Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

haha you have Pillars of Eternity installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

haha you have Pillars of Eternity installed

I do now!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Devils Affricate posted:

I mean like

but also, like

Because it's the lazy option. I see this whole "system requirements" argument get trotted out all the time as an excuse, but that was only true back in the 90s. Hell, Squaresoft started bucking that trend in the late 90s even though it meant they had to use multiple disks.

I don't HATE tiles, but for a $60 game where the story, characters, etc were already made for them and all they had to do was give it a graphical update, it's loving lame.

I have no idea what on earth you're on about. Tiles are just a means of organizing art and data. That's it. It's the same amount of art and information pertaining to the game state regardless of how the programmers fiddle with it.

Are you upset at the general design choice in games that use big old tiles to clearly communicate spaces? Because that's just a matter of taste, not laziness, and there is a poo poo ton of actual, objectively bad poo poo with the remake that you're ignoring for whatever this is

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the whole point of using a tileset is that you assemble levels or screens by reusing a handful of graphical elements instead of drawing everything from scratch, which saves both vram (in older systems) and artist time

the three hills/platforms in this image look the same because they are reusing the same tiles, instead of each hill being its own bespoke unique hand-drawn element

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 23, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I have no idea what on earth you're on about. Tiles are just a means of organizing art and data. That's it. It's the same amount of art and information pertaining to the game state regardless of how the programmers fiddle with it.

Are you upset at the general design choice in games that use big old tiles to clearly communicate spaces? Because that's just a matter of taste, not laziness, and there is a poo poo ton of actual, objectively bad poo poo with the remake that you're ignoring for whatever this is

It takes a couple seconds and zero consideration to plop down 6 orthagonally aligned tree spheres. It takes time and actual artistic talent to draw a forest.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the last good game was Trade Wars 2002

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

I mean like

but also, like

Because it's the lazy option. I see this whole "system requirements" argument get trotted out all the time as an excuse, but that was only true back in the 90s. Hell, Squaresoft started bucking that trend in the late 90s even though it meant they had to use multiple disks.

I don't HATE tiles, but for a $60 game where the story, characters, etc were already made for them and all they had to do was give it a graphical update, it's loving lame.

Devils Affricate posted:

It takes a couple seconds and zero consideration to plop down 6 orthagonally aligned tree spheres. It takes time and actual artistic talent to draw a forest.

Where's your YouTube channel about how you hate basic design philosophy behind games and computer programs?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Doesn't Pillars of Eternity only have like, 50ish different "screens"/maps, maybe a few more including little minor dungeons and small building interiors and stuff?

Compared to Link's Awakening (at least the original I didn't play the remake, but I am looking at maps of the original right now) has in the range of 30+ "screens" to a single dungeon.

This is why if Link's Awakening used hand-drawn maps it would be orders of magnitude more effort than PoE doing the same thing. Drawing four 1000x1000 maps is a whole lot more work than drawing one 2000x2000 map. Just pullin' these resolutions outta nowhere but my point is "higher resolution" does not = more effort (generally speaking, and in fact it's often the opposite), but more assets definitely = more effort.

Source: I was making an RPG using hand-drawn maps but scrapped it because of what an absurdly huge amount of effort that ended up being for a one-man production. It's still kind of my dream project though.

edit: vvvv And yes, can confirm the below, I am currently struggling with what an enormous amount of effort it is to make tile-based maps! Putting the tilesets together, defining terrains in tileD, then the actual building, then the tweaking of all the edge cases where the tiles you've built don't work or need more. And it's really, really difficult to make good-looking, varied maps when what you're making is essentially a series of mosaics with a very limited amount of tile designs. A hand-drawn map is much "easier" to create in the sense that you literally just sit down and draw, and that's it, despite being more time consuming, because you don't have to work within the constraints of tiles.

At least in the RPGMaker crowd the standard procedure for what's called Parallax Mapping involves making a tile-based map and then hand-drawing on top of it (or hand-placing additional tiles off-grid), then displaying it in a background parallax layer and essentially building another tile-based map on top of it to define collisions, and then finally making yet another hand-drawn map layer on top for any objects the player can walk "behind" to obscure your view of the player. Aaaaand if you want things like animated grass, well, that's yet another tileset map you need to make all for this one map to function like you want, because the autotiles and animated tiles from your initial tile-based map that got converted into a parallax layer don't get to keep their animation when they're converted to a still .png, and animated parallaxes seem to be a giant PITA to work with. :eng101:

Either way, mapping is an enormously time-consuming and asset-heavy process for any 2d game, regardless of how you're doing it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 23, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure copy paste can be done just as easily in other formats and building stuff that looks good in tiles can be a fiddly pain in the rear end if you guys haven't tried it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And of course my biggest confusion is that y'all are ignoring the fact that having everything look like tiles is a design choice that makes things incredibly easier for the player to read at a glance. Just because you don't like the look doesn't mean it's just lazy programmers and nobody else does. (HI, it's me, tiles are awesome and there's a reason board games were using that poo poo long before computers even existed)

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Enough about resolutions or whatever, the Trump :lol: thread has some good posts about conservative games, such as:
Animal Crossing
The Legend of Zelda series
Assassin's Creed
The Sims

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I can't even wrap my head around the concept of hating tiles

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

Enough about resolutions or whatever, the Trump :lol: thread has some good posts about conservative games, such as:
Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed
The Sims

how about we NOT let the politics and coprophilia thread bleed over into this one

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I can't even wrap my head around the concept of hating tiles

Neither can I, which is why I said I don't hate them :)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Outpost22 posted:

Animal Crossing
The Sims

pro-capitalism; extremely bourgeois, promote house ownership as the only way to live

the sims does generally promote social progressivism though so it's more "american liberal" than full-on conservative. animal crossing otoh has extreme-christian traditionalist cottagecore vibes

Outpost22 posted:

pro-totalitarianism/monarchy, racial differences codified in fictional biology, generally very patriarchal (e.g. damsel in distress trope) despite occasional "girlboss" moments

Outpost22 posted:

Assassin's Creed

this one i don't get though; I haven't played them but aren't they about assassinating members of the european christian hegemony, for some sort of pro-egalitarian (pro-muslim?) purpose?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am not being even the least bit facetious when I say that the Assassin's Creed games are about being a dystopian corporate slave who is descended from all of history's greatest assassins (because they were all related, I guess) whose job is getting shoved into a VR game that makes you live out the lives of your ancestors through some kind of... genetic imprint reading or something? Anyway the dystopian corporation that you work for is, surprise, actually the Knights Templar in disguise, and they are... doing something? that involves shoving you in the VR so that they can, uhh, spy on your ancient ancestors I think, and maybe find a hidden nazi treasure or whatever. Because it turns out that every assassin in Human history was, get this, all part of another conspiracy org that has been doing battle with the Knights Templar since primordial times. I don't believe that anything of value is ever revealed about the Assassins, where they came from, or what their goals are, other than that they are the enemies of the Knights Templar.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 23, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I bet a lot of right wingers see Ganondorf as a Jewish caricature

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I am not being even the least bit facetious when I say that the Assassin's Creed games are about being a dystopian corporate slave who is descended from all of history's greatest assassins (because they were all related, I guess) whose job is getting shoved into a VR game that makes you live out the lives of your ancestors. Anyway the dystopian corporation that you work for is, surprise, actually the Knights Templar in disguise, and they are... doing something? that involves shoving you in the VR so that they can, uhh, spy on your ancient ancestors I think, and maybe find a hidden nazi treasure or whatever. Because it turns out that every assassin in Human history was, uhh, all part of another conspiracy org that has been doing battle with the Knights Templar since primordial times.

I got bored 3/4 through the first game and I already knew all of this and there are so many more games lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

To be fair I've only played the first one and Black Flag but IIRC they had the same exact out-of-animus story, as if nothing had happened in the future timeline between the two games. I think you might play a different descendent of the assassins in each game. And in one of them you had to do platforming segments as your boring-rear end non-assassin future character who was a generic White Male Protagonist With Buzzcut named "Desmond" or something like that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 23, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Assassin’s creed games loving suck but I could see how conspiracy theorists and republicans can feel right at home in a game about Illuminatis doing battle with each other in some weird secret war

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh yeah, I also played Assassin's Creed 2: The one where Leonardo DaVinci acts as quite literally your ancient equivalent of Q from James Bond, and you get all excited because he's promising to make all of these fantastical contraptions for you and stuff

And then the only thing he makes you is a knife that you can conceal in your shirt sleeve. And then you lose that one so he makes you another one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He gives you a hug tho

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just looked up spoilers and goddamnit it gets so much worse than all of that. The Knights Templar are trying to resurrect Greek Gods and use them to destroy Humanity or whatever, and the ancient assassins steal the Apple of Eden from them and eat it to become blessed god-creatures which gives them the ability to communicate with you in the future.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

I am not being even the least bit facetious when I say that the Assassin's Creed games are about being a dystopian corporate slave who is descended from all of history's greatest assassins (because they were all related, I guess) whose job is getting shoved into a VR game that makes you live out the lives of your ancestors through some kind of... genetic imprint reading or something? Anyway the dystopian corporation that you work for is, surprise, actually the Knights Templar in disguise, and they are... doing something? that involves shoving you in the VR so that they can, uhh, spy on your ancient ancestors I think, and maybe find a hidden nazi treasure or whatever. Because it turns out that every assassin in Human history was, get this, all part of another conspiracy org that has been doing battle with the Knights Templar since primordial times. I don't believe that anything of value is ever revealed about the Assassins, where they came from, or what their goals are, other than that they are the enemies of the Knights Templar.

Yeah I know most of that, but the knights templar are the baddies, right? surely a traditional conservative angle would be that they're the good ones, and that christian hegemony should be protected, not assassinated.

jokes posted:

Assassin’s creed games loving suck but I could see how conspiracy theorists and republicans can feel right at home in a game about Illuminatis doing battle with each other in some weird secret war

That makes sense though.

edit:

I just looked up spoilers and goddamnit it gets so much worse than all of that. The Knights Templar are trying to resurrect Greek Gods and use them to destroy Humanity or whatever, and the ancient assassins steal the Apple of Eden from them and eat it to become blessed god-creatures which gives them the ability to communicate with you in the future.

ah now i get it. the KT are fake christians, and assassins are the real christians. it all makes sense now. it's about purifying heresy.

(you know, despite the historical group the assassins are based on being muslims.)

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 23, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

iirc the Knights Templar are trying to use a network of satellites to destroy individuality and turn everyone into obedient drones, so the bad guys are trying to achieve a conservative's wet dream; it's practically the plot of a 1970s rock opera. Conservapedia actually says the entire franchise is woke-infected except AC Unity, since that one takes place during the French Revolution and is unapologetically pro-monarchy. Like I never thought I'd see a game trying to stan for Marie Antoinette of all people

The backstory of the assassins is that they're all very bad at their jobs and dying constantly but occasionally a really good one comes along. That's it. Centuries of defeat after defeat broken up by the occasional wunderkind killing a pope or whatever

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 23, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am getting sucked into a rabbit hole of truly terrible videogame lore wikis right now, but the reason the Knights Templar are the bad-guys is because it turns out there was a different race of humans that lived on Earth long before Humans, and then when Humans were born war broke out between them and the Humans destroyed the old humans (called "Isu") except for one of them named Juno, who is immortal and wants to destroy all of humanity except the Assassins locked them away in a cave forever, and the secret key to open the cave was the Apple of Eden which the Templars want to build into a satellite? Anyway, Juno is mind-controlling or manipulating the Knights Templar or something, idk

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

iirc the Knights Templar are trying to use a network of satellites to destroy individuality and turn everyone into obedient drones, so the bad guys are trying to achieve a conservative's wet dream; it's practically the plot of a 1970s rock opera. Conservapedia actually says the entire franchise is woke-infected except AC Unity, since that one takes place during the French Revolution and is unapologetically pro-monarchy. Like I never thought I'd see a game trying to stan for Marie Antoinette of all people

The backstory of the assassins is that they're all very bad at their jobs and dying constantly but occasionally a really good one comes along. That's it. Centuries of defeat after defeat broken up by the occasional wunderkind killing a pope or whatever

This post made me curious what conservapedia thinks about Dwarf Fortress but they don't even have an article on it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

"Lazy programmers" is so stupid, i feel like those guys work their asses off within their means and the time allowed. They aren't sitting there making tileset games so they can jack off their tiny programmer dicks instead.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

"Lazy programmers" is so stupid, i feel like those guys work their asses off within their means and the time allowed. They aren't sitting there making tileset games so they can jack off their tiny programmer dicks instead.

Yeah they are, dumbass

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am getting sucked into a rabbit hole of truly terrible videogame lore wikis right now, but the reason the Knights Templar are the bad-guys is because it turns out there was a different race of humans that lived on Earth long before Humans, and then when Humans were born war broke out between them and the Humans destroyed the old humans (called "Isu") except for one of them named Juno, who is immortal and wants to destroy all of humanity except the Assassins locked them away in a cave forever, and the secret key to open the cave was the Apple of Eden which the Templars want to build into a satellite? Anyway, Juno is mind-controlling or manipulating the Knights Templar or something, idk

You can't convince me that you didn't copy-paste this out of some scientology thing, come on just admit it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wish, but no:
https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Juno
https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Isu

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

pro-capitalism; extremely bourgeois, promote house ownership as the only way to live

the sims does generally promote social progressivism though so it's more "american liberal" than full-on conservative. animal crossing otoh has extreme-christian traditionalist cottagecore vibes

pro-totalitarianism/monarchy, racial differences codified in fictional biology, generally very patriarchal (e.g. damsel in distress trope) despite occasional "girlboss" moments

this one i don't get though; I haven't played them but aren't they about assassinating members of the european christian hegemony, for some sort of pro-egalitarian (pro-muslim?) purpose?

i am sorry but you have been internet poisoned and its terminal

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

the big twist is that they should be allies and the real enemies are ancient aliens or smth i dunno man

quote:

Oh yeah, I also played Assassin's Creed 2: The one where Leonardo DaVinci acts as quite literally your ancient equivalent of Q from James Bond, and you get all excited because he's promising to make all of these fantastical contraptions for you and stuff

And then the only thing he makes you is a knife that you can conceal in your shirt sleeve. And then you lose that one so he makes you another one.

hey now. he also makes the paraglider wings, so you have to do those stupid flying missions

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lmao okay so I guess the reason the right considers assassin's Creed to be too woke is that canonically the Judeo-Christian God is literally a race of aliens that lived on Earth before Humans, created Humans, and then got killed by Humans, and now wants to kill humans in revenge. And the individuals that made up that race of aliens were the Roman gods.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 23, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Lmao okay so I guess the reason the right considers assassin's Creed to be too woke is that canonically the Judeo-Christian God is literally a race of aliens that lived on Earth before Humans, created Humans, and then got killed by Humans, and now wants to kill humans in revenge.

Is this... no longer the case in AC Unity? Or do they just let it slide because that one was fascist enough in other areas?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Apparently they have been in every single AC game but they weren't given the name "Isu" until the game that came after Unity

I've actually played four AC games because I played the Egypt one too, and I had no idea that this was a thing until I read the wiki.

Anyway, it turns out they weren't only the Roman gods: They're every historical pantheon of gods. But the games have only featured gods from the Roman, Norse, Celtic, and Egyptian pantheons.

side note: I didn't even realize that there were more than 6 AC games (1-4 then the egypt/greek ones), but I guess a lot of these were phone games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 23, 2023

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

People say fromsoft games are hard but I've started 5 asscreed games and failed to finish a single one of them, so who is it that really makes the hard games? Makes you think

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They include the Mormon pantheon by making North America the place all the gods liked to live circa 75,000 BCE

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I beat the first Assassin's Creed and stopped about 20 hours into AC2 and that's more than anyone realistically needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's time to bring back ezio