Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maxey is lighting the kings up holy cow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers came out after halftime and are basically driving to the basket on every attempt (Becuase Sabonis stinks )

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is 6 foot maxey just taking it right at Sabonis in the third

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is what maxey saw earlier in that play

no fear

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sabonis’ nazi haircut no doubt helping him with the refs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is Sabonis playing “help” “defense” on a George’s niang drive

doesn’t even leave the ground

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sacramento probably has the most multicultural crowd in the nba

maybe Toronto

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

end of the game - sixers go back to the kings biggest weakness

attacking Sabonis

not much of a contest

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he’s so good you can probably let harden walk if he asks for too much (like anything over 3 years )

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/KevinGarnett5KG/status/1617025564426276865

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like: the blazers
i hate: the lakers

so that was a cool 2nd quarter

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
crypto.com heh

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

Sixers came out after halftime and are basically driving to the basket on every attempt (Becuase Sabonis stinks )

His interior defense was better before he broke his thumb

His help defense... yeah it's really loving bad lol

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Real question we all need to ask: if the Lakers finish top 4-5 in the West after a 2-12 start can 38 year old Lebron take home an MVP???

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe but the writers have walked themselves into a place where only jokic can win

it’s kind of strange

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the mistake of last year is really bright now that he’s actually putting up a season where deserves one . and now they are going to give him an absurd 3 in a row

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

saying it another way : after their disastrous vote last year , you would think the writers would realize their error and vote for Tatum or Ja or Giannis . but there is no indication they are thinking that. in fact I notice they are getting even more hardline into to the “only jokic can be mvp “ groupthink

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I think Tatum or Embiid are having great enough seasons and are high enough in the standings that they could win with a Jokic injury. Lakers being a high seed after their terrible start without AD for much of the year would put Lebron in the discussion at least

Jokic is having an absurd season though it's just silly at this point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he def is in the running based on historic criteria

the problem is giving him 3 in a row is totally ludicrous. Lebron only has 4 !

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm guessing the writers will talk themselves into giving it to Luka, even though Jokic will objectively have a better season, mostly on the basis of "Luka does what he does with a distinctly worse supporting cast" but it'll really be because writers like to talk themselves into doing something unexpected because they confuse doing something unexpected and with doing something smart.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
if they decide to cool Jokic for a season and give it to Luka over Giannis or Durant (or LeBron if Lakers finish top 4) it is solely because they want to vote for a white person

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

if they give it to Luka over Giannis or Durant (or LeBron if Lakers finish top 4) it is solely because they want to vote for a white person

i mean, this is a big part of why they're going to do it yeah, i was more speaking of why they are going to go for luka specifically over jokic

also, the writers don't talk about it, but there's definitely an open conspiracy to spread MVP titles around. so they're gonna be looking for any excuse to not give it to jokic, and luka doing what he's doing when the rest of the Mavs roster is what it is is a pretty good reason. personally, I'm partial to that argument overall. KG was the MVP for drat near every season he was with the Wolves but didn't get it because the team surrounded him with players barely over the mendoza line. LeBron should rightly have at least twice as many MVPs as he does, but writers like to make the "smart" pick and don't want to pick the best player in the league because the previous generation of writers gave Kareem "only" 6 or MJ "only" 5.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as you know, I listen to a lot of NBA podcasts, and there is no evidence at this time of any conspiracy among writers to move the MVP away from Jokic this year. I agree that under historical norms for the award, there was such a feeling or criteria that one guy should not get it over and over.

if anything, the NBA riders seem as a class to be at historically high levels of bullishness on Jokić being the MVP . I’m not kidding when I say that it appears they are starting to just define the award as a Jokic and jokic as the award. To say another way, the sole criteria for being a mVP now it seems is to be as much like Jokić as possible.

The good news is that the front runner for the award in December and January sometimes ends up, not winning as the riders talked themselves into some other person by the time the season ends in May or whatever.

edit

writers not riders

text to speech does not like my accent

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 24, 2023

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
Tatum will win because they're gonna win 63+ and he's averaging 30. That + Boston is like catnip to NBA writers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I listen to a few sports podcasts and the sports book ad reads all being followed by 20-30 seconds of disclaimers and gambling addiction hotline numbers is very upsetting

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Azathoth posted:

i mean, this is a big part of why they're going to do it yeah, i was more speaking of why they are going to go for luka specifically over jokic

also, the writers don't talk about it, but there's definitely an open conspiracy to spread MVP titles around. so they're gonna be looking for any excuse to not give it to jokic, and luka doing what he's doing when the rest of the Mavs roster is what it is is a pretty good reason. personally, I'm partial to that argument overall. KG was the MVP for drat near every season he was with the Wolves but didn't get it because the team surrounded him with players barely over the mendoza line. LeBron should rightly have at least twice as many MVPs as he does, but writers like to make the "smart" pick and don't want to pick the best player in the league because the previous generation of writers gave Kareem "only" 6 or MJ "only" 5.

For that, Dallas will have to finish better than 5th and they just lost Christian Wood so I'm very skeptical

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

edit

writers not riders

text to speech does not like my accent

they are definitely jokic riders

In other news I like the Hachimura signing by LA a lot. Makes them much more young/explosive. Lakers a threat

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 24, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not on Twitter so you are going to have to post these trades.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

I’m not on Twitter so you are going to have to post these trades.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1617584801686650881

"Finalized deal: Rui Hachimura for Kendrick Nunn, 2023 second via Chicago, 2029 LA second and and less favorable of 2028 Washington/LA seconds, sources tell ESPN."

I love this whole thing where the Lakers are mortgaging their entire future to win another title for Lebron. It's very funny (I guess Hachimura is 25 tho)

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 24, 2023

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

trading a pile of trash for Rui seems pretty good for LA.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah the Lakers managed to get a better trade than Boston did for Brogdon

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lamar hurd has been absent from blazers commentating team for like two weeks after getting sick with [something] i hope he's ok

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

lol Magic are 3-1 against Boston this year

MAGA Isaac is back. Maybe they can go on a streak and get to the play in tournament

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yossarian-22 posted:

lol Magic are 3-1 against Boston this year

MAGA Isaac is back. Maybe they can go on a streak and get to the play in tournament

they’re bulls jr

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Magic are way more top heavy. They have a +17.5 net rating with Fultz/Harris/Banchero/Wagner/Carter Jr. which is 2nd best for all lineups with more 100 minutes played https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced?dir=D&sort=MIN

Isaac and a few other viable bench players would make the Magic extremely viable. Their future is super bright

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yossarian-22 posted:

Magic are way more top heavy. They have a +17.5 net rating with Fultz/Harris/Banchero/Wagner/Carter Jr. which is 2nd best for all lineups with more 100 minutes played https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced?dir=D&sort=MIN

Isaac and a few other viable bench players would make the Magic extremely viable. Their future is super bright

i didn’t read this post but the magic winning against the celtics means they’re p deece

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Yeah they just need a bench

Also https://twitter.com/NBA_University/status/1617623236447211520

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Jalen Suggs was supposed to be better

The Magic defense with Isaac might be good again too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

if they replaced fultz with a real pg that could be a good line up in 5 years or so. maybe 4. by good I mean maybe make the playoffs