Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FWIW I'm not saying my experience is universal, but I've tended to be extremely lucky and work places where I'm given a lot of autonomy and don't have some middle manager breathing down my neck. I've had that happen and that poo poo sucked and I did consider quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Cannot imagine being bored enough to want to work. During periods of unemployment the only thing forcing me back to work is financial.

Getting paid to spend eight hours a day working on spreadsheets is boring. Getting paid a hundred times as much to pretend is probably not so boring.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

Getting paid to spend eight hours a day working on spreadsheets is boring.

Speak for yourself :colbert:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

Cannot imagine being bored enough to want to work. During periods of unemployment the only thing forcing me back to work is financial.

Someone really needs to teach auld yins about piracy. Imagining how much more wrestling I could consume with no need to worry about rent, food, Internet & electricity bills :(

Used to work with a guy who had lucked into a well paid dot com bubble job during the 90s and was financially secure so could have retired early 00s, but he kept working in fairly basic financial service jobs after that just to have something to do. He said it was because outside work, the only thing he did other than going to football matches was sitting drinking in the pub, so if he retired early then he'd just be spending all day in the pub like some of his friends already did and he didn't want to do that. He wasn't really looking forward to retirement I think, cause he was a fairly heavy drinker and didn't have any other hobbies so he knew what he'd get like once he didn't have anything to take up his days.

Was kinda sad, I hope he ended up finding a hobby once he retired.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah if I didn’t have to work there’s no force on earth that could have made me get a job, tbh.

Work sucks rear end unless you’re lucky enough to be one of those ‘doing something I love’ people, or at the very least capable of deluding yourself into believing you’re one of those people.

I could happily do nothing forever if I didn’t have to pay the bills.

To quote Henry Rollins:

No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time.
Go!

In saying that, i'm as lazy as gently caress, doing nowt and pretty much enjoying it... i guess it's personality dependant. :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

To quote Henry Rollins:

No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time.
Go!

In saying that, i'm as lazy as gently caress, doing nowt and pretty much enjoying it... i guess it's personality dependant. :shrug:

I love Henry Rollins but dude hasn’t had to hold down a day job since his early 20s so I take a lot of his proto-grindset advice with a huge helping of salt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

not working for me reminds me of the summer holidays where at first you're like HELL YEAH UNLIMITED FREE TIME but then you run out of game backlog and you miss some of the interactions you could only get at school

so yeah when I lost my job AND lockdown came in I was like "triple score" and had a blast locking myself away and powering through the backlog but then I found that constantly just doing hedonist poo poo got boring

I started doing maths puzzles for chrissakes

So from my experience of long-term unemployment, you just power through the maybe couple of months of boredom and then it's the new normal and totally fine. The only drag is not having the disposable cash to waste on entertaining yourself. Could break up the monotony with just a day trip on the train, to Aberdeen or Kyle of Lochalsh, or when I was in Glasgow up to Fort William. Even if I didn't have anything to do at the destination but wander around, I'd find the journey peaceful, a chance to catch up on reading without distractions besides the scenery of the world passing by.

Between sports, games, wrestling, keeping up with the generally hellish state of the world, posting, being social on just enough occasions to stop going mad, reading books & the endless slog that is reading all the Marvel from FF#1 (the '90s is a slog), I have plenty things to do that keep me from getting bored, work just gets in the way of enjoying myself. This may be easier to accept if you do a job that's actually important, but when you're just a foot soldier in the army of capitalism whose job doesn't need to exist it really is just a waste of time.

And if I'm going to waste time I'd rather do it watching Kento Miyahara & Takuya Nomura vs Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi than making someone else money.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

So what are the gangs doing with them? Forcing them to work in drugs trade or sex work?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

Getting paid to spend eight hours a day working on spreadsheets is boring. Getting paid a hundred times as much to pretend is probably not so boring.

Spreadsheets are my hobby. And I also get paid to do them. I love spreadsheets.my name is jae and I'm an excaholic.

When I moved abroad 2007 the first few weeks was fine just sorting poo poo out like electricity and internet etc and how to get a bus. Then about 3 weeks of lazing about. Then I started to get anxious that I would get to sunset and have achieved nothing all day. So I set myself up as a fake corp get dressed in work style clothes and kept timesheets (eg fiddling about with computer - IT dept, doing money stuff - Finance Dept etc.) Took me about 18 months to wind in the corporate mindset. Now I'm at work in t-shirt and jeans and having 5 mins break poo poo posting.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 23, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Spreadsheets are my hobby. And I also get paid to do them. I love spreadsheets.my name is jae and I'm an excaholic.

Highfive Jae.

It's been at least 5 minutes since my last spreadsheet and I'm uncomfortable, I've taken to keeping spreadsheets on my phone under the seat of my car disguised as a social media app.

E: seriously though. I would be a lot happier in life without both my partner and I having full time day jobs. The house slowly destructs over the week, Saturday is rest and Sunday is cleaning and house maintenance. It leaves precious little time for hobbies in winter when it's so dammed dark.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

So from my experience of long-term unemployment, you just power through the maybe couple of months of boredom and then it's the new normal and totally fine. The only drag is not having the disposable cash to waste on entertaining yourself.

Much as I'm burnt out on my job now, I was unemployed for most of a decade and it nearly broke my mind. The lack of social contact seriously hosed me up, and I'm not even a very needy person in that regard to begin with. There is nothing to do, nobody to speak to, just a demoralising wall of jobs that you are increasingly unable to obtain even if you're qualified for them because after a while employers assume that because you haven't had a job there must be something wrong with you. I was lucky enough to escape that trap and I haven't been back in it since, but I never want to be in it again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I enjoy my job precisely because it's not important. I don't have to worry that if I turn up to work hungover that someone's going to die in my care. Hell I can turn up to work hammered and people won't even notice as long as I don't have a meeting.

Today's thread topic: discovering which of us are conditioned to be gears in the machine and who have taken the real red pill, the one from the Matrix not the euphemism for becoming a reactionary dickhead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bonus points if the red pill you take is also HRT like in the Matrix.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You take the blue pill, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe, you keep on going into work but no longer worry if any of it matters.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What a load of rubbish!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jan/23/buried-bbc-podcast-exposing-waste-rubbish-crime-scandal

I have been unemployed since 2016, having managed to work two jobs for a total of maybe 9 months between then and 2013.

I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia in 2011, and it doesn't really feel like I have worked a proper day since, with having multi long periods of time off and working reduced hours and "phased returns to work". I was eventually medically retired from the job I had at the time (and had been there 10 years) in 2013 - later that year I had a successful surgery for the TN and was pain free. I eventually got myself a job in 2014 but stopped going after a month, I just wasn't ready for the workplace, and the commute was a pain in the arse. It took until early 2016 for me to get another job, which lasted until October when unfortunately my TN recurred, and I haven't worked since.

I figure that 9 months of work between 2013-2016 is all I have done in 10 years.

I nearly died in 2021 and my mental health is in the toilet. I don't even know where to begin, trying to get back into the real world.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jesus, that sounds like a real nightmare. I'd not even heard of trigeminal neuralgia and now I'm acutely aware of another way the body can say "gently caress you."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1617495458628395008

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

Getting paid to spend eight hours a day working on spreadsheets is boring.

It's not that boring. The important thing is to get paid for those hours but only spend maybe 30 mins a day actually spreading dem sheets

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Today at work I've
-Worked on the new website
-Taken photos of products being assembled
-Some lightroom and photoshop work
-Updated some assembly manuals with the above
-Spent time on SA, etc.
-Gonna have to get out some sales statistics to turn into a estimate of components to purchase for next year but looks like that's not gonna happen until tomorrow

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just saw an invoice for a medic who consults for my program... he's getting $735 as an hourly rate. This doesn't motivate me to work any harder tbh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just saw an invoice for a medic who consults for my program... he's getting $735 as an hourly rate. This doesn't motivate me to work any harder tbh

If anything it persuades me to work that amount pro rata. I'm getting 32x less than that? I work 32x less hard.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Today at work I've:
-Spent time on SA, etc.

QUIET QUITTING :byodood:

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
I find this a v interesting topic.

I have had times in my current company (software) where I LOVED what I was doing. I would be so engrossed in the work I was doing that the company didn't need to implement "crunch time" or anything, I just found the work incredibly rewarding and satisfying. I got the same enjoyment that I do out of doing Sudoku or jigsaw puzzles, but was getting paid for it.

I've been here 7 years tho and my role has become much more managerial. The people who report to me are great but my workload is such that I can't do any sort of decent coaching or anything with them. I feel like I spend half my week in meetings just asking people what work they're doing, and the only reason I do that is so I can spend the OTHER half of my week talking to my boss about what the teams doing. I much prefer doing things instead of just regurgitating.

I have a bunch of thoughts around businesses I'd like to look into starting, but I spend so much of my day working that when I'm off I just want to do nothing. Over Christmas I had a solid three weeks free, and really felt like I could focus on what I want out of life. Since the moment I got back though, I've gone from drawing up prototypes on my spare time to watching Diddy Kong Racing videos on YouTube 😆

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, if you or any other goons decides they want to start up a company & need employees who are lazy, deeply unambitious, & will do exactly as much work as is required to get by & not a bit more then I'm your guy.

It's less the grind mindset & more the already ground down mindset

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My old job (almost 20 years ago now) was stressful, but the end result at least gave me the satisfaction of having a physical product on a regular basis that I could say "I was hands-on in charge of making that." If I'd been promoted, I would have had a bit more money, but a lot more stress - of a different, managerial kind - and wouldn't even have had anything I could hold up and say I'd directly contributed to. It would have been all the parts of the job I hated multiplied by several teams to oversee.

Now, I'm self-employed and love what I do because I almost never have to deal directly with other people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Payndz posted:

My old job (almost 20 years ago now) was stressful, but the end result at least gave me the satisfaction of having a physical product on a regular basis that I could say "I was hands-on in charge of making that."

Sex Arse factory?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've worked in software development or adjacent industries for the last ten years, and I've learnt that actually half arsing it and procrastinating til the very last minute is the most sensible approach, because 75% of the time management will decide to delay your project anyway and redeploy you to fight another fire somewhere else.

I have colleagues who are devastated when this happens because they've spent weeks and months working their arses off, for nothing. Not me, though :c00lbutt:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol. These two tweets suggest Zahawi has about an hour left in his job

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sex Arse factory?
Afraid not, they're all made abroad now. Can't get a traditional British Sex Arse for love nor money.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Sounds like Nadim is due a promotion

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

You can't be sure he's a goner until the Prime Minister has made a public statement saying he has full confidence in him.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

So what are the gangs doing with them? Forcing them to work in drugs trade or sex work?

from what I've been reading they're recruiting them in to county lines drug work, might just be spin to whip up more county lines drugs panic off the back of it, no such thing as bad news and all that.

as an added "lol" I also read somewhere that the gangs have been recruiting the kids by telling them they're going to be shipped to Rwanda and showing them articles about it, so umm well done there gov.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

smellmycheese posted:

• Full confidence
  • Getting on with then job
  • People aren't interested
  • Addressing the cost of living crisis [that we caused]
  • Focussed on delivering for the public

Did I miss anything?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I used to work in a lab doing academic research. Obviously it was a miserable, stressful slog most of the time. I'm now a software engineer and work about a third as hard as I used to, without even needing to leave the house.

What surprises me is that despite working less hard I now feel the weight of having to go to work much more keenly. Like, I have to do this forever? Doing science is awful but my job was to incrementally increase our knowledge of how we are put together. Now my job is just a job, i.e. making money for people. And I actually like the work and my colleagues! Must be proper poo poo if you don't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

*banging table covered in blood* blood blood blood blood blood

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

killerwhat posted:

I used to work in a lab doing academic research. Obviously it was a miserable, stressful slog most of the time. I'm now a software engineer and work about a third as hard as I used to, without even needing to leave the house.

What surprises me is that despite working less hard I now feel the weight of having to go to work much more keenly. Like, I have to do this forever? Doing science is awful but my job was to incrementally increase our knowledge of how we are put together. Now my job is just a job, i.e. making money for people. And I actually like the work and my colleagues! Must be proper poo poo if you don't.

Yeah same. I think that's just getting old and jaded tbh

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Payndz posted:

Afraid not, they're all made abroad now. Can't get a traditional British Sex Arse for love nor money.

Sounds like there’s a niche (a crack?) in the market for that then. New business idea.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

You take the blue pill, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe, you keep on going into work but no longer worry if any of it matters.

Take the blue pill and if effects last longer than four hours consult a physician

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If effects last longer than 4/√(1-v²/c²) hours consult a physicist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

*banging table covered in blood* blood blood blood blood blood

I think your days as a surgeon are numbered.