Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Video Nasty posted:

oh yeah, for Torrent, RE: skeletons

To "put down" a skeleton, you need to whack its bones when the blue spirit glow starts piecing them back together. That puts them down for good.

Yeah Torrent just kill them and then attack their glowing bone pile. You'll know it worked because you'll get runes which means they are dead dead.

If the skeletons have a sort of black and blue flame effect around them then you're in a dungeon with necromancers (they just look like dudes) and killing the necromancers will make all of their skeletons die (but sometimes the necromancers are hard to find).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

Man I do not understand PC performance still. Got a 2080ti and an amd 3600 and a couple months ago I was getting a pretty steady 60fps at 1440p. Fired it back up today and no matter what I set things to I seem to be getting 45-55 fps and micro stutters are back. It’s tempting to just go back to PS5 version which even though it has some drops it’s more consistent. Blagh lol

I have struggled with stuttering on all of Fromsoft's PC titles. eventually locking my monitor's refresh rate at 60hz fixed it for me but I'm not enough of a computer genius to understand why; on paper i don't think that should've been the issue but it seems to have fixed it for me regardless. in the case of elden ring PS5 does still perform better but this might be worth trying

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Starscourge Greatsword is the good drugs they give you to get you addicted to the bonk. Perfectly fine sword to carry you through PVE. Does lack some pizzazz vs an enemy that can dodge roll. Then you discover other bonks like ruins greatsword and shirtless power stancing.

A lot of ELG's comments take into account pvp too. Rememberance weapons all have gimmicks that are usually manageable by paying attention.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Starscourge Swords are my favorite weapon in the game, I did 1.5 playthroughs with them and only put them down because I forced myself to. They're very well rounded bonk that hits like a truck with the perfect ash of war for colossals. Definitely very very good but just short of what I'd call OP. Being twinned you don't get the STR bonus from two-handing, but your R1 becomes a powerstance attack set and you can still block and guard counter with L1. Basically everything about them rule but they're on the short side for their weapon class (which is to say they've got the reach of a good sized great hammer)

edit - and they look cool as hell and the ash of war just rocks. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! *rips big enemy off bridge and follows up on the other with a 2500 damage explosion*

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 22, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the vertical range on the ash isn't disproportionate to gravitas but with the larger radius you can pull people down from absurd heights

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

With the albinaurics by the bird it's also probably the fastest rune farming weapon in the game before the relic sword. Run forward, L2 L2, run forward, L2 L2, run back with like 30k more runes, repeat until all your consumables are back to full and weapons upgraded (or put them into levels if you're into that kind of thing)

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Everyone posted:

Skeleton stuff.

Wow, I feel silly. I'd gotten so used to the idea that I couldn't harm enemies until they'd gotten back up to their feet that I guess I never tried smashing the bone piles. Thanks, all!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lock-on doesn’t automatically target them for some reason (probably to preserve this mystery) but you can lock on if you’re having trouble hitting the ground.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

When the game was new I felt like a loving genius when I discovered you could keep the skeletons down if you hit the bones with a torch. Left a message by the bone bois to try fire, and got a lot of likes. Felt real dumb when I found out that you could just hit them with anything at all and sheepishly deleted the note.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

actionjackson posted:

for regular curved swords, is scavenger + bandit the best dual weilding combo?

For arc/dex build yes, but wing of astel + cold bandit is super potent for int users as well.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

for regular curved swords, is scavenger + bandit the best dual weilding combo?

scimitars have slightly lower base damage and poor range but they attack faster than other curved swords, almost as fast as daggers, and it's pretty noticeable on both status and damage builds

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

scimitars have slightly lower base damage and poor range but they attack faster than other curved swords, almost as fast as daggers, and it's pretty noticeable on both status and damage builds

The Shamshir has the same moveset but is better in pretty much every way.

You can't see it here, but it's my close quarters weapon for my Morag Tong assassin.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 22, 2023

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

7c Nickel posted:

The shamshir was the first weapon that I really loved in this game. I used it lightning infused on a pure dex build and it was so fun. I like the two-handed moveset better for pvp, but the powerstanced running attacks absolutely shred the pve.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

You can't see it here, but it's my close quarters weapon for my Morag Tong assassin.

yeah the shamshir has the same properties with a different moveset and its also really good

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

yeah the shamshir has the same properties with a different moveset and its also really good

???

No, it's literally the exact same moveset.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Godrick the Grafted isn't a nice man so I distracted him with a jellyfish and slashed his rear end from behind.

also I just, at level 33, figured out how to unequip the shield I haven't used at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No judgment. There's an embarrassing number of mechanics you can just fail to understand, especially if it's your first Souls game. The other day I came across a video of some guy's first Malenia kill that still had the 5% HP hug lady debuff on him lmao.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I found the Jellyfish surprisingly good in that round, he struggles to hit it in the air and the poison proc added up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

No judgment. There's an embarrassing number of mechanics you can just fail to understand, especially if it's your first Souls game. The other day I came across a video of some guy's first Malenia kill that still had the 5% HP hug lady debuff on him lmao.

having some kind of "current active status effects" screen in the menu would've been nice but, alas, programming is still yet in its infancy

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
-5% hp plagued me for about 20 hours. Was really confused why every time I leveled Vigor the actual max HP value was incorrect once I left the grace.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Oh man what a day.

I was able to get down Maliketh, The Black Blade, and Godfrey / Hoarah Loux, Warrior.

Now I am currently what I believe is to be the final boss. I was able to get the Elden Beast down to 1/10th of health by getting lucky and immediately unlucky at the end.

Wish me luck!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Use holy resist Talisman/Incantation/Food.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Katamari Democracy posted:

Oh man what a day.

I was able to get down Maliketh, The Black Blade, and Godfrey / Hoarah Loux, Warrior.

Now I am currently what I believe is to be the final boss. I was able to get the Elden Beast down to 1/10th of health by getting lucky and immediately unlucky at the end.

Wish me luck!

Nice! Elden Beast isn’t too bad although it has a couple attacks which will definitely get you at least once once. Maliketh and WARRIAHHH killed me much more because they’re so aggressive. Elden Beast gives you a lot of time to think.

Did you do the other branch end shardbearers?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can delay going to NG+ when they ask and go to it any time you want from Roundtable Hold, if you're worried about knocking Beast down and getting auto-locked to it.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

skasion posted:

Did you do the other branch end shardbearers?

Huh?

War Wizard posted:

Use holy resist Talisman/Incantation/Food.

HUH!?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Elden Beast's laser sword shockwaves are particularly nasty. They do a lot of damage, and the dodge windows are narrow.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yeah I've never worked out a good way of rolling that particular attack.

Anyway, Radagon and Elden Beast attacks can be trivialized with Holy damage absorption stacking. The Haligdrake Talisman +2 gives +20% holy damage absorption. Holyproof Dried Liver gives +15% absorb. The Divine Fortification incantation, which requires 10 FAI, gives +35% absorb. The Lord's Divine Fortification, which requires 27 FAI, gives a whopping +60% absorb.

The latter 3 of these all count as body buffs, so will not stack, and will override other body buffs like Flame, Grant me Strength.

Another consideration is that there is no such thing as diminishing returns when you stack absorption. No, Haligdrake +2 and Lord's Divine Fortification stacked together will not add into +80% holy absorb. Instead, treat each individual source of absorption as a mechanism to give you effective HP. +20% absorption means that your base 1900 HP is only taking 80% of what it normally would, giving you x1.25 multiplier on your EHP. +60% absorption makes you take 40% of what your normally would, giving you a x2.5 multiplier. Each multiplier multiplies with everything else, meaning there is no such thing as a diminishing return on your EHP. And yes, each piece of armor counts as an individual multiplier on your EHP.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I was not aware I had a +2 Talisman to Holy defense. But equipping it really brought out the biggest problem with Ratagon and I.

His timing. I am not used to it and it freaks me out every time. I watched a video and turned the Black Blade sword I got from Maliketh and on the cover it seems good for the fight. But it did not work out as well as my twin Starscourge Greatswords. Out of these attempts I would usually summon something to tank him as I tried to wail on him. Keeping very close while learning how to dodge him. Sometimes its good and sometimes it's bad. But for the times that are good I would fight the Elden Beast and would perform well up until the rings on the ground or when he is mobile. Trying to hit him is horrible.

I will get him down. It's only a matter of time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wow bloody Slash as samurai trivialises like half the enemies in the (early) game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Malekieth's Black Blade has a useful HP-reducing effect, but it runs straight into Radagon and the Elden Beast's massive Holy resistance. The Blasphemous Blade, on the other hand, is almost ideal against them - it hits like a truck, restores your health, doesn't rely on any status effects they're immune to, and exploits Radagon's deadly weakness to Fire damage. The Elden Beast is more fire-resistant (its weakness is pure physical damage), but the BB's sheer power, range, and longevity-boosting effects still make it a very respectable choice for engaging the big nasty.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I spent a while cooping for Radda Radda and I found I could basically do it solo with my faith build using godslayer incants and Lord's Divine Protection, throwing a LDP on the host was basically taking them from 'instantly dead in one bad move' to 'could do the same thing 3 more times' turns out both bosses rely too heavily on holy damage as well as having insane holy resistance

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Motherfucker posted:

I spent a while cooping for Radda Radda and I found I could basically do it solo with my faith build using godslayer incants and Lord's Divine Protection, throwing a LDP on the host was basically taking them from 'instantly dead in one bad move' to 'could do the same thing 3 more times' turns out both bosses rely too heavily on holy damage as well as having insane holy resistance

Faith builds absolutely stomp Radagon yeah. I've tried using blackflame incantations against Radagon, but his health bar isn't long enough for the percentage effect to really work. Oh wow you deal 5% of their health bar over 2 seconds (without stacking).

Instead, I prefer to either spam catch flames in between his attacks, or power stance straight/curved swords that have flame art infusion. This actually pumps out silly amounts of damage, relyng purely on rustic play. You can actually fit in alot of attacks in the midst of Radagon's combos.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Finally took down Placidusax after three failed attempts with the doot cannon

https://youtu.be/_C9W332QW1k

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Video Nasty posted:

Finally took down Placidusax after three failed attempts with the doot cannon

https://youtu.be/_C9W332QW1k

That stagger was either absolutely masterfully planned for or amazingly lucky lol

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

exquisite tea posted:

I had that on for 1.5 playthroughs :smug:

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The +0 upgrade run continues. Not gone back to face off against the gargoyle pair yet. I've cleared out nearly all the Altus overworld, only a couple field bosses and dungeons remain. I've wandered over into Gelmir for now, where I'm having some unexpected trouble with the magma wyrm. Sword attacks aren't too scary, but the charge/march it can do three times in a row is a bastard, really Gaping Dragon-esque in how you can't be anywhere near him. It's made all the worse by getting caught on uneven terrain. Every time I've gotten him to rear up into phase two I've just been making dumb mistakes.

Might be time to relax the restrictions to "can only use smithing stones up to what can be purchased from the Twin Maiden Husk." It'll be painful not being able to use every weapon in my arsenal, being flexible in my approach has been astoundingly fun but sometimes you just need raw damage.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
ay listen Baldachin's blessing is no joke. 5% hp is a small price to pay for that kaioken super saiyan rear end pocket endure

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Holy wow, I just realized something (endgame spoilers since there’s new players): Rahdan and Radagon are the only two humanoid bosses who don’t talk before fighting because they’re both hollowed out husks of their former selves (I just assume in Radagon’s case because he sure looks it) which means Rahdan got to be just like his hero!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Boy howdy, am I ever glad that everybody gave me skeleton-killing tips this morning, because this was the most skeleton-filled session I've had.

I started out still exploring the plague-filled swamp. At the far end, I came across a ruined town under a giant skull, full of ghost wizards. This was another 'take it slow, and you will be okay' sort of place, as one or two ghosts was not a problem, but more than that meant it was time to gallop away. This place had a couple unique features beyond the hauntings... first, a bit of Assassin's Creed flavor where I got to run along rooftops and climb towers to activate things. And second, brightly-glowing message spots that use actual clear language to tell me to go visit a shack outside of town, and don't mention rumps at all. So, sure, I'll do what the ground says. There's an old guy there who wants me to find a gold needle to stab a plague victim named Millicent with. Hey, wait, Millicent? That's the jerk who invaded me last night! Yeah, I'mma stab her good.

The problem is, finding a needle in the swamp is like... well... I can't think of a good analogy for how tough it is to find a small thing inside a big thing, but you get the idea. So I rode around a lot, killed a bunch of paladins, dragonflies, some robots, and ignored the big farting tumors. Found some nicely-creepy environmental storytelling, with a bunch of corpses chained in chairs at the edge of the swamp. Was it punishment? Research? A fetish party gone wrong? Eventually, I stumbled across Commander O'Neil, an armored dude who summoned ghost soldiers and was polite enough to die without too much hassle. And it turned out that he had the golden needle! Back to the village where the ghosts... well, not 'live', but hang out, I guess? I handed the needle over to the quest-giver, who wanted some time to do needle things with it. In exchange, he told me the fabulous secret of the village: you can Assassin's Creed run along rooftops and climb towers to activate things! Thanks, dude.

Since he needed a little time, I went over to check out the boss area that the tower-torches had unlocked. It was another boss fight against two mostly-normal enemies, different flavors of Nox. I used my usual strategy of 'summon marionettes to split aggro, kill one at a time', which worked out quite well. I think this bumped me up to two non-field boss fights I've won without dying! And that was enough time to get the gold needle back, so I climbed skeleton hill to get to the church of the plague. drat, it feels good to know how to kill skeletons! Millicent stabbed herself with the needle, and unsurprisingly it seems like it did something bad to her. She didn't die, which WAS a surprise, but she's non-responsive. She really shouldn't have invaded me.

While I was in the area, I re-checked the bat keep (Fort Faroth) on Epic High Five's advice, but didn't find anything that I had missed. I got the [spoiler]medallion half and the Soreseal[/b] the last time; is there something else? Those blue ghosts give solid experience, so I didn't mind clearing them out again.

Then it was time to take some more advice, and go sneak past the baleful eye of Sauron. Honestly, I'd thought that I was being flip about something I'd half-glimpsed, but no, that's just a tower with a big flaming ball above it. Getting up there was a brutal climb. I went through about six healing potions, and certainly would've died if I hadn't been raising Vigor as suggested, but I made it! And now the tower is out, thank goodness.

Now able to safely wander the area, I discovered the Black Knife Catacombs, and thank loving goodness I know how to fight skeletons now, because this place was full of them. I also encountered my first necromancer. It was fun learning that I could just run past the skeletons to kill the necromancer, and the skeletons would die on their own. This dungeon also had some lame traps - big blades that would smash down from the ceiling, that were easy to avoid even with skeleton archers behind them. But the archers wouldn't die, even with no necromancer in sight, so I just moved on to a crab-filled dead-end basement. Huh. On the way back through the blade room, someone threw a fire bomb at me. Weird; there hadn't been anything but archers in there before. Then I noticed that there was a balcony, one that I could reach by riding a blade trap up like I was Mario. Hidden necromancer: defeated. Switch to open the dead end: flipped. Secret wall with smoke behind it: discovered. But I was at half health and entirely out of resources, so I let the smoke wait until later and doubled back to heal up at the entrance, and then go through the door I'd opened. Huh, a second bit of boss smoke. It was another one of those teleporting shadow things that my marionettes love to kill, backed up by a few skeletons that I love to kill. Not much challenge there, so I doubled back through to the other boss area, which held a Black Knife Assassin. Makes sense, given the name of the dungeon. Sadly, no summoning allowed here, so this one took me a few tries, and I had to switch from my skeleton-bashing mace back to the halberd to keep up with this agile bastard. But he eventually fell, and I claimed his knife.

Then it was some more riding around - a minor Erdtree, a tower where I had to put on a special hat and emote to get in, and the living versions of those ghost vikings from the underground river. And, speaking of the underground river, I found another elevator leading way underground. This one was full of gi-ants. I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that Elden Ring would go with 'just a big bug' after how weird and creative most enemy designs have been. Now, thread, I'm not proud to have to admit this, but I've played enough Grounded to know that one ant is easy, and a swarm of them is deadly. So I must admit that I used a bow. The ants did not really seem curious about where their fellows were going, so I was able to clear the hive one-by-one and then kill the queen. And then it was into another chamber that was absolutely STUFFED with these slow-moving stone guys. They were so slow that even small groups were not a threat, but there were many, many large groups, and I eventually got overwhelmed and had to retreat. Into a room with a... something... hanging from the ceiling. Some kind of enormous moth thing? It fired a hailstorm of scales or something at me, so I retreated back into the stone guy room, and out another exit, which took me into another stone-guy area, which also turned out to be the same room with the moth in it. Cue a lot of running, until I finally got to a spot with no stone guys and cover from the moth. And, thread, I must admit that I used a bow. It took me twenty-something arrows, but I killed that moth. Then I had to kill all the stone guys while forging a path up to where the moth had been. From their perspective, I probably had super-speed. And up in the alcove behind the moth was... nothing? That can't be right. But no walls concealed secret passages, and no rubble hid any loot. Kind of a downer to end on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

You have been following an underground river.

Surely it must be flowing to somewhere.