Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I just went down a big rabbit hole of wondering if ancient Venus had ever appeared in Doctor Who, and was a little surprised by how little it's been used as a location, with just occasional references in the TV show and some Big Finish and other written material doing stories.

Wonder if there's a reason they've never done it in the show. Romping around the ancient jungles of Venus sounds like good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Senor Tron posted:

I just went down a big rabbit hole of wondering if ancient Venus had ever appeared in Doctor Who, and was a little surprised by how little it's been used as a location, with just occasional references in the TV show and some Big Finish and other written material doing stories.

Wonder if there's a reason they've never done it in the show. Romping around the ancient jungles of Venus sounds like good fun.

How the Doctor Learned Venusian Akido: A Star Wars Story

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If anyone has a smart tv and can download the streaming service called Pluto TV, there's an entire channel that only ever plays classic Doctor Who 24/7. It's pretty cool.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

How the Doctor Learned Venusian Akido: A Star Wars Story

The really odd thing is that it would have to be 1 or 2 that took the martial arts classes on Venus and I don't know which of those I find funnier.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Random Stranger posted:

The really odd thing is that it would have to be 1 or 2 that took the martial arts classes on Venus and I don't know which of those I find funnier.

Oh it was One, no question

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I'd love to see one of the far future humanity eras have a colonized and terraformed Venus. I think even some of these crazy geoengineering projects required to terraform the planet could make interesting settings or plot points in a Who episode. I've been wanting some Venus settings and colonies ever since watching this goofy video on how maybe to pull it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WO-z-QuWI

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Forktoss posted:

Oh it was One, no question

I'd like to think that the Doctor, whichever one it was, went to the Venusian equivalent of a strip mall dojo.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He trained so much that he was left incredibly fatigued and had to sit down and have a break many times afterwards.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
First Doctor went to Venus in a Missing Adventure book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venusian_Lullaby

I'm pretty sure I read it but have absolutely no memory of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That one gets referenced a lot.

BF has a story that explains where the Aikido comes from, because of course they do, and apparently the second doctor learnt it during the Olympics or something

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aikido is such bullshit. Should have schooled himself in Neptunian Bartitsu instead.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

AndyElusive posted:

If anyone has a smart tv and can download the streaming service called Pluto TV, there's an entire channel that only ever plays classic Doctor Who 24/7. It's pretty cool.

I forgot about this - it is indeed pretty awesome. Pluto isn't nearly as bad with commercial breaks as some of other "free" services. There is also a Rifftrax and a classic MST3K channel - I know there's a lot of overlap with posters in those threads/Who so might be of use to some.

AndyElusive posted:

Aikido is such bullshit. Should have schooled himself in Neptunian Bartitsu instead.

Thank you, I love seeing Baritsu referenced in modern day and it would make far more sense for the Doctor (from a meta standpoint at least) learning some variation of it rather than Aikido.

I'm sure there are some practical applications for Aikido out there, but learning to fight with a combat cane seems way more up their alley.

Edit:

Voyage to Venus is a great story - It's a Big Finish outing with 6, Jago and Litefoot.

McGann fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 20, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tom Baker is 89 today! :toot:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1616045637425831937

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Going to buy Kerblam off Amazon.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

AndyElusive posted:

They just released an exclusive preview of the book!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Don't pop the bubble wrap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1617114877406973952

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

More of this sort of thing please

aka do non-current Doctor one shot episodes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Saw THIS listing on blu-ray.com...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh cool, that’s Pertwee complete then?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

They haven't done seasons 7 or 11. I'm sure they went with season 9 because they can have Katy Manning do extras.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I think there's two more Pertwee sets to go. His first season and last seasons don't have box sets as far as I know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh weird, I thought he was a 3 season Doctor.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I would buy Season 7 on blu-ray in a heartbeat, easily one of the most consistently good Classic seasons.

In other news, the official DW Twitter account has been publishing new photos of 5-8, and they are very nice indeed:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1617931515265941510
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1617222089789902848
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1616875057292218371
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1616165629475651586

...except Colin still doesn't have his coat! Come on!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How much say did Colin have in choosing his costume back in the day?

Was LSD involved?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sylv looks so small now! :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Sylv looks so small now! :ohdear:

Yeah.... now....

:3:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Infinitum posted:

Was LSD involved?

I believe the anecdote is that he had more of a 9th doctor look in mind, leather jacket, but that might be something that developed in his mind after the fact.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sly and McGann are almost the same height but the energy is so different

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean there's a few inches between them, from some quick googling McGann is 5'9 and Different sources give McCoy as anywhere between 5'2 and 5'6. Apparently he's had some surgery on his ankles, knees and hips but I don't know if those would make him shorter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Forktoss posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1616165629475651586

...except Colin still doesn't have his coat! Come on!!

most of the time the Doctor feels like a human to me, this is one little thing I think they could really play up to make the Doctor feel a bit alien and give companions' humanness to shine. Have the Doctor and some other species be slow to see certain patterns that seem obvious to humans

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Khanstant posted:

most of the time the Doctor feels like a human to me, this is one little thing I think they could really play up to make the Doctor feel a bit alien and give companions' humanness to shine. Have the Doctor and some other species be slow to see certain patterns that seem obvious to humans

that thing where a song takes several listens before you like it, but it's the concept of music itself

"It's just random words over a bunch of noise, what's the-- oh. Wait. ...Wait a minute."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Was LSD involved?

None, it was purely the idea of the producer at the time, John Nathan-Turner. He had the "brilliant" idea of giving the Sixth Doctor a "totally tasteless" costume to go along with his abrasive personality.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Collection: Season 9

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The minorest spoiler, but Ncuti is now filming! :toot:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Holy poo poo, what a great trailer for that collection.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
"What stories I could tell..."

"So then he stole your sandwich AGAIN?"

Nice tribute to Bevan at the end of the trailer, and it was nice to see an actual functioning Sea Devil as opposed to their recent appearance in the show. I'm a little shaky on the "disable the guard and then watch the eggs hatch" bit, and I'm not sure the "Sea Devil" name is a great idea any more. Maybe they should be renamed "Seocenes"?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that thing where a song takes several listens before you like it, but it's the concept of music itself

"It's just random words over a bunch of noise, what's the-- oh. Wait. ...Wait a minute."

Oh man, we've never had a Musical episode of Doctor Who! There's a million ways to set it up. Have no theatre kids grown worked on Who and wanted to sneak in some musical theatre? Honestly probably should've had the musical episode when friggin River Song/Melody Pond were around, its right there!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Excuse you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKSocNFdsbc