Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

cant believe not a single npc stopped to talk about what a great rack my character has

u should play anime games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I said come in! posted:

I really don't get the point the author of this review is trying to make here, or why any of this matters?

I think the concept is that games are having non-white dude protagonists now but always conveniently in situations where they never have to examine the concept of race/racism. So in this example the main character is a black lady(?) which is cool but then she gets sent to a magical realm where those traits aren't significant compared to being from Earth.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 23, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Oh my God, Grayson Morley, you can't just ask people why they're black

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

16 hours...what's the shortest "open world" game you've seen guys? I guess technically No More Heroes at 13.5 and Brutal Legend at 12 were my shortest OW games.

A Short Hike

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I think we should all play Forspoken to find out exactly what that reviewer means.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hwurmp posted:

A Short Hike

game owns

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hwurmp posted:

A Short Hike

What a delightful little game that everyone should play.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Interesting thread from the Scarlet Hollow/Slay the Princess dev on how they approached marketing the latter game.

https://twitter.com/blacktabbygames/status/1617528958710616074

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Pwnstar posted:

I think the concept is that games are having non-white dude protagonists now but always conveniently in situations where they never have to examine the concept of race/racism. So in this example the main character is a black lady(?) which is cool but then she gets sent to a magical realm where those traits aren't significant compared to being from Earth.

Farcry 5 was way better at being meaningless

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Critiques on racial politics from gaming websites are pointless, but even if they did somehow strike a chord with game devs and industry execs world wide the response wouldn't be to start making smart, complex characters that reflect the reality of being black, or indeed any non-straight cis white male, in the world - it would be to stop making protagonists who aren't non-straight cis white males.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Pwnstar posted:

I think the concept is that games are having non-white dude protagonists now but always conveniently in situations where they never have to examine the concept of race/racism. So in this example the main character is a black lady(?) which is cool but then she gets sent to a magical realm where those traits don't matter compared to being from Earth.
The complaint might make an iota of sense if it was a generic protagonist whose Skin Tone slider was set to Dark to earn progressiveness points, but it's literally a starring voice/likeness role for a real black actress. It's hard to make that argument without also implicitly arguing that they shouldn't be casting black people in these kinds of roles.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

forget it volte, it's polygon

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today, to my shock, I discovered that Dark Devotion, Death's Gambit: Afterlife and Vigil the Longest Night aren't the same game. Despite having very similar art styles, being in the same genre, and having similarly wonky stories.

Has anyone else played them?

I think I played all of them for a bit. Death's Gambit didn't click with me at all, Dark Devotion got quite difficult somewhere after .. half way point? I don't actually know how much game was left when I quit but I did finish Vigil: The longest night, which is kinda my recommendation for a sleeper good game in the treaded soulslikecombatbutsomeprecisionplatforming genre. I think I would compare it most with Salt & Sanctuary, but with more realistic graphics. The dark atmosphere and the way the areas were connected really impressed me and I had fun throughout my gameplay.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

why does a game have to examine racism just because it has a diverse cast

This is still a really confusing criticism

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
leftishly calling up Amazon to demand that they either retcon Jim Crow into LOTR or remove all the nonwhites from their tv show

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today, to my shock, I discovered that Dark Devotion, Death's Gambit: Afterlife and Vigil the Longest Night aren't the same game. Despite having very similar art styles, being in the same genre, and having similarly wonky stories.

Has anyone else played them?

I've played Death's Gambit and Vigil: The Longest Night. I'd say nah to DG and yes to Vigil.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

leftishly calling up Amazon to demand that they either retcon Jim Crow into LOTR or remove all the nonwhites from their tv show

Every time there’s a hobbit of color on the screen they should be writing some dialogue about how they have issues because they’re different

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Forspoken Release Trailer Exploits Bogus Accolades

quote:

In one example, Square Enix lifted the word “Beautiful” from a December preview published over at Distractify. In context, however, the quote wasn’t saying that Forspoken was beautiful but that it had the “potential” to be a “beautiful story-driven game that will pull at your heartstrings with each new chapter.” It was, after all, a preview and not a review of the final game, though the site’s editor said she didn’t take issue with how the word was used.

In another example, the Final Fantasy maker quotes the word “impressive” from Game Informer. The only problem is that the word in question doesn’t even come from a hands-on preview, but from a news write-up of a gameplay trailer from a Sony State of Play. “Frey’s traversal abilities are impressive, allowing for fast movement in and out of combat, both in aerial and aquatic situations,” it reads.

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

[impressively]....good at....making....fun - Game Informer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's fair to analyze the portrayal of the black protagonist in a game whose developers said they worked hard to give her a "hip-hoppy kind of walk". that review is not a great analysis, but someone will do a much better job of it

meanwhile there's a new Steamworld game announced:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2134770/SteamWorld_Build/

this is a city builder, and not by Image & Form but Thunderful Development, and they also say they are working on three other Steamworld games. I'm not sure what to make of that. Is Image and Form no longer involved in Steamworld? is Thunderful Development their new name? i'm a little confused

e: looked it up and apparently I&F was merged with Zoink and became Thunderful Development so this is still them.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 23, 2023

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also, they didn't send out pc review codes for Forspoken so it might just be a total mess.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

it's fair to analyze the portrayal of the black protagonist in a game whose developers said they worked hard to give her a "hip-hoppy kind of walk". that review is not a great analysis, but someone will do a much better job of it

is it perhaps an exaggerated swagger

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

Also, they didn't send out pc review codes for Forspoken so it might just be a total mess.
The minimum spec demands 16gb of RAM and a 3.7ghz Core i7 to play at 720p 30fps. It's gonna be a fuckin' mess.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Trickyblackjack posted:

I think we should all play Forspoken to find out exactly what that reviewer means.

Found Greg Forspoken's account

Veotax
May 16, 2006

To be somewhat fair, minimum specs are probably going to go up in general as devs stop releasing on the PS4 and Xbone and finally focus on the PS5 and Series S & X. We haven't had many games so far that skipped the last generation due to shortages, but they're starting to happen.

Forspoken, Returnal and the Dead Space remake are all skipping the last gen of consoles and have fairly high minimum specs (all say they require 16GB of ram and a 10 series card for Nivida)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it happened at the end of 2021, it was not a recent thing.

Okay so I was going off of this support article which is dated this month and refers to a January cutoff date. I tried actually searching and you're close, this happened in January of 2021, evidenced by such articles as this, which links... to that exact same support article, including an identical copy-and-paste of its current contents. I then noticed that it says "Updated" next to the date, so... they overwrote the original post date with an updated version of the article that does not actually contain an update? Crawling the snapshots on archive.org reveals that, yes, the page is seemingly "updated" every few days or so. What a uniquely useless/misleading way of timestamping your support articles.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

lol

https://twitter.com/MckKirk/status/1617530521273405445

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veotax posted:

To be somewhat fair, minimum specs are probably going to go up in general as devs stop releasing on the PS4 and Xbone and finally focus on the PS5 and Series S & X. We haven't had many games so far that skipped the last generation due to shortages, but they're starting to happen.

Forspoken, Returnal and the Dead Space remake are all skipping the last gen of consoles and have fairly high minimum specs (all say they require 16GB of ram and a 10 series card for Nivida)
Returnal and Dead Space's recommended specs don't ask for 24gb RAM while still being stuck on 30fps (the "ultra" specs, the only ones that list 60fps, demand a whopping 32gb!)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Veotax posted:

720p at 30fps might have been a reasonable minimum target for a PC game in like 2008.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I said somewhat fair, I wasn't defending the game that much.

Also, I'm an idiot and skimmed Kins' post and didn't take in the resolution and framerate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

games have to be $70 now so they can keep up with quality standards

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like Forspoken bad, thank god, I can continue being a racist.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for all the negative press blowing up about it, it looks like forspoken's sitting at #2 on steam's "top sellers" list.

right behind the harry potter game at #1.

i don't appreciate that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

for all the negative press blowing up about it, it looks like forspoken's sitting at #2 on steam's "top sellers" list.

right behind the harry potter game at #1.

i don't appreciate that.

CONSUME
MEDIA

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Kins posted:

Returnal and Dead Space's recommended specs don't ask for 24gb RAM while still being stuck on 30fps (the "ultra" specs, the only ones that list 60fps, demand a whopping 32gb!)

the mid specs were for 30fps 1440p though
the specs to hit 60 on 1080p (the only resolution that matters) are gonna be lower

also it sounded to me like 720p on the min specs was "you cant play the game with a monitor smaller than this", not "this is all you can get with these specs" but idk i guess we'll see

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That review wasnt even that negative. It made it sound like it had typical AAA game drawbacks but with more fun combat than usual. A bland underutilized open world, excessive dialogue, side quests with uneven tone, and too much time dedicated to learning the mechanics is like every high budget game for the last 15 years.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

u should play anime games

im replaying Disco Elysium right now. Does that count?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Verge review is semi-positive about the game as an idea but even makes it seem like they ended up rushing Forspoken out the door, just a insanely detailed and complex combat system that boils down to "run in circle, spam the element enemy is weak to" and the last 'boss' is basically just a playable cutscene.

quote:

Narratively, Forspoken is interesting; mechanically and technically, not so much. The game feels unfinished, like there’s a level of technical polish missing.

I also didn’t appreciate how Forspoken encouraged exploration in the open world but then either enclosed part of that world in weird box canyons I couldn’t escape or neglected to fill the world with anything to discover. Athia is beautiful, with mountains and meadows and ominous-looking ruins; Athia is also drat-near completely empty. But Frey’s magical parkour abilities make endless running in an empty world enthralling.

I had so many spells at my disposal — fire, water, earth, electricity — and so many ways to hurt my opponents with those spells, like lances, arrows, swords, magical plants that spit rocks, a water prison, and a cool flechette type attack that hits the enemy all over its body. But most of my combat encounters were just swarms of enemies whose only technical complexity was their sheer number. Bosses were little more than really big monsters with two attacks and a lot of health.

Combat was one-note and — even worse — kinda useless. Frey powers up her magic with mana that she earns either through traditionally leveling up by fighting monsters or completing quests or by picking it up in the open world. Leveling up earns maybe 12-14 mana per level. Meanwhile, I can collect all the mana I want just by walking around.

But there’s a twist. I won’t reveal it here, but it felt like all of the action leading up to the final battle was cut, swapped out for an extended, partially playable cutscene. The final battle itself was also not great, a longer extension of the game’s “fight big guy with lots of health” standard. But the ending I chose (there is more than one) was fantastic and totally in line with me as a person and Frey as a character. By that ending, what had been a totally ho-hum back half transformed into something that’s probably gonna make my game of the year list.

"Game seems unfinished, it's my GOTY" lol

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 23, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hmm, maybe Forespoken won't do so well. Better double the price to recoup some costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That review could be describing a game like Greedfall, a typical 'good' eurojank open world RPG, not a massive AAA big budget title I assume is part of a planned series.