Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The group of people who were "targeted and manipulated by Warren Ellis" just posted an update that they are moving on from trying to work with him.

https://www.somanyofus.com/updates#january-19-2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Well that sucks, I had kinda hoped there'd be a day I could buy a Warren Ellis comic in good conscience sometime in the future.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It’s worth noting something in Bleeding Cool’s coverage of the story:
“Bleeding Cool understands that Warren Ellis believed he had been in constant contact with the facilitator, or mediator, throughout and believed that progress towards eventual conversations was being slowly made, so the update came as a surprise and disappointment to him.”

I’m not saying it changes anything, but I found it worth mentioning.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/so-many-of-us-website-updates-for-2023-regarding-warren-ellis/

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

quote:

With the guidance of our facilitator, we asked Ellis to take the steps necessary for community accountability work to begin. During the process, as far as was communicated with us, Warren Ellis did not take these steps. Despite numerous discussions and hours of writing, working with Ellis remained contentious; he and our group were unable to achieve community together. Our facilitator concluded that a community accountability process with Warren Ellis is impossible under current conditions, and we agreed. In October of 2022, in a conversation with Ellis which was conveyed to us with Ellis's consent and approval, our facilitator discussed this conclusion and our group’s intention to move on from working with him.

Yet somehow Ellis doesn’t know and this update is a surprise despite it being something he knew about since last October. Disappointing and unsurprising, because my read is he doesn’t feel he’s done anything wrong in the long run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Yet somehow Ellis doesn’t know and this update is a surprise despite it being something he knew about since last October. Disappointing and unsurprising, because my read is he doesn’t feel he’s done anything wrong in the long run.

This is the guy who sprayed out a bunch of abuse and gossip about Heath Ledger after Ledger's death and when corrected by his fans, told them they were too stupid to understand that he hadn't really been serious. He absolutely doesn't think he's done anything wrong, ever.

The only disappointment I have regarding Ellis is that anyone is still willing to give him money. I know I haven't since that incident. I mean, he told me I'm too stupid to understand his work, so why should I waste time and cash on something I can't understand?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I got strung along for a long time between ignorance (the Ledger remarks for example) and being a huge fan of his original work. Hell, I used to own the physical copies of his circa 2001 blog posts. I got rid of everything except Absolute Planetary because that book meant a lot at a certain time in my life, but it’s time to let go.

Good thing I’m too stupid to understand character A looking at a kaiju flying overhead and asking “I thought you said they all died out” and character B responding “I did. Isn’t that great?” Fly on, Ellis, there will always be non-destructive creators on the ground learning to swim and leaving you less places to land.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Planetary still remains good, but Transmet aged like milk.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jedit posted:

The only disappointment I have regarding Ellis is that anyone is still willing to give him money.

I haven't bought anything of his, though I kept up with his newsletter (only reading maybe 20% of them) until this weekend. I haven't gotten rid of the books, yet. They meant a lot to me, but I haven't had a reason to reread them.

Though I still own (and have no plan on getting rid of) Cerebus, so don't look at me as an example of what to do with stuff put out by problematic people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, Ellis' self-insert lecturing people on morals doesn't quite hold much appeal now.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Ellis' self-insert lecturing people on morals doesn't quite hold much appeal now.

He sleeps with his "Filthy Assistant" too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Still not entirely sure what they wanted to get out of him, but I'm shocked the guy callous enough to take advantage of like 70 women in the first place didn't actually have any interest in giving it to them

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It really sucks that Ellis used one of the people he abused as the model/inspiration for the shaman in issue 21 though. I think it taints (even more) the whole run.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

for the most part, if Illynana's not jumping on Kitty, I assume I missed where Illyana jumped on Kitty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

for the most part, if Illynana's not jumping on Kitty, I assume I missed where Illyana jumped on Kitty.

Beg pardon?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
looks like Titan Comics picked up Kamen Rider Kuuga for release and just completely boned it

https://twitter.com/ThatDamienHedge/status/1618318044270559232

the pages in white are the preview images Titan put out, which look and flow much better then the actual books they put out which look machine translated.

Also that first line of the second paragraph feels real sketchy, like that could be interpreted as false advertisement

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Having worked for titan via their Forbidden Planet comic book store...I'm unsurprised it's as bad as that is.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It looks like Image is selling a comic with AI-generated cover art and characters that are, if not traced, at least extremely heavily sourced from things like Ciri from The Witcher. :smithfrog:

https://twitter.com/ImageComics/status/1625999691157540864
https://twitter.com/kasia_nie_/status/1626618781739933699

And the title is presented in unaltered Impact font with a rounded black outline. All equally unforgivable crimes.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
That cover is hideous, just like all AI art. I hope this fad goes away quickly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I didn't spot that it was an AI cover, but I was surprised to see that was an Image book and not some self-published thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shadowline too, I would’ve figured Valentino wouldn’t jump on the ai bandwagon, that really sucks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wanderer posted:

I didn't spot that it was an AI cover, but I was surprised to see that was an Image book and not some self-published thing.

clothes that make no sense are a good giveaway

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't have a problem with AI art in general, but when it's a company that can afford to pay an artist, and is also making money off this cover then it's awful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I have a problem with AI art in general.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oasx posted:

I don't have a problem with AI art in general, but when it's a company that can afford to pay an artist, and is also making money off this cover then it's awful.

I don’t think that’s Image’s work model. They don’t hire artists to do books, they accept pitches from indie creators and then green light those projects, this is solely on the creators of the book, Image is just enabling those creators by giving them a distribution platform.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

JordanKai posted:

And the title is presented in unaltered Impact font with a rounded black outline. All equally unforgivable crimes.

it's like looking at a meme image

also the fingers on the redhead in the interior art, you'd think someone would at least do an edit to make them look less misshapen

always the god drat fingers

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

clothes that make no sense are a good giveaway

It's comics. It would be weirder if the clothes did make sense.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Gripweed posted:

:):respek::)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gripweed posted:

As soon as people were saying anything beyond it being a toy, it was a problem.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anora posted:

looks like Titan Comics picked up Kamen Rider Kuuga for release and just completely boned it

https://twitter.com/ThatDamienHedge/status/1618318044270559232

the pages in white are the preview images Titan put out, which look and flow much better then the actual books they put out which look machine translated.

Also that first line of the second paragraph feels real sketchy, like that could be interpreted as false advertisement

There's also something weird going on at Amazon with a digital version of Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond. There's no publisher listed (Viz still has the rights to an American release,) the author isn't listed as Inoue but instead some lady named Amanda Howard who seems to mostly write true crime books and the quality is just garbage. Looking like a bad scanlation.

https://a.co/d/9nkgc0W

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

There's also something weird going on at Amazon with a digital version of Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond. There's no publisher listed (Viz still has the rights to an American release,) the author isn't listed as Inoue but instead some lady named Amanda Howard who seems to mostly write true crime books and the quality is just garbage. Looking like a bad scanlation.

https://a.co/d/9nkgc0W
Amazon is lousy with stuff like that. I remember buying what was supposed to be Mario Hernandez's Brain Capers a few months ago, but the pages were all scrambled and some of them had a comic scans website watermark :haw:
I tried searching for it, but I guess they ended up taking it down.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/comicsgateLs/status/1633956504352038913

"A deep cut."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Back when Van Sciver’s popularity rocketed with the GL stuff I had friends who worked in a huge brick and mortar store and I’d hang out and help sort poo poo. One day the manager was digging through longboxes and showed me Cyberfrog, explaining it was Van Sciver’s original indie book and with people taking interest in him those issues that previously sold for a dollar or less were now going for $5 and up.

I wonder if the Cyberfrog secondary market made more profit than any of sticker-on-a-quarter GFMs ever did.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Boy oh boy, it should be interesting to see which comic company took him back.

https://twitter.com/comicsgateLs/status/1635438645963378689?s=20

Also, Ethan has seemingly bashed Pedro Pascual, unleashing his fanbase on Robo Toad's creator so his comments are nothing but people making GBS threads on him.

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 14, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably like Frank Miller Productions or something that's technically "mainstream" but not really.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

Also, Ethan has seemingly bashed Pedro Pascual, unleashing his fanbase on Robo Toad's creator so his comments are nothing but people making GBS threads on him.

Most of them seem to be from Chile. It's pretty great.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
A Chilean news site has picked up Van Nazi's hatred of Pedro

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias...ro-pascal.shtml

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Cool. Too bad chilean media is so poo poo (I'm chilean btw) that they never once mentioned that EVS is a nazi so now it just seems like a "marvel and dc comics artist" did an oopsie.

And he's probably gonna get some more followers out of this one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mark please do the tiniest amount of research before posting tia

https://twitter.com/LazlosGhost/status/1635754513436151808?t=exs5lp-ShD4t5Y4Lcs8gtg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

mark please do the tiniest amount of research before posting tia

https://twitter.com/LazlosGhost/status/1635754513436151808?t=exs5lp-ShD4t5Y4Lcs8gtg&s=19

Guy who wrote Ultimates being a Tucker Carlson fan isn't a huge leap.