular than ever.

There’s a big difference between intellectually knowing that playing could cause health problems later on, and actually seeing a guy drop on the field during a game. That visual made the danger of the game real for people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like the pony auschwitz pic

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think you're right, although the reaction makes sense to me because it's a lot easier to ignore the response and effects of the trauma caused by CTE since it usually happens off-camera.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Crespolini posted:

Unfortunately a large section of the site staff are hugely enamoured with word filter modding, and weigh heavily in favour of it. I doubt you'll shift them on the issue.

drat. sounds like they're hypocritical idiots

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rick posted:

Shibawanko's good folk you just have to get to know him.

Ah, the "no it gets good in season 2 I swear" of posters

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Lol I missed this one earlier:

credburn posted:

edit: It does make me wonder though, why abortion jokes are in such poor taste? I guess because I'm really pro-choice and live in a really pro-choice state, it's not seen as such a controversial or traumatic thing here? I mean, I know it can be. And I know that it's a right not afforded to like half the world, including people in my own country. But I'm just trying to dissect what makes the topic offensive or taboo; I get why using slurs is frowned upon, or say making jokes about sexual assault or what have you. I feel like abortion jokes are bad, but I'm not sure why.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Kill yourself. You have nothing to offer. You never did and you never will.

How's that feel?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

christmas boots posted:

Ah, the "no it gets good in season 2 I swear" of posters

What a strange thing to say about a human.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I was joking, I don't think shibawanko is a Nazi

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Badactura posted:

I was joking, I don't think shibawanko is a Nazi

wow more like bad actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

drat. sounds like they're hypocritical idiots

Possibly. They're certainly very big on it, even if it is heavy-handed. What I think is they've forgotten what it's like to step lightly, so stomping around has just become natural.