Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, stop calling them 'barcades'.
One of them (in NYC?) tried to pretend they invented the idea and tried to trademark "barcade", so:

no.

It's a perfectly cromulent term that describes what is being described in two syllables.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My city has an incredible museum of play with a huge selection of pinball machines and video arcade games, so that's my advice if you wanna play arcade style: live near that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Speaking of which the balls in the Terminator 2 pinball game are fuckoff huge, I've never seen a pinball game with balls that big, what's the deal

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Brawnfire posted:

My city has an incredible museum of play with a huge selection of pinball machines and video arcade games, so that's my advice if you wanna play arcade style: live near that
counterpoint: then you have to live in rochester new york (unless there are two?!)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That is in fact the caveat, yeah. :negative: So good luck with that!

There's several museums of play but I think Strong is the biggest nationally.

vvv oh God it's true :smith: vvv

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Jan 23, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brawnfire has Stockholm Syndrome for Rochester.

He researches the city’s history in his free time.

Truly sick.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Y'all are doing this about video games

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Speaker posted:

Arcade bars are not all they're cracked up to be. Most nights they're full of insufferable dweebs who smell like a MtG competition and have zero social skills and don't tip. On the weekends, the dorks are still there but then you also get the opposite; entitled college kids and feral bros who also don't tip and sometimes cause trouble.

Hey, I may be a feral and entitled dork bro with zero social skills but I do not tip.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

There are these things called video games now and you can play them on your pc, your mobile phone and your TV video game console of choice, without having to go to some disgusting arcade filled with horny, smelly dorks

Also you can get good games on them, whereas there has never been a good game made for the arcades due to their very nature.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also you can get good games on them, whereas there has never been a good game made for the arcades due to their very nature.

https://youtu.be/5zfiKuR2Kn8

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I stopped watching when I saw the guy wearing an actual actual fedora.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I stopped watching when I saw the guy wearing an actual actual fedora.

Games are fun when you bring your friends and free. Nerd social fallacies still definitely apply to the cooperative.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

All the barcades near me are pretty popular, it's fun to get nice drinks and play nfl blitz

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes! Kurkku moped!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, but the drink selection is better in the barcade in the old church, if you wanna get blitzed while playing The Simpsons.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The Museum of Play Happiest Hour kicks rear end for getting drunk and getting to play with all their stuff.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

there has never been a good game made for the arcade

https://i.imgur.com/AdTpQvV.mp4

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The most terrifying moment of a child's life a few decades ago was reading a Shel Silverstein book and seeing his picture on the dust jacket. A truly scary-looking dude.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Followed by thirty years later when they learn he not only wrote "A Boy Named Sue" but also its incredibly hosed up and :yikes: sequel

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There are like 5 arcades within walking distance/short bus ride of my house, what are yous talking about? They still take coins but also because it's 2023 you can get a card that you load credit onto and tap to play. One of them might be fully digital actually.

memes

not true, oath of glory paladins get haste, which is great because it gets them another attack per round on which they can use smite

I don't normally do twitter text posts but this one is very true and good imo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Collapsing Farts posted:

There are these things called video games now and you can play them on your pc, your mobile phone and your TV video game console of choice, without having to go to some disgusting arcade filled with horny, smelly dorks

I got bad news about the people playing those games

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of which the balls in the Terminator 2 pinball game are fuckoff huge, I've never seen a pinball game with balls that big, what's the deal

https://i.imgur.com/U6K897r.mp4

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 23, 2023

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

What weird Finnish dialect is that?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

if you ever get nostalgic for those days you can always check out one of these

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Benny Harvey posted:

What weird Finnish dialect is that?

It's English, OP.

e: Oh the first one :doh:. It's Estonian.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

bawk posted:

if you ever get nostalgic for those days you can always check out one of these

Laser tag places? Catacombs? Laser tag catacombs?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

projecthalaxy posted:

Laser tag places? Catacombs? Laser tag catacombs?

I'm at the laser tag.

I'm at the catacombs.

I'm at the combination laser tag and catacombs.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
The barcade near me is a lot of fun. It's a popular spot downtown so you don't really have a "smelly MtG dweeb" issue. It's got a nice collection of good pinball games, and good drink prices. Good stuff.

My hometown also has a pinball museum where you can pay like $10-20 to enter and then play all the games you want.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A barcade is a place where befedora'd vapelemen gather to play arcade games drunk.
A barcode is a place where befedora'd vapelemen gather to write arcade games drunk.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I may be an insufferable smelly mtg dweeb with zero social skills, but I always tip 20% before tax

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Not sure if you’re being serious, but all pinball machines (except Hercules) use 1-1/16” ball bearings and T2 is no exception.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

tonedef131 posted:

Not sure if you’re being serious, but all pinball machines (except Hercules) use 1-1/16” ball bearings and T2 is no exception.

This dude bumps

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

Why does this keep happening to me

I was playing the game and it seemed like the ball was way larger and heavier than the other games. Guess not :eng99:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Brawnfire posted:

Why does this keep happening to me

I was playing the game and it seemed like the ball was way larger and heavier than the other games. Guess not :eng99:

Oh you might have been right. Unscrupulous arcade owners used to replace the balls with heavier ones to make people lose faster. Collectors hate their guts because it almost always hosed up the internals in a way that is fiddly and expensive to fix

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

We had three pinball machines in my house when I was a kid and to this day I love pinball despite never getting to play for the past couple decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFyDkVFMps