Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

He seems especially intent on pointing out that J! is not a pure test of knowledge, but does anyone seriously believe otherwise? In my limited experience the knowledge you have to display in order to be eligible to appear on the show is far more advanced and esoteric than the knowledge you're typically asked about on the show itself, because they want the audience to be able to follow along, and because they want one (and ideally more than one) contestant to be able to answer each and every question correctly so the stakes are high and the show moves quickly. The guy already competes at the highest level of quizzing in the country and everybody knows it, so it's hard not to read it as bitterness at not excelling at this particular format. Even though he did pretty well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
As a person who was on his high school's Quiz Bowl team, I've met dozens of this dude's arrogant younger self.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The post is public on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yogesh.raut/posts/pfbid0Hv86vCZxWDTa4uKC386iwqxfbZtNJC2JXep5Nb9YNcbpHbv7Gvb7qnytae8fJaSRl

It's fascinating to read some of the comments of people jumping to defend him with things like "I searched the J! Archive for [insert critical commenter's name] and found nothing". I'm not surprised at all that there's basically the equivalent of incel gamergaters within the trivia community who have nothing better to do than stroke this sad, sad man's very fragile ego. As is tradition, anyone pointing out that this dude needs to take a step back is simply labeled a troll.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The post is public on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yogesh.raut/posts/pfbid0Hv86vCZxWDTa4uKC386iwqxfbZtNJC2JXep5Nb9YNcbpHbv7Gvb7qnytae8fJaSRl

It's fascinating to read some of the comments of people jumping to defend him with things like "I searched the J! Archive for [insert critical commenter's name] and found nothing". I'm not surprised at all that there's basically the equivalent of incel gamergaters within the trivia community who have nothing better to do than stroke this sad, sad man's very fragile ego. As is tradition, anyone pointing out that this dude needs to take a step back is simply labeled a troll.

He might not have gotten into the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions but he's absolutely made it into the Not Mad Tournament of Champions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yogesh gave me an air of smugness when he was on there, so I'm not terribly surprised. I didn't especially care for Cris but he never came across that way to me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

davecrazy posted:

Is Yogesh the Elon Musk of Jeopardy! contestants?

The Elon Musk of Jeopardy contestants would get so mad at losing that he takes over the show and runs it into the ground with terrible management, so I guess it's Michael Richards (the analogy breaks down there because we were able to get rid of him)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yikes lmao

i wonder how much he has to dig before they don't give him the prize money

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Sometimes it's best to just take the prize money and shut up.

Did he spend twenty minutes trying to convince Ken and the judges that "Treasure Bonds" "were first sold in 1908, at a price equivalent to about $27,000 today"

And also, most quiz leagues and quiz anything are very light hearted, so it just sounds like a guy who passed a jeopardy test, probably was in the holding pool for a couple years because "I beat James Holzhauer at TCONA" isn't as much of a flex or interesting anecdote as "one of my personsal items is in the Smithsonian" or "my cat is named after a doctor who character"

And he's now on scorched earth, I just pray this isn't the start of some sort of Batman-style Rogue Origin story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TelevisedInsanity posted:

And he's now on scorched earth, I just pray this isn't the start of some sort of Batman-style Rogue Origin story.

"Disgruntled professional trivia master" must be the origin of at least one alternate-universe Riddler

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

A lot of the comments coming in response to anyone critical of this meltdown are giving me vibes that they'll be dropping "it's about ethics in quiz show journalism" next.

I really do wonder how far it goes before Jeopardy producers become aware of it and if they'd take some sort of action (is there a non-disparagement clause in the NDA you have to sign?), especially since it's not a look they want associated with what generally seems like a really great community of past champs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

And also, most quiz leagues and quiz anything are very light hearted, so it just sounds like a guy who passed a jeopardy test, probably was in the holding pool for a couple years because "I beat James Holzhauer at TCONA" isn't as much of a flex or interesting anecdote as "one of my personsal items is in the Smithsonian" or "my cat is named after a doctor who character"

In other words, everyone must hate this guy if he's like this after losing on Jeopardy

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

(is there a non-disparagement clause in the NDA you have to sign?)

There is no NDA, this is a myth.

ETA: there is a contract you have to sign, but tbh I can't remember if it says anything about disparaging the show.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

There is no NDA, this is a myth.

ETA: there is a contract you have to sign, but tbh I can't remember if it says anything about disparaging the show.

Ok, I figured you had to sign something like an NDA for them to be able to enforce "if you reveal the outcome no money for you". I'd be curious to see what exactly is in it.

Iron Crowned posted:

In other words, everyone must hate this guy if he's like this after losing winning on Jeopardy

FTFY

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I got my money, I can try and dig up the contract lol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah there's a few things in the contestant agreement they could absolutely enforce if they wanted

quote:

I agree that I shall not, in public communication of any kind, including, without limitation, communications with the press or other media and communications with or on any social media site, criticize, ridicule, or make any statement that disparages or is derogatory of the Program, the Producer, Sony Pictures Television Inc., CBS Television Distribution, or any parent, subsidiary or division thereof. Except as specifically provided herein or as otherwise authorized by Producer, I agree that I will not receive or generate any monetary advantage from my appearance on the Program. I recognize that a breach by me of this paragraph would cause Producer irreparable injury and damage that cannot be reasonably or adequately compensated by damages in an action at law and, therefore, I hereby expressly agree that Producer shall be entitled to injunctive and other equitable relief to prevent and/or cure any breach or threatened breach of this paragraph by me.

quote:

I agree that I will conduct myself at all times for the duration of my participation on and in connection with the Program, and during the term of this Agreement, in a professional, civil and respectful manner. I will not engage in behavior, which may be deemed in the discretion of Producer to be embarrassing or detrimental to the Program, the Producer, other participants, Sony Pictures Television Inc, CBS Television Distribution, or any parent, subsidiary or division thereof. I further agree that before, during or after my appearance on the Program, I will not harass, intimidate, or threaten anyone, including without limitation, the production staff, other contestants, the host, or any other individual, whether or not connected with the Program.

that said i think they're just hoping troy goes on a huge run and yogesh gets out of the spotlight and they don't have to put the hammer down--that said, yogesh does not appear to have any intention of giving up the spotlight so i guess we will see!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Uh oh I engage in a lot of conduct embarrassing to the Program, including posting on the SomethingAwful forums

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

same, i hope they don't want their $1000 back. my old landlord has it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Ok, I figured you had to sign something like an NDA for them to be able to enforce "if you reveal the outcome no money for you". I'd be curious to see what exactly is in it.

No, honestly the "don't tell people the outcome" thing is more by honor code than legally enforceable, IIRC.

I am not surprised I forgot about that part of the contestant agreement tbh.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

No, honestly the "don't tell people the outcome" thing is more by honor code than legally enforceable, IIRC.

I am not surprised I forgot about that part of the contestant agreement tbh.

You know what I'm thinking of: Survivor.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Spokes posted:

yeah there's a few things in the contestant agreement they could absolutely enforce if they wanted

that said i think they're just hoping troy goes on a huge run and yogesh gets out of the spotlight and they don't have to put the hammer down--that said, yogesh does not appear to have any intention of giving up the spotlight so i guess we will see!

I don't know if saying things like Jeopardy is just a game show and not a perfect measurement of someone's trivia knowledge is something the showrunners would dispute or care about.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You know what I'm thinking of: Survivor.

this was so, so stupid lmao

1glitch0 posted:

I don't know if saying things like Jeopardy is just a game show and not a perfect measurement of someone's trivia knowledge is something the showrunners would dispute or care about.

oh yeah, i don't think they'd care (or particularly disagree) with that point but if he continues to poo poo his pants so loudly and publicly i think they might drop him a line and ask him to cool it or distance himself from the show or something

Spokes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 23, 2023

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
loling at all the anecdotes in the replies from people who've interacted with him irl

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lol I knew who that was gonna be right off the bat. I remember not liking him much on his first appearance, but I just assumed I was being judgey and it was just nerves on his part. Guess not!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Huh, over 40 posts. Must be to congratulate Spokes and Co. for beating Buzzy...

:bang:

Sorry, Spokes. It seems some pot stirrer decided to poop on your parade. Who knew trivial squabbles about trivia can consume a lot of message board oxygen?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Yogesh is gonna scream into the void for a little bit, get some minor attention, and then disappear. At best, he'll be brought up as a bit of trivia in the future for being obnoxious.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I don't think he's going to be invited to one of Buzzy's trivia nights.

The secret to jeopardy is the wagering and buzzer speed, the second the light turns on, you gotta react fast.

And those that can figure out the exact last syllable of Mayim or Ken of their reading speed tend to do well.

If you wanted "how good are you at trivia where everybody gets the same question and you fill it in", the closest would be The Big Fat Quiz and even then, they'll be upset it's not "played seriously"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope Arthur Chu gets upset hes not Jeopardy!s biggest tool anymore and says something stupid again to try and reclaim his title.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

The secret to jeopardy is the wagering and buzzer speed, the second the light turns on, you gotta react fast.

And those that can figure out the exact last syllable of Mayim or Ken of their reading speed tend to do well.
As someone who has never been on the show, this seemed like one of the most impressive aspects of Matt Amodio's run. He had to adjust to the timing of what, six or seven hosts?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

As someone who has never been on the show, this seemed like one of the most impressive aspects of Matt Amodio's run. He had to adjust to the timing of what, six or seven hosts?

7. Started under Roberts, swept though Burton, Faber and Buck, Went though Richards in his 2nd go before his run ended under Bialik then met/went gaga over Jennings at the TOC.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

as someone who has been on the show, you are 1000% correct. it's the toughest part of the game and what Matt did is absolutely legendary

also, if the yogesh discourse hadn't been awful enough... let's get a take from the man with the worst fanbase in quizzing

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1617962861221019648

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Even the producers don't agree with that. They said on the podcast they'd invite Yogesh back if he qualifies for the TOC.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Spokes posted:

as someone who has been on the show, you are 1000% correct. it's the toughest part of the game and what Matt did is absolutely legendary

also, if the yogesh discourse hadn't been awful enough... let's get a take from the man with the worst fanbase in quizzing

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1617962861221019648

GAME SHOW FIGHT!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
James is James but I think he's taking the piss on himself with that tweet.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Yeah, didn't he and Ken publicly mock the show when Mike Richards declared himself host?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Poque posted:

James is James but I think he's taking the piss on himself with that tweet.

whoosh lol. yeah looking at it through that lens it's very clear

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Why isn't Yamesh a Chaser yet?

That's the TRUE discourse!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Because they don’t put shows they’re renewing at 10 pm on Thursday after “The Parent Test”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I wonder if they would have accepted BOLO instead of APB

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

christmas boots posted:

I wonder if they would have accepted BOLO instead of APB

It was three letters from the category but that's solid.

Troy is very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Poque posted:

It was three letters from the category but that's solid.

Troy is very good!

Oh, so now I have to read the categories!