Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Brut posted:

Eh Asanoyama will either be in a top Juryo slot or a near bottom Makuuchi slot, pretty mundane either way.

As for sanyaku hmmmmm

I'm thinking:

Sekiwake: Wakatakakage and Hoshoryu (obviously), and Kiribayama as 3rd.
Komusubi: Wakamotoharu, Kotonowaka and Daieisho.

This is most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if WMH or Kotonowaka also got a bump. Daiesho had an amazing performance this basho, but I don't see them skipping him over komusubi with how stacked the sanyaku currently is.

Chiyomaru is likely dropping to juryo. Tochi was mentioned dropping earlier this basho when he went kyujo. Tsurugisho as well?

What a weird basho. Three hair pulls. I think I've seen one or two in makuuchi since I started watching last January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Give it enough time, and half the top division will be komusubi and above.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
and there will still be maegashira yusho winners

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Takayasu have a kabu? I’m just wondering out loud what he does as he gets older and progressively more broken.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Not the way I wanted Hoshoryu to get KK but I'll take it.

Wakatakakage quietly putting together 9-6 this tournament when I would have sworn he was 7-8. I guess his losses just stick with me more because I love the guy.

I think Takakeisho gets the rope because they are desperate for a Japanese yokozuna and his wins this tournament, especially the final match, had that yokozuna feel to them.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Does Takayasu have a kabu? I’m just wondering out loud what he does as he gets older and progressively more broken.

The only current guy with a kabu other than Chiyootori is Endo.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx

But he's got his 3 year Ozeki grace period and he should be in good shape since he's bff with Ichimon chosen one Kisenosato.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Not the way I wanted Hoshoryu to get KK but I'll take it.

not the way he wanted either, judging by his expression.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

first hair pull i went "dq that guy" rather than being sorry for the guy who did it as i didn't feel it was intentional or affected the match

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Great matches!

I wanted my guy Kotoshoho to win, but great job to Takakeisho who's in everyone's stable.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Did they change the rules for Mattas? I just realized that I haven't seen the Gyoji stop a match in like 3 bashos. There used to be 2-4ish mattas per basho, but now nothin' and some pretty shady starts. Frankly, I don't mind though. I think it really helps with the match flow and mattas were super annoying because most of the time both sides were clearly ready but someones fist was a half mm above the clay.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Different gyoji have different tolerances for how down hands have to be, and cheating the tachi-ai by not fully dropping the hand that's facing away from them is a time-honored tradition at this point. Goeido's entire career was built off the back of being able to do that to consistently charge hard and blast people out.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TIL pewdiepie is pretty much retired from gaming, lives in Japan, and mainly does vlogs now.

Here's an interesting little glimpse of Day 13 from his perspective.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what a season lol, that's all i gotta say

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Pretty sure I remember seeing a few mattas this basho, particularly this weird Enho matta that resulted in the exact same thing happening after.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I don't think they change the Matta rules, but they do decide to enforce them harder every once in awhile. Like they let it go until everyone gets sloppy/too obvious about it and then start calling it a bunch to get people to stop it and reset expectations. Then when people are behaving again, they let people do what they do because they don't really want to call stuff and the cycle restarts.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1617361100751929345

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Imagine if keisho gets the rope and immediately goes kyujo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nativity In Black posted:

Imagine if keisho gets the rope and immediately goes kyujo.
Yokozuna privilege baby. Kick back on the beach for a couple months and rest up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Marching Powder posted:

[banging cutlery on table] give him the rope! give him the rope!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Keisho has a neck?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Keisho has a neck?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Keisho has a neck?

Fun fact: all mammals, from the tiniest pygmy marmoset to the giraffe, have the same number of cervical (neck) vertebrae. It's just in Keisho's case they're wafer-thin due to lack of space. And therefore lamentably vulnerable to injury.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

:siren: Basho Results :siren:

This was the biggest fantasy field we've ever had, and it was a great basho for it. Luckily there weren't any kyujo for week two, so I didn't have to deal with that while I myself was kyujo dealing with my infrastructure issues. In my opinion Takakeisho made a strong argument for the belt: not only did he take the yusho after a playoff runner-up, but he had several wins with techniques that weren't just pushing or thrusting results – two kotenage, and a sukuinage to win on day 15. He's had immaculate ring presence, and honestly has fought as well as anyone can be expected to, so if he doesn't get the nod I'll consider it a slight.

Besides that the san-yaku mostly struggled, with Wakatakakage and Hoshoryu failing to make ozeki moves, while Kotonowaka barely scraped a kachi-koshi. Kiribayama had an excellent tournament, but no one right now is on any sort of ozeki run – arguably a 14-1 or a zensho-yusho could earn it for (in order of viability) Hoshoryu, Kiribayama, or Wakamotoharu, but it's a tough argument and I'm not confident. Daieisho will return to san'yaku next tournament riding on a 10-5, but he'll need to really put up numbers to be in the conversation, and then only for September at the earliest.

Alright, enough bloviating, let's get to fantasy:

Final Results

Makuuchi
code:
66	Khizan
65	Tiny Bug Child
62.5	Kuros
61.5	Kenning
59.5	MalarkeyToboggan
59	NuclearPotato
59	Pakled
57.5	Vargatron
56.5	Netsky
55.5	Marching Powder
55	Charles Gnarwin
55	pseudodragon
55	scripterror
52.5	Flinger
51.5	Communist Thoughts
50.5	Crusty Nutsack
50	Eli949
50	Ice Phisherman
50	Thauros
49	Banana Canada
49	Jobbo_Fett
49	Mode 7
49	MyChemicalImbalance
49	Teddybear
49	Tochiazuma
48.5	Liquid Communism
48	bessantj
48	captainblastum
48	GoatSeeGuy
48	Neodoomium
47.5	anakha
46.5	Fluffdaddy
46	Iron Chef Nex
46	jmzero
44.5	Chinook
44	ilmucche
43	sivad
40.5	Brut
32	bartolimu
Juryo
code:
61.5	Robviously
59	Samuel L. Hacksaw
55	do it on my face
54.5	Ben Nerevarine
54.5	LlamaTrauma
54	Akiosan
53.5	Biosys
53.5	Saturnine Aberrance
53	Bentai
53	rare Magic card l00k
52.5	Helianthus Annuus
52.5	ratmosphere
51.5	whats for dinner
51	Average Lettuce
50	oldskool
49.5	Eldoop
49.5	ImplicitAssembler
49	Elissimpark
49	Single Tight Female
49	Winter Stormer
48.5	Nativity In Black
48	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
47	Lid
46	riderchop
46	Spokes
45.5	Dead Goon
45.5	John McClane
45.5	QuasiQuack
45	PJ
45	ullerrm
44.5	Xerxes
40.5	Boogalo
40	Log082
38.5	Beexoffel
Congratulations to Khizan on taking the makuuchi yusho! They've been kicking around the joi-jin, putting up solid numbers, since we started the goonzuke, so this is a well-earned cup, and reminds me of Tamawashi's first yusho. They had a loss-less team, but really won on the back of Kotoshoho and Onosho (if only he hadn't pulled the mage it would have been even stronger!). Great team! Congrats also to tiny bug child, who got the jun-yusho by choosing Endo instead of Onosho and trailing by one point. Still a great stable and solid effort.

Down in juryo Robviously prevailed, again on the back of Kotoshoho and Endo. I hope the Sadogatake man can keep performing after this basho! Special shout out to bartolimu who held onto Takayasu at the expense of 8 points and ilmucche who kept Tochinoshin at the expense of 5 or 6, and to all the late entrants who still showed up to fight without much shot at the cup – you've all shown the sumo spirit in spades, and are a fine example to future fantasy players.

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: Khizan, scripterror, Tiny Bug Child, do it on my face, Samuel L. Hacksaw
Kanto-sho: Samuel L. Hacksaw
Shukun-sho: Khizan, Tiny Bug Child

Congratulations to all the winners this basho, and to everyone else I offer the sincere wish that you might ganbatte kudasai, and study the sumo spirit and the history of our fantasy elders.

I think Takakeisho should get the rope.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Thank you for organizing this Kenning, it was really fun! I really fell off on the second half, mostly due to Hoshoryu's injury, but all in all a good showing.

Something I noticed this basho is that the matchups during the basho seem a bit unfair. For example, I felt a bit sorry for Sadanoumi, he is M4 and through the first 10 matches or so he had to fight people above his rank with good scores, while he had a lot of losses (at a point he was 2-8). On the other hand, Kotonosho and Onosho were given easier matchups (even relative to their ranks), even when they had very positive scores. Seems to me that Sadanoumi was thrown to the wolves.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Thanks again kenning!

Dropping back to juryo is the price I'll happily pay for not trading tochinoshin

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kenning posted:

I think Takakeisho should get the rope.

I agree. He demonstrated remarkable depth in this basho. I don't think the YDC is necessarily convinced and will probably insist on another strong performance in March, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thanks for running this, it’s always a ton of fun.

Average Lettuce posted:

Something I noticed this basho is that the matchups during the basho seem a bit unfair. For example, I felt a bit sorry for Sadanoumi, he is M4 and through the first 10 matches or so he had to fight people above his rank with good scores, while he had a lot of losses (at a point he was 2-8). On the other hand, Kotonosho and Onosho were given easier matchups (even relative to their ranks), even when they had very positive scores. Seems to me that Sadanoumi was thrown to the wolves.

The upper maegashira ranks are meatgrinders, because they pad out the sanyaku schedules. Figure there’s one ozeki and eight junior sanyaku right now. They’ll all fight each other under normal circumstances, with some exceptions, but that still means that they all need seven or so other matches to fill out their schedules. Those matches come from the upper maegashira, generally, so it’s pretty common for rikishi to hits those ranks and bounce back down.

When you get down to it, M4 is one of the top 15-20 rikishi. They’re going to have to fight the best opponents because they’re supposed to be one of the best themselves.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 23, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Khizan posted:

The upper maegashira ranks are meatgrinders, because they pad out the sanyaku schedules. Figure there’s one ozeki and eight junior sanyaku right now. They’ll all fight each other under normal circumstances, with some exceptions, but that still means that they all need seven or so other matches to fill out their schedules. Those matches come from the upper maegashira, generally, so it’s pretty common for rikishi to hits those ranks and bounce back down.

Makes sense, but it still felt for me that him in particular was getting tougher matchups than those around his ranking.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Yes, now I do wonder what happens to two week old squid and some other foodstuffs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAgwppuRqsw

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Thank you for organising and counting the scores, Kenning!
I imagined myself having a slightly better score than last basho, but I will take my bottom ranking with some satisfaction that I was here for it!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thank you Kenning for a superb job as always.

Is it March yet?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ugh, I wish.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Thank you for running fantasy sumo again Kenning! You definitely deserve a fighting spirit prize for persisting through all the power problems.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Thank you, as always, for running this Kenning and for spreading the world of Sumo near and far! Can't wait until March.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I just wanted to say thank you to all my fans for the support and my plan is to keep showing my brand of fantasy sumo in the future.

Thanks Kenning!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks Kenning! Fantasy was an absolute blast as always.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this is all very subjective obv but if takekeisho obtained the same exact results due to a depleted uppe card but was still an ultra one dimensional guy who you just had to outlast the initial onslaught from before he tired i wouldn't feel he quite deserved it. he seems far more "complete" now tho

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1617468219392131072

No rope for the Hamster.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I now understand the perspective of Shonanzakura. When the points come so rarely, they are all the sweeter when they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Makes sense that they wouldn't promote him. They didn't promote him in 2020 either when he got a stronger Jun Yusho and Yusho in back to back tournaments. Having only fought a single hobbled Sekiwake and losing to two Komosubi probably didn't help his case either. If he has a Yusho or Jun Yusho in March then they have no excuse anymore.