Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Bologna. They had problems with inventory years ago, but they’re still in business.

And if I’m wrong and they take my money without providing a monitor, then that is what credit card protection is for.

I thought you were saying something is wrong with the monitor.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you can look at reddit right now and see numerous recent posts of people receiving their evedough monitors 8-12 months after they ordered

plus about half of the posts on /r/evev are from people struggling to get their refunds processed after backing out

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're "not a scam" in the sense that if you order one you'll probably get it, eventually, but they delay and delay until the great deal you bought into is no longer anything special

AFAICT they still haven't shipped any of the 1440p240 monitors they took pre-orders for in mid-2020, even though 1440p240 panels are widely available from other manufacturers now

someone charted the ETA over time as they endlessly kicked it down the road

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 22, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

they're "not a scam" in the sense that if you order one you'll probably get it, eventually, but they delay and delay until the great deal you bought into is no longer anything special

AFAICT they still haven't shipped any of the 1440p240 monitors they took pre-orders for in mid-2020, even though 1440p240 panels are widely available from other manufacturers now

Yeah, this is my beef with them. I don't think you're likely to get a product anytime soon, and by the time you do, it'll be worth a lot less than what you paid for. Those 1440p 240hz panels indeed haven't started shipping yet 18 months later. It also really rubbed me the wrong way how they changed their name to dodge their awful reputation.

Order at your own risk. But if you actually want something in the near future, you should get a different monitor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

perusing reddit, apparently they've also been banned from some of the major hardware subs for apparent vote manipulation/shilling

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

For 27" / 1440p / high refresh rate for gaming usage, is the M27Q still a go to or are there other, better options at/around that price point? I'm okay with more expensive if there's a good reason, but the 1000$ OLED is right out.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

perusing reddit, apparently they've also been banned from some of the major hardware subs for apparent vote manipulation/shilling

Yeah that's always been the big thing I've heard with them, that they just have the worst marketing strategy that makes them look like a scam even if they do make an actual product that may or may not be good quality.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh can I? Tell me more. What's that? Oh you're wrong and that doesn't exist. Weird. Why would you even bother buying a new monitor if you enjoy things looking bad?

Wait wait wait maybe you're suggesting I take off the filter with damp paper towels, that always looked like a super easy and convenient thing to do with no risks at all. You're on the wrong side of history just accept it.

the wrong side of history?

lmao, maybe we could dial it back 20%

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My main monitor is matte and my weird little secondary monitor is glossy, and I think the cognitive dissonance is going to make my head explode. Please advise.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

the wrong side of history?

lmao, maybe we could dial it back 20%

When art generating AIs rule the world they will not treat people who think anti glare is good, let alone that it should be the default, positively. There will be much blood, and I will be there to say I told you so.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What’s your sample size? Because the LG I tried before the M27Q had a more pronounced matte layer, and though I didn’t mind it that much I could understand some one that did. But it’s gentler on the Gigabyte.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My new lg 27" oled matte layer is ok. My Asus laptop, is grainy as gently caress. The problem is it's hard to know how much of that is it being grainy and how much of that is that the previous laptop was glossy and so the switch made it really noticeable. Now I went from a monitor with anti glare to a monitor with anti glare so it isn't as noticeable. I also use my laptop a lot more than my desktop so that'd make changes easier to notice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Looking for a good ultrawide with a built in KVM. Use case is to switch between work laptop and home desktop. Any suggestions? I'm pretty loose on every other requirement - things like high refresh rates I would consider a plus, but not a requirement.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
You can get the same functionality with a USB hub, really. But the M series Gigabyte ones are great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m not sure why but very rarely my mouse that’s plugged in through the M27Q will lose connection, requiring a restart. Only happens a few times a year and a restart fixes it, but thought I’d mention it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

For 27" / 1440p / high refresh rate for gaming usage, is the M27Q still a go to or are there other, better options at/around that price point? I'm okay with more expensive if there's a good reason, but the 1000$ OLED is right out.

Quoting myself, but picked up the M27Q and loving it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Alienware AW3423DWF is down to $999 at Dell for those who want to spend that much but not on LG: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-34-curved-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3423dwf/apd/210-BFRP/monitors-monitor-accessories

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have been using the LG C2 in HDR mode 100% of the time for a couple of weeks and it seems to work fine. I use windows 11 22h2. Dunno what's the point of an SDR mode on a pc anymore.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've got a workstation with two monitors and that's great. I primarily use the machine for coding and I'd like to have a (small) third display that's only there for media, youtube videos or movies. It doesn't have to be 4k or anything like that, I'd like it to fit in about 8.5 inches of vertical space.

Having trouble finding one. It seems like every company is only making monitors that are 15 inches in size and above.

All the rest of them look like plastic, overpriced with huge bezels, and a price tag that would afford something large from a more reputable brand. Losing hope that small media screens even exist, am I a niche market?

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I have been using the LG C2 in HDR mode 100% of the time for a couple of weeks and it seems to work fine. I use windows 11 22h2. Dunno what's the point of an SDR mode on a pc anymore.

Ideally, this is the way it should work. All SDR stuff (most normal apps) will still be tone-mapped to sRGB while HDR stuff will see HDR mode is on and display correctly. The HDR-to-SDR tone mapping is kinda scuffed on a lot of monitors, though. It was pretty mediocre on my Neo G7, but it suddenly got better with the W11 22H2 update, so I guess this is a windows problem somehow?

I wonder if, at some point down the road when HDR becomes prevalent enough (even just basic HDR400 stuff), SDR will turn into some kind of legacy mode and everything will start taking advantage of the wider rec2020 color space. It'd be weird seeing that happen after decades of sRGB on PC though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2023

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I emailed Dough/Eve to get their take on the situation, since it's difficult to believe internet reviews these days with all the parroting that happens.

Comatoast posted:

I'd like to get one of your 4k, Glossy monitors, but man you guys have an absolutely abysmal reputation. If I place an order for one of these monitors will you be shipping it out immediately or will there be some delay? What is the current state of your warranty services?

Eve Distribution Ltd posted:

Thank you for reaching out to us.

The Spectrum 4k Glossy monitors are actually still in development. So this won't ship immediately.

https://dough.community/t/project-spectrum-development-recap-december-2022/37353

We currently only have the Spectrum 4k Matte models in stock in the US. All other models and regions will be shipped at a later stage.

Feel free to read more about our warranty here:
https://www.dough.tech/pages/dough-limited-warranty
https://www.dough.tech/pages/dough-spectrum-limited-warranty

I hope you will find this information useful, but please feel free to reach out to me for any further questions you may have.

I guess that answers that. Glossy 4k monitors don't even exist.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 23, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's always been that way. There are only a handful of display panel manufacturers. Dough/Eve are nobodies, not some advanced partner that gets panels 6-12 months before everyone else. Every single time they've sold something that wasn't already on the market - and even sometimes when it was - you had to wait so long to get it that there were better AND cheaper options by the time it was available. They're basically just a preorder scam, taking premium money now and delivering an ordinary product later.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

I've got a workstation with two monitors and that's great. I primarily use the machine for coding and I'd like to have a (small) third display that's only there for media, youtube videos or movies. It doesn't have to be 4k or anything like that, I'd like it to fit in about 8.5 inches of vertical space.

Having trouble finding one. It seems like every company is only making monitors that are 15 inches in size and above.

All the rest of them look like plastic, overpriced with huge bezels, and a price tag that would afford something large from a more reputable brand. Losing hope that small media screens even exist, am I a niche market?

My weird hobby to the rescue!

I've found that "portable monitors" are what you probably want, and is what I use for a second monitor. I had been using an 11" as my secondary and then went to a 15.6", so if you used something like that in portrait you could probably find something that fits (using an arm of some kind to get it to a decent height).

So far I haven't spent much on the individual monitors involved since it was kind of a proof-concept thing, but I will probably upgrade the current secondary to something a bit nicer. The main thing I'd say to watch out for is VESA mounting, or finding a stand/arm made to accommodate mounting a tablet without VESA.

I have a weird little touchscreen 11" from Zeuslap and a 15.6" from Corprit that both allow VESA mounting (albeit with such shallow holes it makes it a little fiddly to get the screws safely in place) and a 15.6" Viewsonic which doesn't have VESA mounting that I use as an external monitor for my laptop when I travel.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ideally, this is the way it should work. All SDR stuff (most normal apps) will still be tone-mapped to sRGB while HDR stuff will see HDR mode is on and display correctly. The HDR-to-SDR tone mapping is kinda scuffed on a lot of monitors, though. It was pretty mediocre on my Neo G7, but it suddenly got better with the W11 22H2 update, so I guess this is a windows problem somehow?

I wonder if, at some point down the road when HDR becomes prevalent enough (even just basic HDR400 stuff), SDR will turn into some kind of legacy mode and everything will start taking advantage of the wider rec2020 color space. It'd be weird seeing that happen after decades of sRGB on PC though.

I can not tell a difference in desktop use between SDR and HDR modes. To my eyes, the image looks exactly the same. I measured the screen brightness and set the SDR content to "10" based on that in the Windows HDR settings. Before doing that, I think the HDR mode was a bit brighter than it was supposed to be. In my use, SDR at this stage, is now a legacy mode.

Maybe I'll run into something weird, but so far it has not happened. It's a lot more enjoyable when the monitor doesn't have to switch between modes, and I also can edit my photos in HDR with Adobe Camera Raw now. There's quite a big difference in some cases.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a weird little touchscreen 11"

A tablet u say, I hadn't considered that. I was thinking I just want it to work off of the same rig, I've got a spare hdmi port on my graphics card I was hoping to make use of and it would be nice if I could interact with it using my mouse and keyboard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

A tablet u say, I hadn't considered that. I was thinking I just want it to work off of the same rig, I've got a spare hdmi port on my graphics card I was hoping to make use of and it would be nice if I could interact with it using my mouse and keyboard.

Yep. And I found HDMI + USB-A to USB-C cables which opens up a lot of opportunities. Some of these weird little monitors have a mini-HMDI port, meaning you need a cable that goes HDMI to mini-HDMI or an adapter, but a lot only take video over USB-C. Depending on how big they are they might need a second USB-C cable for power, but the little ones can be driven with both video and power over a single USB-C cable.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I've done a little bit of research and it looks like if I get a tablet of some kind and install a few things I can have it function as a usb monitor with no latency, so I've read. So that looks to be the best option. I get a small screen, and it's a lot more functional if I want it to be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What tablet? FWIW, I had very noticeable lag when I tried that with my iPad.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I don't know how Samsung does it because I generally don't like their products but the first thing that came up was of course the Tab A8 or S8. S8 is three times more expensive, but if I ever plan to use it as a tablet it looks like the better choice.

I'm open to whatever though just not an ipad please. I'm sure there's probably a tablet thread I'm in the wrong place.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Rinkles posted:

What tablet? FWIW, I had very noticeable lag when I tried that with my iPad.

You can buy boards to use an iPad screen as an hdmi monitor. Lots of people do for retro gaming for the aspect ratio and response times.

Prebuilt setups are also out there:
https://www.laserbear.net/products/mini-lcd-monitor-complete?variant=41471529320660

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’d love to know how to set that up on a functioning iPad. I tried Duet and one alternative app.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

change my name posted:

Alienware AW3423DWF is down to $999 at Dell for those who want to spend that much but not on LG: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-34-curved-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3423dwf/apd/210-BFRP/monitors-monitor-accessories

I'm kind of tempted to upgrade from an Asus PG279Q. I've been waffling on UW for a while, though.

I'm running a 3080 - I should be able to push 3440x1440 fairly well with this, right? (At least enough where non-native GSync support won't matter.) Have any of you UW gamers regretted the decision?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've had the alienware qd-oled for half a year now and upgraded from a 27" 1440P - been happy with it both for gaming and productivity
34" 1440P UW seems like a good sweet spot

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mysteryberto posted:

You can buy boards to use an iPad screen as an hdmi monitor. Lots of people do for retro gaming for the aspect ratio and response times.

Prebuilt setups are also out there:
https://www.laserbear.net/products/mini-lcd-monitor-complete?variant=41471529320660

I dunno, I think going with something like this would make more sense:

https://www.newegg.com/aoc-e1659fwu-15-6/p/N82E16824160174?Item=N82E16824160174

That was just a quick search and a cheapish name brand - there's more out there.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

pocket pool posted:

I'm kind of tempted to upgrade from an Asus PG279Q. I've been waffling on UW for a while, though.

I'm running a 3080 - I should be able to push 3440x1440 fairly well with this, right? (At least enough where non-native GSync support won't matter.) Have any of you UW gamers regretted the decision?

3080 should have no issues driving it. ive never ever regretted 34" UW, not even once, and have been using various ones both at home and at work since 2015

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't had any issues driving a 38" 3840x1600 60hz panel with my 3070ti.

1440p is IMHO not enough vertical pixels, but 1600p panels are spendy...

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

change my name posted:

Is this the flagship gaming UW right now? iirc the AW line usually is, just curious.

Edit: reason I ask is that my buddy is looking for a second UW to relegate his LG 60hz to a secondary display for WFH/Gaming. How fussy is this monitor w/r/t OLED and burn-in and all that?

Zarin fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 24, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zarin posted:

Is this the flagship gaming UW right now? iirc the AW line usually is, just curious.

More or less. It's the only QD-OLED monitor available in north america right now. The panel it uses has gotten high praise from a lot of folk. In some respects, it's probably the best-looking panel you can get right now with really high image quality. There is a more expensive model with a g-sync module and a more accurate HDR image (AW3423DW), but some people prefer the cheaper DWF model due to the DW having an audible fan on the g-sync module, though the DWF still has a (quiet) fan cooling the panel itself.

edit: Nobody can really say for sure exactly how burn-in resistant these monitors are. They come with a 3-year burn-in warranty though, and they also have the full suite of anti-burn-in features such as screen shifting and pixel refreshers. I've seen exactly one report of burn-in so far, and it was from someone who said their pixel refresher feature was broken. They were also a frequent user of window splitting, and the burn-in that happened was of the line down the middle of the screen between windows. A single report isn't an indication of a widespread problem, but you should still be at least a little careful as to how you use the monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 24, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does the warranty apply if you don't use the anti-burn in features?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

More or less. It's the only QD-OLED monitor available in north america right now. The panel it uses has gotten high praise from a lot of folk. In some respects, it's probably the best-looking panel you can get right now with really high image quality. There is a more expensive model with a g-sync module (AW3423DW) and a more accurate HDR image, but some people prefer the cheaper DWF model due to the DW having an audible fan on the g-sync module, though the DWF still has a (quiet) fan cooling the panel itself.

edit: Nobody can really say for sure exactly how burn-in resistant these monitors are. They come with a 3-year burn-in warranty though, and they also have the full suite of anti-burn-in features such as screen shifting and pixel refreshers. I've seen exactly one report of burn-in so far, and it was from someone who said their pixel refresher feature was broken. They were also a frequent user of window splitting, and the burn-in that happened was of the line down the middle of the screen between windows. A single report isn't an indication of a widespread problem, but you should still be at least a little careful as to how you use the monitor.

Huge, thank you. Much appreciated as always.