Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah and the same thing happened to verticality

Apex is a kind of interesting example of both the movement and verticality in that it has significantly more of each than basically any other popular shooter and in no small part is popular because it makes the game much more dynamic. On the other hand, the massive apex controller aim assist controversy is the yin to that yang. As unpopular as it is, i think it's the correct choice insofar as controller players are otherwise just at a huge disadvantage. It's kind of wild just how much aim assist it takes to balance out the drawbacks of controllers.

apex continuing to be popular gives me some hope that we keep getting significant movement tech in games and particularly in whatever comes next from respawn.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah and the same thing happened to verticality

Apex is a kind of interesting example of both the movement and verticality in that it has significantly more of each than basically any other popular shooter and in no small part is popular because it makes the game much more dynamic. On the other hand, the massive apex controller aim assist controversy is the yin to that yang. As unpopular as it is, i think it's the correct choice insofar as controller players are otherwise just at a huge disadvantage. It's kind of wild just how much aim assist it takes to balance out the drawbacks of controllers.

apex continuing to be popular gives me some hope that we keep getting significant movement tech in games and particularly in whatever comes next from respawn.

controllers wouldn't need aim assist if more devs used gyro and flick stick.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's not about devs it's about what the vast majority of players are using

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the overwhelming majority of video game players are using a controller or a phone

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yes that's my point? and they're almost entirely using one of the traditional controller control schemes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

implementing gyro+flick stick universally would completely shut down any need for devs to compensate with aim assist. give people the options, especially as defaults, and they will use them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
what if people have too much fun then?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There has to be a middle ground between "No aim assist" and Apex's "Literally locks you center mass while you're doing the movement poo poo".

I think the time I quit was when I saw some dude just walking around using his lift ability with the stock SMG and then one clipping people at assault rifle ranges while he zoomed through the air. I gave it a go, realized that I could do the same thing with a controller in a few hours that I could do with a couple years of k+m practice.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
miss this game

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wazzit posted:

miss this game

Me too, me too

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wazzit posted:

miss this game

ion snipe compilations sorely missed

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Honestly, poo poo like this is the Holy Grail of gaming to me. Like skiing in OG Tribes: I love when some small quirk of the coding creates an entirely unintended meta which turns the game into something else that was never designed.

Same, it's these little things that made so many games shine bright. Melee, Titanfall, Mario Kart, MvC2, TFC. There's a certain level of brokenness that, if it can be honed, makes a game really interesting. It has to be right at the edge where that brokenness that's right on the edge of being a skill teetering, but never falling into exploit territory.

I grew up in the Half-Life days, where every match was a mix of casuals/sweaty nerds and games only got patched every couple months because Fileplanet was the main source of distribution. It was great seeing how a meta evolved with a patch and how people just kinda put up with poo poo back then and you didn't really see the playerbase die because it was too hard to get into, people would just adapt or move onto another game. The bitching was rampant over comms but people still stuck around.

But these days everything has to be super accessible and homogenized. It's all so safe and boring, but you want most of your playerbase in the multiplayer spending money on cosmetics and unlocking battle passes.

Early 2000s PC gaming was dope.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just wanna see a Titanfall 3 just so it'd revitalize the player base and it might survive for a year or two especially with a bunch of price drops after launch.

Man I loved Titanfall 2 but (as a primary console player) its time has passed for me. I'm not a fan of how everything is some kind of f2p battlepass chase or a battle Royale these days.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If they brought out Titanfall 3 and filled it full of season passes and other "live services" poo poo I would be very sad. Very very sad.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
One of the many things I really enjoyed about the TF games was the use of bots to populate matches and make them feel like bigger battles. I'd love to see more of that, especially with the current Gen systems.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If they brought out Titanfall 3 and filled it full of season passes and other "live services" poo poo I would be very sad. Very very sad.

Oh agreed. I've been playing multiplayer stuff a lot less since 2017 and before. The amount of hours spent has declined every year.

And the sad thing is, realistically that might happen because respawn will have seen how profitable it was for apex legends.

Imagine if it was Overwatch 2 based. You have to fill out season passes just to get other titans or something. Or even to get different attachments.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Kingtheninja posted:

One of the many things I really enjoyed about the TF games was the use of bots to populate matches and make them feel like bigger battles. I'd love to see more of that, especially with the current Gen systems.

Yeah I liked that too, it really fleshed out the bigger maps. Hell I would be cool with them throwing in a few AI titans too. And it was nice if I was having an off game I feel like I was still contributing.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

DMZ in MW2 has bots kinda like attrition but I generally dislike single-life modes and stick to domination/hardpoint/etc

All I want is TF3 with attrition/hardpoint/CTF but it’s pretty hard to imagine it happening these days :sigh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I miss FPS games with set weapons and not an enormous line up of weaponry you need to spend weeks unlocking along with further weeks grinding to unlock the attachments to try and make them as good as the ones being used to kill you over and over.

I just want to play an FPS that's accessible pretty much straight away, no added nonsense to try and artificially extend playtime...

Titanfall 2 is so good it absolutely has ruined anything else since for me.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I love TF2, but you are literally describing the TF2 level progression.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I miss FPS games with set weapons and not an enormous line up of weaponry you need to spend weeks unlocking along with further weeks grinding to unlock the attachments to try and make them as good as the ones being used to kill you over and over.

I just want to play an FPS that's accessible pretty much straight away, no added nonsense to try and artificially extend playtime...

Titanfall 2 is so good it absolutely has ruined anything else since for me.

Level progression/unlock culture hits so many serotonin/dopamine receptors that we'll probably never see the old days of one and done in AAA titles.

Grind forever kiddos!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REHDRMLzTsQ

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Network42 posted:

Both this TF2 and the other TF2 in fact

Also I have this sneaking suspicion that if we did get a Titanfall 3 at this point that they might make it Titan only to keep it and Apex Legends(either the current one or a hypothetical sequel) more distinct from each other

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Eyud posted:

DMZ in MW2 has bots kinda like attrition but I generally dislike single-life modes and stick to domination/hardpoint/etc

All I want is TF3 with attrition/hardpoint/CTF but it’s pretty hard to imagine it happening these days :sigh:

MW2’s multiplayer has an Attrition-like mode called Invasion. Unfortunately the Ground War maps in that game are terrible and it’s extremely easy to camp bot spawns with sniper rifles.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Let's face it we'll never have another game like Titanfall 2. Too much dedication to games as a service, the monthly grind, the premiums, etc. for a game to just be a good solid game with maybe, at worst, gear unlocks as level progression.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

They really should just let them make Battlefield: Titanfall.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I seem to recall Titanfall 2's unlocks came pretty quickly I think, and the game showered you with funbux to perma-unlock stuff! For me it was a nice balance of number go up but I can just keep the stuff I like.

Man I miss it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Infidelicious posted:

They really should just let them make Battlefield: Titanfall.

This would be impossible to balance and EXTREMELY fun to play

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Network42 posted:

I was talking more generally, just happens I was doing it in this thread. TF2 is a lot lighter on unlockables and attachments than other games. I certainly didn't feel like I had to grind to unlock everything because I was having so much fun just playing.

Something like CoD is a nightmare of endless unlockables and number go up...

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I've had it on PS4 for years but got it on Steam as it's 90% off at the moment.

Now to figure out Northstar...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Argas posted:

Let's face it we'll never have another game like Titanfall 2. Too much dedication to games as a service, the monthly grind, the premiums, etc. for a game to just be a good solid game with maybe, at worst, gear unlocks as level progression.

These things come in cycles because publishers are overly cautious about change and then oversaturate the market. Sometime in the next decade, everyone will get sick of it and faster, more kinetic gameplay will return. You can already see a desire for it with Apex, ironically.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

3 bucks to play the single player campaign on my Steam Deck!?!?!? Don't mind if I do! Thank you Arbite!!!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

These things come in cycles because publishers are overly cautious about change and then oversaturate the market. Sometime in the next decade, everyone will get sick of it and faster, more kinetic gameplay will return. You can already see a desire for it with Apex, ironically.

Yeah I wasn't talking about the flavor of TF2, I was talking about the framework. You know, the reward structures, the non-short-term goals they use to get you to play and keep playing, and sometimes pay too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

playin dis game rn ityool 2k23

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo I need to get this running on my Deck.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's the deal with TF2 multiplayer on PC these days?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mordja posted:

What's the deal with TF2 multiplayer on PC these days?

It's good although there are the occasional timeouts while matchmaking.

edit: changed this because the DDoS attacks have stopped as of early Feb 2023.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 5, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I played for 5 hours last night on PS5.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I played for 5 hours last night on PS5.

That's great news! Last time I tried it was fried. Good match quality? Do you remember which data center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is frontier defense still happening in places? I'd reinstall for that probably.