Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Turn1 monster shields or that one that grants shields when a monster dies are pretty much never picks on a glass cannon run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I'm really enjoying this game. There are so many interesting interactions, every run feels unique. Unfair mode feels a little too unfair, but maybe I'll change my mind with more experience. Anyway, a couple questions:

I accidentally deleted one of the default scenarios in Paste mode (the one with a bunch of Ludus against Hexia). Is there any way to restore the defaults for Paste mode?

Also, are there any plans to add Generate characters as an option in Custom Party?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I had a Generate Unfair run that was going pretty decently where the curses were Charged Monsters, and also the curse making your mana gain sides -1. Unfortunately all my new class rolls were garbo so I didn't make it past troll king. Definitely don't mind when curses help mitigate each other, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
How do I unlock heaven difficulty?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Get a win on Brutal I think

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Chas McGill posted:

Win on brutal
"Easiest" way to do this is custom 5-blue but it's still going to take a good curse roll and some luck on top of that

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
5 Cultists is a pretty good bet. Brute-force the early game by converting huge chunks of health into mana and slamming Burst nonstop

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Nice, I'll try it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

if somehow you get to add a blessing (and extra curses) and can take essence, gaining mana for characters dying, just slam it, you'll be getting like six mana on every die to start.

Don't die to thorns. Good luck!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think my brutal win was an orange and four blues. They have access to tools that blues often don't have, like ranged damage, vulnerable, and especially the sides that let you kill slates and graves with a single action. Four blues is already such a murderous amount of damage that the extra utility options felt really nice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

5 Cultists is a pretty good bet. Brute-force the early game by converting huge chunks of health into mana and slamming Burst nonstop

I did 3 cultists plus a mage and a scholar. Having slice and flare is quite useful (gnolls and forcing bandit retreats especially) and 3 cultists is still a shitload of mana

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Basalt remains my biggest game ender. What strategies even are there other than 'Do 40 damage really quickly while also being able to one shot infinite minions that take chip damage. Every other enemy in the game has SOME kind of strat that makes it manageable.

Inserting the hardest boss in the game relatively early, gating you for broken combos now the item pool is so diluted isn't fun. Having your strat be, 'Hope they don't show up.'

Or maybe I'm just salty because i had the curse the gives the right side +3 so it summoned 3 dudes, instantly ending my run.

Not a fan of the new curse system.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 23, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I've never really had a huge problem with it, other than sure on big blursed runs you can just get overwhelmed, but that's true for any boss really...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Make use of Basalt's incrementing number bonus damage?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Having access to weaken helps since it has unusually nasty summons that can be easily negated. Having Trapper or Sharpshot to instakill slates is huge too. Herbalist also helps since you can use vine spam to down the slates at a relatively cheap 5 mana, which is better than nothing.

If I don't have anything that's specifically strong vs. slates I often find it more useful to focus the boss down ASAP and ignore the summons. The chip mechanic means you can blow through its HP pretty quickly if you play its minigame, so it's often more like 25 or 30 HP.

I do think it's a lot nastier than the troll king, but not necessarily any nastier than Tarantus.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tarantus really isn't that bad either. It's Basalt that is disproportionately strong

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Tarantus when you just can't roll your orange dodge so you have to let them die :negative:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Slaan posted:

Tarantus really isn't that bad either. It's Basalt that is disproportionately strong

I wonder if that's specific to the mode you're playing. Is it ending your long Blursed runs or soething? I've mostly played non-looping games, like standard and I just checked my almanac. It says I've beat Basalt 17/18 times. Tarantus has been much more deadly to me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Farquar posted:

I wonder if that's specific to the mode you're playing. Is it ending your long Blursed runs or soething? I've mostly played non-looping games, like standard and I just checked my almanac. It says I've beat Basalt 17/18 times. Tarantus has been much more deadly to me.

Once you start getting a dozen or more curses, depending on what you end up with, Basalt becomes an absolute beast.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Mostly blursed yeah

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Got my first unfair win by the skin of my teeth with only one character left and I find out there's brutal after? Dear god.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

WarpedLichen posted:

Got my first unfair win by the skin of my teeth with only one character left and I find out there's brutal after? Dear god.

Brutal isn’t even the hardest difficulty.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

WarpedLichen posted:

There is more after brutal :unsmigghh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Maybe? I don't disagree but I have a hard time telling how much of it is Basalt being overtuned vs. me being a scrub. Sometimes it feels unfair and then sometimes it's an absolute steamroll. Which, tbf probably happens even more often with Tarantus but then at least there's the parting shot of taking out a party member. Which for certain bless/curse combos might mess you up more than the boss themselves if it leaves you critically low on HP for the next floor.

EDIT: regardless, I definitely feel Troll King is a step down from Tarantus

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's a rogue-like. Things aren't meant to be balanced and part of the fun is puzzling out how to move forward with what fate threw your way.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Tsietisin posted:

Since I found out this was possible this is the only way I have been playing.

There's a couple of combinations that will work. Growth with extra rolls and a dancer has a good shot.

The one that got me closest with 22 turns was this.

I've been grinding for the 20 turn win and gotten it a few more times. Here are my thoughts:

the best way to think about the run is a very advanced blursed run: you've accumulated enough curses that your team has effectively 0 health and gets one-shot if the enemies get a turn, to compensate, you get to pick a bunch of blessings. obviously not all of them are created equal.

general tips:
-Boss Smash + (+3 to all sides during boss combats, 8) and Great Start (+1 to all sides on the first turn, 7) are the bread and butter blessings, everything should be compared to them. if a blessing doesn't give a similar amount of bang for the buck as one of these, it's probably worthless.
-Level up a hero to 3 costs 7 and is in general not worth as much as Great Start. Favor of Horus (+1 to all sides) is similarly a scam at 16 points.
-Eye of Horus (an item that gives a hero +1 to all sides) is costed at 4. You'd need 5 of these to get the same value as Great Start.
-My personal opinion is that the bare minimum value needed to scrape through is Boss Smash + and 2 copies of Great Start. You'll notice that this adds up to more than 20, which is where curses come in.
-Using curses to compensate is pretty much required- there just isn't enough juice in 20 points worth of blessings to make it.
-You still have to get lucky. Fanatics, the Bell, Hydras, and more can all end your run. Swarms of rats and bones can end your run.

Blessing specific comments:
-Hero deathwish (13): Generally too difficult to trigger. Can be good when combined with curses that buff enemy sides, but still inefficient as killing enemies deactivates your own deathwish.
-Hero pristine (20): Probably the best you can hope for. Most wins come off the back of this mighty steed.
-Bone Math (enemies deal one damage to adjacent enemies on death, 7)/Barrel Time (5 damage, 25): These are awful. The damage is too small to matter later game, and is worthless against bosses.
-Hero engage (13): I took this with Bone Math once. Oops.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Barrel Time is the funniest and therefore best blessing in the game. Gently slap a bones and the entire universe instantly explodes

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Barrel Time is the funniest and therefore best blessing in the game. Gently slap a bones and the entire universe instantly explodes

drat, I've never seen barrel time. That's funny as hellheaven

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Junpei posted:

Make use of Basalt's incrementing number bonus damage?

This is sometimes impossible if you've got the blessing that boosts your sides on bosses, as you can't start the chain with 1 damage without a few specific spells or the Boss Bones curse. That may be the point, but Basalt is definitely overtuned for something that isn't a final boss.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

silvergoose posted:

drat, I've never seen barrel time. That's funny as hellheaven

It's ridiculously rare :smith:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I bought this game a couple of weeks ago, it's fun but it's kicking my rear end. Forget Brutal or Unfair, I can't beat a Normal run. Any basic tips on survival or what kind of things to look for in itrms/classes that aren't obvious?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
What is killing you most frequently?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
It usually feels like I either get too much defense and can't deal enough damage to a large threat, or I have more damage but not enough to clear the board before I'm overwhelmed. I don't think I have hit a sweet spot between the two. I also must not be using items correctly, because most options seem either meh or actively harmful so I end up not using many.

Picking classes is rough because I've never really felt I had a team that synergized much.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
In terms of general strategy it's very much a "best defense is a good offense" kind of game, so prioritizing shields & healing is usually not a great plan. Prioritize damage & mana faces when leveling up grey and red heroes and don't be shy about rerolling for those faces, especially early in the fight. Try to roll a bunch of mana and attacks and concentrate on focusing enemies down quickly with a barrage of spells.

Blank faces are annoying but don't be afraid to take levelups with 2+ blanks on them, that's what rerolls are for. Plus there are a lot of great items that overwrite die faces, so if you over-prioritize heroes that have all their faces filled then you'll have a harder time getting value out of item picks.

One-use faces are also not nearly as bad as you might think at first. Having a strong start is more important than having lots of ok rolls available later in the fight, so take and use heroes with big one-shot faces.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, overall I'd say a good turn has you just barely averting death on heroes that are currently dying, and otherwise using your die faces to try and kill enemies as quickly as possible. As a corollary to this, you should always be checking to see how much you can reduce damage by killing enemies before you start thinking about where your shields/heals go.

TBH lower tier items do tend to be meh at best; they don't really start getting unambiguously good until at least tier 4. That being said, items do start getting really really important for winning near the end of the game. Once you start approaching tier 3 heroes, you really need to be thinking with every pickup "Do either of these items synergize really well with any heroes I currently have" or "Which of these 2 heroes work better with items I have". There's also something to be said about picking up a niche item because you're banking on getting a specific hero that makes it good, but I really wouldn't worry about that when you're just starting out.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

YorexTheMad posted:

It usually feels like I either get too much defense and can't deal enough damage to a large threat, or I have more damage but not enough to clear the board before I'm overwhelmed. I don't think I have hit a sweet spot between the two. I also must not be using items correctly, because most options seem either meh or actively harmful so I end up not using many.

Picking classes is rough because I've never really felt I had a team that synergized much.

Probably the easiest way to think about synergies when picking heroes/items is to just look for things you can pile on the same hero/side for multiplicative effect on a damage side.

Putting each one of:
- Cleave (hit adjacent enemies)
- Engage (2x to undamaged enemies)
- Echo (copies pips of last-used side)

On different damage sides is meh.

Finding a way to put all 3 on the same side is much better.

And then you can think about ways to build off of this on other characters:
-Echo gets way better if you have another character who consistently rolls high pips

-Reuse side becomes more valuable if you have a better single side to repeat

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 24, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
A bunch of skills that you might be missing:
- Which dice should I keep vs reroll?
- What order should I use my dice in?
- When should I be using spells? Should I be floating 3 mana since my Burst isn't actually killing anything?
- If at least one is forced, which hero should I let die?
- Which items should I pick?
- When should I switch items from hero to hero?
- Should I skip a level up?

Getting "okay" at most of those should be sufficient to beat Normal.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My pro tip:

Pick Statue, don't evolve Statue.

Maybe don't ever take Tier 3 Grey. Valkyrie's all right.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Apparently all I had to do was complain.

I stumbled into a nice synergy with the Warlock vaporizing enemies with Blaze, two other heroes with the reuse dice face to let the Warlock generate tons of mana, and heal items on him to keep him alive. The Poet's Cantrip/Repel face put in some work too.

Now that I've seen a setup that works, hopefully I can repeat it again before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The most powerful healing effect is the one you get for killing everything and moving on to a new fight. Embrace violence and live for destruction.