Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

evilmiera posted:

Like Erdogan, then.

Despite it all, he easily defeats the child like Swede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/BadBalticTakes/status/1617213784308813825?t=hXEu3PRevhCE8mf0bXehKA&s=19

Finally, someone willing to speak the truth about that evil man, Jeremy Corbyn

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Weka posted:

Despite it all, he easily defeats the child like Swede.

If he would just stop flipping that drat ice cream cone for ONE SECOND, :mad:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Not So Fast posted:

https://twitter.com/BadBalticTakes/status/1617213784308813825?t=hXEu3PRevhCE8mf0bXehKA&s=19

Finally, someone willing to speak the truth about that evil man, Jeremy Corbyn

Every time I'm reminded he exists I get a little twinge where I remember there was a point where our shittyass country could have sucked slightly less and all I can do is lol or lmao

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Every time I'm reminded he exists I get a little twinge where I remember there was a point where our shittyass country could have sucked slightly less and all I can do is lol or lmao

The official elections account tweeting that voting is "so boring" to stifle turnout

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turkey is like 6 times larger than Finland and Sweden combined

it would be like trading California Texas and Florida for New Jersey and Arkansas

not even considering the importance of the Black Sea

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

invite china into nato and kick out turkey imo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

euphronius posted:

Turkey is like 6 times larger than Finland and Sweden combined

it would be like trading California Texas and Florida for New Jersey and Arkansas

not even considering the importance of the Black Sea

It would be like trading the entire USA for Mexico

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
This whole thing could have been avoided if NATO let Russia join as requested several times, including when it was the USSR

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

It would be like trading the entire USA for Mexico

Geographically speaking I would gladly trade the USA for Mexico just to mix things up

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

atelier morgan posted:

sweden has domestic arms and aviation industries that they could be compelled to destroy, feeding more of the global industry to the usual suspects instead

It's regularly undermined as it is. A lot of missed potential for growth over the past couple decades.

Not because the product was bad, just came from the wrong factories.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I would like to just completely immerse myself in authentic Mexican cuisine for an unspecified duration and then trade back when I'm in the mood for a hamburger again

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Futanari Damacy posted:

This whole thing could have been avoided if NATO let Russia join as requested several times, including when it was the USSR

:hmmyes: kick out western europe and invite russia into nato

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

we could just kick america out

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

USSR but bigger :hmmyes:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

redneck nazgul posted:

*a continent's worth of gladio guys load ar15s*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

redneck nazgul posted:

No Russia. No USA.

That's certainly one way to rapidly advance the green agenda for Europe.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DancingShade posted:

No Russia. No USA.

That's certainly one way to rapidly advance the green agenda for Europe.

How about we do Russia - US and EU - China teams this time? To keep it fresh?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

genericnick posted:

How about we do Russia - US and EU - China teams this time? To keep it fresh?

both teams desperately picking other countries to avoid getting stuck with the brits

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

redneck nazgul posted:

both teams desperately picking other countries to avoid getting stuck with the brits

But we can offer up to a dozen tanks to whoever is on our team

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Futanari Damacy posted:

Geographically speaking I would gladly trade the USA for Mexico just to mix things up

move everyone in Mexico to USA and everyone in USA to Mexico and vice versa every 4 presidential cycles

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

atelier morgan posted:

sweden has domestic arms and aviation industries that they could be compelled to destroy, feeding more of the global industry to the usual suspects instead

So does Finland. We were trying, (I suppose still are but it stalled out as you’ll see) to procure a 120mm mortar, since mortars belong to the Artillery now after a bureaucratic shuffle in the 2000’s but 81mm is no good for us. (If they’re that far up, they may as well belong to the Infantry)

Anyways, the best one identified by our process was the Finnish Tampella. The Americans were furious and “suggested” it would “behoove us” to get Israeli Soltams, which the Americans use and iirc might produce under license.

The compromise is that we just haven’t bought anything, which is about what happened when the F-35 lost to Rafale and the Saab in our process. I suppose their hope is we give in and buy their mortar, just like with the F-35.

No Finnish arms industry and that’s a slam dunk for Israel and the US.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

why are you allowed a “process”

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

lumpentroll posted:

Roundabout way to do a No Bid Contract without doing one directly (so that all the MIC firms bribe you instead of the one that 'wins').

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lumpentroll posted:

So the people who don't go to the junket parties to do lines & hookers think it was fair and they're getting the best outcome, rather than being taken to the cleaners.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

public procurement really has to be "procedural" in that there has to be some kind of contract on bid, even if the bid is transparently rigged

this is another facet of stupid neoliberal rules put in place to make the public less efficient

canada's mistake here is misunderstanding what ends these processes are supposed to serve

the norwegian tender to replace the f-16 where we ended up in the join strike fighter programme still makes me angry for just how corrupt it was. our guys know where their bread is buttered

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think democracy is good. we should try it.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zodium posted:

cringe

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Read up on how all of NATO ended up with the Starfighter and just assume the press is more friendly and the public less interested these days.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m heartened that instead of mutually assured destruction, neoliberalism is leading us to a future of mutually assured incompetence and that none of our kit works so we can’t actually fight a war anyway

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

"We are ready for you to send the tanks" goddamn that's good lol

k I'm getting the giggles with this Jedi Mind Trick poo poo these countries are pulling with each other. Nobody actually wants to help lmao

The whole thing has been a farce. Poland started things off by unilaterally announcing that they were going to donate a token amount of Leopard IIs, but only if everyone else kicks in, and then the US and western media piled on pressure to get Germany to essentially sabotage their own defense relationships and cede market share to the US, who will presumably swoop in to replace the donated Leos with M1s. Also no Ukraine can't get any Abramses because uhh you know logistics and stuff, turbines, too heavy, stop changing the subject

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Zodium posted:

democracy is what we are doing right now and its bad.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

Read up on how all of NATO ended up with the Starfighter and just assume the press is more friendly and the public less interested these days.

The only thing more effective at killing Luftwaffe pilots than a Spitfire

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bourgeois democracy i s bad, dictatorship of the proletariat is good. sorry if you dont like it but those are the facts.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Noooo you have to accept the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to be funny when if it gets out that Germany is so reluctant to hand over leopard 2s because their entire fleet is unserviceable and they only have enough shells to last a single day.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DancingShade posted:

It's going to be funny when if it gets out that Germany is so reluctant to hand over leopard 2s because their entire fleet is unserviceable and they only have enough shells to last a single day.

germany having a very low level of military preparedness is extremely well known. they almost certainly do not have the capacity to keep significant numbers of tanks in the field on short notice, via ukrainian proxy or otherwise

everyone who fields them put together probably have a better shot, with more spare parts, ammunition etc. this isn't going to "secure victory" for the ukrainians, to quote one influential norwegian newspaper, but it's going to help them with whatever offensive they have planned for the spring/summer

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/urcommunistdad/status/1610742769160716290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

evilmiera posted:

https://www.justsecurity.org/66574/can-turkey-be-expelled-from-nato/

Funny story there is legit no way to formally exclude Turkey from the alliance. Or anyone else in it for that matter. Sure, there's nothing stopping the member nations from just officially going "We aren't going to support Turkey anymore" as long as everyone is in agreement to do so and everyone gets guarantees from a new treaty to keep maintaining their shared defenses, but that's a massive undertaking and probably not worth the trouble unless Turkey flagrantly invades another ally or something. Much more likely is that the US will see how the next elections go and try to influence whoever the new leader of the nation is to just get on with it , if it isn't Erdogan again and he solidifies his hold on power

It's also a great way to show people ow your alliance does not actually care about about members if they don't 100% toe the line.