Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm sure you've read it already, but The Martian is still one of my favorite reads from the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

God I’m waiting to pick up my car from the detailer and there’s this guy going around asking everyone if they like the bets he made on the SF-DAL game. I think I found what a gambling addict looks like.

Did you tell him no?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dango Bango posted:

Did you tell him no?

Lol I should’ve, but I just told him I didn’t really watch football. Guy seemed to be on something because he was bouncing all over the place. Could not sit still at all.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke was probably my favorite read from last year.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Lol I should’ve, but I just told him I didn’t really watch football. Guy seemed to be on something because he was bouncing all over the place. Could not sit still at all.

Booo. Should have told him about a prop bet you "like" at the very least.

And your description of him reminded me - I was about to back out of my garage. A guy on the sidewalk behind me all of a sudden dropped to his knees, put his hands behind his head like an arrest, then reached to the sky to say some prayers or something. Then he just got up and kept walking.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
After watching The Menu last night I've been craving a good burger. Never made smash burgers and they were an absolute hit. Both kids even polished one off.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Black Tongue theif is still my favourite book from the last two or three years.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Seconding Piranesi and Aubrey-Maturin. If you're an audiobook person the Tull readings of Aubrey-Maturin are really good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Black Tongue theif is still my favourite book from the last two or three years.

it's real good, op

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lady Radia posted:

cry harder lmao

Back 2 ur cord

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I found the Yin to Mana's steak Yang

https://twitter.com/DjMirnum/status/1617008882957647876?t=iBMbA99jZy0i4SuxziyUJg&s=19

T-Square
May 14, 2009

wandler20 posted:

After watching The Menu last night I've been craving a good burger. Never made smash burgers and they were an absolute hit. Both kids even polished one off.

Smash burgs have the best easy:incredible ratio. I’ve had multiple people say “This is the best burger I’ve ever had” and it takes all of five minutes.

Currently looking for an excuse for some dinners with a chuck roast and short ribs so I can grind up some scraps to go with the ground brisket in the freezer for some A+ smash burgs

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

T-Square posted:

Smash burgs have the best easy:incredible ratio. I’ve had multiple people say “This is the best burger I’ve ever had” and it takes all of five minutes.

Currently looking for an excuse for some dinners with a chuck roast and short ribs so I can grind up some scraps to go with the ground brisket in the freezer for some A+ smash burgs

Hell yeah. I need to get some better beef next time but we had some in the freezer. Having a 24" flat top in my range was like a cheat code too.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

T-Square posted:

I roasted a pork belly today and made tacos. I recommend the short rib taco route

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

T-Square posted:

Birria? Guiness pie?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm waiting on the 2nd appliance repair tech to come by tomorrow to look at my 16 year-old LG TROMM unit, with the idea that it may be time to put this out to pasture. I asked in the PYF Products Recommendation thread but what washing machine is the new hotness?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Hell yeah. I need to get some better beef next time but we had some in the freezer. Having a 24" flat top in my range was like a cheat code too.

Yeah, I usually just end up smoking the place out on my cast iron by the third burger :v:

Those are good ideas, might do a short rib birria and try that Guinness pie, but with something other than Guinness because I’ll need to drink the rest of it and Guinness tastes like a half can of stout and a half can of water lol

E:

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm waiting on the 2nd appliance repair tech to come by tomorrow to look at my 16 year-old LG TROMM unit, with the idea that it may be time to put this out to pasture. I asked in the PYF Products Recommendation thread but what washing machine is the new hotness?

Just get a Speed Queen. I’ve seen dozens and dozens of Goon recommendations across multiple sub forums and my friend owns a washer and dryer repair business and that’s always his recommendation. They’re not fancy but they’ll wash your clothes and last forever.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 23, 2023

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm sure you've read it already, but The Martian is still one of my favorite reads from the last few years.

By the same author, I liked Artemis. Fun, quick read.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

Just get a Speed Queen. I’ve seen dozens and dozens of Goon recommendations across multiple sub forums and my friend owns a washer and dryer repair business and that’s always his recommendation. They’re not fancy but they’ll wash your clothes and last forever.

We've got a HE top-load Whirlpool (second of the type, actually) and this fucker has so many balance issues it is driving me crazy. We never really had any issues with the first one, but it was before we had kids and the laundry room wasn't quite so central in our old house.

I'm thinking of just selling it and buying a SpeedQueen, because I hear they're pretty fantastic.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just finished the Bas Lag trilogy by China Mieville and really enjoyed most of it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Apropos of nothing, tonight I made Wheez's chili recipe that gets posted in these threads once or twice a year and it was drat good!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

i fixed a leaking toilet and also the drippy shower this weekend, hell yeah plumbing
get this though
I only had to go to home depot once

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
what kind of sick magic did you summon to do that?

My hot pot new years was delicious and I got to hang out a bit with my friend, so it was cool. The husband of one of her other friends won 1K betting on the Jags last weekend but I didn't ask if he bet on them again this week. Overall a pretty decent weekend to prep for the less fun weekend where I'm going to Longview and Portland to see my mom and some other family.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Leperflesh posted:

i fixed a leaking toilet and also the drippy shower this weekend, hell yeah plumbing
get this though

In my five years of home ownership, no life skill has improved for me as much as toilet repair has.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

get this though

I should check if my toilets are leaking in my new house, since my wastewater bill is high each month.

Honestly, all the toilets in this house are old, likely been here since the house was built ('93) and could use a replacement anyway. Could definitely get one of them fancy lo-flo toilets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

what kind of sick magic did you summon to do that?

13 years of home ownership and a garage full of extra poo poo I never got around to returning to home depot, basically. Plus the innards of toilets are extremely simple, and the main issue with the shower was that some previous owner tiled around the valve stems and then grouted them into place, so once I figured out how to get the handles off, I had to convince myself that yes, I really did need to get a hammer and chisel and crack through grout to get to the valves. Once I had them exposed I could get them out (first start to round off the half-exposed brass valve with an adjustable wrench, and then find a socket that would fit over them and twist the socket with a pipe wrench because the stem stuck through the square hole you'd normally stick the socket wrench into) and so then I basically had a plastic bag full of old corroded plumbing parts to bring with me to home depot and just buy replacements for everything.

This is one of the best tools I've ever bought:

This fucker's a beast, it's hard to judge scale in this stock photo but it's like... 18" long or so? It's the only thing I have that can turn the stiff as hell main water shutoff valve, and it's easy to slide a pipe over the pointy end to get extra leverage if I need it, and the jaw opens to like 1.5" or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I should check if my toilets are leaking in my new house, since my wastewater bill is high each month.

Honestly, all the toilets in this house are old, likely been here since the house was built ('93) and could use a replacement anyway. Could definitely get one of them fancy lo-flo toilets.

If it's a normal toilet you can get replacement guts for the tank and you can somewhat adjust how much water is in it when it shuts off the refill by lowering the float, although you don't want to lower it too much. My mom used to just put a brick in the tank to reduce its capacity during droughts. That was very silly.

You can probably also just replace the tank on the back if you want a lower capacity one. Honestly toilets are cheap, but if you gotta break the wax seal on the floor you're in for a gross messy time so I'm thankful I haven't had to do that in my own house yet.

All that said, your toilets aren't using most of the water you use, unless they're constantly flowing/leaking. You use way more water showering and doing dishes and if you have a lawn you're using far far more just watering it than almost anything else.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

If it's a normal toilet you can get replacement guts for the tank and you can somewhat adjust how much water is in it when it shuts off the refill by lowering the float, although you don't want to lower it too much. My mom used to just put a brick in the tank to reduce its capacity during droughts. That was very silly.

You can probably also just replace the tank on the back if you want a lower capacity one. Honestly toilets are cheap, but if you gotta break the wax seal on the floor you're in for a gross messy time so I'm thankful I haven't had to do that in my own house yet.

All that said, your toilets aren't using most of the water you use, unless they're constantly flowing/leaking. You use way more water showering and doing dishes and if you have a lawn you're using far far more just watering it than almost anything else.

There's one toilet downstairs that our inspector said is probably needing to be replaced since it's gotten unstable over time, so that one is probably gonna be replaced anyway so I may as well get that done.

We got a new dishwasher since the one in the house was borked and required to be run twice to clean stuff, but even with the newer, nicer dishwasher that hasn't changed the water bill so probably means I gotta take shorter showers :shrug:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Double post but I got a catnip infused grocery bag, and

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

seiferguy posted:

Double post but I got a catnip infused grocery bag, and

Give him all the pets

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Nice prep photo but it’d be nice if she shared one from after he cooked it too

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Look, it was boiled 12 minutes like Grandma's recipe says.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

seiferguy posted:

If your toilets were leaking your regular water bill would be high not your waste bill. A leaking toilet will constantly be refilling. My local utility will contact you if your water seems to be running nonstop because your toilet is leaking, a faucet has been running for days, or a pipe broke somewhere.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Same as others, I keep reading about the Speed Queens and I’ve got a new Speed Queen dryer on the way for Thursday myself.

Supposedly if you wash using the normal cycle it’s very wimpy on purpose to meet Energy Star requirements but if you turn it to Permanent Press, it fills the tub and washes much better. At least that’s what I was picking up when reading some Reddit reviews.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dammit! At the airport for work travel and I just realized I forgot my laptop and my headphones with a mic. Freaking covid brain fog from when I got it two months ago.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Silly Burrito posted:

Same as others, I keep reading about the Speed Queens and I’ve got a new Speed Queen dryer on the way for Thursday myself.

Supposedly if you wash using the normal cycle it’s very wimpy on purpose to meet Energy Star requirements but if you turn it to Permanent Press, it fills the tub and washes much better. At least that’s what I was picking up when reading some Reddit reviews.

Yea I think the point of the Speed Queen is to essentially act like an old washer and dryer. Water usage and energy usage restrictions are easily bypassed, and it's built like a tank since it's meant to go in laundromats. I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer soon too, but I'm probably leaning towards more energy efficient ones.

I should probably go to PYF for recommendations, but does anyone have a condensing or heat pump dryer? I have gas available, but I was looking at those since I'm in this mindset of trying to get rid of all of my gas appliances.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Get another LG set, 15 years is a pretty good run and by all accounts the new ones are just as good. Front loaders are far more gentle on clothes so they last longer, and they use a ton less water and in general have better cleaning performance.

In the same way that you really can't go wrong with a Bosch dishwasher, that's LG and washing machines.

I've had an LG set for 10 years at this point and I've had to do minor repairs-- the water inlet valve started leaking and an entire main board swap but both were easy and even the mainboard wasn't more than $100 and the install was trivial. They are very serviceable.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 23, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

If your toilets were leaking your regular water bill would be high not your waste bill. A leaking toilet will constantly be refilling. My local utility will contact you if your water seems to be running nonstop because your toilet is leaking, a faucet has been running for days, or a pipe broke somewhere.

Why would your local utility contact him

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why would your local utility contact him

:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Payroll is pretty fuckin boring most days, but sometimes a fun thing slides across your desk, like a request to cut a check for your loud and annoying, always used to voluntell you for frustrating projects, ex-Director who for some reason lingers around in a different capacity after being removed as Director, loudly talking in meetings all day long’s last two weeks of salary :smug: