Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

colonelwest posted:

There’s a good series of articles in the Economist about Disney, talking about how they’re still reliant on network television, theaters and parks for almost all of their revenue. Disney+ is losing a billion dollars a quarter and the company is still 23 billion dollars in debt from its big pre-COVID acquisition spree. Even in its parks it’s relying more and more on fleecing wealthy super fans with ridiculously expensive packages.

Disney’s biggest threat now is tech companies like Apple and Amazon who can use streaming as a loss leader for their other products and services. Also, Gen Z just doesn’t give a poo poo about any of its franchises and would rather play video games or watch Tik/Tok or YouTube.

I thought it over and decided this (article) is bullshit. How can company this evil be losing money. It must be a falseflag operation to push for an record breaking evil scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone watch Paul T. Goldman? I've been seeing it compared to NFY/The Rehearsal.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Evil companies make comically dumb decisions all the time. Amazon spent many billions of dollars developing Alexa and selling devices at a loss to get them into homes. Then they realized they have no way to monetize it and are up poo poo's creek with trying to get some ROI on this talking robot that people mostly only use to check the weather and turn on lights

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

XJakk's lady is right - Fury Road is a great time at the movies, a really fun picture, but man all the talky emotive bits are so embarrassing. That bit where furiosa walks out onto the dunes and screams was so flat and eye rolling. Still a really good time, but John Wick 2 had more emotional resonance. I cannot understand why they want to make a furiosa movie of all things, I didn't care what happened to her during the movie why would I care about before or after? Just do a new max in a new place - maybe arctic max, or volcano max.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s actually a perfect movie and I’m not surprised at all the biggest grade A morons in the thread don’t like parts of it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Fury Road thoroughly owns. It does so many things I wish other tentpole action movies regularly adopted like, oh I dunno, not relying on slave wage CGI to carry every single loving action scene.

Also as that poster said the whole "showing, not telling" thing.

Really sadly ironic that the movie without trees feels like a breath of fresh air.

Edit: Thinking more on it and I think it's reason I liked John Wick 1 so much but not the sequels. It showed and very deliberately didn't tell, and there was a mystery to the world that made you wanna know more.

And then the sequels explained everything. At length. In the desert. In a penthouse. On a rooftop. Yawn.

sure okay fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 22, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only thing about Fury Road I don't understand is why people are all into the black and white version. The regular one has the most incredible colours, I can't understand doing away with that.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Fury Road commits one of the cardinal sins of film: asking the audience to use their imagination to fill in the blanks of the setting it's showing you. If I wanted to use my imagination, I'd read a book.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I do still kinda feel like we all fell for an X JAKK bait.

But oh well it's Sunday. Go Bengos

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

It’s marketing, X JAKK is going to use the outrage and anger to drive views

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Actually when you watch Fury Road I think you'll find that scene was a great way of showing her pain visually in less than a minute before moving on to the movies perfect third act, no exposition or wiki reading needed ;)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DC Cinematic Universe reboot looking weird

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nikc_is_sad/status/1616847638535737344

lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fury Road is right up there as not just a great action movie, but one of the best movies of all time, regardless of genre.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fury Road is right up there as not just a great action movie, but one of the best movies of all time, regardless of genre.

How can this be true when it doesn't even have a post-credits scene?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Pretty hosed up that I didn’t know fury road was awesome until it was already out of theaters

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

been saying this

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

I never saw a Mad Max movie before this trailer and I remember pulling aside coworkers to show them how insane this movie was going to be, and the fact that it matched this intensity is something I'll never forget. I remember leaving the theater knowing I'd just seen my new favorite movie, checking my phone and seeing a text from my friend asking if I wanted to see it again in an hour and being like lol hell yes I'll come pick you up. I may not have been old enough to catch The Matrix in theaters but at least I was able to see Fury Road

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:yeah:

I was lucky enough to see it multiple times in theaters and own it on 4K now. What a great movie.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
what movie does the guy yell MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! from botw?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
They had a home movie of my 10th birthday party?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fury Road needed quips. It was soooooo self-serious.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

Lycan Colony

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sunk Dunk posted:

It’s the Lucan Colony Spotlight episode…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQYdtaH41k

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Fury Road needed quips. It was soooooo self-serious.

die

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

They drive now?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

Anyone watch Paul T. Goldman? I've been seeing it compared to NFY/The Rehearsal.

It's really only related to NFY/The Rehearsal in there is a real person involved but that's about it
There is a real guy, and stuff did happen to him but lots of it is re enacted
around episode 3 it's revealed that most of the insane things like his ex wife being a madam of an international evangelical prostitution ring and him stumbling upon a human trafficking ring in SE Asia is all insane amounts of conjecture. Them dying and him being recruited by a shadowy organization of good guys and his son being kidnapped was all made up for the sequels to the book be wrote about his divorce.

Dee Wallace and Frank Grillo are in it, so that's cool.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i saw fury road twice at the cinema and i should of gone more

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Now I feel bad, guess Ill do the honorable thing and watch more Velma.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

X JAKK posted:

Do so, but don't tell us about it. TIA

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/conceptartsw/status/1617163446029807617?t=1j43BTqKZSs4UUFeHeoHrA&s=19

I demand they release an extended milking cut.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

X JAKK posted:

I'm telling you, go make an earnest video about how fury road is bad and watch it go viral

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

But also this

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm telling you, go make an earnest video about how fury road is bad and watch it go viral

Fury road was ok, a real stinker was Dune, i mean stuff just happens why

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The fact of the matter is it would be insane to haul buckets over that terrain. I respect that they at least realized that and went with screw top bottles in the finished film

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ibexaz posted:

I may not have been old enough to catch The Matrix in theaters but at least I was able to see Fury Road

My 21st birthday, friend surprised me with two tickets for The Matrix Premiere in the UK (he won it in a radio competition).
Holy gently caress that movie is a hell of a ride first time you watch it.
We couldn't afford a taxi and walked the 5 miles home talking about it and were still pumped up after we just sat and talked all night.

Pity the sequels killed it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

No Mods No Masters posted:

The fact of the matter is it would be insane to haul buckets over that terrain. I respect that they at least realized that and went with screw top bottles in the finished film

They are loving jedi. Green titty milk aint going to splash any where.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

happyhippy posted:

They are loving jedi. Green titty milk aint going to splash any where.

Uh excuse me, in my fanfic it splashes everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm glad we didn't have to see them jerking off a giant alien