Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Darthemed posted:

Jumping over a batch of reruns from 2004 and 2002 brings us to February 6 & 7, 2006, in Docks.

Hey, they're talking about their own TV show! The brief window when the show and comic overlapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I am very happy to see Melon again.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

I don't get either of these.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hippocrass posted:

But Meg has never, to my knowledge, been portrayed as demanding immediate response. And also Ed should just loving talk to his daughter in person.

The Dustin family should do a *lot* of things. First and foremost, they should seek therapy, and a whole lot of it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

I don't get either of these.
I'm not entirely sure about Nancy. Maybe a joke about it being blown up by sewer gas/someone down in the sewer? :shrug:

BB I'm pretty sure is just a 'they thought they'd be getting off easy while Sarge was at training, but instead they get a substitute sergeant who's a giant presumably-nasty caveman!' joke.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:neckbeard:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Archie 4/15-17/46

Archie and the gang play, "Betrayal at House on the Hill"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y8CTjjDHwc

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 19, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Dustin family should do a *lot* of things. First and foremost, they should seek therapy, and a whole lot of it.

They should try a shared family activity.
Like pole vaulting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

I'm not entirely sure about Nancy. Maybe a joke about it being blown up by sewer gas/someone down in the sewer? :shrug:

BB I'm pretty sure is just a 'they thought they'd be getting off easy while Sarge was at training, but instead they get a substitute sergeant who's a giant presumably-nasty caveman!' joke.

He’s got more rank than their sarge and service strips showing he’s very very senior.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 1, 1992)

When I was young I thought this was funny. Now that I'm older, I think it's hilarious.

riderchop posted:

Man, A+J has kicked rear end really consistently.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 29, 1955)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I love my gay yet defunct father.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/22/03

Brenda Starr 4/6-8/50

Smokey Stover 7/6/52

Everyday Movies 1/10/36

"You mean to say we gotta give them critics passes to our show to get reviews like these?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/19-21/40

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 23, 2023

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

For some reason they fact that he didn't go for the obvious Kansas joke makes me irrationally angry.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Super looking forward to when June finally gets home to discover the kids have gone all Lord of the Flies and are roasting Rex's lifeless corpse on a spit out in the backyard.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh God don't do this little guy

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail still down.

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

:smith:

riderchop posted:

Get his rear end, Arlo.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 23, 2023

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Winnie: Making his family happy by showing how much of a big shot he's become.
Planck: Doing his best to move on past the woman he's been mutually obsessed with (although obviously there will be drama over this in the future)
Hardy: mmmuuuurder?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Darthemed posted:

Retail still down.

It looks up from here -- I think the next one in line is at http://retailcomics.com/comic/august-19-2011/. What's the problem you're seeing?

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Wallace’s family is teasing the mom for going outside when the stove puts out so much warmth. And it does. We had one when I was a kid, I remember opening windows in December because it worked so well.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Am I crazy or is that bus so low in detail that it could easily just be facing in either direction.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

theironjef posted:

Am I crazy or is that bus so low in detail that it could easily just be facing in either direction.

no thats the gimmick, now you have to figure out which way its pointing

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

It looks up from here -- I think the next one in line is at http://retailcomics.com/comic/august-19-2011/. What's the problem you're seeing?
The connection just never completes. Seems like it's not VPN-friendly. Good to know it's still accessible, though, thanks!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 9, 1935)

Peanuts (January 26, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 10, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 24, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 21-23, 1940)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The way he draws sheep and emotions of the farmer is just heartbreaking.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/19-21/40

This comic is hilarious.

F Minus

:china:

That's where pickpockets go.

Mark Trail

Why did he drive up on shore?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
^part of what makes Footrot Flats an A-rank comic to me is the absolutely honest, no-punches-pulled approach to farming life

the bus

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

It's worth noting that "Kivikasvot" (literally Stone Faces) was a singer group who also got a really awful variety show back in the 60s or 70s or something, and that poo poo was broadcast and rerun every week for a couple of decades. They're still probably airing reruns on one of our awful cable channels.

e:

people are posting sketches from it on YouTube, if anyone wants to see the height of Finnish TV comedy for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLtY84LRec

When the new generation finally got a chance in the mid to late 90s it was a god drat revelation. This sketch from one of the most beloved shows of my youth, ("Studio Julmahuvi", Studio Cruel Fun) parodies pretty much 80% of Finnish movies from the 70s and 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyFg9xoPKk

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2023

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

You may have noticed artist Jim Holdaway's signature disappear about halfway through this 'episode'; that's because he died of a sudden heart attack in 1970. And, while Enrico Romero would pick up the pen for Modesty's next assignment, "The War-Lords of Phoenix" still needed to be finished. That job was almost taken up by Frank Bellamy.

From Illustrators: The Modesty Blaise Artists:

Bellamy and Blaise
Norman Boyd reveals how Frank Bellamy could have been the successor on the strip after Jim Holdaway's sudden death...

At the time of his death in February 1970, Jim Holdaway was approximately halfway through Peter O'Donnell's latest story entitled "The Warlords of Phoenix." Although Spanish artist Romero had been chosen to lend a hand on the 'Modesty Blaise' strip while Jim Holdaway was recuperating from an accident, the news of his sudden heart attack left a gap which needed filling urgently. The powers that be at the Evening Standard must have thought it best to contact other artists as well, just to make sure they would have the proper replacement. One of those who tried out for the job was none other than Frank Bellamy.

At the time Bellamy had finished his long and memorable run on 'Thunderbirds' and was casting his net for further work. Illustrations for the bestselling magazine Radio Times and the prestigious Sunday Times Colour Magazine certainly paid well but he really needed a regular gig. When asked to try out for the strip, Bellamy was quoted as not being too happy and wasn't actually all that keen on taking over the strip as he didn't fancy "stepping into a dead man's shoes".

The three banks of strips he delivered as samples are taken from the middle of the story (numbers 2100, 2101, and 2102). Unfortunately, they were not great examples of Bellamy's unique style and were, in fact, rather staid.

Ironically a year later he began his five-year run On the Daily Mirror's 'Garth' strip until his own, early death at just 59 years of age.

###

I'll be traveling for a week and will pick up Modesty and Willy's next adventure when I return.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunch

TegneHanne

Noor

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Im absolutely not counting but is this the second period blood joke on uniform we got already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Crab Dad posted:

Im absolutely not counting but is this the second period blood joke on uniform we got already?

Just the second?